Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

My Break Light Is Permanently ON. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Break Light Is Permanently ON. (935 Views)

Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On / Knowing The Meaning Of The Colour Of Your Dashboard Warning Light Is A Lifesaver / Break Light On Dash Board, Break Not Catching As Expected And Air Sound 4m Pedal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Break Light Is Permanently ON. by Digriz(m): 11:03am On Jan 06, 2015
The first day it happened at a traffic jam as my gear lever was on neutral,when the movement started i tried selecting to "Drive" but it got stuck on that neutral.i pushed it aside to make way for other vehicle.
I called a mechanic who helped fixed it through touching something behind the break pedal and when i reached my destination,after putting off the engine,i noticed that the break light is ON parmanently.I hv scanned it now and this the (code 00293 (F125) Sporadic- undefined switch condition.).mechanics said that i should change the switch but am not having any problem with the gear selection at all only this break light issue.
vehicle name:VW Golf mk3
Trans:Auto
Engine size:2.0
year:1996

Re: My Break Light Is Permanently ON. by fanex: 2:01pm On Jan 06, 2015
i swear its the gods from your village that are keeping it on. wake in the middle of the night and i swear you will find it on.
Re: My Break Light Is Permanently ON. by sultaan(m): 2:58pm On Jan 06, 2015
Google VW Golf mk3 brake switch find picture of the brake light switch behind the brake pedal and see if it looks like it should.

Right now you should be able to shift into any hear without pressing the brake if that is the case it I'd very dangerous because you can accidentally shift into reverse while driving at 60mph.

1 Like

Re: My Break Light Is Permanently ON. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 06, 2015
I think your mechanic is right. You might have to replace that switch. It has nothing to do with gear selection if by that you mean 'shifting'.
It basically controls your brake lights and gear selector lever to restrict accidentally engaging the gear in drive or reverse without the car being completely stopped.

1 Like

Re: My Break Light Is Permanently ON. by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 07, 2015
Yes, Sultaan and Orex are right. When your brake light switch goes bad you'll have a shift lock. It's a safety device, which the mechanic has apparently bypassed. And it's dangerous. Get the switch replaced.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Audi TT Roadster Review / Help! Frequent Stop Issues / Your Experience While Learning How To Drive A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.