Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? (24705 Views)

Abubakar Sani Bello, The Richest Governor-Elect In Nigeria Detected / ‘Islamic State In West Africa': Boko Haram Renames Itself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by inprecise: 8:36pm On Aug 14, 2006
some now say Ghana oooo is richer? tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry wink
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by omonozozo(m): 9:10pm On Aug 14, 2006
Yes Ghana is the rishest; GDP per capita, while Nigeria is rishest; GDP purchasing power parity In West Africa. Nigeria is by the way the largest exporting Nation in Africa.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by vichel(m): 9:34pm On Aug 14, 2006
i sometimes wish we could only live up to our hype
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by omonozozo(m): 9:48pm On Aug 14, 2006
I think Nigeria is the poorest country in the whole of Africa in terms of GDP per capita
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by vichel(m): 10:13pm On Aug 14, 2006
omonozozo that is the sad truth sad sad sad
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Oracle(m): 12:50pm On Sep 04, 2008
I don't know about being the richest. I know we're the most populated Black nation
Thatz why they call themselves Giant of Africa
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by emekagh(m): 3:10am On Sep 19, 2009
omonozozo:

I think Nigeria is the poorest country in the whole of Africa in terms of GDP per capita
Frustration is never a good reason to spread misinformation or misconception. Nigeria has her problems, and our spread of misinformation is one of the greatest problem. sad angry

No matter how bad the situation is, let's stick to the truth. Giving ourselves bad names to justify our biases is a bad thing on is own. It exacerbates the issues. Let not be as inept as the the government we criticize daily.

Here are the facts about GNI as at 2008. It doesn't take too much effort to get:

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Nobody: 2:00am On Sep 20, 2009
omonozozo said:

You're wrong.

What a shame Nigeria wasted so much money on your education.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Nobody: 2:08am On Sep 20, 2009
emeka, thanks for that official data you posted above. It shows that Indians, Pakistanis, Kenyans, Ghanaians, Banglageshis etc have it much worse than Nigerians, but you'll rarely find any of those people dismissing their country the way some idiots who call themselves Nigerians do.

And I'm really getting sick of people going on about ''how well Ghana is doing''. Look, if you visit Ghana, all they have is Accra. Finish. Drive out of Accra the capital and you'll be wondering just what it is that people are talking about. It's like stopping off in Abuja and returning to say Nigeria is now eldorado.

Please please please, there is no basis for comparing Ghana to Nigeria. The Annual GDP of Lagos State alone is $33 billion.

The annual GDP of Ghana is $22 billion.

Says it all right there.

No basis for comparison.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Nobody: 2:39am On Sep 20, 2009
Topics like this embarrass me, when the common man cannot see food to eat, you want to call yourself rich?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by TOPE20001(f): 2:41am On Sep 20, 2009
omonozozo:

Lmao grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by emekagh(m): 2:40pm On Sep 20, 2009
ROSSIKE:

emeka, thanks for that official data you posted above. It shows that Indians, Pakistanis, Kenyans, Ghanaians, Banglageshis etc have it much worse than Nigerians, but you'll rarely find any of those people dismissing their country the way some idiots who call themselves Nigerians do.

And I'm really getting sick of people going on about ''how well Ghana is doing''. Look, if you visit Ghana, all they have is Accra. Finish. Drive out of Accra the capital and you'll be wondering just what it is that people are talking about. It's like stopping off in Abuja and returning to say Nigeria is now eldorado.

Please please please, there is no basis for comparing Ghana to Nigeria. The Annual GDP of Lagos State alone is $33 billion.

Says it all right there.

No basis for comparison.

You are welcome ROSSIKE,
You see most of the bad image and publicity we get is because of some of those here who run off their mouths with misinformation about Nigeria(ns). They seem happy to celebrate pessimism, and lies, and dismiss optimism and truth. It sad, what many have turn into.

Nigeria is not as bad as we paint it sometimes, and even in government, there are genuine people there too, trying to do the right things. But the problems are many, and efforts may not be so noticeable because of our penchant for impatience, and understanding.

Nigeria is a great nation, with good people. We shall get there!
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by kcblast(m): 6:38pm On Feb 09, 2010
I insist Nigeria is d poorest,because if they ar rich why would 85% live in scorching poverty angry
may God help us, AMEN cry cry cry lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Feb 09, 2010
kc-blast, where did you get the figure of 85%?

Just thought I'd ask for the record.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Sammy107d(m): 9:24pm On Feb 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

kc-blast, where did you get the figure of 85%?

Just thought I'd ask for the record.

Incredible right?
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by edoyad(m): 9:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
Some one go and find beaf to bring his charts to help you see this thing clearer.
Who's telling all you jokers that GDP whether ppp or capita is true measure of a nations standard of living ? Google Global Human Development Index (HDI) by the UN and check what no. Nigeria is on the chart. The Human Development Index is a mechanism used to check all aspects of life, so a country with High GDP with that wealth concentrated in a few hands is not a good measure of whether the people are living well. Go and read on HDI before any of you comment here again.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by MrCartha: 2:33pm On Apr 04, 2010
Richest in crime? Oh yes, supported! grin grin grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by ziga: 2:37pm On Apr 04, 2010
And what if we are the richest in the world. What next

Please move to "kids arguing about size of father's car" section
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 04, 2010
Nigeria is the second largest economy in Africa.

There is immense wealth flowing through that country, but only a few rogues and endemically corrupt , unrepentant hardened criminals get to feel its wind.

Obviously there are exceptions, by which I mean all the hardworking Igbo boys ( Alaba etc ) , Yoruba shop owners and Hausa cattle rearers ( lol).

Anyway Nigeria needs redemption.

Lets hope it is nigh !
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Sunofgod(m): 3:24pm On Apr 04, 2010
I would say that Nigeria must contain the 'Richest Indivduals' in West Africa (Particulary ex and serving government and military officials)

Possibly even the richest group of individuals in Africa are Nigerian.

However, the money they posses and the assets they are own not necesarily in circulation within the boundaries of Nigeria or in the Nigerian economy.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Sunofgod(m): 3:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
I dont think Ghana can yet boast of being 'Richer' than Nigeria.

I dont think that will ever happen - But they are making good progress.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by RoadStar: 2:23am On Apr 05, 2010
Sun of god:

I dont think Ghana can yet boast of being 'Richer' than Nigeria.

I dont think that will ever happen - But they are making good progress.
Nigeria has the biggest economy is west africa by a mile.
Nigerias annual GDP is more than the rest countries put together.

Even Nigerians don't know this.
Its a pity doras re-branding dint yield the expected result.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:19am On Apr 05, 2010
RoadStar:

Nigeria has the biggest economy is west africa by a mile.
Nigerias annual GDP is more than the rest countries put together.

Even Nigerians don't know this.
Its a pity doras re-branding dint yield the expected result.

Why do people have to throw tangents into their arguments, you and I both know thats rubbish
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Ikengawo: 5:27am On Apr 05, 2010
look how dense you people are?

did you know the economy of River State alone is on par with Ghana?
Nigerians are always looking for who they can call better then themselves.

Rivers State
$21.07 billion
$3,965 (Per Capita)

Ghana
$36.322 billion
$1,571(per captia)

And im not even bringing Lagos into the picture let alone the rest of nigeria. You people are so negative it's unreal. quit being pathetic and appreciate the country you have. How is Nigeria the poorest country in west africa when Niger is the poorest country in the world? ignorants,

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by OAM4J: 5:32am On Apr 05, 2010
I wonder why people just argue blindly in this age and time.

Facts and figures are not far fetched, they are available at the clicks of your mouse. Why make silly assumptions.

If you want to know the richest country in West Africa by whatever parameter, check d internet

Goggle is still user friendly.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:34am On Apr 05, 2010
Thank you OAM4J,
Instead of us to be discussing ways to grow Nigeria's GDP, we are arguing about facts that anyone can google,
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by nkoso: 10:17am On Dec 08, 2010
being rich is not a matter of openion, belief or emotion. it is rather based on fact. first, the nigerian economy is several times bigger than that of ghana. but this does not mean that every nigerian compared with every ghanaian has several times the income. the size of the economy has some advantages. example, nigeria can initiate huge project easily than ghana. also nigeria can easily attract international attention both politically and economically. it must be stressed that comparing GDP's can be misleading. if a country has a bigger income, it does not mean that every citizen has a bigger income. it is a fact that the difference between the very few nigerian rich and many nigerian poor is astronomical. income distribution in nigeria is highly unequal.this fuels crime. a better comparison is based on GDP per capita. this is where ghana takes the race. the average income of a ghanaian is significantly greater than a nigerian. yes, nigeria boasts of more rich people than ghana but there are thousand times more poor people in nigeria than ghana. that is a fact. right now, there are nigerians everywhere on the steets of accra selling movies n music. i think no ghanaian will do that in nigeria. and what about the quality of life - crime ,curruption,education, democracy,transparent elections etc. there are nigerians all over ghanaian universities. comparing nigeria and ghana is like that of china and dubai.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 08, 2010
The Lagos economy is twice the size of Ghana's

Do you mean richest country or richest people?
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Gbawe: 10:42am On Dec 08, 2010
emeka_gh:

Frustration is never a good reason to spread misinformation or misconception. Nigeria has her problems, and our spread of misinformation is one of the greatest problem.  sad  angry

No matter how bad the situation is, let's stick to the truth. Giving ourselves bad names to justify our biases is a bad thing on is own. It exacerbates the issues.  Let not be as inept as the the government we criticize daily. 

Here are the facts about GNI as at 2008. It doesn't take too much effort to get:

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf

My brother, God bless you. I have nothing to add. There are many inaccurate and outrightly false Nigerian pity-parties , based on self-hate , in cyberspace today. I generally steer clear of them because , IMO , it is a congregation of losers. It is like how a Ghanaian , on Nairaland, suggested ignorantly that Nigeria does not have an investment promotion agency. Sadly , Nigerian members of Nairaland , shunning the powerful research tool the internet presents, agreed !!!!! What other evidence does one need that some Nigerians , out of condemnable self-hatred, are ready to believe the worst about themselves, their fellow Nigerians and their nation without any recourse to facts or reality?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Omolulu(m): 10:47am On Dec 08, 2010
I think Nigeria is Richer, more resources and income,

With Senators and Legislators earning 10-15 million per month

and nothing flowing down the ladder to the common man(i love d phrase cool)

It's not hard to see why we are being tagged poorest
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by Beaf: 11:13am On Dec 08, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Says it all right there.

No basis for comparison.

I really don't get your point. Agreed, we must be proud of who we are, but we must also note the stark reality that there's a lot of work to be done. Emeka_gh's link puts Nigeria as the 171th poorest of 213 contries by Purchasing Power Parity (PPP). Where is the pride in that?

In the data referred to, India is richer than us and Pakistan is not worse; yes Ghana is poorer, but I fail to understand the reason for pride in Nigeria's dismal standing. Why should we compare ourselves to the likes of Bangladesh? Whats the reason?

171th poorest of 213 contries? God! I feel like crying!
Something in my head has been telling me we are about number 141 poorest, not good, but 171 is a real shocker.

For those who don't know what Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) is, its how much the same item costs in different countries; its a direct measure of what the average person can afford.

. . .That list puts even Congo ahead of Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? by nkoso: 12:26pm On Dec 08, 2010
all that nigerians argue about is how big the country(economy) is, mentioning cities like lagos, abuja and all that. but not all nigerians leave in lagos - which is congested anyway! even if you leave in lagos, chances are that u are poor. very few are rich. ghana has less congested cities that are peaceful with stable electricity and a whole lot. if nigeria is as mighty as we have been misleading ourselves, why is it that every US president visits ghana instead of nigeria. lets stop lying to ourselves. i know it is hard to criticise your country when it is compared to a geographically small country like ghana but nigerians who have been to ghana know the difference. life is easier in ghana than nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Samuel Mariere Takes Farming As Hobby & As A Business / 2023: PDP Mulls Merger, Throws Open Presidential Ticket / Sowore Dares Garba Shehu To Release Tape Of Funtua’s Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.