Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise (32375 Views)

Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking / Everything In My Account: Hilarious Bank Teller / Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by faqir(m): 7:06am On Jan 07, 2015
Offcourse u know wat to do. Return it and be given MFR by d presidency
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 7:06am On Jan 07, 2015
Return it.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by cynhamscakes(f): 7:07am On Jan 07, 2015
Report to customer care officers in your bank.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 07, 2015
Return it... Go to the bank concerned and return it...Karma fears no one!
As you want others to do unto you, so do unto them.wink
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by tellwisdom: 7:08am On Jan 07, 2015
Please send it to me make i take drink beer ....Thank you sad
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Legendoscar2: 7:09am On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you

You clearly missed his point by not reading carefully what He said......and this is very typical of SOME of us Nigerians

7 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by coolshegs10(m): 7:09am On Jan 07, 2015
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by ibzane4nafs(m): 7:10am On Jan 07, 2015
Dsame thing hapen to me yesterday. Assuming there are plenty customer it would have been a different story?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

I will go straight to the point.
Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you
...though the money is a peanut,you should return the money to FIRST BANK;and not to the account you're instructed to return it to.report the matter to First Bank for the deduction.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by funkiebully: 7:11am On Jan 07, 2015
Jenams:
shut up! I'm a banker, he cud be picked up by efcc if he is nt careful. @op, report the issue to any FBN branch close to u. Tnx

U are a banker? Or bank staff?

SMH.

Banker indeed
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Melahou(m): 7:12am On Jan 07, 2015
It's very possible to transfer money wrongly to your account tru online or ATM deposit.
In anyway it's better you return it.
You are bigger than 10k
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by geelord(m): 7:12am On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you

Oh boy....ur eyes dey shook oo... wht if it was a huge sum of money?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by KingBish(f): 7:13am On Jan 07, 2015
Jenams:
shut up! I'm a banker, he cud be picked up by efcc if he is nt careful. @op, report the issue to any FBN branch close to u. Tnx

I've never witnessed a banker asking someone to shut up. They calmly explain their points to people in the most humbling manner feasible.
Are you a sacked frustrated banker?

4 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by dacybersaint(m): 7:13am On Jan 07, 2015
Comment By http://www
naijabaze.net nd http://www.naijawebbers.tk

abeg nah ur luck joor
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by kunlenkirol(m): 7:15am On Jan 07, 2015
snowdrops:
10k!!!! This is not worth creating a topic for now, haba
NawA to you and nawa to some people who think 10k is nothing. Even if it is 1naira. My dear, I don't think there is anything fishy, to be on a safe side, just go to your bank and tell them what happened. Anything can happen these days. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Jarus(m): 7:15am On Jan 07, 2015
It may not be a scam. It's a possible error.

My colleague in Treasury in my former company once did same mistake. This one was even 5m or so.

He sent transfer instruction to bank and mixed up a digit in the account number.

The bank officer also did not check to compare the account name on the instruction with the account number, which was different. He must have been negligent because it's so routine (company pays tens of vendors almost everyday).

He effected the transfer.

It would have been easier if it was to same bank (bank will just debit that wrong account back) but it was, like the case of the op, to a third party bank which they had no control over.

They contacted the guy's bank, and they said they cannot touch an account without the owner's instruction. The best they did was to get them the owner's phone number, who they called and explained to.

The owner then transferred the money back to the company's supplied account. The company later issued a fresh instruction to transfer to the right supplier's account.

I don't know whether the bank sanctioned their officer for the error of not checking account names.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Lastdon02(m): 7:15am On Jan 07, 2015
snowdrops:
10k!!!! This is not worth creating a topic for now, haba
no wonder .. People like u are the ones giving us bad names mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Jchi9876: 7:18am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
Whether it is fraud or mistake, I already made up my mind to report the case to my bank just in case. So this morning I am going to my first bank branch to report the case and see what they say.

Fact is, i opened this first bank account over 10 years ago, i was in Lagos to pay visa fees and needed to withdraw money from my account, I went to a first bank branch in Lagos but they told me i cannot withdraw money unless from my branch, when i returned to port Harcourt i removed every money in that account because i was angry. Since then I never used the account again. It was some few months back i reactivated the account bc i went to first bank to transfer money to my cousin and noticed some huge changes. The same branch where i opened this account is now bigger, with so many tellers and new facilities and very very less crowd. About ten years ago when i used to operate that account we used to queue for several hours before we could deposit or withdraw money, it was the changes i saw in first bank few months ago that[b] motivated me to reactivate the account with 50,000 naira. [/b]I never withdraw any penny since then. I am surprised how this caller got my number and my last name.

I am going to report to my bank and will update the house.

You didn't reactivate with N5,000,000.00
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Hipsymoi: 7:19am On Jan 07, 2015
Don't do anything just leave the money there, thesame person that credited your account with the cash will remove it. It happend to my niece too sometime ago, hers was credited with #150, 000 and it was later removed. Na some bankers work be dat na thief some o them be.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Winneygirl(f): 7:22am On Jan 07, 2015
If it is a wrong posting, they should effect a reversal.
U dont have to do anythng manually.
Be careful.
Review Ur bank statement and ascertain if truely the money was transferred to Ur acct and by whom.
If details are verified, it can be reversed within a few minutes.
Dont transfer any money to Union bank o.!!! This aspect is fraudulent!!

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Lexusgs430: 7:22am On Jan 07, 2015
Wait for the bank to get in touch with you directly or let them reverse the transfer.
NB: Don't spend it, or you will have to refund.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by makazona(m): 7:25am On Jan 07, 2015
vicadex07:

I think that amount is too small to be an insider scam. Go ahead and send it to the original beneficiary

what if he spread d money to many customers.like 20 customers x 10000=200000 abi?

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by bamdexfarms(m): 7:28am On Jan 07, 2015
eagleeye44:
Some people here are just yarning off point undecided This cannot be wrong posting, the account numbers for union bank and firstbank are totally different, no teller in his right senses can make such error, this is purely fraud the person is trying to use you as his ATM. My suggestion, go to any first bank branch close to you and explain to the customer service officer.

Be wise. grin

That's true. I was once a teller with access bank. You can never transfer cash to another bank's account number except via NEFT. My advice is for you to walk into any first bank branch and approach the Customer service officers. Never withdraw any cash and send to another bank account else you might be an accomplice to crime if the money/account is used for fraud or to Sponsor terrorism and kidnapping. If trully the money was credited to your account wrongfully, there is a process called REVERSAL in tellering. This, the bank will reverse the transaction and the money will be debited from your account without u actually withdrawing it yourself. Also note, if the caller's claim is true, the teller will be at a SHORTAGE and he/she will be Required to pay from his Pocket pending when the money is reversed. So my friend, my advice is for you to follow this issue up promptly. You will be clearing yourself from anything that might implicate you, and your integrity will be on record. Who knows when your INTEGRITY will speak for you.

PEACE

5 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by nicecash: 7:28am On Jan 07, 2015
Dnt return the money. Bank will not contact you when a wrong posting occured on your line. They go straight to debit the account. This is a scam and foul play.

Why were you told to return it to union bank? is union and first bank the same? moreover the acct name dnt look any similar.

Dnt return it unless 1st bank contacts you officially. like i said, they dnt need to tell you before they re-post the money.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by ferhyntorlah(f): 7:29am On Jan 07, 2015
Genius100:
Obviously a scam. Someone is trying to use your account to steal. You better report to the appropriate authorities at your bank..

The Genius100, thank you so much. Your comment gave me a light bulb moment immediately.

I once read on a blog about how a man was swindled of his money by a FAKE ALERT on his phone.

He met a man who told him he needed to transfer certain amount to his account bla bla bla. I can't remember the excuse the fraudster gave but the man agreed as he thought he was being helpful.

The said man received a credit alert the money had been deposited into his account. Later, the fraudster called him to withdraw the money and pay into his own(fraudster) account, which the man did.

The man got a debit alert and discovered his balance had reduced. He went to his bank to make enquiry and he was informed the initial "credit alert" he received was FAKE FAKE FAKE.

In short, this man gave his money to the fraudster. If he had checked his balance and account history before withdrawing the money, he would have known it was a SCAM.

Dear poster, check your account history to be OVER sure that #10,000 was actually paid into your account or else, you will use your own hand give SCAMMER free money this new year.

If indeed, the amount was deposited, inform your bank and let them sort it out. Don't let someone get you into something you know nothing about.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by spanzed(m): 7:32am On Jan 07, 2015
Do the right thing OP.....Return the money don't worry nothing would happen to you by Godsgrace...
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by tosbobby(m): 7:32am On Jan 07, 2015
Party To A Frud!
If the fund was wrongly transfered to your account, you don't need to tuch it since you know you are not expecting the value.
If you withdraw the fund and pay it into a diamond bank account it means you just aided a frud.
You can visit the nearest firstbank branch for reason and clarification or email: firstcontact@firstbanknigeria.com
The bank has your data in their database, if you do anything funny, they will continue hunting you without your conscent and don't expect them to be rational when they finally find you.
The value may be minimal but do not be a party to a frud.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by AmaechiLinus(m): 7:33am On Jan 07, 2015
The money is not big return it
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by africanqueen111(f): 7:33am On Jan 07, 2015
Enough advice already, a word is enough for d wise. So I hav notin new to add
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 07, 2015
KingBish:

I've never witnessed a banker asking someone to shut up. They calmly explain their points to people in the most humbling manner feasible.
Are you a sacked frustrated banker?
calmly and humbly shut up ma.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Pius007: 7:35am On Jan 07, 2015
If u have confirmed the money hit ur account pay the money asap and save urself some stress.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by juwoonn(m): 7:36am On Jan 07, 2015
From experience transfers from ATM doesn't display names...it could have been wrongly transferd to ur account from an ATM or a mobile platform that doesn't display account names. Your caller might not be a scammer.

Just contact your banker.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Win BiG on CARDS/CORNERS / Lagos Shuts Mandilas Market / Beneficiaries Of CBN's AGSMEIS Loan Share Their Testimony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.