Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Why Some May Still Prefer "Goodluck" By Tokunbo Akintola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Some May Still Prefer "Goodluck" By Tokunbo Akintola (890 Views)

S / Ojukwu : Authentic Nigerian Hero. By Tokunbo Ogunbiyi / Nigerians At Large Still Prefer Pdp, The Only National Party-see Evidence Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Some May Still Prefer "Goodluck" By Tokunbo Akintola by Areolad: 10:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
“It was a long day at work”. I thought as I dragged myself along the street, clutching a
polythene sack filled with groceries. Small generators buzzing annoyingly, spewing
contents of death from their engines. As usual, it’s blackout. PHCN has dealt serious
blows of late. I decided to check out a pair of shoes at a nearby shop and, somehow
though in my tired state, got talking about politics, with the shop owner telling me he’d vote
Goodluck Jonathan. I asked him why and he said its because of the Niger Delta ex-militant
Tompolo (he couldn’t even pronounce the name properly). According to this shop owner, power
changing hands from President Jonathan will lead to a violent reprisal from Tompolo, Asari and
others. I then began to differ by explaining certain economic factors as reasons Goodluck
Jonathan had better not continue and then, I discovered I lost him as he stared on like I was
speaking Greek, even though I spoke in pidgin English and used examples he could relate with in
his trade.
The First Instance
It was in 1979 that the eloquent and astute Yusuf Maitama Sule lost to Shehu Shagari. At the
time, some Nigerians found the sophistication of Maitama Sule incomprehensible, so they opted
for the more seemingly average Shehu Shagari, a man they could relate with and whom they felt
could speak the Nigerian “language”.Had they known, the more enlightened populace would
have done all within their power to have Maitama Sule instead, as the corruption and
impropriety of Shehu Shagari regime has only been outdone by that of President Goodluck
Jonathan. At the time, the people had no clear definition as to what they wanted from their own
leaders and, a people who don’t know what they want will have to make do with what they get.
People get the kind of leaders they deserve.If the electorate is misguided and politically ignorant,
they will naturally elect a leader, who mirrors the image they know best.
…and some
As at 2010, 61.3% of Nigerians were literate. That is, people from age 15 and above who could
read and write. While this may be relatively average in our collective performance, it by far falls
below expectation judging by the country’s potential. The literacy rate in Sweden is 99%.
Functional literacy in Nigeria however, though not easily ascertained in strict figures, is by far
lower based on my observation, at least deduced from encounters in my career line. Sadly, this
worrisome situation continues to be used as a tool for manipulation in our socio-political
framework. Countless times, I have had to educate people, for instance, that the provision of
basic infrastructure by the government, is not a dividend of democracy because that is what the
government ought to do in the first place, with the people’s taxes. Neither should such be used
as a leverage to your political advantage. Also, that the reason we have such happen is because
the people have settled for that as the pedestal and do not know any better.
The Situation
President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration is in many ways similar to that of Shehu Shagari
in its condoning of corrupt practices. Nigerians overtime have continued to have myopic views
with regards to what they term “good governance”. If I ask many young Nigerians if
they’d wack as much money as they can wack on getting a political appointment, most will
unabashedly tell me “yes, why not?” and then retort with “if you get there, won’t you do the
same?” Agree with me or not, there has never been a regime as fertile a ground for corruption as
this one, and since some Nigerians see the government as a provider of “national cakes” already,
why would they want this kind of administration to end, as opportunities may abound
to chop their own somehow.
Also, the massive ill-informed turn out for Goodluck Jonathan in his election reflects the level of
functional illiteracy of many Nigerians, aside the allegation of vote rigging in favour of the PDP.
At street level, I observed it was another Shehu Shagari instance all over again. How one can
vote someone for saying he had no shoes and, for his name being “Good luck” baffles me. Many
(including the president’s aides) have continued to eulogize based on these two facts alone, till
this day. I remember asking many at the time, “what are Jonathan’s achievements as deputy
governor and vice-president?” and only few people around me asked the same question. Others
simply went with the “good luck” flow.
Conclusion
Functional literacy is a huge factor here and sadly, if President Jonathan comes forward this
week to tell some “Please vote me. I will bring good luck to you. Remember that’s my name.”
They’d walk down to the booth and cast their votes based on that, forgetting this is a man who
said he was “revolutionizing” agriculture by distributing cotton seeds.

saharareporters.com/2014/12/23/why-some-may-still-prefer-goodluck
Re: Why Some May Still Prefer "Goodluck" By Tokunbo Akintola by NATHSUN(m): 10:57pm On Dec 25, 2014
I no wan hear story jhor................. GEJ pack all ur load from aso rock self............. I Don vex
Re: Why Some May Still Prefer "Goodluck" By Tokunbo Akintola by saaedlee: 10:58pm On Dec 25, 2014
The shop owner is as CLUELESS as his preferred choice of President come 2015.

(1) (Reply)

10,000 Lagos Youths Marching For Ambode. / Effects Of Dwindling Oil Price On Nigerian Economy / Adducted Chibok Girl Among 13 Unsolved Mysteries That Still Need Answers In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.