Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,138 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers (8039 Views)

Some Tough Interview Questions And Their Answers / 5 Tough Interview Questions You May Likely Fail- Part 2 / Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by benuejosh: 10:17am On Dec 24, 2014
very thoughtfull.
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by CHM11: 11:36am On Dec 24, 2014
akinsadeez:
I am not yet fully satisfied with the tell me about yourself question. Can you be more explicit about the right Answer. there are so many different answers online to that question and it is one question that you simply can't avoid in every interview.
That question simply means 'let me know who you are by selling yourself to me'...I would suggest you start with your name, then when and where you were born, where you schooled and what you studied stating what you gained from what you studied. Then you can talk about where you've worked, what skills you developed where you've worked that will be useful in the job you are interviewing for. Try to keep it brief and basically warm up to the interviewer. Keep things that are really personal away...My view though

A structure can be like;
-Tell about yourself, your name, where and when you were born
-indirectly state your greatest strength and relate it to why your studied what you studied where you schooled. Clearly say the skills you acquired that are useful in the job.
- then talk about where you have worked and what you learnt while working.

In summary-Introduce yourself and sell yourself, (SEL-situation, experience, learning)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by freshdude: 12:02pm On Dec 24, 2014
SenatorJames:
The best way to answer this question is to give weakness that will not affect the work. For example don't tell an interviewer you talk too much, when you are applying for a position that demand you to be serious and concentrate on the work. But you can state that as your weakness if you are applying for marketer, broadcaster, client relation, customer care e.t.c., the interviewer may even see it as an advantage for you. Don't say you easily get angry, when the company want to employ you for a position where you relate with their numerous clients everyday.

Note: No matter how a weakness looks like, it is still a negative to your personality, please don't give more than "ONE" even if you have many. WISDOM!!!
I was at an interview and I gave one weakness. Mehn the interviewer wasn't satisfied. She was pressurizing me to say more. I quote. "So Mr freshdude, your trying to tell me your perfect. So that's the only weakness u have. Like your a very perfect person." Then she started taking notes on her sheet. That was were I lost control.!! Up till now, I am still waiting to hear from them.
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by CHM11: 12:11pm On Dec 24, 2014
Whenever I go for an interview and I see a foreigner or a foreign trained Nigerian Interviewer I feel more comfortable because they behave more professional at interviews. Most interviewers here in Nigeria allow sentiments cloud their judgment to the extent that you have been judged even before you utter your first word.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by akinsadeez(m): 12:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
CHM11:

That question simply means 'let me know who you are by selling yourself to me'...I would suggest you start with your name, then when and where you were born, where you schooled and what you studied stating what you gained from what you studied. Then you can talk about where you've worked, what skills you developed where you've worked that will be useful in the job you are interviewing for. Try to keep it brief and basically warm up to the interviewer. Keep things that are really personal away...My view though

A structure can be like;
-Tell about yourself, your name, where and when you were born
-indirectly state your greatest strength and relate it to why your studied what you studied where you schooled. Clearly say the skills you acquired that are useful in the job.
- then talk about where you have worked and what you learnt while working.

In summary-Introduce yourself and sell yourself, (SEL-situation, experience, learning)

Wow. thanks for the wonderful response. But is it advisable to tell stories while answering this question because looking at this structure, it might be difficult to answer without telling one story or another. How can one answer as stated above and still keep it brief .
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by CHM11: 12:37pm On Dec 24, 2014
akinsadeez:

Wow. thanks for the wonderful response. But is it advisable to tell stories while answering this question because looking at this structure, it might be difficult to answer without telling one story or another. How can one answer as stated above and still keep it brief .
Nope you can keep it brief, within 2-3 mins is enough.

You can say -
My name is General Muhamadu Buhari, born on june 2 1976 in Lagos. Naturally I am a very technical person which is why I studied Chemical engineering at the University of Benin where I made a second class upper. Studying Chemical engineering in Uniben helped me develop values such as teamwork, excellence, integrity, empathy and continuous improvement.
I have worked with some very good companies which helped me build very useful competencies. I currently work with bla bla bla as bla bla bla where I am responsible for bla bla bla.
You can then summaries by stating that your values align with those of the companies and competencies you have gained from past experiences are what is needed in this job and you bring more than just what is needed.

Most important thing is to read the interviewer and see if its someone who wants you to talk much or just brief......you will know from the body language. ..this question defines how the interview will go. If you play yourself down you will be played down throughout the interview. Sell your worth and sell more
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by Lero15(m): 4:01pm On Dec 24, 2014
pinky21:
Tanks,ve learnt a lot. I jst finished service n searching for a job and d truth is I ve NEVER been to an interview b4,so am kind of scared. All my life ve always had tins going for me witout stress. I still ve dat mindset that I will get a job witout stress by Gods grace.

Welcome to the favour market...

Stay glued to the Jobs/Vacancies section, and u may join the section's chat room. You wld be glad u did.

Regards.
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by lambvard: 11:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by jokapat(m): 9:54pm On Dec 25, 2014
Thanks, nice one from you, keep it up
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by Chigorkizz(m): 4:28pm On Jan 30, 2015
gud
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by calexix(f): 10:10pm On Jan 30, 2015
Bookmarked in my heart grin thanks for the tip
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by jerome263: 11:34pm On Jan 30, 2015
thanks op
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by Obiwannn: 7:14am On Feb 11, 2015
CHM11:

Nope you can keep it brief, within 2-3 mins is enough.

You can say -
My name is General Muhamadu Buhari, born on june 2 1976 in Lagos. Naturally I am a very technical person which is why I studied Chemical engineering at the University of Benin where I made a second class upper. Studying Chemical engineering in Uniben helped me develop values such as teamwork, excellence, integrity, empathy and continuous improvement.
I have worked with some very good companies which helped me build very useful competencies. I currently work with bla bla bla as bla bla bla where I am responsible for bla bla bla.
You can then summaries by stating that your values align with those of the companies and competencies you have gained from past experiences are what is needed in this job and you bring more than just what is needed.

Most important thing is to read the interviewer and see if its someone who wants you to talk much or just brief......you will know from the body language. ..this question defines how the interview will go. If you play yourself down you will be played down throughout the interview. Sell your worth and sell more

excellent.
finished from Uniben?
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by CHM11: 10:57am On Feb 11, 2015
Obiwannn:

excellent.
finished from Uniben?
Yeah
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by Obiwannn: 4:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
CHM11:

Yeah
Chem eng?
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by CHM11: 4:51pm On Feb 11, 2015
Obiwannn:

Chem eng?
No, sciences.
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by lyndchi(f): 8:07am On Apr 27, 2016
Grt post....tanx
Re: Ten Tough Interview Questions And Ten Great Answers by Lero15(m): 6:08pm On Apr 27, 2016
Lalasticlala

(1) (2) (Reply)

Smacin Global A New Supplement Company in Nigeria / Scam Alert: OrangeĀ  Recruitment Agency / Esther Breakthrough Recruitment Scam Or Fact

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.