Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,612 members, 7,820,177 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer (24459 Views)

40 Things To Do Before You Turn 40, One Woman's Story / : INCREDIBLE! Woman Seen Breastfeeding While Speeding On Motorbike [PHOTO] / INCREDIBLE: Woman Who Reads And Sees The World Upside Down! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by Jok3r(m): 10:27am On Dec 21, 2014
Unbelievable.
etunoman76:
After the tripod was set, the photographer checked the angles to ensure the ‘balance’ was good. She then felt the buttons on the camera. Then, she looked into the lens. Camera. Ready. Action!

You may consider this the ordinary routine of a photographer. Yes it is. But, what makes it extraordinary is that Taiwo Lawal, the photographer, is totally blind.

Lawal, 35, felt her way round the tripod to our correspondent and explained with a smile, “At the start, I kept wondering how a blind person could learn photography. I thought it was impossible. But the person who introduced me to it said it was possible. So, I agreed to do it.”

She gave her consent to learn the art of photography two years ago. Now, Lawal takes photographs like someone that is not blind.

She continued: “I’ve learnt a lot about the lens of a camera, the view finder, LCD screen and so many parts of the camera.”

Medical science has stated that blind people tend to show enhanced ability in the other senses. This probably applies to Lawal.

Giving an insight into how she is mastering the art of photography, Lawal said she uses her sense of hearing and touch to take pictures.

She said, “If I want to take a picture, I would go to where the person is, and feel his location; then I would communicate with the person to sense the direction, as the sound of the person tells me where he or she is.

“Also, if I want to take pictures of nature, I first feel the object by touching it, then move back and take the picture. When I touch a flower, for instance, I see the colours in my mind. I can also tell if someone is happy or sad, because I know it would be reflected in the picture.”

Lawal put her skill to use as she took many shots of our correspondent and the surroundings.

“Some time ago in Ikeja, someone expressed doubt on the ability of a blind person to take photographs. Immediately, I took my camera and demonstrated to him,”she said, laughing.

But does she have an idea of the outcome of the shots she takes?

Lawal, answered, “Whenever I take pictures, I know it would be beautiful, because I see them in my mind.”

Before photography found her, Lawal had learnt some few trades which included: bead-making and bag-making. These took her four years.

Her photography has, however, been taking her places. Recently, she won an award at the International Day of Persons Living with Disabilites, which held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

“Lawal is the first blind photographer I’ve ever heard of. She’s an inspiration,” said Mrs. Bitebo Gogo, Executive Director, Keeping It Real Foundation, which organised the event.

Also, last year, Lawal met American Joe McNally, a globally renowned photographer at a photography exhibition.

“When we discussed, he encouraged me to continue with my work. I was happy meeting him, because I never thought I would ever meet such important people. Now, I no longer feel bad because I do not see. If I were not blind, maybe I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am today,” Lawal said, adding that she wants to pursue a career in photography.

“Taking pictures makes me happy. Also, it has helped me forget my past sorrows, when some people didn’t appreciate me and I endured a lot of insults,” she said.

For more on this story, go to:

http://www.punchng.com/feature/incredible-woman-story-of-nigerias-first-blind-photographer/
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 21, 2014
Just like Cobhams Asuquo; the blind music producer. Anything is possible. There is Ability in every Disability...
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 21, 2014
God is wonderful!
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 21, 2014
EternalBeing:
Wow! Impossible?! Yes, impossible is nothing to those that believe. Better things awaits you, read: https://www.nairaland.com/2054822/dont-wait-till-6-strong#29067882

https://www.nairaland.com/2043300/thread-persons-disability

pls go see bro
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 21, 2014
it is a great pleasure for me to share a short but wonderul story posted by haftob on my thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2043300/thread-persons-disability.

"The most intelligent person I've ever met in my life was a blind guy I met in A-levels skul, this guy is extremely "intelligently versatile" that he will describe to u perfectly the playing style of messi,ronaldo and other popular footballers. He can also tell u the players dat scored in any chelsea match against any team in any season lyk 6 seasons bak and even tell u the minutes they scored. Ask dis guy the meaning of any word in the dictionary, he will give u instantly and will even give u synonyms. Ask him about history;European,african etc, the guy is just superb! Since I met him,i don't underrate disabled ppl cos the guy made me bliv disability is not inability".

NOW, LOOK AT THAT! LOOK AT THAT!!

MERRY XMAS TO U ALL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by adewumiopeyemi(m): 12:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
She's Talented, hardworking, beautiful, industrious, encouraging and she's a Nigerian.Happy she didnt turn to be a begger on the street. May God help and continue to be ur strenght.
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by 33coded(m): 1:21pm On Dec 21, 2014
Dis is incredible...dynamism of God at work.Kip up d gud work Lady.
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by bigiyaro(m): 1:21pm On Dec 21, 2014
OP, post some of her own works or idonbelieveit.
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by Ilekeh(f): 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2014
Can we see some art samples?
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by dotcomnamename: 3:37pm On Dec 21, 2014
Smartsyn:
thats cool, but i aint inviting u for my wedding ceremony, i can't take that risk...

[size=30pt]You're a symptom of discrimination [/size]
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by naturefellow(m): 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
Just amazing!!! Watching Scent of a Woman (starring Al Pacino) only a few days ago made me to imagine the possibility of living a day in my life without use of my vision.
It is really awe-inspiring how visually-impaired persons pursue a normal, uninhibited life by maximising the use of the rest senses. It is sort of a challenge to me!
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by Angoni(m): 7:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
Cool, would have been nice to see some of the pictures she has actually taken. Bless her soul!
Re: Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer by fatytoy333(m): 10:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hero10001:
*yinmu*
Quite unfortunate that you made such comment.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Have You Lost Interest In? / What Is The Hardest Question You've Ever Been Asked? / The Long Snake I Killed Today.......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.