Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,991 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Nigerian Woman Seeking Donations In US After Being Abandoned By Bayelsa State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Woman Seeking Donations In US After Being Abandoned By Bayelsa State (527 Views)

DHQ: Military Captures Arms Caches Abandoned By Fleeing Boko Haram / Patience Jonathan Appointed Perm. Sec By Bayelsa Governor / Gov. Timipre Sylva Served Impeachment Notice By Bayelsa State Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Woman Seeking Donations In US After Being Abandoned By Bayelsa State by finessela: 9:19am On Dec 24, 2014
copied from [url]woman.ng[/url]

A Nigerian woman studying in the US on a scholarship from Bayelsa State Government is presently seeking donations on gofundme.com to pay her tuition. This is because the Bayelsa State Government has not paid her tuition for two semesters and she will not be able to graduate in May 2015 if the money is not paid.

Here is her story as shared on her gofundme page

I am a foreign exchange graduate student from Nigeria. I came to the United States on an academic scholarship from the Bayelsa state government of Nigeria, to whom I remain eternally grateful for providing me with such a significant privilege. Ever since I was a child, I always had dreams of schooling in America. I came into this country with high hopes of graduating with a good education.

[url]woman.ng[/url]

The Bayelsa state government has however omitted to fulfill its obligation to my university and this poses a threat to my scheduled graduation in May 2015. Currently, the Bayelsa State government owes my university over $11,500 in tuition fees for two semesters and also owes me unpaid stipend fees for 17 months at $1,000 per month, amounting to $17,000.

My attempts to collect these funds have been futile. I have called the government on several occasions, I have also sent letters and emails but the feedback I get from the government is that the government is broke or money has not been released. On the occasions when money was released, the story I was told was “we are processing your payment.” Yet the money never came but disappeared into thin air.

After more telephone calls, the government reversed the dynamics of its story to “we are broke or funds have not been released” So the question I asked and never received any response was what happened to the funds that were released? After waiting for several months, which turned into weeks and now 17 months, I am left with no other option than to depend on the generosity of kindhearted people.

As earlier indicated, I am incredibly grateful the Bayelsa state government. I just really wish they could honor their commitment to my education. If I could afford to pay these expenses, I would not have opted to get a scholarship. Since the Nigerian government has omitted to fulfill its financial obligation to my university, my university has transferred the financial responsibility to me because; according to my university “The Nigerian government has not been a responsible third party.”

I am very determined and undaunted in my pursuit. I have worked so hard in life to get to this point; I have come too far to let the $11,500 owed to my school, stand as an impediment to my graduation in May. Your generosity would help me complete my graduate program. Interestingly, $11,500 may not mean much for some, but it means the world to me especially at this point in my life.

With an American education, I can proudly go back to my country a victor. The potentials are limitless; I can contribute positively to the growth of my country. Most significantly, you will be a part of that growth. I will tell my countrymen about your kindness and generosity. I have learnt a lot, within the short period of time, that I have been here: the sense of community and the true patriotism of Americans to their country.

I have seen such deep loyalty that for the sake of one American, stranded in danger abroad, the American government would send an entire troop to protect their citizen. This is something that I find very fascinating. All these and more are stories that I have to tell when I return home. Indeed a land of opportunities, a land filled with selfless men and women willing to protect their interest. It is as I always imagined since I was a child. I will treasure your help and savor the good memories that I have since gained from the Americans.

I pray that this campaign creates the much-needed awareness that would bring about a positive change in the way the government treats it scholarship awardees; And that above all things the dignity and well being of each student under the scheme would be upheld.

I realize that it is kind of late to be starting this fundraiser campaign, but while the goal is to raise these funds before January 6th, I don’t think that it would a problem if we reach our goal a little later. I will leave the page active until we are able to accumulate enough funds to reach our goal. I know that this gesture from us all would be highly appreciated.

Please don’t feel pressured to donate if you don’t feel that you can. Just know that anything is appreciated, and that any donation can be public or private, depending on your preference.
Re: Nigerian Woman Seeking Donations In US After Being Abandoned By Bayelsa State by donmalcolm21(m): 9:24am On Dec 24, 2014
Another bizarre story from APC camp to tarnish the image of the country.
Re: Nigerian Woman Seeking Donations In US After Being Abandoned By Bayelsa State by GboyegaD(m): 9:34am On Dec 24, 2014
Sometimes our government makes promised they cannot fulfill. I wish her the best.

(1) (Reply)

FG Replies Osinbajo With Bible Passages / Nigerian Billionaire Folorunsho Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman / Bauchi State Traditional Ruler Bala Gambo Amosun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.