Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? (19588 Views)

Wow Job After A Big Disapointment. / How To Increase Your Chance Of Getting Desired Job After Graduation / Secret To Getting Job Interviews In Nigeria Especially Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by WildChild00(m): 11:01am On Dec 25, 2014
Nysc is no longer wat it used to be, but be that as it maybe, most participant after passing out, takes longer time for them to be gainfully employed, reasons been that they were perhaps not talk entrepreneurial skills, for them to be independent pending wen the "job" comes!
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by makazona(m): 11:03am On Dec 25, 2014
no time in particular is too long.just make sure u are not idle...
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by nanizle(m): 11:04am On Dec 25, 2014
It took me 6 months.

I think if 12 months goes by and you don't have anything going, then your not doing something right.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 25, 2014
Never wait for an opportunity to come before aiming for another... Life is in different dimensions for different individuals.
Furthermore, learn to develop yourself at every point in life.

1 Like

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by tijusegele(m): 11:06am On Dec 25, 2014
4 nw get sumtin doin n put ur trust in God dat year 2015 is ur year

1 Like

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by seunwen2(m): 11:06am On Dec 25, 2014
[size=16pt]My own case would be different getting a job after service[/size]
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Jhayeahsam01(m): 11:07am On Dec 25, 2014
this is wia we all need Gods connection
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by roughdiamond(m): 11:07am On Dec 25, 2014
fryo4life:
how long is too long to wait for a job after nysc? that is for how long should a fresh graduate wait for a job ( paid employment) after nysc before considering alternative mean, such as starting a business or creating a job for yourself.
Answer.You should start up something&have alternative while still in school.
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Femsyn(m): 11:12am On Dec 25, 2014
You're either immature or inexperienced
onadana:
coolit depends on your definition of job.What did you study in school...no job ..no job..have you heard doctors...engineers ..lawyers...accountants,chartered...oooo...say no job...there will be no job when what you read is an obscured course all in the name of going to school.And if you are in the league of those who did not invest wisely in their allawee....you go find job tire.

10 Likes

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:13am On Dec 25, 2014
fore me i finish service in febuary dis year andf am working in jumia i started last month after two month interview....... so u will keep trying there is life after service... although i wasnt able to save after service due to were i was poisted to wen am serving bayelsa...... buth all the same i thank God

1 Like

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Atigba: 11:13am On Dec 25, 2014
Some times 10 years
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Sunkyphil(m): 11:14am On Dec 25, 2014
like me i waited for exactly a year b4 getting a job;the question shld be the kind of job and how the welfare package is like;u may wait for two years and get a job dat tripples the salary of one who got a job as soon as he finished serving

8 Likes

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by luvprince4real(m): 11:18am On Dec 25, 2014
Leave d stress of work and job hunting 4 now and enjoy d season.... Oniru Beach loading..

1 Like

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by emmykk(m): 11:19am On Dec 25, 2014
B4 nysc you hear people saying when the discharge certificate is ready come for the job or we will give you job.

when you are with the certificate those opportunities are no longer there or they start asking for first class or 2:1 as if every1 will graduate with those grade.

there is no number of time as late.

All you need to do is get the available job,even if pay is low.

Then save money,add to it by borrowing from friends or relation and start a business.

For business to start look at shipping reports for what nigeria import and start along those line.Nigeria main import is bulk rice,bulk wheat,fish,diesel,kerosene,petrol,salt,sugar etc

1 Like

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by wazobia50(m): 11:27am On Dec 25, 2014
Long ago I was tot that luck is when preparation meets opportunity,so it does exist in isolation. The only job opportunity that can nnever sieze is franchising...bringing buyers and sellers to an exchange consensus. If you understand the business that pays and you prepare to meet with the standards of prospects,infact some companies are ready to equip you if you show interest in heklping them get buyers. Instead of being idle
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 25, 2014
You mustn't wait for a particular period of time before starting your own business if you have the means... You can have a business while still job hunting. ..
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Jarus(m): 11:29am On Dec 25, 2014
In my opinion, anything after 1 year is long.

Some company's recruitment cycle from start to finish even takes up to 6 months.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by seangy4konji: 11:29am On Dec 25, 2014
Pray you see something to eat while searching because 2 months for be like 20 years if Jodi's to eat. Nothing is guaranteed apart from only god.

Prepare yourself for the worst. Always.
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by RotrEmmanuel: 11:32am On Dec 25, 2014
onadana:
coolit depends on your definition of job.What did you study in school...no job ..no job..have you heard doctors...engineers ..lawyers...accountants,chartered...oooo...say no job...there will be no job when what you read is an obscured course all in the name of going to school.And if you are in the league of those who did not invest wisely in their allawee....you go find job tire.
I guess u are still in school or yet to start! Nigeria of today doesn't respect all these discipline u mentioned if not for medicine only.
I'm an engineer with 2.1 in mechanical but still no job even after many trials.
job this days is all about grace of God which could lead to luck abi na connection.
Maybe when u finish serving like us, u will know how far.

10 Likes

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Ehimenboy(m): 11:32am On Dec 25, 2014
Wow.

#takes a deep breath#
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by fryo4life(m): 11:34am On Dec 25, 2014
What about a situation where start up capital to start a business is unavailable. And job after nysc is not forthcoming as expected. What will the graduate do to earn a living? Since no one knows if getting a job may come or not.
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by aspirebig: 11:35am On Dec 25, 2014
It took me six months to get a job, but I started the interviews process immediately after service because my NYSC certificate was needed to ascertain that I have served.

So I think it is relative to individual, to someone else six months is long, to someone else, it is not long.

But, the earlier the better,that is the truth.
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 25, 2014
free2ryhme:

no long is too long as long as u get a job

"no long thing"....
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by obiak4(m): 11:41am On Dec 25, 2014
for me I have been employed in 2 organization but d pay na peanut cos they are not ready to pay a good salary and am not ready to become a slave for someone. hopefully 2015 I would start another job save a little and bingo I am my own boss.
don't get it twisted cos it not hard for me getting a 30-40k what am after is d 130k plus pls if u have any kindly contact me on my signature wish u all a merry Xmas and a happy new year in advance
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by bodeoni: 11:44am On Dec 25, 2014
Let me first say that I don't believe luck has anything to do with getting a job. Its all about having a plan. One thing I realised during my service year is that about 90% of corpers are ignorant as to what lies ahead, the skills and competencies they need to properly survive after the service year, what oppurtunities are avialable and how to properly harness those oppurtunities in their favour.
For me, its matter of having a plan, a detailed one even before one starts the NYSC program
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by LaurelP(m): 11:46am On Dec 25, 2014
MacluvPH:
No time,is too long as far as u wear patience as a cloth and wait diligently for your own time to secure a job cos its always happen like a Miracle.Mine happened like a movie and dream come true.I never did any interview.I just got a call from oil drilling firm one aternoon after returning from the secondary school I was teaching in Kaduna, and the lady being the Human Resource manager told me "sequel to my interview" that am to resume work on so so date in PH and I didn't have to argue which interview,I just followed up and told her" thank you ma" as if I attended any interview for that job.all I did afterwards was to go and study and know the duty expected of me in that job.and today am perfect in that job and my salary is Wow. So just be patient.Gods time is the best.

U can actually be of help to others also
I'm saying dat u can spread d blessing to odas like me who re still waiting. What do u say?
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by kristein(m): 11:49am On Dec 25, 2014
onadana:
am feeling you bruh! i mean why won't they complain about workers retrenchment when all they do is to accept whatever course been primitively given to them all in name of "getting admission"to university..i know 98% of my friend who are currently in school studying what they can't even give the definition of! after the successful passing out of the hurdle of higher institution,there you will starting hunting for job side to side..i have prolly made up my mind that i won't study any course which i have never dreamnt of,i mean is appauling,i will stick with my professional course all the time..
"rep accountancy
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by PStacks(m): 11:50am On Dec 25, 2014
taymmytorpe:
Diz lyf is abt Luck má guy
Som ár fuckin Lucky
Why som ár alwyz unfortunate
May God let us b among d fortunate ones ijn

I don't believe in Luck, I don't believe in Coincidence, I don't believe in accidents, and I don't believe in Fate.
I believe only in the Destiny we create for ourselves with our own Hands.
I believe the whole world stands still for the man who 'Knows' what he's doing and where he's going.
I believe Knowledge is Power.
Blessed father, help make me more knowledgeable in the year of our lord 2015. Amen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by MacluvPH(m): 11:54am On Dec 25, 2014
Yeah,but its all abt where u reside?cos the closer to PH the better cos interviews is always Impromptu.
LaurelP:

U can actually be of help to others also
I'm saying dat u can spread d blessing to odas like me who re still waiting. What do u say?
Re: Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? by jammani(m): 11:54am On Dec 25, 2014
SaiBuharii:
I disagree 100% it's luck. Is it luck that will apply for jobs and be up to date not missing any opening? Is it luck that will help you prepare and pass ur shl, gmat and dragnet test? Is it luck that will bring confidence to dazzle in interviews? Big NO. I agree the time span for the recruitment process could be long...but its all about the huzzle. In my case 'my story' I gatecrash test so tey when I started seeing constant faces on the same mission and we greet our self like "bros you dey here again". Some were successful, some were not. I applied for any opening, even though I knew I will not tk d job...some just to gain interview experience. I prepared adequately for test and the only negative feedback I could get was they will not get back, but not that I failed...luck doesnt do these. I started d huzzle 6 mths into service, altho the NYSC certificate stuff was always a barrier. NYSC finished and most were still under processing...3-6 months after I became confused cos I was getting offers left and right...from big firms and banks. In 4 months I started 3 new jobs, I always left during training, all this while I had the offer of d coy I knew I will go last last, their process took 10mths.

Brotherly this is a huzzle industry, there are jobs outside...the koko is information...and involve baba God, u don't hv to give pastor all your money to pray for u, or attend church 190 times a week, just make sure personally "Oluwa is involved"

Its still luck, many hustle infact busztle pass you, but they aint happy as you are. I still appreciate yur quest for success tho, but bro you are still LUCKy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider / Graduate Trainee Recruitment At KPMG Nigeria - Apply Now / NIS Recruitment: FG Gives Automatic Employment To 105 Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.