Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? (2788 Views)

The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) / Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church / What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 2:44pm On Dec 12, 2008
Which is more violent, the Bible or the Quran?

Is there a way to objectively answer such a question?

Well, it wouldn't be easy. But it is possible to compare the amount of cruelty and violence in the two books.

Number of Cruel or Violent Passages

Bible 893
Quran 521

So the Bible has more cruel or violent passages as the Quran. But the Bible is a much bigger book. How do they compare when size is taken into account?

Violence and Cruelty           Total verses                  Percent

Bible     893                             31173                           2.86

Quran   521                             6236                             8.35

When expressed as a percentage of cruel or violent verses , the Quran has nearly three times that of the Bible. (8.35 vs. 2.86%)* Of course this analysis does not consider the extent of the cruelty in the marked passages. And that is an important consideration. Is Numbers 31:14-18, for example, more cruel than Quran 5:34? That is something that each person must decide. For example,

Numbers 31:14-18 states that:

31:14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.

31:15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? 

31:16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD. 

31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.        

31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. 

COMPARED WITH

Quoran Surah 5:33, which says:

"The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom."

A good argument could be made that either book is the most violent and cruel book ever written. The award would go to one or the other, for neither has any close competitors. It is frightening to think that more than half of the world's population believes in one or the other. undecided
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by Moyola(f): 2:46pm On Dec 12, 2008
Uhmmn. . .
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by KunleOshob(m): 2:56pm On Dec 12, 2008
@Adam brody
You sound so much like Huxley/therationa, are you one and the same person?
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 3:15pm On Dec 12, 2008
hmmm, you want me to spill it out! grin

No o am not huxley or therationa but i am no spring chicken here, lol

Keep on guessing and i promise to reveal who i once was if you get it right!

Now back to the topic at hand

Which book is more violent! grin
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by Lady2(f): 3:23pm On Dec 12, 2008
The difference between the Bible and Quran.

The Bible contains history of a people that included what we would call violence today. It doesn't command you to violence

The Quran simply commands you to violence.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by kolaoloye(m): 3:45pm On Dec 12, 2008
@topic
Am not here to judge but according to your arithmetic the difference is clear.
Let me confess here:the only reason why i left islam is because of unforgiveness and cruelty.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by KunleOshob(m): 4:13pm On Dec 12, 2008
Adam Brody:

hmmm, you want me to spill it out! grin

No o am not huxley or therationa but i am no spring chicken here, lol

Keep on guessing and i promise to reveal who i once was if you get it right!

Now back to the topic at hand

Which book is more violent! grin
Then you must redsun or wirinet, we don't have that many delusioned people in the house cheesy
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by bilms(m): 4:30pm On Dec 12, 2008

Lady~ (f)

The difference between the Bible and Quran.

The Bible contains history of a people that included what we would call violence today. It doesn't command you to violence

The Quran simply commands you to violence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If i may ask, where in the Holy qur'an command u to do violence?
stop speaking ignorantly because u want to contribute to a thread and sin to God Almighty

kola oloye (m)

@topic
Let me confess here:the only reason why i left islam is because of unforgiveness and cruelty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who in islam have u offended that fails to forgive u? or which sin have u committed that has no forgiveness.

MAy God direct u, but i must tell u guys if u want to contribute to something, make sure u have knowledge about it

cheers
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 4:34pm On Dec 12, 2008
hmmm, still playing catch up and guess games, lol

Ask mazaje and chris, they should be in a better position to know who i am, lol

Dont worry, thanks to te Mods, i am much more calmer than the former terror on NL grin

But back to topic, why does the holy books promote so much carnage and violence and wanton evil? Do they still deserve to be termed as holy books?
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by olabowale(m): 4:44pm On Dec 12, 2008
@Kola Oloye: Are you sure that the words "forgiveness" and "kindness" do not occur in the Qur'aan? They are the opposites of unforgiveness and cruelty. Or are they not? If I show these to you, aburo, you must then come come back to Al Islam. If my mother can enter Islam, so can you return to it.

@ adam brody:

Numbers 31:14-18 states that:

31:14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.

31:15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?  

31:16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.  

31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.        

31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.  

The one who gave instruction above is Moses. Further, we see that all he asked them to save among the conquered people are young and virgins, for "themselves!" I wonder what men will do with virgins whose tribal men are wiped out? I am making this observation because the people should now that the law of life and death in the Bible is stricter and more dire for the weak, if we objectively compare it to the Qur'aan.

COMPARED WITH

Quoran Surah 5:33, which says:

"The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom."

The Speaker here is Allah Himself. Muhammad has nothing to say about it. Yet, the allowance to show mercy is expressed as in "expelling them out of the land!" Then the instruction to serve the only befitting reward upon them; kill, or crucify, or cut hands and feet on alternative sides or expel them from the land, is restricted to those who make war upon Allah and His Messenger and their striving after corruption in the land. The punishment does not cover or hang over every person in the camp; aged, and disvirgined, non combatant, virgins or young. It is strictly on evil doers and those who support them out of freewill.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by olabowale(m): 4:47pm On Dec 12, 2008
And Adam Brody; do you have a condition whereby you can be deemed violent against whom you act or react upon? Remember you just called yourself "former terror" above? I see that you like it because of your open laughter about it.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 5:02pm On Dec 12, 2008
@olabowale

Yes i was a former VERBAL TERROR on NL and i am not denying that!

But i never commanded anyone on NL to cut off the limbs and feet and cruxify any NL that doesnt share my views!

You just scored a lower point in front of the christians by proving Allah is more of an unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, [s]unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser[/s]; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. grin

So so far even though i hate to admit it, its:

Koran 0 Bible 1 wink
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by auwal87(m): 5:17pm On Dec 12, 2008
Brody is another Candidate Contesting for Position in the Hell Fire!
Good Luck!!!
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by auwal87(m): 5:26pm On Dec 12, 2008
@ kola oloye
Really you were Muslim before? What was your Muslim name?
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2008
auwal87:

Brody is another Candidate Contesting for Position in the Hell Fire!
Good Luck!!!

o boy! embarassed

Another fire branding religious apologist that dwells so much i the curses and venoms and swears that his heavenly god teaches you! Its so easy to become an atheist with people like you around!

Besides i think hell will be a much safer place to be in because so far i have been researching on the evils between god and the devil and the odds look mighty good to the devil compared to god! wink
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by MissyB1(m): 5:28pm On Dec 12, 2008
kola oloye:

@topic
Let me confess here:the only reason why[b] i left islam[/b] is because of unforgiveness and cruelty.
Realy?? shocked shocked
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2008
No he cant be huxley . . . at least huxley had some intelligence with his questions.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 5:47pm On Dec 12, 2008
davidylan:

No he can't be huxley . . . at least huxley had some intelligence with his questions.

I agree that i am not as intelligent as Huxley but i am not a liar like olumuyiwa from Abeokuta! grin
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 12, 2008
hey Adam Dumby . . . cheesy
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:06pm On Dec 12, 2008
For now only two names come to mind xenophobic and bloodshed but I don't really take note of verbally crass people, shows no intelligence at all.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:07pm On Dec 12, 2008
For now only two names come to mind xenophobic and bloodshed but I don't really take note of verbally crass people, shows no intelligence at all.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 10:39pm On Dec 12, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Your definately on my radar! Thats all i will say for now!
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:41am On Dec 13, 2008
@adam
I replied on the best poster thread, lets just leave it at that.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by olabowale(m): 3:42am On Dec 13, 2008
@Adam Brody: « #11 on: Yesterday at 05:02:33 PM »

@olabowale

But i never commanded anyone on NL to cut off the limbs and feet and cruxify any NL that doesnt share my views!

The "former Terror" in the same way that Pharaoh called himself "lord of egypt/commander of river Nile". Both are delusional liars. Toothless and fake in arrogance and empty personal agandisement. If you command, I hope you are smart enough to know that no one will listen to you. You have zero power. You are arrogantly comparing yourself to Allah Who you will have no defender to protect you from His Power; while you are alive and when you die, in the far future:

if He wills to hurt you, nothing you can do. And no one will help you.
if He wills to favor you, nothing can anyone can do about it.
and when He sends death to claim a soul, no one can delay the decree for a moment longer.

and those Who are and What they are commanded to do by Allah, whosoever disobey will be dealt with in proper Justice; those who obey will receive Mercy, from Him alone. What are you going to do, when you arrogantly lead yourself astray and will definitely be punished for it? have you prepared yourself for the biggest punishment that you can not be able to get used to? Ever?

You just scored a lower point in front of the christians by proving Allah is more of an unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Koran 0 Bible 1

You will find out in the long run who is in authority; Allah or you who needs His Mercy, but arrogant to ask for it?
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by kolaoloye(m): 9:03am On Dec 13, 2008
auwal87:

@ kola oloye
Really you were Muslim before? What was your Muslim name?
Simple : It starts with N, which is my initial and it means light, so you can now guess.

Missy B:

Realy?? shocked shocked

I was there my sister but today i thank GOD for everything am no longer in bondage.
Remember what the bible says "if the son shall set you free,you shall be free indeed" grin

@olabowale,
Pls do me a favour,kindly send me an e-mail. I have some personal questions for you. TANX.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by babs787(m): 1:24pm On Dec 13, 2008
@Kola Oloye

Simple : It starts with N, which is my initial and it means light, so you can now guess.

I got it.

I was there my sister but today i thank GOD for everything am no longer in bondage.
Remember what the bible says "if the son shall set you free,you shall be free indeed" Grin

What set you free? You better dont deceive yourself. I was like before seeing the light. You and I may discuss through mails issues if you care and I bet it with you that, you made a greatest mistake by leaving ISLAM if you were.

I even read your post where you claimed that there is no forgiveness and one of my brothers asked if you ever offended God and He didn't forgive you or you care to tell me how you arrived at that claim.

Maybe if you could hold a conversation with with regards to the two religions, then we use both books as our back iup.

I could remember when you posted some verses you claimed supported Violence and had to explain the verses to you and it seems the 'free salvation' as preached by Pauline doctrine is what attracted you the religion, that once you accept him as this and that, you are saved.

You also have section where you could channel your questions and if you care, I could take u up on your journey to christianity and would realize that there is nothing as sweet as being a Muslim. I was born, bred as a christian before seeing the light.

Decision is yours cheesy
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 6:31pm On Dec 13, 2008
olabowale:

@Adam Brody: « #11 on: Yesterday at 05:02:33 PM »
The "former Terror" in the same way that Pharaoh called himself "lord of egypt/commander of river Nile". Both are delusional liars. Toothless and fake in arrogance and empty personal agandisement. If you command, I hope you are smart enough to know that no one will listen to you. You have zero power. You are arrogantly comparing yourself to Allah Who you will have no defender to protect you from His Power; while you are alive and when you die, in the far future:

and when He sends death to claim a soul, no one can delay the decree for a moment longer.

and those Who are and What they are commanded to do by Allah, whosoever disobey will be dealt with in proper Justice; those who obey will receive Mercy, from Him alone. What are you going to do, when you arrogantly lead yourself astray and will definitely be punished for it? have you prepared yourself for the biggest punishment that you can not be able to get used to? Ever?

You will find out in the long run who is in authority; Allah or you who needs His Mercy, but arrogant to ask for it?

@Olabowale

Before i used to wonder why people like pilgrim and davidylan used to say you are a very daft and imbecilic poster! Maybe because we havent really come across each other post wise to share a banter but after this post, even though i disagree with davidylan and pilgrim, i have to say they have been vindicated.

You state things out of context and you post things that are totally irrelevant to the issue at hand talkless of the long windy crap you spew!

Where in my previous post did i compare my self to your so called allah? If your so blind from myopia, you would have read that i was once a former verbal terror on nairaland! Did i arrogate my self to any god or what?  When did a verbal terror turn into a religious deity?

And you go on to justify the lunacy and idiocy of your allah in this post:

and those Who are and What they are commanded to do by Allah, whosoever disobey will be dealt with in proper Justice; those who obey will receive Mercy, from Him alone

What kind of a sensible and intelligent god will come out to say "if He wills to hurt you, nothing you can do"? only a full blown lunatic worships such a monster and both the worshipper and the monsters are deluded freaks!

I puke on your shitty religion lipsrsealed

For your stupid comments, you just set the koran 3 points aback as the most violent book:

Scores: Bible 0 Koran -4
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by olabowale(m): 7:55pm On Dec 13, 2008
@Adam Brody: For comparison of two consecutive responses to me, are laid out one after the other. Yor erradict thoughts is very apparent in the way you score your points. Your thought is not even consistent.

« #11 on: Yesterday at 05:02:33 PM »
@olabowale

You just scored a lower point in front of the christians by proving Allah is more of an unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Koran 0 Bible 1

and compare it to below on the scoring system; See how inconsistent the great mind is;

@Olabowale

Before i used to wonder why people like pilgrim and davidylan used to say you are a very daft and imbecilic poster! Maybe because we havent really come across each other post wise to share a banter but after this post, even though i disagree with davidylan and pilgrim, i have to say they have been vindicated.

You state things out of context and you post things that are totally irrelevant to the issue at hand talkless of the long windy crap you spew!

Where in my previous post did i compare my self to your so called allah? If your so blind from myopia, you would have read that i was once a former verbal terror on nairaland! Did i arrogate my self to any god or what? When did a verbal terror turn into a religious deity?

And you go on to justify the lunacy and idiocy of your allah in this post:

and those Who are and What they are commanded to do by Allah, whosoever disobey will be dealt with in proper Justice; those who obey will receive Mercy, from Him alone

What kind of a sensible and intelligent god will come out to say "if He wills to hurt you, nothing you can do"? only a full blown lunatic worships such a monster and both the worshipper and the monsters are deluded freaks!

I puke on your shitty religion

For your stupid comments, you just set the koran 3 points aback as the most violent book:

Scores: Bible 0 Koran -4

Is this a mind that is sound? May Allah help you against whatever is controlling you. Amin.

Now as to your arrogance of being a "former Terror". I have used the condition of the arrogant lies of tyrannical pharaoh to illustrate the false complex that you have of your own person. in the same vein that Pharaoh called himself lord of Egypt and controller of nile, both are empty boasts. The same way is your empty boast of "Terror!" By relative comparison, you have displayed Pride and Arrogance!

Pharaoh found out that he was only mouthy, the hard way when ordinary water from the sea in his territory was used to annihilate him. I pray that such delusion that plagued him does not lead you to peril. I hope you will reflect on this statement from me.

Omo boy, don't be puffed up with arrogance. You are only a human being. Yes, once you needed the nourishment from your mother.
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by mazaje(m): 8:51pm On Dec 13, 2008
davidylan:

No he can't be huxley . . . at least huxley had some intelligence with his questions.

Mr intelligent. . .
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by francessby(f): 9:31pm On Dec 13, 2008
You can't compare the two of cos
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by AdamBrody1(m): 9:44pm On Dec 13, 2008
olabowale:

@Adam Brody: For comparison of two consecutive responses to me, are laid out one after the other. Yor erradict thoughts is very apparent in the way you score your points. Your thought is not even consistent.

Is this a mind that is sound? May Allah help you against whatever is controlling you. Amin.

Now as to your arrogance of being a "former Terror". I have used the condition of the arrogant lies of tyrannical pharaoh to illustrate the false complex that you have of your own person. in the same vein that Pharaoh called himself lord of Egypt and controller of nile, both are empty boasts. The same way is your empty boast of "Terror!" By relative comparison, you have displayed Pride and Arrogance!

Pharaoh found out that he was only mouthy, the hard way when ordinary water from the sea in his territory was used to annihilate him. I pray that such delusion that plagued him does not lead you to peril. I hope you will reflect on this statement from me.

Omo boy, don't be puffed up with arrogance. You are only a human being. Yes, once you needed the nourishment from your mother.

undecided O boy!

The koran is taking a serious beating due to this terrorist compounding matters for his Islamic brothers and the koran!, sigh!

Anyway back to the up to the minute scores:

Bible 0 Koran -5!

You really got to help your islamic brothers out because the christians are really pounding you big tyme! grin
Re: Which Is More Violent, The Bible Or The Quran? by bindex(m): 10:06pm On Dec 13, 2008
The old testament is very similar to the koran, The new testament is almost like the haddith but with less violence compared to the haddith.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fake Pastors And Church Business Exposed In Nigeria / Are There Female Angels? / An Eternal Universe : A Proof For God's Existence ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.