Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,123 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence (12864 Views)

Akinyemi Agbede Running For U.S. Senate / APC USA Writes Buhari And Osinbajo, Congratulates And Warns Them / Ijaw Youths Accepts Buhari, Warns Against Violence- Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by ikecheff: 8:52am On Dec 22, 2014
A former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi, on Sunday asked President Goodluck Jonathan and the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) to sign a Memorandum of Undertaking that will commit them to control their supporters against violence after the 2015 general elections.

Akinyemi, in an open letter to President Jonathan and Buhari, warned that the 2015 elections would be worse than that of 2011 because “the illegal massive importation of weapons into the country has reached an alarming rate.”

He said, “The first step is for the two presidential aspirants to sign a MoU that will commit both to a civil and peaceful campaign, devoid of threats and a commitment to preach peaceful elections to their supporters.

“The certainty of violence after the 2015 elections is higher that it was in 2011. If President Jonathan wins, the North would erupt into violence as it did in 2011. If Buhari wins, the Niger Delta will erupt into violence. I don’t believe we need rocket science to make this prediction.”

The former minister said the prediction from the “United States of America’s semi-official sources that the world is expecting a cataclysmic meltdown of Nigeria nation come 2015” should be taken seriously.

According to him, supporters of whoever loses should be entitled to peaceful protests but not violent protests.

He also called on the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar; the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Lamido Sanusi; the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade and a former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (retd.) to facilitate a pre-election meeting between Jonathan and Buhari and to assist in managing the post-election conflicts.

He recalled that prior to the 2011 elections; his advice on the management of post-election violence was not heeded.

“Now, we are back at the same crossroads, except that this time is more precarious and dangerous than the last time. There are states and movements out there, African and non-African which do not mean well for Nigeria and who wish Nigeria dissolve into a theater of bloodshed, gore and instability. They will succeed if we continue the politics of making enemies of ourselves and friends of our enemies,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/politics/2015-akinyemi-warns-jonathan-buhari-against-violence/

6 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by KenJak(m): 8:54am On Dec 22, 2014
If this election is going to be peaceful, I mean, if it's going to be free and fair, it all lie on Jonathan being the active president(though apart from God).

5 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by makazona(m): 9:00am On Dec 22, 2014
the man is a true patriot.lets hope the government will take a close look at this letter and do the needful.

8 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by omanifrank(m): 9:03am On Dec 22, 2014
ok na

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by eleojo23: 9:08am On Dec 22, 2014
The youth must be wise. There is no use killing yourselves over people who don't really care about you.
I wish the easily incited beings up north will realize this.

10 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Nobody: 9:12am On Dec 22, 2014
I pray and hope Nigeria pulls through....

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by holatin(m): 9:15am On Dec 22, 2014
nigeria- a place some criminal can threat choice of candidate.

Buhari LA president

8 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by dregmaster: 9:15am On Dec 22, 2014
Very reasonable advice, but once again it may not be taken. Sir, you may need to initiate the process yourself, mobilising those suggested in the write-up and see how far you can go.

Property for sale/lease/rent
https://www.nairaland.com/1941142/

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by miracle4(m): 9:16am On Dec 22, 2014
General Sani Abacha was used as the sacrificial lamb of the heinous totalitarianistic government of the past.

The only reason we still celebrate the other dictators such as Buhari, Babangida, Gowon e' tat who aren't less ‪#‎despotic‬ than Mr Sani Abacha is because they didn't have the honour of dying in power without grounds to cover-up their loots.

We need Shun ‪#‎Tyranny‬, be weary of ‪#‎Oppressors‬ to make Nigeria work!

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by nerodenero: 10:00am On Dec 22, 2014
Nice submission from the Prof but I doubt the desperate candidates would yield.

My submission might sound unpatriotic but FG should seek another alternative instead of using Corp members to execute this election.FG has failed woefully in terms of security and I don't think they can guarantee the right protection for these graduates.

Just my humble opinion!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by sleekpro(m): 10:40am On Dec 22, 2014
The problem with nigeria and africa at large, is that, we try to practice a system of government that is noot ours.
Democracy is not made for africans, we were born to have RULERS not LEADERS.
Every thing we do today are being introduse to us by the westernersn, that's the problem we are having.
We are africans, we are black, we are made to be RULED, not. To be LEAD!
If you like insult me, I don talk am!
#demonstrationofcraze#

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by motherlode: 10:47am On Dec 22, 2014
Hmm, the patriotic nigerians don't want a division but a united Nigeria. " United we stand,divided we fall "
Only if those can be put in place, then it would be better but i foresee GEJ'S supporters doing the protest while GMB celebrates as the new president! grin

5 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by eminikansoso(m): 11:12am On Dec 22, 2014
ikecheff:
In a bid yo prevent chaos in 2015 elections, Prof. Akinyemi, former Minister of External
Affairs and Deputy Chairman, 2014 National Conference writes an open letter to President Jonathan and Buhari.

Read the letter below..

Your Excellencies,

Shortly after his appointment as the National Security Adviser, Gen. Owoye Andrew Azazi, at his own request, met with me in my office in Lagos to discuss the State of the Nation. It was on the eve of the 2011 elections. I told the General that I was not worried about the conduct of the
elections or about the outcome which I expected President Goodluck Jonathan to win. What really worried me, I told the General, was the management of the violence that would ensue
after the elections. I was sure that there would be violence on a massive scale and I made some
suggestions to him about how I thought the violence could be contained. My suggestions were not acted upon. The elections occurred,President Jonathan won and all hell broke loose.
Missing were the conflict controlled measures which I had discussed with Gen. Azazi.Now, we are back at the same crossroads again,except this time is more precarious and
dangerous than the last time. Firstly, we have this very notorious prediction from the United States of America’s semi-official sources that the world is expecting a cataclysmic meltdown of the Nigerian nation come 2015. Of course, most Nigerians have taken umbrage at this prediction for their country. But there are Nigerians who are indifferent to the outcome of this prediction. One
of my low moments during the just concluded 2014 National Conference was when in an attempt to break an impasse, I painted a grim picture of devastation which would follow a breakdown of the Nigerian state, to which a delegate between 45 and 55 years old replied, “So what?” I thought to
myself, here is a man who would probably run away to a neighbouring country at the boom of the first gun but was callously indifferent to the fate of the youth, women and children who would be caught in the middle.Secondly, the certainty of violence after the 2015 elections is higher than it was in 2011. If
President Jonathan wins, the North would erupt into violence as it did in 2011. If Buhari wins, the Niger Delta will erupt into violence. I don’t believe that we need rocket science to make this
prediction.The violence of 2015 is going to be horrendous and worse than the one of 2011 for the simple reason that the illegal massive importation of weapons into the country has reached such alarming proportions that I really wonder which is better armed, the militias on the one hand or the official armed forces on the other hand. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not imputing the illegal importation of arms to any particular zone. Some years ago, some Iranians were arrested for bringing in a shipload of weapons into Lagos
harbour. They were tried and jailed and then smuggled out of the country. Some months ago,
sophisticated weapons were discovered buried in the basement of a Kano house. All these have now fallen below the radar. These are the ones we
know about. How many do we not know about?There are states and movements out there, African and non-African, which do not mean well for the Nigerian state, which wish Nigeria to dissolve into a theatre of bloodshed, gore and instability. They will succeed if we continue the politics of making enemies of ourselves and friends of our enemies.
WHAT IS THE WAY FORWARD:
The first step forward is for the two presidential candidates to meet and sign a Memorandum of Undertaking that will commit both to:A civil and peaceful campaign, devoid of threats.
A commitment to preach peaceful elections to their supporters.A commitment to control their supporters after
the elections. Supporters of whoever loses should be entitled to peaceful protests but not
to violent protests.I also appeal to the following:The Sultan, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III; the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi
II; the Lamido of Adamawa, Alhaji Muhammadu Barkindo Mustapha; the Ooni of Ife, Oba
Okunade Sijuwade; the Oba of Benin, Omo N’oba Erediauwa; Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Pastor
Ayo Oritsejafor, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, His Excellency General Yakubu Gowon and His Excellency, Gen. Abubakar Abdulsalami to facilitate the pre-election meeting between the
candidates, the preparation of the Memorandum of Undertaking and as a Council of Wisemen to assist in managing the post-election conflicts.

Yours sincerely
Prof. Akinyemi

Source: http:///4mc
Thanks Prof
If all Nigerians can vote for another credible candidate than these Jonathan and Buhari

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:09pm On Dec 22, 2014
We know those that will erupt post election violence, and they know themselves. They are the people that were involved in the failed-arms purchase in South Africa. They are the people that bought gun boats.

5 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by anonimi: 12:26pm On Dec 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
We know those that will erupt post election violence, and they know themselves. They are the people that were involved in the failed-arms purchase in South Africa. They are the people that bought gun boats.

Were they the ones involved in the 2011 electoral violence?
Don't you think you are taking this thing too far

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Sealeddeal(m): 12:46pm On Dec 22, 2014
The plan credited to the Prof is very good. the north is the major source of concern. The Niger deltans can never resort to wanton destruction of lifes because of electoral losses. The North of nigeria is notorious in intimidation,violence whenever they suffer any political loss. I will equally advise all southerners living in North to relocate till the issue of February election is sorted out.

8 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by ikecheff: 12:50pm On Dec 22, 2014
Sealeddeal:
The plan credited to the Prof is very good. the north is the major source of concern. The Niger deltans can never resort to wanton destruction of lifes because of electoral losses. The North of nigeria is notorious in intimidation,violence whenever they suffer any political loss. I will equally advise all southerners living in North to relocate till the issue of February election is sorted out.
.Do u think it is easy to leave?Do u expect them to leave their businesses and education and come back?It is not easy as u think

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Sealeddeal(m): 12:57pm On Dec 22, 2014
[
Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Sealeddeal(m): 12:58pm On Dec 22, 2014
ikecheff:
.Do u think it is easy to leave?Do u expect them to leave their businesses and education and come back?It is not easy as u think
Just one month ;february. Its not that difficult.
Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:01pm On Dec 22, 2014
anonimi:

Were they the ones involved in the 2011 electoral violence?
Don't you think you are taking this thing too far
Go find out.

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Maczeelly(m): 1:02pm On Dec 22, 2014
Attention seeker

Watching on my 8D
Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 22, 2014
I pray they can both be civil.
Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by ireneony(f): 1:02pm On Dec 22, 2014
This man face be like shit.
Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Algebra12: 1:03pm On Dec 22, 2014
Time is of the essence!

Prof. we would require you to initiate this meeting and the earlier the better.
If not, the ensuing cataclysmic violence that will follow will have all of us running for our lives.

NB: Internet paid agents be warned!!!
Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 22, 2014
No its JEGA's work...I disagree, if Buhari defeats Jonathan randomly and squarely, only Bayelsa would erupt in .......
If Jega fails to redeem himself and his institutions, walahi, mosquitoes and flies might be soaked in ........
The good thing is that only the South South is mobilising for violence with warships etc.....
The North would vote according to the bitter lessons they have learnt from 2011 - 2015 under the leadership of .......

4 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by omenka(m): 1:04pm On Dec 22, 2014
I'm totally in support of this. They should also sign a pact against rigging. It must be a single vote for every individual.

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
ireneony:
This man face be $£"*&(££.

Grow up.

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by dridowu: 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
Say No To War
Say Yes To Nigeria

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by Algebra12: 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

Go find out.

You need to be realistic and stop throwing unfounded allegations around. Exactly what the prof is saying to minimize.

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence by omenka(m): 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
ireneony:
This man face be like shit.
Smh.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired / Kogi's Rank On Reduced Domestic Debts, Highest FDI Linked To Bello's Policies / Over 1000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Sokoto (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.