Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,783 members, 7,820,746 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution (3610 Views)

‘Blame 1999 Constitution For Lack Of Savings, Not Past Regimes’ – Akinyemi / Senate Moves To Amend 1999 Constitution With 13 Bills.. / Federal Executive Bodies Listed In The 1999 Constitution Of The Federal Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 07, 2015
This sections talks about the qualification and disqualification of presidential candidate for election.

my question is in view of some opinion saying that he is not obliged by law to show his certificate.

Qualification

sec 131 (d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

Disqualification:

137 1(j) "he has presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission".

Questions:
1, which of the school certificate is the constitution referring to IN SEC 131
2, what is the equivalence of the above stated certificate
3, if he is not obliged to present his certificate as am reading on here, why is sec 137 (1d) in the constitution
4, did he get into the army through quota system AND
6, US war college on personal recognition or he went with a waiver letter

pls pardon my choice of words

6 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 07, 2015
Regardless What your assertions are, he is qualified to contest as a presidential candidate.

The constitution says that you are qualify to contest as a presidential candidate as long as you have School leaving certificate or *equivalent*.

It is on record that he attended couple of military colleges in UK and US and he must have gained some military certificates
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by dein77(m): 11:51am On Jan 07, 2015
Ambiguity.
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Dbboy(m): 11:57am On Jan 07, 2015
Your question should be what is the approved known equivalent of school certificate in Nigeria if not your waec and Neco and its equivilent in other climes of the world like SSCE equivilent in the USA,Canada Russia etc that's the meaning of its equivilent OP so stop displaying your ignorance.
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2015
[b]Another foolish post from a lunatic.
Where in these sections did it specifically states that it's certificates is for public consumption?
Why not present the electoral law as regards what it said and what Buhari has done?
He presented an affidavit and stated thus.....

"Buhari had said in an affidavit he deposed to at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory on November 24, 2014 and received by Independent National Electoral Commission on December 18, 2014, that all his certificates were with the Secretary, Military Board.

“I am the above-named person and deponent to this affidavit therein.

“All my academic qualifications, documents as filled in my presidential form, President APC/001/2015, are currently with the Secretary, Military Board as of the time of presenting this affidavit. The affidavit is made in good faith and for record purpose,” Buhari stated.

Inec received it and had no issues with it.
The NA that was referenced in the affidavit have no objection. Yet those that think are wiser than these lot are talking rubbish.
Buhari isn't bound by law to publish his certificates and nothing in the sections u presented suggested such.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by meracool(m): 12:11pm On Jan 07, 2015
There Won't be Any Disqualification.
Maybe the OP needs to read the Constitution under the Microscope..

Change is Coming .!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 07, 2015
deemdeem:
[b]Another foolish post from a lunatic.
Where in these sections did it specifically states that it's certificates is for public consumption?
Why not present the electoral law as regards what it said and what Buhari has done?
He presented an affidavit and stated thus.....

"Buhari had said in an affidavit he deposed to at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory on November 24, 2014 and received by Independent National Electoral Commission on December 18, 2014, that all his certificates were with the Secretary, Military Board.

“I am the above-named person and deponent to this affidavit therein.

“All my academic qualifications, documents as filled in my presidential form, President APC/001/2015, are currently with the Secretary, Military Board as of the time of presenting this affidavit. The affidavit is made in good faith and for record purpose,” Buhari stated.

Inec received it and had no issues with it.
The NA that was referenced in the affidavit have no objection. Yet those that think are wiser than these lot are talking rubbish.
Buhari isn't bound by law to publish his certificates and nothing in the sections u presented suggested such.[/b]

you are like a child with poor upbringing who can not make a comment without using abusive words , its truly not his fault but those of his parents and guardians who bullied him while growing up so he is used to bullying and abusing others believing its normal. you will be banned again today

8 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 07, 2015
FolarinLondon:
Regardless What your assertions are, he is qualified to contest as a presidential candidate.

The constitution says that you are qualify to contest as a presidential candidate as long as you have School leaving certificate or *equivalent*.

It is on record that he attended couple of military colleges in UK and US and he must have gained some military certificates

we have the first school leaving certificate (fslc) and the senior secondary certificate (ssce), which of them is the law referencing

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by LRNZH(m): 12:28pm On Jan 07, 2015
OP your point abi na question is ambigous.
Try again.

GMB 2015 on Course

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by obi4eze(m): 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2015
Does Buhari having/not having his certficates prevent Jonathan from performing well? Or does it stop him from making his usual clueless statements?

Why concentrate on deceitful propaganda rather than issue-based politics?

After all the Otuoke-born PhD holder is one of the most educated presidents we have had yet there is nothing to show for it.

Buhari has fulfilled the requirements of the courts and if they find him ineligible they will disqualify him.

But why did this propaganda about his certificates just come up? What happened during the past elections in which he contested?

All I know is that...

#changeisimminent
#BuhariOsinbajo

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by nduchucks: 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
aguiyi:
This sections talks about the qualification and disqualification of presidential candidate for election.

my question is in view of some opinion saying that he is not obliged by law to show his certificate.

Qualification

sec 131 (d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

According to the wisdom of the drafters of the constitution, even a kindergarten school certificate will do. sebi we have GEJ. mumu

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by hyfr(m): 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
People used to say CHILDREN ARE THE LEADERS OF TOMORROW. We are meant to be leaders not near to death people like buhari, nigerians be wise for a minute

4 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
nduchucks:

According to the wisdom of the drafters of the constitution, even a kindergarten school certificate will do. sebi we have GEJ. mumu

after the years you have spent on nairaland, you still have not learnt how to address issues without using insulting words.

4 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by azzima(m): 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2015
hyfr:
People used to say CHILDREN ARE THE LEADERS OF TOMORROW. We are meant to be leaders not near to death people like buhari, nigerians be wise for a minute
what does age have to do with governance?. We have one the youngest nigerian predidents in power now, how has he performed?abysmally!!!! I doubt if you guys have brains.
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by hyfr(m): 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2015
azzima:
what does age have to do with governance?. We have one the youngest nigerian predidents in power now, how has he performed?abysmally!!!! I doubt if you guys have brains.
Your eye has been clouded with evil to see what he has done. I pray your eyes open someday and it might not be too late by then, amen

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2015
aguiyi:

you are like a child with poor upbringing who can not make a comment without using abusive words , its truly not his fault but those of his parents and guardians who bullied him while growing up so he is used to bullying and abusing others believing its normal. you will be banned again today

Goon, i know ur pathetic kind and i don't go soft on ur kind. Ur parents seems to be foolish also to bring someone like ur kind who enjoys spinning the truth all for their selfish interest.
Anyway, face ur pathetic topic, it's already dead on arrival.
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Donmarrius: 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2015
FolarinLondon:

How come your are this mentally petty?.

It's obvious you av' not been following the trend of events in these past weeks,from the highlighted.

If he has certificate or its equivalence as the constitution demands,let him present it to INEC, because he lied in his affidative that his certificate is with the Army,but Army said that they only have his 'credentials',that they don't keep the original certificate of any of their officers..
What it means is that,Buhari doesn't av' Certificate at the first instance,and hence,what he submitted to the Army during intake,was a forged photocopy of a non-existing certificate,and when he got accepted without much scrutiny,because he must av' been recommended by a Northern "bigman" based on qouta system,then he started building on that.
Thats why he is mentioning to us schools and programmes he attended,but the constitution isn't interested on those ones,but the the basic ,which is school cert.

5 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by dridowu: 1:18pm On Jan 07, 2015
Year book or No year book, certificate or no certificate, constitution or no constitution i will vote Buhari as my next president because INEC has said that they CANNOT disqualify buhari . It is only a court that can disqualify him, for those of you that want Buhari to be disqualify, then take the next available bus to the high court to file a case against him .

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 07, 2015
deemdeem:

Goon, i know ur pathetic kind and i don't go soft on ur kind. Ur parents seems to be foolish also to bring someone like ur kind who enjoys spinning the truth all for their selfish interest.
Anyway, face ur pathetic topic, it's already dead on arrival.

you have been inconsequential since time immemorial and as a result of that,you are forcing your ideas on others.

That is the main reason you always bold your write ups so that others will be forced to look through them due to their loud appearance to the eyes.

that's is an obvious trait of a person who was denied freedom of expression while growing up now he is making/taking it by force grin grin grin grin, it is not the kingdom of God grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 07, 2015
Dbboy:
Your question should be what is the approved known equivalent of school certificate in Nigeria if not your waec and Neco and its equivilent in other climes of the world like SSCE equivilent in the USA,Canada Russia etc that's the meaning of its equivilent OP so stop displaying your ignorance.

U are the ignorant one here, the op only asked a question and seeks to know If the constitution was refering to the first schl. leaving certificate or the sec.schl.leaving cert. and all u need to do is provide answers and If u have no clue or answers to his questions then STFU.

How do u know its equivalent when the law is silent on which of the certificates it was referring to?

sec 131 (d) needs judicial interpretation to clear some misconceptions.

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2015
dridowu:
Year book or No year book, certificate or no certificate, constitution or no constitution i will vote Buhari as my next president because INEC has said that they CANNOT disqualify buhari . It is only a court that can disqualify him, for those of you that want Buhari to be disqualify, then take the next available bus to the high court to file a case against him .

this is information gathering, you may be surprised how this issue will end. i have also written to the institution like barcanista (one of the few reasonable Apc supporters on nairaland) , i will not tell you if am heading to court or not but the media will update you on whether anyone went to court or not.

just air your opinion and let the information gathering and opinion seeking continue.

i know there are lawyers and other professionals on this forum, your vote is just one like mine but if i have a way of making it 1000 by getting others to see reasons with me and surport my candidate, why not. not like i so much like GEJ but am of the opinion that he is the lesser evil for now

6 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Donmarrius: 1:31pm On Jan 07, 2015
dridowu:
wasted voted dictated.
My tissue paper got finished,am actually sorting your kind of vote,for my anus .
**cheers**

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2015
[s][s]
aguiyi:

you have been inconsequential since time immemorial and as a result of that,you are forcing your ideas on others.

That is the main reason you always bold your write ups so that others will be forced to look through them due to their loud appearance to the eyes.

that's is an obvious trait of a person who was denied freedom of expression while growing up now he is making/taking it by force grin grin grin grin, it is not the kingdom of God grin grin grin grin grin
[/s][/s]

Ok goon, where in ur link u gave did the law of the land states that the Generals certificate is for public consumption? grin
Don't u think both inec and even NA knows far more than u which explains why they Av no objections to his affidavit? grin
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Donmarrius: 1:37pm On Jan 07, 2015
aguiyi:

This is an 'acute' upper-cut to that retardemdem.

4 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Donmarrius: 1:38pm On Jan 07, 2015
aguiyi:

This is an 'acute' upper-cut to that retardemdem..

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jan 07, 2015
aguiyi:

we have the first school leaving certificate (fslc) and the senior secondary certificate (ssce), which of them is the law referencing

This is exactly what the OP seeks to know and the law wasn't explicit on sec 131 (d) so there is a need for a judicial interpretation.
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 07, 2015
deemdeem:
[s][/s]

Ok goon, where in ur link u gave did the law of the land states that the Generals certificate is for public consumption? grin
Don't u think both inec and even NA knows far more than u which explains why they Av no objections to his affidavit? grin

that is the power of freedom of information.

Nigerians now have a right to know as far as the medical condition or whatsoever they wish to know about a public officer and the office, guess you should commend GEJ for signing that act into law cos if it was in 1983, you will not even be thinking what you like let alone talking or typing it.

the 2 bodies mentioned above have no powers to disqualify him for now but the court can. somebody need to be convinced about his case before going to court, is it a crime to seek public opinion on a matter of national interest.

if you so much like buhari, can you show us your donation in support of his family poverty alleviation move. how many fliers have you distributed to youths and schools in your neighborhood to enlighten about your messiah , you guys will be surprised by what awaits you in few days and how it will hit you from left , right and centre .

Buhari will not only be disqualised for lack of educational qualification but also by indictment of the panel of enquiry set up by OBJ on PTF.

the courts will be opened few weeks to election,cases will be judged and before appeal is head,state commisioners of police will be redeployed, , election result is announced grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

do you play cheers grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jan 07, 2015
@Aguiyi/OP: Let us look Section 131 of the constitution again:
131. A person shall be qualified for election to the office of the President if -

(a) he is a citizen of Nigeria by birth;

(b) he has attained the age of forty years;

(c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party; and

(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

I have some questions to you:
Was Buhari Educated up to Secondary school level or not?
What is the Academic equivalent of NDA qualification?
What is the prerequisite to be admited into NDA?
Did Buhari meet this requirement?
Buhari is also said to have MSC or equivalent degree from the USA War College. Are you in doubt?
If you have legitimate claim, write INEC or proceed to court. However, be aware that no law mandate any aspirant to publicly display their educational qualification

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by nduchucks: 2:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
aguiyi:

after the years you have spent on nairaland, you still have not learnt how to address issues without using insulting words.

One would have thought that by now you people would have developed thick skin. You may need to upgrade your emotional IQ to cope. ndo o. smiley
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
aguiyi:

that is the power of freedom of information.

Nigerians now have a right to know as far as the medical condition or whatsoever they wish to know about a public officer and the office, guess you should commend GEJ for signing that act into law cos if it was in 1983, you will not even be thinking what you like let alone talking or typing it.

the 2 bodies mentioned above have no powers to disqualify him for now but the court can. somebody need to be convinced about his case before going to court, is it a crime to seek public opinion on a matter of national interest.
[s]
if you so much like buhari, can you show us your donation in support of his family poverty alleviation move. how many fliers have you distributed to youths and schools in your neighborhood to enlighten about your messiah , you guys will be surprised by what awaits you in few days and how it will hit you from left , right and centre .[/s]

Buhari will not only be disqualised for lack of educational qualification but also by indictment of the panel of enquiry set up by OBJ on PTF.

the courts will be opened few weeks to election,cases will be judged and before appeal is head,state commisioners of police will be redeployed, , election result is announced grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

do you play cheers grin grin grin grin grin grin

Good. Now u are talking.
Let the headache be on both Buhari and Apc.
Do u think they are stuppid not to have envisaged these things? Anyone that feels aggrieved or wounded by virtue of the fact that buhari's certificate was not revealed to him in his bedroom as against what both the electoral law and constitution says should go to court as soon as it's opened.
So far, buhari has fully complied. If that form wasn't filled, inec wouldn't have accepted him and NA isn't gullible to allow buhari to continue to peddle any lie using their name.
This is politics for u. Sane Nigerians know that the General is well educated and competent to govern.
Gather ur facts and proceed to court and save us ur cries. grin
Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 07, 2015
barcanista:
131. A person shall be qualified for election to the office of the President if -

(c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party; and

(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

Buhari is also said to have MSC or equivalent degree from the USA War College. Are you in doubt?
If you have legitimate claim, write INEC or proceed to court. However, be aware that no law mandate any aspirant to publicly display their educational qualification

if you were in Nigeria is the 80s and 90s, you will agree with me that quota system killed the value of education in most of our institutions including the military.the main reason most of the top military leader, directors and perm sec in federal institutions were filled with persons from northern extraction and those with Muslim names is because they were the major beneficiaries.

somebody somewhere leaked this information that this man may be one of those who rose in public service as a result of man know man (MKM).

Note that People still attach all the certificates they acquired before their MBA or MSc to other documents when required not because people dont know that you must have an o level and a 1st degree before proceeding to obtain an MBA but to prove that they did not subvert those systems .

he should show us something, from any of the bodies you mentions atleast let us see his performance in his education before handing the nations economy to him and his team .

what stops him from getting my vote by showing any

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Pls Interpret Section 137 Sub 1j & 131(d) Of 1999 Constitution by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 07, 2015
barcanista:

No law also mandate any aspirant to publicly declare their assets too but only to the ccb.
Just wanted to add this too for all those that chose to refer to the law only when it serves their own purposes but abhors it when it hurts.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Only A Brainless Person Will Say An Army General Has No WASC Certificate - El-ru / Anambra Governor,first Among Equals,again Attracts $61m Investments In Poultry / ;d Osun State Mock Exam ;d ;d ;d

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.