Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,154 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes (18260 Views)

Speculators Get Burnt As Naira Gains Value / Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by duni04(m): 10:38pm On Dec 24, 2014
This Forbes way of calculating wealth is so misleading. He didn't lose 7.8 billion dollars! The share price of his company simply went down. In calculating your wealth, forbes multiplies the share price of a company you have a stake in by your holding in the compoany.

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by knightsTempler: 10:45pm On Dec 24, 2014
molotov1:
Even Dangote has been impoverished by our able and amiable Jonathan and we still have poeple here who think they will become billionaires under GEJ, shouting Jona till 2019.

Ok oooooo...!

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 24, 2014
This should tell you that in a level playing field , Dangote would be a lightweight.

He is not a very smart investor but the monopoly and rent seeking he enjoys in the country makes him look like a tycoon.

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 24, 2014
duni04:
This Forbes way of calculating wealth is so misleading. He didn't lose 7.8 billion dollars! The share price of his company simply went down. In calculating your wealth, forbes multiplies the share price of a company you have a stake in by your holding in the compoany.

so how is that misleading?

if his company's value went down because and is net worth of based on how much is company is worth, who lost 7.8 billion then? you?

2 Likes

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 24, 2014
slightlyMad:
For those asking why Dangote did not show up at the PDP fund raising, there you have it

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2014/12/23/africas-richest-man-aliko-dangote-loses-7-8-billion-as-naira-stocks-plunge/

Dangote hasn't paid enough for his crimes
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 24, 2014
duni04:

Same thing , just nuances

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by nduchucks: 11:15pm On Dec 24, 2014
Dangote is a big boy and can absorb the hit.

Those of you who have under N50million in the Nigerian stock market and haven't yet cashed out and safeguarded your money in other instruments, are in for very big losses in the next few months.

I sold all of my shares in Nigerian stocks few months ago, I ain't returning for a while. cool

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by ogele: 11:20pm On Dec 24, 2014
b1327:
If does pple are losing dat kind of money wat we average nigerians be losing and some blind pigs we come here to say pejorgej is working. Dats 1 of d reason a puss y shouldn't b allow to lead in anyplace
Is not Nigerian problem, is a Global Economic Issue... As I speak Japan is almost collapsing economically... If u no get DSTV or GOtv where u can watch FOX news, Press Tv, CNN news and Aljazeera.. Then give me ur number so that whenever is news time I can call you to rush to your neigbhour's house to watch the news... Here we normally have light... Abeg if una no dey get light for your area, abeg no bother to send ur number ok, I know wan buy generator for person out of pity.. My problem is that I pity people a lot..

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by lohresloco: 11:31pm On Dec 24, 2014
BrokenTV:

Is Jonathan the cause of the fall in oil price that is affecting the economy of the global world. Is he the one crumbling the economy of Russia, Venezuela and other oil depedendent nations.
Am so sorry for dangote loss, thats why they say big man big problem.
leave all these secondary school idiots running around nairaland.com. It's a shame kids are allowed here. Dumb dudes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by toprealman: 11:31pm On Dec 24, 2014
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by lohresloco: 11:34pm On Dec 24, 2014
buJu234:
recession and devaluation happens around the world to any economy.. so its not whether u have Buhari or GEJ or me as president.

all Nigeria needs is to wake up the manufacturing and exporting culture of agric-products & crude oil refined products like petrol etc..

then our economy will b strong ok.

them Sabi anything. These undercooked Nigerians who come here screaming SAI Buhari with no sense at all..... They will end up destroying the man's chances with their dull brains

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 24, 2014
Aigipan:
This should tell you that in a level playing field , Dangote would be a lightweight.

He is not a very smart investor but the monopoly and rent seeking he enjoys in the country makes him look like a tycoon.

My thought exactly.. ..He has totally monopolized d Nigerian economy with his contacts...

2 Likes

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 24, 2014
ogele:
Is not Nigerian problem, is a Global Economic Issue... As I speak Japan is almost collapsing economically... If u no get DSTV or GOtv where u can watch FOX news, Press Tv, CNN news and Aljazeera.. Then give me ur number so that whenever is news time I can call you to rush to your neigbhour's house to watch the news... Here we normally have light... Abeg if una no dey get light for your area, abeg no bother to send ur number ok, I know wan buy generator for person out of pity.. My problem is that I pity people a lot..
mate u forgot to add russia, u c I do watch all those stations u mention. about my comment u quoted its base on only nigeria, not the globe cus in the topic I neva see anywhere it says the globe(its says aliko dangote a nigerian,naira which is spent in nigeria)so sorry amigo next time u want to quote som1 again undastand d topic and there comment b4 u do so.

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by lohresloco: 11:43pm On Dec 24, 2014
valuedammy:

So d chairman LG and my Landlord are responsible for d dollar devaluation,
as in , why are you so dull. Chai..... I feel so sorry for you, you probably one of those affected by the steady degradation of our education system by the old Northern rulers and obasanjo. Try and get involved in self-education. Your brain is leaking all over this forum please.

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Tymax(m): 11:50pm On Dec 24, 2014
Chai! That's too much! I feel bad for him. $7 billion is too much to lose so fast!

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 25, 2014
That's over N1 trillion lost shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 25, 2014
all4naija:
Dangote is not a very smart investor. Instead of investing huge amount of his wealth into USA or UK economy he keeps pouring everything into Africa with too many economists without brain! Smh...! Next he will sell the remaining part to Arab brothers! Jeez!
You hate Nigeria/Africa/blacks so much, yet everyday you find your wretched, dirty, stinking self here, instead of some white forum. Are you a mental patient? You should be. Foreign based plate washer feeling funky.
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 2:47am On Dec 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You hate Nigeria/Africa/blacks so much, yet everyday you find your wretched, dirty, stinking self here, instead of some white forum. Are you a mental patient? You should be. Foreign based plate washer feeling funky.
You are one sad i d i o t! Sometimes I think you are the most primitive person I have ever come across in a forum. Now go and f**k your backward sadist face. PRICK!
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by ogbonoeba: 3:11am On Dec 25, 2014
cold:
Wow! So many ignoramuses on here. Is GEJ the cause of the slump in oil prices? I'm not one to pander to these political shenanigans. But i can't stand idiocy either

He isnt the cause, but he shows a bad example when he decides to buy one more private jet at a time when everyone is forecasting lower oil price. Cmon how clueless can he possibly be?

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by 100Cents: 6:19am On Dec 25, 2014
Aigipan:

What happens to someone who leaves all his eggs in one basket ? When he was worth $25bn, only Dangote cement accounted for $22.5bn out of $25bn. That is a very unhealthy percentage for a multi-product conglomerate.

The Nigerian stock market and the naira by default the economy are very shallow. My first business mistake was investing my savings in the 2008 stock market. Smh

Some people were making calls last night asking for other peoples account numbers. They didn't want the naira to devalue inside their accounts. Hehe
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by ideylaff: 7:09am On Dec 25, 2014
100Cents:

Not only this.

GEJ govt unlike OBJ is favourable to his number one competitor.

See, if food no belle full man pikin, Wetin him comot from teeth using tooth pick no go belle full am.

Ibeto and Dangote cement were the pioneer private individual investors in cement business in Nigeria. All of a sudden, the govt of the day favoured one person above the other to the point of crippling one. Yours trully will want a govt that will tilt a favor on him again though it may never happen.

At least, when we do things, let's try and fear God. That's what I always tell people.

When your wealth gets to a certain level, you become AGIP known as Any Government In Power.

Dont for once be fooled Dangote is not bn favored by GEJ Government oooo

The President is solidly behind him all the way, in fact he will have invested funds within his portfolio bn held for Presido and the rest.

He sure will be giving PDP some money in camera....but hes been sensitive to shareholders more than before and so will not announce it due to corporate governance within the Dangote Group that he now wants to follow and adhere to..

Dangote never fights anyone in power, they both need each other...
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by cold(m): 7:24am On Dec 25, 2014
ogbonoeba:

He isnt the cause, but he shows a bad example when he decides to buy one more private jet at a time when everyone is forecasting lower oil price. Cmon how clueless can he possibly be?
Hmmm..'Dangote loses 7.8 billion dollars as stocks plunge'...'GEJ requests for another private jet'...where is the nexus? Because i don't see it. Oh i get it now, GEJ should give Dangote the money meant for the presidential jet. At least to recoup some of his losses. Yeah seems legit. You're right,how clueless can one get..sigh
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by PassingShot(m): 7:25am On Dec 25, 2014
buJu234:
recession and devaluation happens around the world to any economy.. so its not whether u have Buhari or GEJ or me as president.

all Nigeria needs is to wake up the manufacturing and exporting culture of agric-products & crude oil refined products like petrol etc..

then our economy will b strong ok.

Had we saved enough to cushion the effect of a dip in oil price we would not have to devalue the Naira. That's common sense economics which is obtainable in sane countries.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by PassingShot(m): 7:29am On Dec 25, 2014
ogbonoeba:

GEJ is responsible for devaluing the Naira simply by not maintaining a healthy reserves to cushion the effect from the oil price dip. A sensible government maintains reserves from excess money realized from high oil price to be used during a dip like this.

GEJ and his cabinet are wasteful and clueless including NOI.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 25, 2014
What if dangote cement had not been listed on the stock exchange? Would the company value still have been this much affected by the naira slump?
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Nobody: 9:22am On Dec 25, 2014
braine:
No wonder he didn't partake in the frivolous fund raising. No time to waste hard earned money on a clueless man who can not manage and diversify the economy after knowing this day would come. Nonsense.
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by AMADU77: 12:19pm On Dec 25, 2014
keyzid:
Holy crap shocked $7Billion = N1,282,000,000,000.00K

is it 1 zillion or Yillion <?

please write the amount in words !!

im allergic to numbers wt big zerosss
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by Sarhamsyn(m): 1:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
Chai! yet he's still rich embarassed
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by bigdave1: 1:49pm On Dec 25, 2014
I feel nothing for these guys because how much of those wealth are used to better the lives of Nigerians or given to charity. There are many Nigerians in hospitals who need common 100,000 to survive. Just amazing wealth without a focus to make life better for others.
Re: Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes by jpphilips(m): 2:10pm On Dec 25, 2014
Dangote
ogele:

And after watching FOX news, you did not hear that countries like Norway shored up reserves to mitigate the effect of the price drop?

You equally did not learn that Jonathan stole your reserves the reason you have nothing to support the naira with, continue fooling around.

All of us lost money Dangote only lost more than us.

That 200naira you have in your bank account used to be $1.3 today, it just $1 in the black market.
I still dont understand why people like you choose to absolve Jonathan the clueless one of any culpability.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Union Bank Uyo Shut Down By NLC Youth Wing Due To Strike / International Funds Transfer: Flutterwave Teams Up With PayPal / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.