Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,494 members, 7,843,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys (1263 Views)

Nigerian Landlord Found Prepaid Meters In A Village in Ghana (Video) / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Which One Of These Apartments Gets Rented Out The Quickest? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys by Deolaw: 2:07pm On Jan 02, 2015
Hey guys. My dad (landlord) is quite inexperienced in renting out apartments. We have just gotten a new tenant to one of our flats. My dad gave them a key per door to the apartment but the tenant wants all claiming he doesn't want future problem whereby my dad could be a suspect in issues like robbery. He decided to hand over all four duplicates per door to him.
I am against it and I have convinced him to keep one each. Is it right?

Please I need a quick response as the tenant is coming back soon to retrieve the keys.
Thanks in advance...
Re: Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys by ekkywolex(m): 2:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
Give him all the keys. For integrity, transparency in cases of theft, fire , adultery,,loss of life etc pls release the keys. He has paid for his privacy until his tenancy expires. you can always change locks if the tenants misplaces the keys.
Re: Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys by Deolaw: 2:23pm On Jan 02, 2015
ekkywolex:
Give him all the keys. For integrity, transparency in cases of theft, fire , adultery,,loss of life etc pls release the keys. He has paid for his privacy until his tenancy expires. you can always change locks if the tenants misplaces the keys.

Thanks. Each door has 4 duplicates. 3 keys for him should not be bad. He is renting it not buying. Well, I may tell him to replace the removed one back.
Re: Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys by aadetoyin(f): 6:18pm On Jan 02, 2015
There is nothing wrong if ur dad has one of the keys to the apartment. I have keys to my tenants apartment not cos I want to invade their space but because I see it as necessary.
Re: Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys by bebe2(f): 9:35pm On Jan 02, 2015
why does your dad need key to the apartment?
does he want to enter the flat without the tenants consent?

is he ready to defend himself incase of loss of property or loss of life??

if he can answer yes, then he shud keep a key.
Re: Should A Landlord Keep A Rented Out House Keys by Nobody: 12:31am On Jan 03, 2015
What is in the agreement?

You can keep copies of keys to your rentals if you need to enter to make emergency repairs etc but the tenant must sign to that effect so that there's no surprises.

(1) (Reply)

Self Contained Available For Rent 4th Round Abt Lekki / WE Rent Out Ladders And Scalfold For Bulding Construction @ Afforddable Prices. / 35 Bedrooms Hotel Overlooking River Niger In Asaba, on1acre + CofO, N150m pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.