Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,731 members, 7,824,063 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 (4174 Views)

Rate Buhari's Govt On A Scale Of 1-10 / Buhari’s First Speech After The Military Coup Of 31st December 1983 / IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by idumuose(m): 10:01am On Dec 31, 2014
Major-General Buhari was selected as Head of State to lead the country by middle and high-ranking military officers after a successful military coup d'etat that overthrew civilian President Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983. At the time, Buhari was head of the Third Armored Division of Jos.[10] Buhari was appointed Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, and Tunde Idiagbon was appointed Chief of General Staff (the de facto No. 2 in the administration).

1 Like

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by idumuose(m): 10:05am On Dec 31, 2014
It is an irony that this man who truncated democracy exactly 31 years ago is back benefit from the democracy he so loathed.This is Nigeria where anything goes.

In a sane society,this man would be serving a life jail.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 10:10am On Dec 31, 2014
That man is a Chichidodo,he doesnt like corruption but he benefits from and enjoy the company of corrupt people

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by idumuose(m): 10:10am On Dec 31, 2014
Soldiers maintaining law and order after the ouster of shagari

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by dunkem21(m): 10:11am On Dec 31, 2014
History. We can't go back to those days.

Off to play Lotto with these sure numbers ..

31 12 19 83

4 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by likata: 10:33am On Dec 31, 2014
funny world.i doubt if 70% of poster on NL are up to 31yrs yet comes here to clamour for a man that truncated the democracy your father's fought for.
he ruled your father and you are here begging him to rule you.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Firefire(m): 10:40am On Dec 31, 2014
likata:
funny world.i doubt if 70% of poster on NL are up to 31yrs yet comes here to clamour for a man that truncated the democracy your father's fought for.

Some of them are not born then grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by idumuose(m): 10:49am On Dec 31, 2014
likata:
Even those who were born during that period were too young to know what happened.

I got to know the events that took place during Buhari's regime from my dad.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Eblinksflex(m): 11:57am On Dec 31, 2014
Hmm! This Buhari sha...Ladies and gentle men lets give it up for the man with Goodluck and the government destroyer
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by KwoiZabo(m): 11:59am On Dec 31, 2014
And he wan to be a democratic president. yeye dey smell

8 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by KwoiZabo(m): 12:03pm On Dec 31, 2014
likata:
Jeeez this is uppercut for all APC e-rats. If na me i go waka go plug mango for sambisa. cheesy

berem
PassingShot
NgeneUkwenu
etc
How old are all of you. i was 3 days old then wink he can never rule me. lielie

5 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by 175(m): 12:09pm On Dec 31, 2014
It is an irony that this man who truncated
democracy exactly 31 years ago is back benefit
from the democracy he so loathed.This is Nigeria
where anything goes.
In a sane society,this man would be serving a life
jail. copied!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by 175(m): 12:11pm On Dec 31, 2014
KwoiZabo:
Jeeez this is uppercut for all APC e-rats. If na me i go waka go plug mango for sambisa. cheesy

berem
PassingShot
NgeneUkwenu
etc

They won't dare smell this thread! GEJ or you give BRF your APC Presidential ticket and watch me dump GEJ now nowwww!

4 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by PassingShot(m): 12:24pm On Dec 31, 2014
KwoiZabo:

berem
PassingShot
NgeneUkwenu
etc

If you were 3 days old, then the Nigeria you were born into has not really treated you well.

I was old enough to attest to it that there was jubilation across the land when Buhari was made head of State. The military was really welcomed by Nigerians because we had had enough of the looting and corruption of Shagari's regime. Buhari introduced a lot of stringent measures to put Nigeria back on the right track which many Nigerians didn't really like then. There was a lot of complaints about his style which IBB seized advantage of to overthrow him.

Nigerians jubilated when IBB took power and he was always full of laughter whenever he addressed the nation. Nigerians loved him for this but you know what? It didn't take long before it dawned on us that Buhari was indeed far better than IBB. IBB was the leader who actually institutionalized corruption and stole our wealth on such a scale never seen before. Since IBB's regime, it has actually being getting worse for Nigeria up to this moment.

For how we have seen this journey, it is no surprising that the bulk of Buhari's supporters are those who experienced his regime and are able to objectively compare with those other regimes after his. Only recently are the youths getting the message.

I guess if he is declared winner you will pack out of Nigeria, never to be seen again since you say he can never rule you.

This is an example of what Nigeria was then:

Doyin Okupe, the Presidential trumpet said and I quote: " Voting Buhari/Osinbajo is like taking Nigeria back to the Nigeria of 80s..."

And I ask myself, Who doesn't want the life of Nigeria of 80s?.

In the Nigeria of 1980s, we slept with our two eyes closed and our doors opened without no threat.

In the Nigeria of 80s, people worshipped in the Mosque & Church without the fear of been killed.

In the Nigeria of 80s, our Naira was stronger than the dollar.

In the Nigeria of the 80s, we had good roads, good schools, good hospitals, etc...

If life was so good and sacrosanct in the 1980s, then I want Buhari/Osinbajo to take us memory lanes comes 2015.

How about you

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by PassingShot(m): 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2014
idumuose:
It is an irony that this man who truncated democracy exactly 31 years ago is back benefit from the democracy he so loathed.This is Nigeria where anything goes.

In a sane society,this man would be serving a life jail.

You were either not around or too young to tell any difference between his administration and those after him.

Why has Babangida or AbdulSalami not attempted to contest any election since their time. I know that IBB tried it once but what became of it? He was booed, stoned and threatened because Nigerians know how much damaged he did to this country.

1 Like

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by cyprus000: 12:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
Y is it that APC followers,are avoiding this thread

6 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by saint047(m): 12:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
Buhari had 150 cows in 2004,10years later they are still 150 cows, Cows no dey born abi?

7 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by idumuose(m): 12:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

If you were 3 days old, then the Nigeria you were born into has not really treated you well.

I was old enough to attest to it that there was jubilation across the land when Buhari was made head of State. The military was really welcomed by Nigerians because we had had enough of the looting and corruption of Shagari's regime. Buhari introduced a lot of stringent measures to put Nigeria back on the right track which many Nigerians didn't really like then. There was a lot of complaints about his style which IBB seized advantage of to overthrow him.

Nigerians jubilated when IBB took power and he was always full of laughter whenever he addressed the nation. Nigerians loved him for this but you know what? It didn't take long before it dawned on us that Buhari was indeed far better than IBB. IBB was the leader who actually institutionalized corruption and stole our wealth on such a scale never seen before. Since IBB's regime, it has actually being getting worse for Nigeria up to this moment.

For how we have seen this journey, it is no surprising that the bulk of Buhari's supporters are those who experienced his regime and are able to objectively compare with those other regimes after his. Only recently are the youths getting the message.

I guess if he is declared winner you will pack out of Nigeria, never to be seen again since you say he can never rule you.
Bros,that was the same way Nigerians jubiliated when Buhari's ass was shoved over the fence of dodan barracks by Babangida in the coup detat of 1985.

9 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by KwoiZabo(m): 12:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

If we are to go by what you have said then 2003 was his best chance to win because i was not eligible to vote then, 'cos most of the eligible voters then were the ones you claimed to have jubilated over Buhari's takeover and saw everything, so as the voters gets younger, the slimmer Buhari's chances. i repaet Buhari cannot rule this country again. simple

8 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by PassingShot(m): 12:33pm On Dec 31, 2014
cyprus000:
Y is it that APC followers,are avoiding this thread

I am one. Reply to my posts.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by stebell(m): 12:34pm On Dec 31, 2014
All of yu clamouring for Buhari must be very stu.pid.
Today in history ur Buhari came into power after toppling The Shagari's govt. Now yu guys want me to embrace him cos he is chanting CHANGE abi. Never.

GEJ, 2011-----2019.

6 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by cyprus000: 12:35pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

I am one. Reply to my posts.
baba.i no get power to debate this afternoon,maybe anoda time wey my battry dey full bargrin

4 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by PassingShot(m): 12:39pm On Dec 31, 2014
KwoiZabo:
If we are to go by what you have said then 2003 was his best chance to win because i was not eligible to vote then, 'cos most of the eligible voters then were the ones you claimed to have jubilated over Buhari's takeover and saw everything, so as the voters gets younger, the slimmer Buhari's chances. i repaet Buhari cannot rule this country again. simple

You're wrong again. GEJ had a lot of sympathy working for him plus the fact that the opposition parties were not united. Then, PDP was too big for them to unseat without coming into an alliance. Also, many of the opposition leaders, even though they knew what Buhari was capable of achieving, preferred business as usual because they equally feared the man GMB as they didn't know if they would be ask to account for their wealth.

Now with a better structure in terms of APC and the party controlling 16 states, PDP is in really big trouble. The fact that a lot of youths now have been disappointed by GEJ's mis-rulership has also helped Buhari's cause.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by PassingShot(m): 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2014
stebell:
All of yu clamouring for Buhari must be very stu.pid.
Today in history ur Buhari came into power after toppling The Shagari's govt. Now yu guys want me to embrace him cos he is chanting CHANGE abi. Never.

GEJ, 2011-----2019.

That tells the quality of what you have in your skull.

2 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by stebell(m): 12:44pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

That tells the quality of what you have in your skull.

And yu idioot wat do yu hav in ur dumb skull. Yam head.

4 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Bayswater: 12:44pm On Dec 31, 2014
I remember this day in 1983 as a very sad day. That was the day my father was whisked off by Buhari's political army. I did not get to see him until 18 - 20months later.

Himself and some other cabinet members of the ruling NPN were all picked up from Green Springs Hotel in Ibadan.

The level of indiscriminate arrest and killing carried out by Buhari and his goons at that time is something else. I'm sure Buhari will get his judgement on earth and in heaven.

It is really funny that Buhari now wants to benefit from democracy that he truncated.

He must be high on cocaine!

8 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by superneutral(m): 12:48pm On Dec 31, 2014
Vote change 2015

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by KwoiZabo(m): 12:49pm On Dec 31, 2014
If you
PassingShot:

You're wrong again. GEJ had a lot of sympathy working for him plus the fact that the opposition parties were not united. Then, PDP was too big for them to unseat without coming into an alliance. Also, many of the opposition leaders, even though they knew what Buhari was capable of achieving, preferred business as usual because they equally feared the man GMB as they didn't know if they would be ask to account for their wealth.

Now with a better structure in terms of APC and the party controlling 16 states, PDP is in really big trouble. The fact that a lot of youths now have been disappointed by GEJ's mis-rulership has also helped Buhari's cause.
If you think that people still vote political parties again then you are on a long thing. Political parties only assist you t protect your vote. GEJ will win in all SW states. Secondly Buhari is becoming increasingly unpopular in the North that hitherto gave him block votes the APC is banking on. Thirdly, Tinubu's Influence on ACN (APC) has waned so he lost 2 out of the 3 last elections in the SW even Aregbe won with a slim majority and Osinbalo has no political relevance.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by chidexy(m): 12:49pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

This is an example of what Nigeria was then:

Doyin Okupe, the Presidential trumpet said and I quote: " Voting Buhari/Osinbajo is like taking Nigeria back to the Nigeria of 80s..."

And I ask myself, Who doesn't want the life of Nigeria of 80s?.

In the Nigeria of 1980s, we slept with our two eyes closed and our doors opened without no threat.

In the Nigeria of 80s, people worshipped in the Mosque & Church without the fear of been killed.

In the Nigeria of 80s, our Naira was stronger than the dollar.

In the Nigeria of the 80s, we had good roads, good schools, good hospitals, etc...

If life was so good and sacrosanct in the 1980s, then I want Buhari/Osinbajo to take us memory lanes comes 2015.

How about you

Are you referring to North Korea or Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 31, 2014
I wasn't born then
Change is actually all Wε need.

Broom Revolution!
GMB 2015-2019 and if God permits GMB 2019-2023
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by vikyno(m): 12:51pm On Dec 31, 2014
He cannot eat his cake and still have it. The evil than men do live after them.

The guy wept after loosing the last election. I see suicide this time around cos GEJ is not ready to vacate the seat till 2019.

lolz.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Nigeria Aquire Ex Russian Tin Shield Air Defence Radar system? / Read What Happened That Made Dakuku Peterside Escape Assasination Attempt(pics / Police Laud Ugwuanyi On Crime Drop In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.