Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Pirated Copies Of Obasanjo’s Book Sell For N7,000 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pirated Copies Of Obasanjo’s Book Sell For N7,000 (445 Views)

See The "Baby Mamas" Of Obasanjo's 21 Children . / What Is Wrong With This Photo Of Obasanjo And Akon / Cleaner Gets N7,200 Salary Increment For Returning N12 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pirated Copies Of Obasanjo’s Book Sell For N7,000 by 9jagistonline(m): 8:01am On Dec 22, 2014
Pirated copies of former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s controversial autobiography titled ‘My Watch’ have flooded the streets of Lagos State, selling for as low as N7,000.

The development came after a Federal Capital Territory High Court judge, Justice Valentine Ashi, ordered that security agents, including the police and men of the Department of State Service, should confiscate all copies of the book.

Our correspondent learnt that Obasanjo’s original book which has three volumes, costs about N15, 000 while the pirated copy, which has two volumes, costs less than half the price and comes in a white cover as opposed to the original’s yellow and brown colour.

Our correspondent, who spoke to hawkers selling the book in the Maryland and Opebi areas of the state, was told that Obasanjo’s original book had become scarce.

One of the traders, who spoke to our correspondent on Opebi Road, said traders knew that the original would become scarce after a court ordered its seizure and so pirates seized the opportunity to make money.

He said, “My friend, you know this book is illegal now and we are even taking a huge risk selling it. The controversy in the pages of the book and the controversy that it has continued to generate in society have made it a bestseller.

“I usually sell it between N11,000 and N7,000 depending on the negotiating power of the customer.”

When asked where he usually got the books from, he said, “You want to spoil my market? Of course I can’t tell you.”

Obasanjo’s book, which centres on his life in the military, as a democratic president and after office, became a legal issue shortly before its publication when the Chairman, Organisation and Mobilisation Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party in the South-West, Buruji Kashamu, took the matter to court in an attempt to prevent Obasanjo from launching the book.

However, Obasanjo on December 9, 2014, went ahead to publish the book and the judge ordered that the books be confiscated.

Re: Pirated Copies Of Obasanjo’s Book Sell For N7,000 by newspapers: 6:32pm On Dec 23, 2014
HAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

Was shocked when i saw it on diva too ooooo (http://www.divanaija.com.ng/pirated-version-obasanjos-book-watch-sale/)

our Naija people sharp sha.... lolzzzz

(1) (Reply)

Naija Got Talent. / What's Your New Year's Resolution / The Best Booties Of 2014!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.