Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,863 members, 7,956,263 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:48 AM

Yoruba Dogs & Ijebu Garri - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Yoruba Dogs & Ijebu Garri (2569 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Dogs & Ijebu Garri by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 30, 2014
Dogs are mens best friends, how true? I love pets, especially dogs and I hate to see them mistreated. Is that what is happening to dogs in the locality were I happen to be serving? Are they being mistreated on purpose? If not, why then are they so lean and frail looking? You would actually think its the skeleton of a dog walking when you see one.

I may not have all the answers but one thing I do know for sure is that these dogs are being feed most times (if at all they are even given something to eat by their owners) with food they don't like at all. That food is Ijebu garri in eba form.

The garri is too acidic and when soup is not properly applied to it, these dogs won't it eat it. The few times they are given food, it is the Ijebu garri they are given which they won't eat because more often than not, soup is not properly applied to the eba. The result is that you find dogs like those living Uganda and other war torn countries.

Do we have animal rights activists in Nigeria? They should wake up and do their jobs o.

Re: Yoruba Dogs & Ijebu Garri by Seun(m): 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2014
You can feed the dogs with your spare change. Buy a bag of cheap dry dog food and give it to the owners.

Or offer to buy the dogs from them. The owner of the local dog in your picture probably doesn't need her anymore.

You can keep her as a companion for your other dogs. She probably needs very little dry dog food to survive.
Re: Yoruba Dogs & Ijebu Garri by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 30, 2014
Seun:
You can feed the dogs with your spare change. Buy a bag of cheap dry dog food and give it to the owners.

Or offer to buy the dogs from them. The owner of the local dog in your picture probably doesn't need her anymore.

You can keep her as a companion for your other dogs. She probably needs very little dry dog food to survive.

Honestly I have thought about these things you suggested but:

1. Am serving here (NYSC), this place isn't my home.

2. They would PROBABLY sell the dog food at Ado the state capital, but for here they don't at all.

3. 9 out of every 10 dogs here are just like that one. The remaining 1 is probably pregnant and will return to that skeletal state immediately after delivery.

Nevertheless, I still give the little I have to the dogs when I see them around.
Re: Yoruba Dogs & Ijebu Garri by AfricanApple(f): 2:21pm On Jan 02, 2015
Seun:

oga seen, sorry for derailing this thread
I have been trying to change my display picture but I can't, why is it so?

(1) (Reply)

Bsquaredkennels Latest St Bernard Mating, Watch Out!!! / Proven Rottweiler Stud Available / Belgian Malinois Stud Needed In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.