Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov (797 Views)

Dogara Seeks Senate’s Approval For Removal Of IGP / 17 Lawmakers Press For Removal Of Adamawa Speaker / Presidency Rejects Removal Of Immunity Clause (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by Muza(m): 1:53am On Dec 12, 2008
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200812123591421
Call for removal of immunity clause: Yar’Adua is on his own — Imo gov
By Segun Olatunji, Kaduna
Published: Friday, 12 Dec 2008
Imo State Governor, Ikedi Ohakim, on Thursday in Kaduna disagreed with President Umaru Yar’Adua over his recent call for the removal of the immunity clause from the 1999 Constitution of the country.

File
Imo State Governor, Chief Iked
President Yar’Adua had on Wednesday said that expunging the immunity clause from the law books of the nation would enhance the efforts of the various anti-graft agencies to effectively combat corruption.

Ohakim, however, said that the president who was entitled to his opinion, was alone regarding the matter that has for long generated debates in the polity.

The governor, who spoke with journalists in Kaduna at the end of the yearly public lecture organised by a group, Northern Development Initiative, insisted that there were several more effective ways to fight corruption, rather than through the removal of the immunity clause from the constitution.

Ohakim, therefore, stressed that he would not be a party to any move by anyone or group to expunge from the constitution a clause that necessarily guaranteed the protection of the incumbent governors and the president against being distracted through frivolous petitions and unnecessary legal tussle.

He said, “The President has the right to advocate the removal of immunity clause, but that is his belief. Immunity Clause? Yes, there is time for everything, a time to be born and a time to die.

“There is a time for immunity clause and there will be a time to remove it, but as at today as I am standing here today (Thursday) in Kaduna , I don’t think immunity clause should be removed and I will not support the idea.

“But if by tomorrow there are other parameters that have been proved, I will advocate it (immunity clause) to be removed.

“The way Nigeria is today with several unresolved questions, I don’t think it is ripe to talk about the removal of the clause, especially when those who write unnecessary petitions go free without being punished. And it is these same people that will go and canvass the removal of immunity clause. So, I don’t think that will enable our economy to witness accelerated development.

“I believe that there are many areas of the constitution that require amendment to assist Nigeria in fulfilling its manifest destiny, and not the issue of corruption alone.”

the governor added.
Re: Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by Muza(m): 2:00am On Dec 12, 2008
dama i knew those thieving govs will not allow it.

the irony of this is that,this is the same gov that last week recommended the stoning of corrupt leaders.
Re: Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by udezue(m): 9:03am On Dec 12, 2008
the governor is an idiot. If his hands are clean he'll not be against it.
Re: Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 12, 2008
Muza:

dama i[b] knew those thieving govs will not allow it[/b].

the irony of this is that,this is the same gov that last week recommended the stoning of corrupt leaders.

Of course the Govs will not allow it, even Yar Adua himself will not allow it. Its one thing to 'say', its another thing entirely to carry it through. As far as I'm concerned, Nigeria never reach that level yet!
Re: Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by scottN(m): 9:52am On Dec 12, 2008
Muza:

dama i knew those thieving govs will not allow it.

What did u expect? How many governors have declared their assets since the President did? They are all out there to do what their predecessors did and much more.
Re: Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by Muza(m): 10:25am On Dec 12, 2008
scottN:

What did u expect? How many governors have declared their assets since the President did? They are all out there to do what their predecessors did and much more.

Like some one said the only solution is to get everyone inside a house and bomb it. grin
Re: Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by Ikeymann0O: 4:01pm On Dec 12, 2008
Muza:

Like some one said the only solution is to get everyone inside a house and bomb it. grin

I can't agree with you more but unfortunately, that someone is not yet born.
Re: Call For Removal Of Immunity Clause: Yar’adua Is On His Own — Imo Gov by McKren(m): 9:30pm On Dec 12, 2008
Yaradua's statement was purely dishonest, while the Governor's words were ill chose, he did not put his argument in context.

Yar'adua who takes 6 months to change his cabinet will take his whole term to change the constitution on this matter and will still not succeed. The President was simply being dishonest. Their is no point dropping a plan to remove immunity clause and then getting may be your AGF to lobby senators to kill it. This administration says one thing and structurally does the opposite.
They can't even pass FOI bill. Yar'adua is the first elected President to get his ministers to swear oath of secrecy and yet someone wants to take him seriously when he talks about immunity clause. Since this administration he has used the number one law office solely for the purpose of giving immunity to ex-governors who have lost their immunity.

At best I think Yar'adua is trying to purchase popular support on the cheap.

On the part of Ohakim, I think his words were illchosen. I am personally not in support of outright removal of the immunity clause. Governors and the President should be protected from trivial prosecutions from the public. It will impede their service, however I believe the Police, AGF, EFCC, ICPC should have the power to investigate and prosecute a criminal Governor in the court of law while he is still in office.

Only the President should enjoy his immunity untill he is impeached or regime comes to an end.

(1) (Reply)

How You Can Become A Pacesetter / Igbos, Ijaws And Other Southerners (non Yorubas) - Where Do You Stand ? / Yar’adua’s Daughter’s Wedding: 3 Vp’s Aides Die In Auto Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.