Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL (5459 Views)

Woman Who Donated Life Savings Of 1million Naira To Buhari Critically Ill. / Metuh Scuttled Jonathan’s Reelection For Losing Post To Fani-kayode — PDP Worker / Old Mama Who Donated N1m To Buhari, Pictured With Tinubu, Atiku And Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by agabusta: 9:25am On Dec 22, 2014
Ayeni’s NATCOM to Acquire Moribund NITEL for $252.25m- THISDAY Newspaper

04 Dec 2014

By Adebiyi Adedapo

At last, a telecommunications consortium NATCOM has emerged the preferred bidder for the moribund Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL) and its mobile arm, the Mobile Telecommunications (M-Tel), after offering to pay $252,251,000 under a guided liquidation process for both firms.

During the financial bid process held on Wednesday in Abuja for NITEL/M-Tel by the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), the consortium had initially offered to acquire them for $221 million, but the offer was rejected by the Vice-Chairman of the Technical Committee of the National Council on Privatisation (NCP), Alhaji Haruna Sambo, for falling below the reserve price.

NATCOM however won the bid when it eventually offered $252.25 million.

NATCOM has as one of its main promoters, Mr. Tunde Ayeni, who only a year ago was the chief promoter of Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Company Limited, which acquired Ibadan and Yola Distribution Companies (Discos) under the power sector reform and privatisation process.

Ayeni, who has interests in the oil and gas, power and banking sectors, is also the Chairman of Skye Bank Plc, which only recently acquired Mainstreet Bank (former Afribank) from the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON).

Announcing NATCOM’s emergence as the preferred bidder, Sambo said: “I am happy to announce that the revised bid has met the reserve price.”

Two bidders – NATCOM and NETTAG - had been prequalified by the BPE to participate in the liquidation process, but the latter was disqualified for failing to include a $10 million bid bond as stipulated in the Request for Proposals (RFP) prepared by the privatisation agency.

Reading from the relevant section, Sambo explained that the RFP required that “each bidder shall furnish, as part of its proposal, a bid bond in the form of Bank Guarantee or a Letter of Credit in the sum of $10 million. The bid bond must be enclosed with the Technical Proposal.

“The Bank Guarantee or Letter of Credit shall be from a reputable bank acceptable to BPE and the liquidator and be valid for 120 days from the deadline for submission of proposals. Provisions must be made for extension of the term of the bid bond if the validity period is extended.”

He said following the disqualification of the NETTAG consortium as a result of its failure to submit a bid bond with its technical proposal, only the financial bid of NATCOM was prequalified for opening.
NATCOM, he disclosed, had scored 92 per cent when its technical proposal was evaluated, which was above the minimum pass mark of 75 per cent, and had met the requirement for moving on to the financial bid stage with the submission of a valid bid bond.

Sambo, who represented Mr. Atedo Peterside, Chairman of NCP’s Technical Committee, said as stipulated under the RFP, 30 per cent of bid price is to be made within 15 days of notification of the winning bid while the balance would be paid within 90 days.

He recalled that as part of the reform of the Nigerian Telecommunications sector, a new National Telecommunications Policy was adopted in August 2000 and a new Nigerian Communications Act was passed into law in 2003.

According to him, the new legal framework provided the basis upon which the process for privatising NITEL commenced in 2001, stating that since then, there had been four different unsuccessful attempts to privatise NITEL to private operators and one failed management contract.

He said all the measures were aimed at repositioning the company to play a significant role in the Nigerian economy.

Enumerating previous attempts that had gone belly up, Sambo said the first entailed the strategic core investor sale of 51 per cent of NITEL to Investors International London Limited (IILL) in 2001.

Others included the failed management contract by Pentascope in 2003-4; the aborted Orascom Telecoms bid in 2005; the strategic core investor sale of 75 per cent through a negotiated sales strategy to Transcorp cancelled in 2009; and the strategic core investor sale in 2011 when New Generation Communications Limited and Omen International emerged as preferred and reserved bidders respectively.

He said it was after a review of the chequered history of the privatisation of NITEL that the NCP at its meeting of February 27, 2012 approved the privatisation of NITEL through guided liquidation.

The strategy, Sambo explained, was adopted by the council after due consideration of other options and in the light of the previous failed attempts to privatise NITEL through various attempts, as well as the companies’ huge liabilities to creditors of over N300 billion.

Earlier, the Director General of BPE, Mr. Benjamin Dikki, said the NCP had faced numerous challenges including unpaid terminal benefits to ex-staff of NITEL, salary arrears of the retained staff and outsourced security personnel, and accumulated unpaid licence fees, among others to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

He added that with the active support of the federal government, BPE was able to overcome the challenges.

In her remarks, the Minister of Communications Technology Mrs. Omobola Johnson, said the privatisation of the government-owned telecoms firm was the last segment in the well thought-out reform of the nation’s telecommunication sector, which commenced since 2000.

She assured Nigerians that government would continue to review and fine-tune policies that would continue to provide an enabling environment for the growth and development of a private sector-driven Nigeria telecommunications industry.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ayeni-s-natcom-to-acquire-moribund-nitel-for-252-25m/195773/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by agabusta: 9:25am On Dec 22, 2014
There the story goes. NITEL was recently sold to Tunde Ayeni's NATCOM consortium for $252.25 million, approximately 47.3b naira. And he is appreciating Jona publicly by donating 2 billion naira for his reelection campaign. Only God knows how much he will use to appreciate him in secret.

Selling Nitel to a private company is actually a good move. But the investor now coming out to be donating exorbitant amount to the president's reelection sets off a bad precedence. It actually seems like a bribe in disguise.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by eunisam: 9:28am On Dec 22, 2014
Is a goodthing he bought is.at least to blow wind of life to the death nitel

1 Like

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Realist5: 9:32am On Dec 22, 2014
Imagin our give and take POLITICIANS

3 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:34am On Dec 22, 2014
That jonathan has exactly 156 Days to spend in Aso Rock is not even contestable! The only debate in the mouth of the people is, where he would be heading to! ICC or Okiriki

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Baawaa(m): 9:36am On Dec 22, 2014
Nigeria politics is LOTTO you put 2billion naira,you get 200billion naira."GIVE and TAKE"

8 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by jacabi(m): 10:10am On Dec 22, 2014
I have been wondering who is Tunde Ayeni. I no know say im be new nitel boss.

1 Like

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by docadams: 10:45am On Dec 22, 2014
Nigeria is being ruled like a conquered territory where the masses are treated as second class citizens. I thought enterpreneurs are supposed to thread carefully on the political landscape. I wonder how this Thunder will cope in the coming new political dispensation.

3 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by asodeboyede(m): 10:52am On Dec 22, 2014
Privatisation gone padi-padi!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by fkaz(m): 10:58am On Dec 22, 2014
The same Tunde ayeni bought mainstreet bank,Ibadan & yola power disco(phcn) recently, is like the man is ready to buy nigeria if jona will sell

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by rozayx5(m): 11:04am On Dec 22, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:
That jonathan has exactly 156 Days to spend in Aso Rock is not even contestable! The only debate in the mouth of the people is, where he would be heading to! ICC or Okiriki

undecided undecided
you have only one vote

5 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Haywhymido(m): 11:46am On Dec 22, 2014
Actually, i skipped dat God damn passage.I careless abt him. His type of man doesn't move me. Humanitarians does.
Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by jumu: 11:50am On Dec 22, 2014
gej you are corrupt that is kick back

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Canme4u(m): 11:50am On Dec 22, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:
Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by oziegbe2015: 12:15pm On Dec 22, 2014
only blind people cant see the truth, so you now know who the fg privatized our nepa, nitel, etc to, they gave it to their friends who did not even pay the full amounts for payments. Do u now see the whole privatization story is a scam. It is not given to the whites or even ready nigerians with ideas but to their friends who would continue to sink us. Gej spearheaded it all, he should be arrested and jailed by Buhari2015

10 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by kkkp: 12:16pm On Dec 22, 2014
They keep selling our properties to themselves and call it privatization.

4 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Swizdoe(m): 12:22pm On Dec 22, 2014
kkkp:
They keep selling our properties to themselves and call it privatization.
That's the definition of privatization by the present government.
I pray they don't sell the whole Nigeria before leaving the office

5 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by daey118(m): 12:24pm On Dec 22, 2014
Where are the GEJ supporters on Nl

5 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by RockMaxi: 12:37pm On Dec 22, 2014
The handwriting is becoming clearer by the day that GEJ will not even talk about corruption when elected talkless of tackling it. As it is everything is now on a free fall until the shoeless president is re-elected. embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Adminisher: 12:43pm On Dec 22, 2014
Weak, corrupt, clueless, lacking in honour. The most important black nation in the world cannot have such a down syndrome afflicted childhood man running amok. We have to rescue our children's future from this gang. Ayeni is probably just a front man for Clueless and some other people. All these sales are going to be reversed.

6 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by feeekey(f): 1:29pm On Dec 22, 2014
Oga jona don shatter my hrt to pieces wit ds info.make God enter buhari's hrt to trat d masses fairly @ least.gej's admininstration where d rich her gettin 100 folds richer by d day ds govt is really a bad one if there was a better cum neutral/fresh candidate I won't hesistate to vote him/her coz we don't even knw .make God jus have mercy on us and make a merciful person our next pressy .ds we nigerian youths ask for oh GOD AMEN!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Sibabasibaba1: 1:38pm On Dec 22, 2014
Ayeni has not done what isn't done in other climes. That is how it is done everywhere in the world. If you know anything about the elite policy network theory, you will know that in every country, the elites rule. Even if Buhari comes in tomorrow, nothing will change. The only thing that will change is that another set of elites will share our commonwealth. Is it not Tinubu and his cronies that run Lagos? Hypocrisy is when you condemn one bad act because you are not involved and keep mute on a similar act when you are involved. I will leave you with part of an essay I wrote 6 years ago on where power lies in the US communication policymaking: I used the elite policy network theory to illuminate my points.
-------------------------

Elite policy networks, as we noted earlier, is another theory that will help us understand where power lies in the making of communication policy in the USA and who has benefited. The theory sees policies as serving the interests of the dominant class in the society. The theory is all about links and connections. It explains how circle of friends and associates pull the secret strings that produce or review policies. Wright Mills (1956: 292) notes that “ the conception of power elite and of its unity rests upon the… coincidence of interests among economic, political, and military organisations. It also rests upon the similarity of origins and outlook, and the social and personal intermingling of the top circles from each of these dominant hierarchies”.

For instance, in the mid 1980s, Hollywood producers used their links with the White House to influence the FCC to drop rules that curb the networks’ control over program production. The Hollywood producers, who may lose business if the change went through, pressurised President Ronald Reagan, who had long- term ties with the movie industry. “The President, in turn, called in the FCC chair for an unprecedented informational talk. Congress, responding to Hollywood lobbyists, added its pressure. The FCC withdrew its plan to deregulate the networks’ program-making role” (Head and Sterling, 1990:435). This confirms Mosco (1979: 128) position that “…evidence suggests…a considerable amount of industry influence is exerted not directly on the commission but through the Congress by the control that broadcasters have over the access of representatives. … Any proposal to insulate the commission from industry influence would therefore have to deal with the complex of relationships in which the commission is embedded”.

Another example comes from the 1996 Telecommunication Act. The camaraderie between the then President Bill Clinton’s government and the computer community, influenced the Act to a large extent. From Aufderheide (1999: 40), we can trace the White House connection that shaped the Act. According to her, “…The Clinton-Gore campaign strategically positioned itself as forward looking on technology issues, making friends in the computer community and handsomely collecting campaign contributions from computing and telecommunications companies in the process”. And on assumption of office, after winning the presidential elections in 1992, Clinton and Gore appointed as FCC chairman, their friend, Reed Hundt, with an implied term of reference of handling the regulatory details of the Act when enacted. Hundt reveals his links with the duo thus: “I had been Al Gore’s friend since high school and an adviser to him in his 1990 presidential campaign…I had known Bill Clinton since we were in law school together (Hundt, 2000: ix).

Explaining the part he would play as FCC chairman in the shaping of the Act, he adds: “My duty, as I saw it, would be to fulfil Al’s vision for the information highway. …We would cause new technologies to spread across the country. …The Democratic Congress would rewrite the 1934 Communications Act to replace monopoly with competition, in accordance with Al Gore’s wishes. …From the White House, Vice President Gore would negotiate the new law with Congress, and at the FCC I would handle the fascinating details of issuing the regulations that put any necessary law into specific meaning and effect” (Hundt 2000: 7).

So from the perspective of this theory, we can be infer that communication policies can actually originate from any meeting of friends and associates at any location. Positions are also ‘allocated’ at such meetings to ‘dependable’ persons that would help frustrate opposition. The theory also helps us understand how policies cloaked in the garb of ‘public interest’ may actually be aimed at furthering a group’s ambition or at protecting shared industry and political interests.

We will again use the 1996 Telecommunication Act as an example. Hundt (2000: 4-5) illuminates this for us: “The day after the November 1992 election, Al Gore’s closest advisers sat in attendance on the Vice President-elect on his modest suite at the Colonial Hotel in Little Rock. … Al proceeded down a list of things to do, assigning everyone some task. …I had long wanted the opportunity of public service. …If the Vice- President wanted to cause change in this part of the economy, he needed someone dependable at the FCC”. Hundt goes further to let us into the meetings where the specifics of the Act were drafted: “A dozen of us met at least once in two weeks in Al’s west wing office. …In order to promote economic growth, the group wanted to stimulate investment in new communication technologies. … To these ends, Al and his team crafted a policy that reversed the century-old ordering of the information sector into separate monopolies, each tightly regulated by FCC and the local governments… (Hundt, 2000:8-9).

Again, Hundt provides us with another apt illustration of elite power networks’ relevance in the analysing US communications policy: “The night I was sworn in, Betsy and I went to the White House…to a jazz concert hosted by Ameritech, the Midwestern Bell telephone company. …Ameritech’s fate depended on how the administration chose to rewrite the nation’s communication laws. The company’s corporate officers sat with the President. I was in the back of the room with Quello. … But from the quaint, edenic politics of friendship, I had won the job I wanted” (Hundt, 2000: 17). And Ameritech, too, benefited from its closeness with government. According to Aufderheide (1999: 59), when the Congress finally passed the bill, it addressed specific concerns “from a variety of perspectives. Ameritech, which already had a burglar alarm business, was exempted from the clauses restricting Bells from entry into the service, which hooks up to phone lines”.

From the foregoing, therefore, it will be safe to say that the real power in the making of communications policy in the USA lies in the hands of the dominant class in the society and large corporations since they have the wherewithal with which they can bankroll election campaigns, influence political appointments and lobby regulators as well as legislators. Aufderheide (1999:41-43), description of the unprecedented lobbying in the Congress before the enactment of 1996 Telecommunication Act captures this point better:

"As the House bill was put to vote in July 1995, Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) called the process ‘living proof of what unlimited money can do to buy influence and the Congress of the United States’.… Those with more money probably got more of what they wanted.… By contrast, consumer, religious, minority, disabled, and other constituencies profoundly affected by communication decision making were hardly represented with PAC money, and many advocates on behalf of civil rights, the poor, children, and other vulnerable constituencies found it difficult even to raise telecommunications as a significant social rights and justice issue in the press, legislators’ offices, or at foundations. … In short lobbyists for communications and mass media interests profoundly influenced and often drafted, legislation…"

It, therefore, goes without saying that large corporations and the dominant class have benefited from US communications policies. Of course, they cannot spend money to influence policies without benefiting.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by blackfase(m): 1:52pm On Dec 22, 2014
Nigeria is no more than a giant board of Monopoly where the wieldy rodents are grabbing all the grabables & leaving jack for the hapless citizens. Which way my people.....

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by iWitnessng: 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2014
An entrepreneur making such donations after recently purchasing Nitel, is questionable.
Visit www.iwitnessng.com and download iwitness app for real time updates of the electoral process.

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by holatin(m): 1:56pm On Dec 22, 2014
Really ,?

loan tins
Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by psquaret: 1:59pm On Dec 22, 2014
Chai where does guys they get them money from 2b naira for donation hmm there is God oh

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Pangea: 2:36pm On Dec 22, 2014
Was he not the former lawyer of Alamieyeseigha ?
Who was arrested by EFCC under Nuhu Ribadu for money laundering ?
Nigerian economy being run by fraudsters since 1960.
What you guys are seeing is the same stolen money being recycled !

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by PervRocker: 2:52pm On Dec 22, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
Ayeni has not done what isn't done in other climes. That is how it is done everywhere in the world. If you know anything about the elite policy network theory, you will know that in every country, the elites rule. Even if Buhari comes in tomorrow, nothing will change. The only thing that will change is that another set of elites will share our commonwealth. Is it not Tinubu and his cronies that run Lagos? Hypocrisy is when you condemn one bad act because you are not involved and keep mute on a similar act when you are involved. I will leave you with part of an essay I wrote 6 years ago on where power lies in the US communication policymaking: I used the elite policy network theory to illuminate my points.

Elite policy networks, as we noted earlier, is another theory that will help us understand where power lies in the making of communication policy in the USA and who has benefited. The theory sees policies as serving the interests of the dominant class in the society. The theory is all about links and connections. It explains how circle of friends and associates pull the secret strings that produce or review policies. Wright Mills (1956: 292) notes that “ the conception of power elite and of its unity rests upon the… coincidence of interests among economic, political, and military organisations. It also rests upon the similarity of origins and outlook, and the social and personal intermingling of the top circles from each of these dominant hierarchies”.

For instance, in the mid 1980s, Hollywood producers used their links with the White House to influence the FCC to drop rules that curb the networks’ control over program production. The Hollywood producers, who may lose business if the change went through, pressurised President Ronald Reagan, who had long- term ties with the movie industry. “The President, in turn, called in the FCC chair for an unprecedented informational talk. Congress, responding to Hollywood lobbyists, added its pressure. The FCC withdrew its plan to deregulate the networks’ program-making role” (Head and Sterling, 1990:435). This confirms Mosco (1979: 128) position that “…evidence suggests…a considerable amount of industry influence is exerted not directly on the commission but through the Congress by the control that broadcasters have over the access of representatives. … Any proposal to insulate the commission from industry influence would therefore have to deal with the complex of relationships in which the commission is embedded”.

Another example comes from the 1996 Telecommunication Act. The camaraderie between the then President Bill Clinton’s government and the computer community, influenced the Act to a large extent. From Aufderheide (1999: 40), we can trace the White House connection that shaped the Act. According to her, “…The Clinton-Gore campaign strategically positioned itself as forward looking on technology issues, making friends in the computer community and handsomely collecting campaign contributions from computing and telecommunications companies in the process”. And on assumption of office, after winning the presidential elections in 1992, Clinton and Gore appointed as FCC chairman, their friend, Reed Hundt, with an implied term of reference of handling the regulatory details of the Act when enacted. Hundt reveals his links with the duo thus: “I had been Al Gore’s friend since high school and an adviser to him in his 1990 presidential campaign…I had known Bill Clinton since we were in law school together (Hundt, 2000: ix).

Explaining the part he would play as FCC chairman in the shaping of the Act, he adds: “My duty, as I saw it, would be to fulfil Al’s vision for the information highway. …We would cause new technologies to spread across the country. …The Democratic Congress would rewrite the 1934 Communications Act to replace monopoly with competition, in accordance with Al Gore’s wishes. …From the White House, Vice President Gore would negotiate the new law with Congress, and at the FCC I would handle the fascinating details of issuing the regulations that put any necessary law into specific meaning and effect” (Hundt 2000: 7).

So from the perspective of this theory, we can be infer that communication policies can actually originate from any meeting of friends and associates at any location. Positions are also ‘allocated’ at such meetings to ‘dependable’ persons that would help frustrate opposition. The theory also helps us understand how policies cloaked in the garb of ‘public interest’ may actually be aimed at furthering a group’s ambition or at protecting shared industry and political interests.

We will again use the 1996 Telecommunication Act as an example. Hundt (2000: 4-5) illuminates this for us: “The day after the November 1992 election, Al Gore’s closest advisers sat in attendance on the Vice President-elect on his modest suite at the Colonial Hotel in Little Rock. … Al proceeded down a list of things to do, assigning everyone some task. …I had long wanted the opportunity of public service. …If the Vice- President wanted to cause change in this part of the economy, he needed someone dependable at the FCC”. Hundt goes further to let us into the meetings where the specifics of the Act were drafted: “A dozen of us met at least once in two weeks in Al’s west wing office. …In order to promote economic growth, the group wanted to stimulate investment in new communication technologies. … To these ends, Al and his team crafted a policy that reversed the century-old ordering of the information sector into separate monopolies, each tightly regulated by FCC and the local governments… (Hundt, 2000:8-9).

Again, Hundt provides us with another apt illustration of elite power networks’ relevance in the analysing US communications policy: “The night I was sworn in, Betsy and I went to the White House…to a jazz concert hosted by Ameritech, the Midwestern Bell telephone company. …Ameritech’s fate depended on how the administration chose to rewrite the nation’s communication laws. The company’s corporate officers sat with the President. I was in the back of the room with Quello. … But from the quaint, edenic politics of friendship, I had won the job I wanted” (Hundt, 2000: 17). And Ameritech, too, benefited from its closeness with government. According to Aufderheide (1999: 59), when the Congress finally passed the bill, it addressed specific concerns “from a variety of perspectives. Ameritech, which already had a burglar alarm business, was exempted from the clauses restricting Bells from entry into the service, which hooks up to phone lines”.

From the foregoing, therefore, it will be safe to say that the real power in the making of communications policy in the USA lies in the hands of the dominant class in the society and large corporations since they have the wherewithal with which they can bankroll election campaigns, influence political appointments and lobby regulators as well as legislators. Aufderheide (1999:41-43), description of the unprecedented lobbying in the Congress before the enactment of 1996 Telecommunication Act captures this point better:

"As the House bill was put to vote in July 1995, Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) called the process ‘living proof of what unlimited money can do to buy influence and the Congress of the United States’.… Those with more money probably got more of what they wanted.… By contrast, consumer, religious, minority, disabled, and other constituencies profoundly affected by communication decision making were hardly represented with PAC money, and many advocates on behalf of civil rights, the poor, children, and other vulnerable constituencies found it difficult even to raise telecommunications as a significant social rights and justice issue in the press, legislators’ offices, or at foundations. … In short lobbyists for communications and mass media interests profoundly influenced and often drafted, legislation…"

It, therefore, goes without saying that large corporations and the dominant class have benefited from US communications policies. Of course, they cannot spend money to influence policies without benefiting.
Story for amadioha,orunmila & Co. GMB we know 2015

3 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Sibabasibaba1: 3:27pm On Dec 22, 2014
PervRocker:
Story for amadioha,orunmila & Co. GMB we know 2015

---------------

If you like vote for Tafawa Belewa, that's your business. What is posted there is to feed your intellect-if you have any. If you think that any politician, including your Lord and master, GMB, cares about you, then you must be living in Pluto.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 22, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

That something is normal or done everywhere doesn't make it right. Slavery was normal, that didn't make it right. Stop with this mentality.

3 Likes

Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by atlwireles: 3:42pm On Dec 22, 2014
Poverty is truly a bad thing. The sociological and physiological damage it leaves in a people are way more harmful, than their physical appearances. Because Ayeni bought Nitel, he should not contribute to the political campaign of his choice? Money is the life blood of politics, as our system matures, more billions will be spent by politicians and their supporters to win elections. That's the way it works around the planet. What we should ask of them, is a public disclosure of the people donating. No secret accounts or payments from unknown parties. PDP and GEJ did the right thing, by having a public fundraiser, where you and I can point to who gave what.

Rich people will always be at the front of the table, that's life. Don't cry about it, just try your best and become one of them.

GEJ till 2019.
Re: Tunde Ayeni Who Donated 2b Naira To Jona's Reelection Recently Bought NITEL by Sibabasibaba1: 3:59pm On Dec 22, 2014
netizenbuzz:

That something is normal or done everywhere doesn't make it right. Slavery was normal, that didn't make it right. Stop with this mentality.

-----------------

I don't know what your argument is and the mentality you are talking about. People must donate to campaigns. It is unusual for people to fund their campaigns alone. There is nothing wrong with funding campaigns as long as no law is contravened. It is also normal for people who fund campaigns with a view to benefiting in the long run through concessions and contracts. The rich elite the world. There is nothing you can do about it. This happens every country. It is all about interests--commercial and otherwise. Stop all these hypocrisy. Has it become wrong because GEJ is involved? Your concern should be if any law is broken and if due process is followed by the time they will be 'recouping' their 'investments'.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Second Term Agenda: Would U Vote 4 Buhari Again??? / 7 Most Corrupt and Influencial Nigerians President Buhari Cannot Touch / Femi Falana To Chief Olusegun Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.