Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,195 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets (4346 Views)

Revealed: Practices In Nigerian Banks That Will Shock You / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Nigerian Capital Market Institute(ncmi),wuse Ii? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets by chikscfa2: 1:43am On Dec 15, 2008
Hello my fellow smart Africans. I joined this site a while ago but been so busy haven't had time to put many posts.

Anyway I was wondering, given this serious global economic downturn what are the working conditions (basic salary, bonus, financial instruments, scope etc) and opportunities in Nigeria at the moment.
I would like to relocate back to Nigeria in sept 2009 to see if i can add value to the economy but also have a decent standard of living.

Abit about myself; I have lived in London for almost 10years now. I have been educated and worked here since I was 16.
I have BSc in accounting & finance, Msc In Financial Analysis & Fund management. I am also a CFA level 3 candidate ( passed CFA level 2 this summer).
I have 2 years work experience working as an associate in an investment bank (DCF, LBO analysis, origination, financial modelling,etc).
I recently also worked another 2 years as a risk analyst in a Derivatives advisory firm in the city.

Now, my question to you guys is "what is the best way for someone in my position to go about finding similar jobs in Nigeria?". I have tried the banking websites like UBA, Zenith etc but they just instruct you to upload your CV and no replies (obviously I don't really have any strong connections either as I have been away for so long). Besides the roles are all entry level roles which I have already done here in UK.
Could someone please recommend decent firms ( asset management, private equity, corporate finance firms etc) that I could apply to or at least decent websites I could use to find them?
I would also like to know what the basic salary and bonus for some in position could be potentially.

I haven't set foot in Nigeria in almost 6 years and hence have not done NYSC. Would potential employers be willing to let me do my youth service with them rather doing it first then getting a job. I am planning on visiting Nigeria for afew weeks in easter though to see what I can find.

I would very much welcome comments from fellow professionals working in Nigeria on conditions I would face working Nigeria and how to go about finding the right opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets by chikscfa2: 5:53pm On Dec 15, 2008
please help if you have an idea of what I am talking about.
Re: Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets by toptop: 5:52pm On Dec 19, 2008
with all ur qualifications and experiences, wat do u want to come and do in nigeria. bros things are rough here. u beta stay where u are till the coast is clear here. all d best
Re: Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets by Didier1: 1:51pm On May 01, 2009
Hi,

i suggest you register and attend the upcoming careers in africa event in London, taking place sometime in may, 2009.
most of the Nigerian banks show up for recruiting, that way you get the opportunity to have a chat face to face.

visit the website below and apply as it is invitation only.

www.careersinafrica.com

all the best mate, will be there meself.

1 Like

Re: Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets by Ibrahym(m): 11:08pm On May 18, 2009
Hi Didier,

Are you attending the Careers in Africa event in London? Do you have any information on the event location. I'll be glad if you can provide this information.

I applied but have not yet got any invite. I'm planning to gate chash it as I'm desperate!

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets by afolayangs(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2009
Hi all,

Have got invite from MTN Nigeria. I don't no the positn they ll be interviewing for. Kindly Help with any info that could be useful
Re: Current Working Conditions & Opportunities In Nigerian Capital Markets by Mashkov: 3:36pm On May 26, 2009
@chicks-cfa,

Just seeing this post now and I really don't know if my response will be kind of belated. Well, if your situattion is still as it was when you made the post, this is my advise,

Don't go to bank's career website as they are all not functional. Instead, get the email address of key top management staff and email you CV to them with a measaage commiunicating your intentions and desires. That works as I have done it before.

BGL, Oceanic Capitals, Zenith Capitals, PHB Capitals etc are among the notable ones around that surely pays good.

Ciao!

(1) (Reply)

Nipr / Beec Exam Training In Surulere / Nominations Open For The Maltina Teacher Of The Year Awards 2017 / Understanding The Job Title: Vice, Deputy And Assistant (XYZ)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.