Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer (13149 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Mangu-Bokkos-Plateau: The Largest Mechanized Farm In Nigeria / Ghana And Japan Overtake Nigeria In Yam Exports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by charming247(m): 11:44am On Dec 29, 2014
Wow that's good news, seriously we can achieve a lot through Agriculture.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 29, 2014
These are the people we should be praising, not thieves.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by jonezz(m): 11:54am On Dec 29, 2014
I'm glad to hear this
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by kevoh(m): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2014
If only yam could be turned into some form of sandwich that would rival the cheese,chicken and ham burger, it will be so nice and bring in more revenue.

Americans live and breath burgers/sandwiches, I'm sure they would be our major buyers. smiley
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2014
Unionised:
I guess the world doesn't like yams then?
much likely.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 29, 2014
Huffington:
NIGERIA WORLD'S LARGEST YAM PRODUCER - EXPERT
Ibadan, Dec. 28, 2014.

A Geneticist at the University of Ibadan, Dr Morufat Balogun, on Sunday said Nigeria produced 70 per cent of the yam grown annually and globally.

Balogun, who is also a researcher at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ibadan. She said while Nigeria grew 70 per cent of yam annually, other countries shared the remaining 30 per cent. She said that between 37 and 40 million of metric tons of yam were produced in the world annually. "Nigeria alone produces 70 per cent of yam every year all over the world, the remaining 30 per cent is shared among Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, Togo and Benin Republic," Balogun said.

She said in some areas in Southern America, some varieties of the commodity were also produced adding that the production of yam both for import and export largely depended on Nigeria.

"If Nigeria stops to produce yam today, the global production of yam will reduce by 70 per cent and it will affect exportation," she said.

The expert said that production of yam if properly harnessed, could turn around the standard of living of millions of farmers and other investors interested in the business.

She advised farmers to plant more yam so as to improve the economy, saying that the crop could liberate Africa from excessive rice consumption. (NAN).

http://leadership.ng/news/398242/nigeria-worlds-largest-yam-producer

: http://ndibenonso..com/2014/12/nigeria-worlds-largest-yam-producer.html
that's good. They should also improve on the side of beans before obesity kill us...//
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by DRpiwi(m): 12:04pm On Dec 29, 2014
I shame 4 naija scam... A tuber still goes 4 350 naira, story 4 TAN.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by ProfDumbledor(m): 12:04pm On Dec 29, 2014
Yet one can't get a small tuber of yam in Abuja for less than #200.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Emmalot121(m): 12:05pm On Dec 29, 2014
Good for them.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 29, 2014
Tinubu:
Op

You mean this kind of yam?

Crazy statistics with too little to show for it undecided

Next story jor....
that one na female yam

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by kazmanbanjoko(m): 12:07pm On Dec 29, 2014
Oh tank God for that, at all at all, na witch.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Mcowubaba: 12:08pm On Dec 29, 2014
ireneony:
I feel like eating pounded yam with egusi soup...fill with bush meat,magala fish, kpomo, beef......yummmy
come to my House Right away..its' gettin Cold..tongue
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Vikkie14: 12:10pm On Dec 29, 2014
AYAM happy with this. BTW, i can count the number of times i chop Yam this year ooo, so AYAM not eating YAM frequently because AYAM not seeing enough YAM in the YAM market to purchase.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2014
oluwadanie1:
Yam exporting things

Bt wait o, y can't we punish the world by hoarding it for a particular period of time then just release it into the market to make maximum profit.

Abi I no dy tink am well ni
and if they find a substitute. The situation will become that of our oil.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 29, 2014
ireneony:
I feel like eating pounded yam with egusi soup...fill with bush meat,magala fish, kpomo, beef......yummmy
and an ebola infested monkey meat to mak it delicious
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 29, 2014
Jostico:
so its an achievment abi?? undecided

What? 100% it. Is! Source of income revenue for the country.
Nigeria has very fertile land and is also blessed with over 400 solid minerals , gold being one of them

Unfortunately, nigeria till date is not aware of what the government is doing on this

I strongly beleivev that they are. Doing their personal business with it and only exposing us to the knowledge on oil revenue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by sunnshyn(f): 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2014
70% of that said Yam produced is still bought and eaten by majorly Nigerians the world over...

Wetin concern oyibo with Yam? Who sabi yam?

Don't mind me jare! Good achievement! Taaa!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by yomalex(m): 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2014
Dr Morufat Balogun of CPEB. smiley
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by wisepigeon: 1:01pm On Dec 29, 2014
after a second thought ...

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Ibime(m): 1:02pm On Dec 29, 2014
So what?

Yam is not a cash crop.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by justscorch: 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
Yet the price of garri is high,go and die
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by laplace19(m): 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
bukatyne:
Can we now start exporting yam since crude oil is messing us up?

Curiosity....are you fat?
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by fapcrook(m): 1:35pm On Dec 29, 2014
ireneony:
Are you sure its that type of yam u want? Na question i dey ask oo
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by bukatyne(f): 1:45pm On Dec 29, 2014
laplace19:

Curiosity....are you fat?

Why?
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by eromspete(m): 2:17pm On Dec 29, 2014
This is not new information na.. There was never any competition from the beginning.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Sunny4Gold: 3:48pm On Dec 29, 2014
True talk.

White Yam - Dioscorea Rotundata
Yellow Yam - Dioscorea Cayenensis
Water Yam - Dioscorea Alata

Production
Worldwide yam production in 2007 amounted to 52 million tons, of which Africa produced 96%. Most of the world's production comes from West Africa representing 94%, with Nigeria alone producing 71%, equaling more than 37 million tons. African countries imported more than 2,000 tons in 2002, and exported 15,500, of which Nigeria exported 12%.

Water yam is the 2nd most cultivated species, originated from Asia and is the
most widely distributed species in the world.
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by olalekan1(m): 5:08pm On Dec 29, 2014
Na so foreigners dey chop yam. I doubt this statistics.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by 100Cents: 5:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
Yam is my favorite but I hardly eat it anymore. Why ?

They have started cultivating breeds that rot under one month. I used to buy 10 tubers and they keep intact till I consume them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by Revolva(m): 5:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
I Trust Benue special.......na benue get yam o

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by 100Cents: 5:44pm On Dec 29, 2014
NaijaOptimist:
And still, many have got no food.

He who works not eats not.

Should one look at peoples' faces before bowing his head to work ?
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by laplace19(m): 5:54pm On Dec 29, 2014
bukatyne:

Why?

Your name... fat people do bear it as their nickname
Re: Nigeria Is World's Largest Yam Producer by bukatyne(f): 6:05pm On Dec 29, 2014
laplace19:

Your name... fat people do bear it as their nickname

Lol!

Hearing it for the first time

It is a combination of my first & middle name

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘why Israelis Are Training 1,000 Cross River Farmers’ / Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? / FG Blames Benin Republic And Cameroon Of Sabotaging Local Rice Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.