Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,113 members, 7,863,881 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:22 AM

I Lost 3,000 Books To Boko Haram – Othman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Lost 3,000 Books To Boko Haram – Othman (385 Views)

Must Read: Othman Dan Fodio Is Not Done With Nigeria Yet / Oyo And Ogun State Are Grazing Reserve Areas We Have In Nigeria--Baba Othman / Be Careful With That Conference! By Bashiru Othman Tofa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Lost 3,000 Books To Boko Haram – Othman by enifex(m): 9:59pm On Dec 26, 2014
I lost 3,000 books to Boko Haram – Othman

Othman made the declaration while delivering a keynote address, titled Creative writing and the challenges of globalisation – The mediating role of residency, at the 4th anniversary of the Ebedi International Writers Residency in the Oyo State capital.

The former commissioner, who now teaches English and Literature at the University of Maiduguri, said he had felt deeply hurt when the books, which he regarded as his most valuable possessions, were destroyed by members of the Boko Haram.

He said, “In all my travels abroad, I have never bought anything except books. When I served as commissioner for information in my state, I travelled all over the world. My estacodes went into purchasing books. Also, as a chief of staff with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, I spent my estacodes on books.

“So I had a large collection of books, about 3,000 choice titles across every discipline – in addition to the ones I had acquired as a student – in my home in Madagali. It was a really special collection. Sadly, all the books were vandalised by the insurgents.”

Othman said his home was looted and virtually nothing was left behind, in addition to the destruction of his personal library and its priceless cultural contents.

He said, “From the fragments of information that I received from some of the residents – most of whom are still trapped in Madagali – the members of the sect that moved into my house hated anything that is intellectual or academic. I don’t have a house any more. The Boko Haram have taken over my home. They have taken over my community.”

http://nairaland.com/i-lost-3000-books-to-boko-haram-othman/

- See more at: http://nairaland.com/i-lost-3000-books-to-boko-haram-othman/#sthash.S10iGklP.dpuf
Re: I Lost 3,000 Books To Boko Haram – Othman by IamDejman(m): 10:00pm On Dec 26, 2014
I'm so sorry undecided

I lost friends to Boko Haram cry
Re: I Lost 3,000 Books To Boko Haram – Othman by holatin(m): 10:03pm On Dec 26, 2014
Wetin concern boko harms with your book.

Smh

God edit and delete insurgence from nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Deleted / Enough Is Enough!!! Lets Not Embarass Ourselves Again / INEC Begins Fresh Registration In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.