Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,003 members, 7,821,516 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge (11967 Views)

Write Your Shortest Flash Fiction. Not More Than 25 Words. / The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin / About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:00pm On Dec 24, 2014
Like many Literature-landers, I have observed with increasing dismay the dearth of creative writing in what used to be a highly entertaining section. A lot of our brilliant storytellers have bowed out of stage, and the curtains have risen upon a new cast of writers who are yet to display an equivalent mastery of their craft.
I believe though, that there is still skill hidden somewhere within the oysters of this section and it is my Challenge to unearth it.
It is time to be once again enchanted by creative storytelling that shines with the economy of 400 words.

The purpose of this competition is to:
- woo skilled talent back to nairaland
- improve and reward existing talent
- entertain and be entertained

6 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:30pm On Dec 24, 2014
GENERAL GUIDELINES

1 This competition is ONLY open to Nairalanders. If you are not a nairalander, you will have to register to participate.

2 Only one submission per entry. Each submission must be a prose written in any theme of your choice, (comedy, romance, tragedy etc).

3 Entries must be original; not previously published on any online or print media. Entries will be vetted for plagiarism and disqualified if guilty.

4 Entries MUST NOT EXCEED 400 WORDS.

5 Submissions are to be written in EITHER clear, grammatical english OR clear, pidgin english.

6 All entries are to be titled.

PROMPTS:
This edition is woven around the New Year - the promise and excitement it holds. Also, stories must depict the African culture - beliefs, festivals, systems etc - both in narrative and plotting.

PRIZES:
First prize winner gets a sum of 10000 naira only.
Second prize winner gets a sum of 5000 naira only.

JUDGING:
Moderations will be handled by a panel of selected writers from the Nairaland community in three stages.

1st stage: Plagiarism, and adherence to rules check, i.e all guidelines governing the competition. A longlist of entries that meet this criteria will make it to the Second stage.

2nd stage: Narrative, syntax/lexis and grammatical/punctuational checks. Description, plot/storyline checks. A shortlist of entries will emerge from this stage.

3rd stage: Determination of final winners.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:38pm On Dec 24, 2014
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES

Entries open on the 28th of December, 2014 and close on the 10th of January, 2015.
After the deadline, this thread shall be locked.

Moderations will begin on the 11th of January and run till the 24th of January, 2015.
Longlist of entries will be announced on the 15th of Jan.
Shortlist of entries will be announced on the 21st of Jan.

DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS THREAD.
Only entries are to be submitted on this thread.
If you break the rule, your comment will be hidden and you will be banned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 9:28pm On Dec 24, 2014
ABOUT THE JUDGES

The First stage of the competition shall be moderated by Larrysun and Repogirl.
A brilliant writer, anyone who is privileged to know Larry will agree with me that he is a stickler to the rules. Dedicated, consistent and deliberate, Im pleased with my choice of him.
Ive had the opportunity of writing with her, I have always been particularly impressed by Repo's attention to detail.
Who best to bravely meet the expected horde of entries and ensure compliance to the rules than this duo?
I rely on them to uphold the standards and set the bar for other moderations.

The Second stage of the competition shall be moderated by Royver and Yuzedo.
One of my personal favourites, Roy is an enchanting storyteller; a celebrated darling of many readers here, Im sure. A recipient of several prizes himself, he possesses the lexical soundness and literary exposure that this stage demands.
As I told Yuzedo, when he's not busy being the infamous Chief Sweetus of Banana Iceland, any astute observer can tell the superiority of his intellect and wit. I have followed him the entire time of my stay on nairaland and I am confident that no grammatical error will escape his sensitive palate. Also he has a knack for captivating language and the quirkiness to appreciate the varied imagery I expect to see. Lol.

For the final stage, I hand the reins over to someone Ive tremendously admired and, err, unabashedly stalked. Easily likable, very willing, she brings the much needed grace and ahem, traffic to this thread. Lol. Caracta.
Though she stands gloriously and majestically alone- like Mt Everest, hehe - I hope to woo another literature section giant, EfemenaXY to her side. Let's keep fingers crossed...
Im yet to receive a feedback from EfemenaXY, meanwhile working closely with me will be a very gifted Scribe, Short-story Smith, my paddy-of-life, cute as buttons+fly as cool(he'll kill me for this. Lol), Sensei Senbonzakurakageyoshi!!

Fluid ink to your pens!!
Happy writing!
White mosquito.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 9:42pm On Dec 24, 2014
For comments, contributions, questions et al that are NOT entry submissions, please follow this link:
www.nairaland.com/2060445/whiteys-flash-fiction-challenge-comment

If you have already commented on this thread, please modify it. cc TheRealAdonye.

All Challenge mods, please take note...Just in case though..
Cc Larrysun
Repogirl
Royver
yuzedo
caracta
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by Ishilove: 9:56pm On Dec 26, 2014
For questions, observations,contributions and comments,go here: www.nairaland.com/2060445/whiteys-flash-fiction-challenge-comment
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 11:41pm On Dec 28, 2014
'Due to popular demand', submission guidelines have been modified viz:
Entries shall now be sent to white.mosquito@yahoo.com, and must carry title and monicker. Said monickers will be verified by me personally, so if you are not a nairalander, sorry, you still have to register.

Entries MUST be in Word format ONLY.

Deadlines still apply. After the expiration of the deadline, entries will NOT be honored.

Once the deadline is up, entries bar their monickers will then be posted on this thread and the thread locked.
This is simply to avoid stealing or 'borrowing' people's concepts, plots et al.
Happy writing,
White mosquito.

Cc Larrysun
Repogirl
Royver
yuzedo
caracta
senbonzakurakageyoshi

1 Like

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by swifayo: 10:33am On Dec 29, 2014
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 1:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
swifayo:
This story is dedicated to all real worriors especially nigerian soldiers out there against the boko haram insurgents

100 AD IN INSECT KINGDOM, WAR AND REVENGE
Early in the year 1888, three kingdoms: ant kingdom(kililut) cockroach kingdom(wikidot) and mosquito kingdom(stufield) lived together in peace and strength, things was going fine until the kililuts attacked having discovered their much strength and advantage over the other two kingdoms because of the zeal for power.
The situation was tough and tense for wikidot and stufield since seeing in the day time is a big problem for them, the kililut killed and made them work all the night for them on thier farm . it was like this until the wikidots remembered Akin.
Akin was a great worrior which the wikidot people joined alliance with the kililut and stufield to chase from thier kingdom because of the fear of his power and knowledge as a spider, this was what brought the three kingdoms close. Akin as a man of power and knowledge decided to leave without any war not for fear but for peace.
We will go to Akin and plead with him to come to our aid, said an elderly cockroach. Not to waste time they left at the start of darkness of the second day so they made it to him before dawn and explain why they came to him. Akin seeing thier troubles decided to help in the fight and with his wisdom, knowledge and power put together and a good deal of planning the kililut fled but all didnt end thier.
Akin we hail you, akin is our warrior, akin the great, when our leaders folded hands Akin is out in war for us, that was what was coming out of the mouth of wikidot and stufields people in praise of Akin. He was treated so well infact like a god. Little or non atall goes to the elders of the kingdom for problem solving but to akin because they see him more competent.
This angered the rulers and elders of the two kingdoms therefore plans to take him down started since they dont want to watch him take over thier kingdom, they taught. They plan day and night And finally agree on a plan to kill and burn him but one of the elders, elder nikiru taught it unfair to gods and man so he decided to help Akin.
Close to darkness of execution day, elder nikiru rushed to Akin in falling and standing as he couldnt see well since its not dark already. On getting there some citizen were at Akins place. Akin on hearing this was filled with fear but scared so he decided leave immediately but the citizens became furious on hearing and Decided to fight back.
The rulers and warriors moved with determination,war started many insects were killed.the kililut seeing their enemies dilemma decided to take advantange and the war grew strong and stronger. War and revenge never ends.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by swifayo: 8:33am On Jan 01, 2015
THE CROSS OVER DANCE
It's 29th of December and everone especially the youth of Ajokurin are all prepared for the most spectacular dance competition of thier lifes which qualifies a boy to be a man by being among the first 20 best dancers who will get married that same day . This is an annual practice in which all the villagers in Ajokurin gather at the kings palace on the last day of every year.
Akomi Ojuilu, a village youth that has being participating in the competition for 7 years but has always fell short cause he is a bad dancer, decided that the new year is his year of getting married, this made him to start practicing new dance steps even from the day one of this particular year.
Adeshewa is another village youth but a special one because he is the kings daughter which makes her a princess but has being unable to get married because she is a very bad dancer. This gave the king much concern that he paid huge sum of money for her to be trained the art of dancing but yet still she is always at the bottom of position table.
Oh! I less i forget, the new couples will be blessed by the king and elders of the land in prayers and materials, they will then be given house which has being built by past youth thet where unable to make it.
Finally, its 31 of December and by 10pm the kings palace has being filled to the brim. Without wasting time the event started with rites and sacrifices, then the main event started. The dance was so hot everywhere was filled druming and dancing and the judges smiling and with time everything was over after which the winners where called and Akomi emerge 19 position and got married to a pretty lady but unfortunately adeshewa came 21 position which means she will have to wait another year. The new couples where blessed and the first day was filled with celebration for new couples which signals a new beginning.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by theorbiters: 2:52pm On Jan 02, 2015
Waiting For The Morning

The sounds of laughter from children and women, the pleasantries among the young men and the hushed tones of the elderly, all alike, found a place in the atmosphere. The whole town was bustling with life and the once quiet village square had became a hub of activities.

It is the last day of the year, and it was only necessary for all to converge at the square. One corner, the children played, running and screaming with abandon. To another corner, the youth gathered, like colonies, some talked while some just looked. To another corner, the women gathered, cooking and at the same time talking, and to another corner, the old men sat and drank.

Looking around, oh, how this view could last for an eternity. But why were we here, I can not say, and why we were gathered, I must find.

As I cut through the crowd, encountering the greetings of friends and family alike, my heart saw its desire.

He sat alone on his bamboo chair, gently sipping his palm wine as he rocked his hips in a rhythmic manner to an unheard tone. His hairs were fully white and his face was like a squeezed cloth.

I sat beside him and searched his face for attention. Finally, he looked at me. So I started.

"Sir, to what reason do we owe this gathering?"

Nodding, he said,
"It is long believed that our ancestors discovered the secret of prosperity and peace. This secret helped them live peacefully, had good crops produce and live longer. This secret has been passed down from generations to generations and has now form a pillar on which this village is built on".

"But sir, what is this secret?"

"Unity my child, unity. It is believed, those who eat from the same pot are bounded by a bond that can not be broken. This is what makes you and I live freely.

Now I understand clearly, the women cooking and the men drinking and no matter what the new year bring, our bond, would overcome all.

The drums rolled and the young women rose to dance. The children jumped for joy, the youth moved while the elderly clapped. This night, we reaffirm our beliefs as we await the morning of the new year, but for now, I must join the dance too.

3 Likes

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by hormoryhemii(m): 4:34pm On Jan 02, 2015
[i][/i] Bala adeojo the third born and the only male offspring of the adeojo's family, has finally gained admission to the higher institution of learning of his choice irrespective of past failures.
Warned and advice to face his studies squarely by his ever conscious parent fell on deaf ears in bit the night he was matriculated as a student, it all started when he was invited to the freshman also known as frosh party later on the day of matriculation. Bala being a soft willed person was tossed and lured by the frivolities he was exposed to at the party(he was an omo mummy), also at the party were the red skull, the dreaded red skull cult group was known to garner members from party like the ongoing frosh party. In his folly and naivety he agreed to join the red skull all in the name of influences and affluence at its echelon. The initiation took place minutes later and he was pledge a member, in twinkle of an eye they were back at the party and not until the following morning did he leave for his room.
Waking up to check the time on his phone he saw he had missed some calls. Sade was a beautiful girl in school eyed by all and sundry even by lecturers, her contact with bala was so natural at the party that she dished out her number to him without further ado, And she didn't hesitate to call him the following morning which he missed. Don of the red skull was also interested in Sade unknown to bala, in one of his attempt to woo her he was rewarded with a slap, his anger went off limit and he sought revenge at all means, bala was assigned to kill Sade unknown to him that it was Sade his girlfriend. the choice is now to kill Sade or be killed, and if he should breath a word to his parent that will see to the end of school for him.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by hormoryhemii(m): 4:36pm On Jan 02, 2015
LOST IN THE OCEAN OF CHOICE
Bala adeojo the third born and the only male offspring of the adeojo's family, has finally gained admission to the higher institution of learning of his choice irrespective of past failures.
Warned and advice to face his studies squarely by his ever conscious parent fell on deaf ears in bit the night he was matriculated as a student, it all started when he was invited to the freshman also known as frosh party later on the day of matriculation. Bala being a soft willed person was tossed and lured by the frivolities he was exposed to at the party(he was an omo mummy), also at the party were the red skull, the dreaded red skull cult group was known to garner members from party like the ongoing frosh party. In his folly and naivety he agreed to join the red skull all in the name of influences and affluence at its echelon. The initiation took place minutes later and he was pledge a member, in twinkle of an eye they were back at the party and not until the following morning did he leave for his room.
Waking up to check the time on his phone he saw he had missed some calls. Sade was a beautiful girl in school eyed by all and sundry even by lecturers, her contact with bala was so natural at the party that she dished out her number to him without further ado, And she didn't hesitate to call him the following morning which he missed. Don of the red skull was also interested in Sade unknown to bala, in one of his attempt to woo her he was rewarded with a slap, his anger went off limit and he sought revenge at all means, bala was assigned to kill Sade unknown to him that it was Sade his girlfriend. the choice is now to kill Sade or be killed, and if he should breath a word to his parent that will see to the end of school for him.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by sampson0: 12:52am On Jan 04, 2015
OUR GINGIVITES
17 November 1970, I termed black day. I saw hell. Many lives were snuffed out in IKPEKERE. People gathered everywhere mourning the demise of their beloved ones. About ten-full fledged men has gone. Okeke my father; the bravest and a kind hearted man were among them.
Enquiries erupted; marquis began thorough investigation on what could be the major cause of death of ten men in just a day; for their death created an infallible gap in the town, gods were consulted, sacrifices were attuned.
By this time there are lots of preparations for the festival; but the most important one was the virgins to be used for sacrifice. “We want it big” says the chief priest and when we must gotten twelve virgins, the gods must be happy with us since they choose to show us the taste of their indignation. Hunt for virgins interposed amongst IKPEKERE neighborhoods’.
In the fortnight, twelve young girls were abducted by hefty men employed by the chief priest, and was kept in ichie Oku custody for up keep. Everybody the old and the young alike clamored to witness the virgins themselves; but a roaring voice thundered indiscriminately saying that “that was abomination which will snuff out more lives if Ikpekere would not withdraw from such an ilicit act.” The cries of a vengeful virgins must bring Ikpekere to naught, continued the voice. Eight years later, the town was turned into ghost town, for more than a decade, there is no cry of a new born baby in the town and the town became inhabitable for us. And we all flee to foreign lands for our rescue; until fifty years when the whole active players in the tradition had gone, by this time, Paul my brother and I had grown to full men and remained the only living human being from Ikpekere.
We summoned enough courage to make the town habitable for us and our children and wives. The journey was tough we consulted the government of our state who came and develop the abandoned land to furnish it and make it homely.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by chrisviral(m): 6:09am On Jan 04, 2015
Modified!

2 Likes

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 10:17pm On Jan 06, 2015
Chrisviral, modify that post within the next 24 hours, transfer your comment to the proper thread or get banned.
Nobody asked you to liven anything up.
cc Obinnau

1 Like

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:03pm On Jan 09, 2015
NEW YEAR'S EVE IN UMUOKA
Heads held aloft, peering curiously from bulged eyes. Children sat with their christmas wears, as sheer curiosity propelled the aged to swell the anthill of spectators that were already ringed under the huge udara tree rooted in the village square.
"A chick," he enunciated "in search of grain, wandered out of its cage."
Pa Ubaga paused, glared at the staring faces, heaved an infectious smile and the whispers that once filled the air ceased, as eyes were now fixed on him, with bated breath.
"In-lieu of grain, to busy its beak, a hawk had it plundered" he continued " Spontaneously, the hawk was intercepted by a watching eagle. Still aloft, the prey-birds vied for their prey, losing some of their feathers in the process. The fight was intensified when the chick escaped from their talons and dropped to the ground; torn, wounded and tired.
A ducky-duck took it, nurtured and cared for it."
Pa Ubaga swallowed, gave a quick glance at his wristwatch.
"Eleven-thirty-nine" he muttered inaudibly, then continued.
"Standing on its talons, the chick took cognizance of the wild plumages. Yes, patterned under the duck's incubating eggs were the wild-birds feathers.
'I'll need these feathers when I incubate.' The chick soliloquized. 'hmm...but if I demand them, this duck will bluntly decline.'
"The chick was on it as the duck trudged through the wicket gate... Alas, as it pulled the feathers from underneath the eggs; woe to the chick as three eggs cracked and spilled open."
"Though the wild birds lost their feathers because of you" the anguished duck spluttered "if I'd left you to die, I'd still have these feathers that brought this bane. Hmm... alright take the feathers, but I must my ducklings have or I'll see to your death".
"Ewoo!" Came a feminine voice from the crowd.
"Now, how can a chick, lay, incubate and hatch even a duckling?" He asked,
"Or can a piglet be in-foal, when its still suckling?... Ponder on this, and learn from the chick's follies"
checking his watch, he yelled;
"Its already a New Year!"
Just then, a joyful noise rent the air, as laughter ignited the night. And some had their heads bent in thought.
Its Chikere's first visit to Umuoka, her maternal home. "What a way to mark a new year?" She muttered.

1 Like

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by phate4rmercury: 5:51am On Jan 10, 2015
TALES OF SULE ( by: phate4rmercury)

The earth is brown and breathing again this morning. Each trail of our imprints as usual were gone with the unforgiving wind. I take a deep breath, I surely can't afford another today. This is the only way to know I am still alive.
I watch now as the turbid haze ride on skyward and vanish intNo nothing. A shivering tremor raced through my frail frame nearly crystallizing my lungs, and I felt like I was being torn apart into equal longitudinal halves.
I am not used to being without my potuture, an ankle length overall made from goatskin. Mom made it specially for me as a gift for my first trip which signified my coming of age as a normad.
Father gave me a bull which I named Koukou. Somehow, he went rogue and was always beaten and tied. One afternoon, I overheard Father and his friends talking about their next stop, westward. He'd decided to sell Koukou too. I woke at midnight to comfort Koukou as I always do but he wasn't there.
I realised I had to do something. When I returned in the morning, everyone was gone. They'd left me behind....
The first ray of the sun slashed my face, evoking burning rivulets from my eyes. I must have been standing there, gazing up for a really long time. The fog ahead had cleared and someone was pointing at me.
I woke up on a bed. My neck was stiff and numb. A swarthy man hovered above me, smiling.
"Welcome back..." He says.
A young girl hands me a steaming mug.
They said Koukou had died from his wounds. I wish I was there at that last defining moment.
I am lucky to be alive, the one who found me thinks so. He says the harsh cold wind is caused by harmattan.
He says they're from the west. They are different from us normads. They clapped and danced and sang every morning. This morning, they killed four hens. They say it is because of the New Year, strange. They speak my mother's language.
I try my best to not think of the past. The girl and I are now friends and she never stops calling me Sule. I don't know why, but I plan to adapt.

2 Likes

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by repogirl(f): 9:49am On Jan 13, 2015
LIST OF CONFIRMED ENTRIES

StealthIdeals
Divepen
anakadrian
Ashakemi
Ginikanwa Soludo
Akposb
theorbiters
Oke Princewill Omoyemi
simonhabby
REB3L
ROYALER
ADJAIN
therock5555
rawjunc1
lionize
olusharp
Olakunle Ologunro
ezicat
drachael
GODWINGODSON
mobsync
ruffhandu
martin92
OMA4U
Fabian09
diamondwriter
IGITee
mrfils
eillo
shugaryme
iamsegsy
awesomeb1783
spacefreak
zuby94
pureivory
chrisviral
funmo
silas1475
bhenehdikt
ksslib
adinije
sammoe

CC: WhiteMosquito
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by repogirl(f): 9:56am On Jan 13, 2015
THE CHECKLIST

He had been thinking of what would have happened if he had not sent the report before the midnight deadline. It was amazing how much he accomplished in seven and a half hours of frenetic activity – drafting, writing, re-writing, typing and clicking the send button. He had just checked off the last item on his work to-do list. Jerry stroke his bare chin at the realisation that the year’s work was officially over as he yelled, “I’m the boss!”. No one could have heard him. He was alone. He looked at his watch as he packed his bag. It was 10:57 pm. He had no business at the office till the New Year. With only five days to go, he was sure it had not been a bad year. He felt his right palm itch and he smiled. 2015 was going to be better.
Meanwhile he had to hurry home. His shirt sleeves were rolled up, tie loosened and stomach empty. He needed a few days outside Lagos. That could wait though. There was an important date tomorrow. He had to be on point. He could already see Jay sitting in front of him. He smiled. She was the last item on his 2014 checklist. New job. Check. New apartment. Check. Girlfriend. Almost checked. This girl was positively different, a breath of fresh air. He knew the attraction was mutual. With no other guy in the picture, he had to be quick about it. She had to know how much he loved her. Tomorrow was going to be great. With such blissful thoughts in his head, he narrowly missed hitting a strange figure.
Jerry shuddered as it turned. It was like a scene out of those nollywood movies. This feminine figure was covered in white from head to toe. She expertly balanced a calabash bedecked with cowry-like stuff and walked slowly as her lips moved in rhythm. He swerved into his street and slowed down as he approached his residence. He could not believe what he had just seen. He checked the rear view mirror.
With relief he shut the front door. His two hands were still shaking. As he emptied the contents of his pockets, he noticed an unread BBM message. Jerry unlocked his phone with a swipe. For the second time that evening, his right palm itched. This time he was not sure what it meant.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by repogirl(f): 10:00am On Jan 13, 2015
CALL ME
She was seated on bed when they walked in
“Hello girl” she greeted her roommate, Nancy
“Hi Ivy, you didn’t go for lectures today.” Replied Nancy as she
motioned her boyfriend to sit down on the only chair in their one room
apartment.
“Yes my dear. Today is my lecture free day.” Ivy quipped. “Who’s that
with you? Ivy asked as she stared as the young man lustfully.
“Oh! Forgive my manners.” Nancy exclaimed, “Frank please meet my
roommate and sister Ivy” she turned to Ivy; “Meet my boyfriend Frank
the one I told you about.”
“It is nice meeting you” she said as she offered him her hand.
Frank received her hand and replied, “The feeling is mutually my dear.”
Ivy was reluctant in disentangling her hand from Frank’s as she smiled
at him seductively. Nancy who was oblivion of the tension in the room
was busy bring out packet of juice and chin-chin from the table top
refrigerator beside her reading desk. She settled on the bed beside
Ivy as she fills the three glasses before her with orange juice. They
chat and laughed while doing justice to the chin-chin and juice. Ivy
ceased every opportunity she got to wink at Frank who tried as much as
possible to avoid her gaze. That made him uncomfortable that he
decided to leave earlier than he wanted to. Ivy and Nancy saw him off
to the juncture. Ivy stylishly slipped a piece of paper into Frank’s
palm when she was sure Nancy wasn’t watching, but someone was
watching. As soon as the ladies left, Frank tore the paper into four
pieces and discards it, and then boards a bike to his lodge. Once he
was out of sight, the guy was had been seated under the shade of a
mango tree watching, took a drag from cigarette tucked between his
fingers. He dropped and smashed it, walked to the juncture and picked
the pieces of paper and key in the phone number in his phone.
He waited till 7pm before dialing the number, “hello babe, I know u
have been expecting my call, meet me in front of governor’s hall”
“I will be there” she chuckles.
He ended the call before she could say any other thing. A mischievous
played on his lips, ‘only if she knew what had coming’.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by repogirl(f): 10:56am On Jan 13, 2015
Alright guys, this is as far as I can go for now. The rest of the entries will come later tonight, either whitemosquito or I will put them up. Sorry bout the delay.

Attention judges: Larrysun and senbonzakurakageyoshi

Work has begun!
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 7:48pm On Jan 14, 2015
Title: Chasing a Mirage by StealthIdeals

Sweat steamed profusely from beneath Omotara’s dermal layer as he effortlessly sought light relief from his ponderous unctuousness. As an Assistant Senior Prefect of his Oba Adeife Memorial College, Omotara commands little respect and accolades unlike Tinuomi, who was a cynosure of eyes in academic and debate activities among his contemporaries. Being the Senior Prefect, Tinuomi could easily reach into his ornate amoury and wield his power of oratory. Omotara was in search of an amour against such fate of low mental agility until the bitter end.
Omotara fell head over heel for Mosadomi Wemimo, a dainty teenager in possession of a gracefully slim figure; her head adorned with long natural hair that shine with metallic lustre, her mammalian dentition was almost homodont, and – to cap it all – her face looked ageless with marked expression of innocence. Omotara, on the hand, was an epitome of ugliness. He was lacking in physique, and with sun tanned skin. At first he was hesitant, but finally wooed Wemimo. She revealed to him that she was proud of him as the Assistant Senior Prefect of their school. He reasoned that for the damsel to love him as a result of his average mental capacity, the stunningly beautiful girl would worship him if he is as brilliant as Tinuomi – the most illustrious, ingenious ilk of Adeife fame.
As a staunch believer of superstition, Omotara sought help from three occult priests. They initiated him with incisions made with a sharp-edged axe of occult significance; and a bewitching soap to bath with at midnight in an open stream. He was promised unrivalled ability to dispense knowledge, and fame. He was not a glutinous lot that was hell bent on satisfying his taste bud; he was pushed by that masculine instinct: the ego of a hunter returning home with sizeable game animals for his wife, so that she can treat him to her culinary masterpiece. As he stepped into the designated stream by 1:00 ante meridian, Wemimo’s astral body surfaced from nowhere, gesturing to her lover to disembark from a mission that would claim her life if the bath was to be successful. Struck with bewilderment and fear, Omotara raced back home – mission unaccomplished. He was enchanted with insanity, because it was a taboo to stop what he started midway. He has forgotten so easily that crabs would blink before a man can get hold of a mirage.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 7:50pm On Jan 14, 2015
Title: Afulu by anakadrian

Rough, rugged and ungainly; the tuber of yam lay seperate from the rest of the ingredients Naomi's mother had collected together on the floor within the smoke-filled kitchen with the low doorway and the dusty stools.

"Today, we are all going to eat Afulu" Naomi's mother had said

"Arh... fur... What?" Naomi had asked, genuinelyinterested.

It was the end of the year. Naomi had returned to Nigeria on holiday; on break from where she schooled inFrance. Sent off there to live with her aunt since she was five, every occasion that Naomi got to come back home was a treat.

This was especially so during Christmas, where she would get to see the village whenever they would, as her mother put it, "...travel to the East..."

Her cousins, Naomi missed badly. Come the first week of the new year, they would show her around the happening places, making her participate fully in every Uta that held.

"Afulu" Mother had said

Naomi's anticipation waned when sometime later she saw the spread on the kitchen floor; her enthusiasm reduced with each unsuccessful attempt to get the stove to light.

"I can't get this to work" Naomi said finally "That aside mum, I thought you said we were going to eat... erm... Ahfurlur"

"Yes, I did"

"But all I see here are ingredients for that soup you showed me the other day with some bitter leaves"

"Yes, Onugbu soup"

"Exactly mum, that's no Ahfuhlur"

"Afulu" her mother corrected

"Ah foo loo" Naomi said. Her mother smiled

"Yes, my dear, it's the same. While we eat Afulu, the whole family will come together to celebrate the coming year. We thank the Lord for blessing us, and we'll enjoy the Onugbu with some of this delicious yam"

"Are we gonna have to pound it?" Naomi said, her voice betraying a hint of unwillingness.

"No my dear, we don't have to... And we don't mix it in any sauce like when we did Ede Aro; the one with the cocoyam leaves, remember? We'll simply boil the yam and slice it up"

Naomi's face brightened. That sounded good. She pictured, as they ate, her and her cousins playfully ribbing each other; she giving back as much as she got, they ruthlessly teasing her with "yeah?"s and "innit?"s, all this amid the silent pleasure of mother's faint chuckles and grandma's toothless smiles.

1 Like

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 7:59pm On Jan 14, 2015
divepen, somethings wrong with your file. It aint opening.
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:01pm On Jan 14, 2015
*modified*
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:04pm On Jan 14, 2015
Moniker: ashakemi

She was awed by the tender and yet emotional laden manner with which her ailing father tossed the divination pebbles, the sudden gust of strength that ushered out the pebbles from his frail and shaky palms, the abrupt halt the pebbles seemed to make only to be awaken from the slight halt as if possessed all delighted her. They were the epicentre of a falling religion termed "ifa" and yet they stood firm in its continuity.

Papa as she would fondly call him was all she had, she would clung to him like a limpet to a rock and in that adhesive moment they would share subtle emotional exchanges, he referred to her as Ashake, a complimentary tag that reminded him of her late mother. In a lingering outburst he would call out her personal panegyric to the delight of her twitch prone ears, he loved her and so did she.

He handed a splint of kolanut to her, they often shared kolanut moment and lengthy conversations, she was only sixteen with minuscule breast which was something short of an infant fist yet she interacted and exchanged ifa polemics with Papa in ways beyond the circle of her stunt and juvenile age.

What Asake lacked in voluminous bosoms was well compensated with bulky lips, ogre like appearance and a diminutive nose, she lacked a feminine direction coupled with no beguiling features. Being a hunch back imbued the thought that eledumare(God) moulded her while absent minded,her oddities were grossed up in a towering brain but still the aversive aura around her was the same.

Ashake had no social circle except her intense cordiality with Papa, her peers avoided her, she was an alien in a hostile niche, this scathed her inner essence and her gay ambience depleted into a gloomy one.

He choked on his own breath at the horrid sight of his dead daughter Ashake, apparently she wasn't a perfect fit for the world and had to leave it. She had doused her hunch in paraffin and lit it up. Papa slumped next to Ashake and journeyed with her.

1 Like

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:06pm On Jan 14, 2015
Tittle--My hope, my life by cykik
People
Ginikanwa Soludo
To
me
Dec 30, 2014
I dedicate this story to my best friend,her mum and her pastor. Though
short but it's my life story but not the ogbanje part o .just true
friendship and etc.
TITTLE : My hope, my life by cykik
MY HOPE, MY LIFE

It was 8pm already when I sat under the udara tree. I began
remembering those activities that made me happy.
As I watched the stars up in the sky, I remembered ujunwa my
best friend when I was an ogbanje. Everyone was scared of me. It was
believed that I had died and returned four times,no wonder I had
birthmarks. I could remember crying till my mum would come and console
me.
Ujunwa and I usually go to the ureke festival,watching children
dance the otongo dance,adult males performed wrestling matches & young
females the " on ye g'agba egwu dance as it was believed to attract
spouses to them.
I could also remember when the white men came to our village;
ozubulu village. Their aim was to convert us from idol worshippers to
Christians. My dad whom I called "Dede" was totally against it,
threatening anyone who chooses to be converted to a christian. Though
I can't remember how my dad got converted, I could remember how I
became delivered from the so called ogbanje spirit which had made me
bittered in the past. It was a thing of joy to me.
At night, I could change into different form without knowing
it. some how I felt my mum was even scared of me and I felt like
committing suicide a times.
As my dad told me that I was going to the church, I already
knew why. He and the catholic priest had discussed about my ogbanje
issue the previous day. That day was eke market day. As we approached
the church, the priest welcomed I & my dad. He asked me to kneel &
pray the sinners prayer & as I did, he sprinkled the holy water on my
body. Next I knew, I was on the ground. I couldn't
remember anything. The priest held me and told me it was okay that I
had been delivered of my ogbanje spirit. We thanked him and my dad
took me home.
"Adanne" my mum called to me bringing my lost thought to
earth. I noticed it was 10pm already. I went inside my room, played on
my bed and peeked at ujunwa who was snoring and I smiled. She's worth
the friendship.

3 Likes

Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:08pm On Jan 14, 2015
By akposb

Dennis paced up and down the tiled floor of " God's Mercy" laboratory. It was a location he felt uncomfortable in especially on the last day of the year.

He had lived in the city of Warri for ten years and made some success in his preparation for man-hood. He was twenty seven years old and his parents were eagerly waiting for him to bring his bride home. He had met Sandra who have been his lover for two years now. He had decided to formalise their union in the new year when she fell ill.
He feared pregnancy as she was suffering from severe headache, dizziness and weakness. He had decided they get the test done as soon as possible. He was wary of showing an already pregnant bride to his parents as he was not ready to confront their intense scrutiny and criticism. So many of his mates had gotten married in such manner but he knew it was not right. He was keen on defending their cultural values even if he had been sleeping with Sandra.
Sandra sat on a chair behind him with her head bowed, ostensibly lost in thought. She feared more for their image rather than the marriage as she was sure of it.
They were both lost in thoughts when the laboratory attendant came into sight. He was holding a white paper which Dennis felt was the result. He walked to him with Sandra trailing. The attendant took them to a corner of the reception.
" The pregnancy test result is negative but she is sick of malaria".
Dennis let out a gasp of delight while Sandra heaved a sigh of relief. It was indeed going to be a new year!
Re: The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge by whitemosquito(f): 8:11pm On Jan 14, 2015
*modified*

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Think I'm Losing My Husband (Poem) / A Date With FATE (A Comic Drama Series On Love And Destiny) / Chimamanda Adichie Hosted By Bloomberg School Of Public Health-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.