Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

What Next After Hnd....my Advice - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Next After Hnd....my Advice (7342 Views)

After HND, What Next / Next Thing After HND Programme / Can One Do A PGD After HND Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Next After Hnd....my Advice by kinibigdeal(m): 11:16pm On Dec 29, 2014
I try as much as possible to be of help to my colleagues here who for one way or the other need some certain information regarding their careers, though my previous thread has been subjected to critics due to some grammatical inconsistency which i was unable to correct becausr of the medium i was using to type all this alphabetic phrase. I want you to know that mistakes are part and parcel of life, while some mistakes can be corrected, others may be too late to correct.
It is no longer news that HND certificate is regarded in the industry as "A mere diploma" gotten from an advanced secondary school, this advanced secondary school called "polytechnic" is even regarded as a place for dull student who couldnt pass JAMB but admitted otherwise. To further add to the problem, third class students in the university are adviced to go for PGD, which implies that PGD(post graduate diploma) is for collection of intelligent graduates in the polytechnic and a third class graduate from the university. Well, is unfair you say, but you can say to yourself " Who cares" if you know exactly where you are going and what you want to achieve. All this bug down to your planning. However, this information will be useful for those who

a. Are currently undertaking HND
b. Considering taking HND course
c. Have already obtained HND certificate

In other not to create a long and boring thread, the following are what i think you can do next after HND

1. You can further your studies/Top-up

According to statistics 80% of HND graduates continue into further studies. This often involves taking a one year course, or top-up degree to achieve a degree qualification. An HND holder may enter directly onto 2-3 years of degree course, usually within the same subject area, based on your academic achievement and merit.

Reasons why some people embark on further studies

a. Because a degree might be a requirement for their chosen career
b. There HND course might provide an insight to higher education which make them to decide to further their studies
c. They might not meet up with the requirement for a degree and decide to use HND as a stepping stone
d. Their career goals remain unclear and they want to improve their education
e. They felt the labour market is not okay for their preferred career and seek to continue their academic development

2. If you dont want to further more, Get a job

But i will advice you, if you are still young like me, it is better to furthermore because the job you got with HND today might be a job of Degree tomorrow. But if you are too old to further more and you already have a job, please try to discuss with your employer if there is any prospects of promotion and professional development, if not, find another job brother. And if you dont have a job and you dont want to further more, try and put the following points in mind

a. What job opportunities are available
b. The state of the labour market
c. How your HND certificate will fit into your long term career plans and start gathering information about your strength and skills has it can best suit your work

3. You can be self employed

The good news about the polytechnic is that, they help you to develop valuable technical and vocational skills which your degree counterpart can never have except otherwise. How do you identify your skills? just carry out what i called "skill audit", is a process where you identify the skills and the strength you already have. You can put that together and develop yourself

4. Engage in what i called "Portfolio Work"

What i meant by portfolio working is a situation where you perform the Nigerian magic. That is, you mix different kinds of jobs to achieve a balance of flexibility. You can also call it the combination of 2-3 part times jobs that may or may not be related to your course of study.

Is very unfortunate that i cannot write out all my points on the recommended schools, scholarship available because the article is getting too long but i will try and create another thread for it or add up 32ECF787

2 Likes

Re: What Next After Hnd....my Advice by chikeorji123(m): 11:21pm On Dec 29, 2014
No need to created another thread Op..this ones headache is enough already.
Re: What Next After Hnd....my Advice by emmajames02: 1:08pm On Apr 09
Wondering what's next after completing your HND programme? Consider enhancing your academic journey with HND assignment help services from Assignment Desk. Our plagiarism-free content and grammar checker ensure top-quality assignments tailored to your needs. Empower your studies with expert assistance and excel in your academic pursuits. Trust Assignment Desk for reliable support in your educational endeavours.

(1) (Reply)

Abdulkabir Aliu Foundation Scholarship For Muslim Undergraduates / MAPOLY Suspends 4 Months Strike / Delta State Polytechnic Otefe-oghara (DESPO) Forms Are Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.