Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. (1909 Views)

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Crownofwealth(m): 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2014
The Urhobos are people of southern Nigeria , near the northwestern Niger delta. The
Urhobo is the major ethnic group in Delta State. Delta State is one of the 36 states of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria . The Urhobos speak the Urhobo language . A language in the
Niger–Congo group . The Urhobo culture is related to several cultures in the Niger-Delta -
Isoko are related in language and culture, leading to the missionaries erroneously
labelling the Urhobo and Isoko cultural groups as Sobo. This name was strongly rejected
by both tribes. The Urhobo nation is made up of twenty two sub-groups, including Okpe[1]
the largest of all Urhobo sub-groups? (disputable). The Urhobos are noted for having their
own unique style of speaking Nigerian Pidgin English. Since their language is very
demonstrative that translates into their style of speaking English and Pidgin English. As a
result of their unique language style, their names are also unique. An example of a unique
Urhobo name would be the name Onaodowan, belonging to the Onaodowan family from
Warri and the Onomakpome, belonging to the Onomakpome family from Sapele.
The Urhobos live very close to and sometimes on the surface of the Niger river. Thus most
of their histories, mythologies, and philosophies are water-related. Annual fishing
festivals that includes masquerades, fishing, swimming contests, and dancing, are part of
the Urhobo heritage. There is an annual, two-day, Ohworu festival in Evwreni, the southern
part of the Urhobo area when the Ohworhu water spirit and the Eravwe Oganga are
displayed. The king in an Urhobo clan or kingdom is called the Ovie. His wife of the queen
is called Ovieya and his children Ọmọ Ovie (child of the king also known as prince and
princes). Precently, these names are also given to children without royal heritage. A
number of Urhobo cultural divisions, have other titles other than Ovie: the Okpe call their
traditional ruler "Orodje".
Before marriage in Urhobo culture is said to be properly contracted, prayers must be
offered to the ancestors( Erivwin) and God( Oghene). The marriage ritual known as Udi
Arhovwaje takes place in the ancestral home of the bride or a patrilineal relation of the
bride as agreed by the family.
As with most tribes in Nigeria, a certain food is considered to belong to or originate from a
particular tribe, for example, pounded yam and egusi soup from the Igbos, Eba ; and
Ogbono soup (made from Irvingia gabonensis and sometimes referred to as Ogbolo soup
by people of Esan or Etsakor descent). For the Urhobos there are two foods considered
Urhobo in nature. They are: Ukhodo (a yam and unripe plantain dish prepared with either
Beef, Poultry or fish and spiced with lemon grass and potash and "Oghwevwri (emulsified
palm oil soup)" (oghwo) and Starch (usi)(the actual name of this staple is not often used).
The starch is made from cassava plant. It is heated and stirred into a thick mound with
palm oil added to give the starch its unique orange-yellow colour. Oghwevwri is
composed of smoked or dried fish, bush meat, unique spices, potash and oil palm juice.
Other delicacies of the Uhrobo tribe are palm nut oil soup amiedi or banga soup, often
eaten with usi ("starch"wink and or garri. Banga is made from palm kernel. Other culinary
delicacies include Iriboto, Iriberhare, and Okpariku .
Urhobo notable people
Blessing Okagbare , IAAC Silver medalist and Olympic bronze medalist
Michael Ibru, Nigerian businessman[4]
David Ejoor, retired Nigerian army and governor of the now-defunct Mid-Western Region
Felix Ibru , Nigerian architect, senator and former first democratic Governor of Delta State
Stephen Oru, Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Fred Aghogho Brume, senator and industrialist
Richard Mofe Damijo , actor and politician
Ben Okri, poet and novelist
Gamaliel Onosode , Nigerian administrator and politician
Igho Sanomi, Businessman and Group Managing Director/CEO, Taleveras Group
Ovo Charles Majaroh , An Architect and patriotic Uhrobo
Benjamin Okumagba
Daniel Okumagba
Tanure Ojaide , poet and writer
Harris Eghagha, career soldier and diplomat
M. G. Ejaife , Urhobo nationalist, first republic Senator and the first principal of Urhobo
College
Bruce Onobrakpeya , visual artist, sculptor and painter [5][6]
Kefee , gospel singer and composer
Obijeko Uvo Marcos, A Legal practitioner and human right activist.
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Crownofwealth(m): 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2014
URHOBO WADOO
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Mortiple(m): 10:30pm On Dec 30, 2014
Nice article.

However, you failed to mention the trademark of an average Urhobo person which is humour creation. There is never a dull moment with them.

I thought late Sam Loco Efe, Ali Baba, I Go die etc are all your sons?

What about their energy sapping dance steps? Trust me, nobody does it better than the Urhobos.
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Movesz(m): 10:32pm On Dec 30, 2014
If urhobo people are really awesome , then i wanna hook up with a nice chick..

Who is gona be my link tu her?
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by menix(m): 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2014
Ur write up plenty buh I luv dis Urhobo gal buh e b lik say una woman problem nah desperation 2 get married...
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by rawpadgin(m): 11:25pm On Dec 30, 2014
Mortiple:
Nice article.

However, you failed to mention the trademark of an average Urhobo person which is humour creation. There is never a dull moment with them.

I thought late Sam Loco Efe, Ali Baba, I Go die etc are all your sons?

What about their energy sapping dance steps? Trust me, nobody does it better than the Urhobos.
sam loco is an edo man, however i go die, alibaba & i go save are all urhobos
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by rawpadgin(m): 11:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
an urhobo meal was serverd where i work (ijaw community)

Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Crownofwealth(m): 8:31am On Dec 31, 2014
sure.that is starch and banga soup. nice delicacy.
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Crownofwealth(m): 8:32am On Dec 31, 2014
menix:
Ur write up plenty buh I luv dis Urhobo gal buh e b lik say una woman problem nah desperation 2 get married...
they are nt bro.perhaps its the altitude on the few u have come across.
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Crownofwealth(m): 9:13am On Jan 02, 2015
happy new year.... avware ru ukpe kpokpor.
Re: A Thread For The Urhobo People Of Delta State. by Crownofwealth(m): 2:06pm On Jan 08, 2015
Crownofwealth:
happy new year.... avware ru ukpe kpokpor.
mi sia aghware.

(1) (Reply)

Madness As Nigerian Man Buries Mother In Hummer Jeep! (pic) / (igbo Language) Udu / Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.