Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) (1403 Views)

CBN: Anambra Has The Potentials To Be Food-basket Of Nigeria & African Continent / Ijaw Leaders Disagree With Itsekiri Leaders On Dialoge With Nda / Open Letter To World Leaders On Arrest Of Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 9:02pm On Jan 07, 2015
Wow!! good review for GEJ by an American Newspaper ......

The January 5 editorial in the Wall Street Journal titled “#BokoHaramIsWinning” should serve as a wake-up call to the Obama administration. News reports of the ruthless, radical Islamist terrorist group’s takeover of an army base followed by the multi-national anti-Boko Haram force abandoning another base just yesterday is cause for great concern to Nigeria and its neighbors.

The focus of recent reporting has been on the deteriorating relationship between the Obama Administration and Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan. The reporting carries the usual themes of mutual distrust due to Nigerian perceptions of U.S. arrogance and lack of engagement on strategic issues on everything from oil and trade policy to national security issues, such as Boko Haram and China’s activities in the region, to U.S. charges of Nigerian government corruption. While those are valid causes for caution, the only entity that benefits from the lack of engagement cooperation is Boko Haram. With at least 5,000 innocents slaughtered since 2009 and no signs of that onslaught letting up, Boko Haram has brought a level of terror and barbarism to West Africa that is akin to Islamic State in Syria and Iraq (ISIS).

In the Hausa language, Boko Haram means “Western education is forbidden.” The name itself is a clue to its goals and ferocity. But why is Boko Haram focused on Nigeria? Certainly it has to do with the large Muslim population in the country. But it has just as much to do with the policies and actions of the Nigerian government.

President Jonathan is perhaps one of the most Western-oriented leaders on the African continent, intent on westernizing Nigeria through aggressive reforms in education, economic development (job creation and a focus on building sectors outside of the oil industry, such as tech), and women’s rights. There has also been a focus on education, especially in the predominantly Muslim north of the country where more than 1,200 schools and nine universities have opened. And the government has attempted to take on the overhang of corruption with government accountability and transparency policies.

It’s no coincidence that this anti-Western terrorist group has risen in direct parallel to the Nigerian government’s efforts. And it’s also not a surprise — given his seeming lack of interest in foreign policy engagement in general and Africa specifically, especially in countering rising Islamic threats on the continent from Libya to Kenya – that this U.S. president and his State Department have dropped the ball.

But the United States should have an interest in Nigeria if only to help Africa’s largest country — population 170 million — fight the common enemy that is Boko Haram. But there is another geopolitical imperative at stake. China continues to build its foothold in Africa and the Chinese are targeting Nigeria for its oil and other natural resources and strategic western Africa location.

By all accounts, Nigeria’s government is committed to taking on Boko Haram on its own terms, but has been seeking aid for heavy military equipment and weaponry to take the terrorists on. The Obama administration should be providing the kind of support the Nigerians are requesting, if not because of the terrorist threat, then the strategic value of having a strong ally in the region that looks to the West.

http://spectator.org/blog/61405/why-us-stiff-arming-nigeria

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by Kennywills7(m): 9:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
And he is d most criticise president in Africa
make we appreciate dis man for once
Dis kind time for obj tenure pple wen go village nor dey fit come back because fuel go cost so tey pple go sell their tins just to go back to where dem dey stay

See d way rice cheap dis past December!
Hatred and selfishness nor dey allow some pple reason well

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:11pm On Jan 07, 2015
Nigeria defeating Boko Haram today lies on the hands of of some certain region(s) in Nigeria but, I know they won't want to shun terrorism because they vowed 2 mak someone's administration un-governable, soak dogs & baboons in blood. And that they are accomplishing now, but that 1 day Nigeria will b a peaceful country dat is void of terrorism..

Tonda go faya dat animal wey tok sey hin no go drink water drop cup..

1 Like

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by LRNZH(m): 9:13pm On Jan 07, 2015
Western because he abstained at the UN Security Council vote against a Palestine State due to Obama's command.

That was wholly unstrategic. What will Nigeria gain from taking sides with the Americans who deny us weapons to fight Boko Haram?

GEJ did not analyse this before bowing to foreign pressure. Most Western President at the detriment of his people.

GMB 2015. Independent Minded Leadership.

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by Firefire(m): 9:15pm On Jan 07, 2015
GEJ is the best president Nigeria have produced.

1960 - 2019

6 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 9:17pm On Jan 07, 2015
na so oo .................. "A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown " cool cool

Kennywills7:
And he is d most criticise president in Africa

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by SeverusSnape(m): 9:26pm On Jan 07, 2015
Not bad, At least we're hearing something positive about our country

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by dharyour93(m): 9:36pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:
Wow!! good review for GEJ by an American Newspaper ......

The January 5 editorial in the Wall Street Journal titled “#BokoHaramIsWinning” should serve as a wake-up call to the Obama administration. News reports of the ruthless, radical Islamist terrorist group’s takeover of an army base followed by the multi-national anti-Boko Haram force abandoning another base just yesterday is cause for great concern to Nigeria and its neighbors.

The focus of recent reporting has been on the deteriorating relationship between the Obama Administration and Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan. The reporting carries the usual themes of mutual distrust due to Nigerian perceptions of U.S. arrogance and lack of engagement on strategic issues on everything from oil and trade policy to national security issues, such as Boko Haram and China’s activities in the region, to U.S. charges of Nigerian government corruption. While those are valid causes for caution, the only entity that benefits from the lack of engagement cooperation is Boko Haram. With at least 5,000 innocents slaughtered since 2009 and no signs of that onslaught letting up, Boko Haram has brought a level of terror and barbarism to West Africa that is akin to Islamic State in Syria and Iraq (ISIS).

In the Hausa language, Boko Haram means “Western education is forbidden.” The name itself is a clue to its goals and ferocity. But why is Boko Haram focused on Nigeria? Certainly it has to do with the large Muslim population in the country. But it has just as much to do with the policies and actions of the Nigerian government.

President Jonathan is perhaps one of the most Western-oriented leaders on the African continent, intent on westernizing Nigeria through aggressive reforms in education, economic development (job creation and a focus on building sectors outside of the oil industry, such as tech), and women’s rights. There has also been a focus on education, especially in the predominantly Muslim north of the country where more than 1,200 schools and nine universities have opened. And the government has attempted to take on the overhang of corruption with government accountability and transparency policies.

It’s no coincidence that this anti-Western terrorist group has risen in direct parallel to the Nigerian government’s efforts. And it’s also not a surprise — given his seeming lack of interest in foreign policy engagement in general and Africa specifically, especially in countering rising Islamic threats on the continent from Libya to Kenya – that this U.S. president and his State Department have dropped the ball.

But the United States should have an interest in Nigeria if only to help Africa’s largest country — population 170 million — fight the common enemy that is Boko Haram. But there is another geopolitical imperative at stake. China continues to build its foothold in Africa and the Chinese are targeting Nigeria for its oil and other natural resources and strategic western Africa location.

By all accounts, Nigeria’s government is committed to taking on Boko Haram on its own terms, but has been seeking aid for heavy military equipment and weaponry to take the terrorists on. The Obama administration should be providing the kind of support the Nigerians are requesting, if not because of the terrorist threat, then the strategic value of having a strong ally in the region that looks to the West.

http://spectator.org/blog/61405/why-us-stiff-arming-nigeria

I have issues with the part I highlighted. I'm sure the person who wrote this report has been watching just NTA
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by lionness(f): 9:38pm On Jan 07, 2015
He's too Western Minded and he spends the past 6 years making war with America and turning China to his own daddy? Even the fear of America catch GEJ and his family so bad that his wife goes for medical attention in Germany and not the US. Even the Western Power has abandoned this total failure. Someone is telling lies here grin grin grin grin
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 9:39pm On Jan 07, 2015
Please can u highlight what they didnt see by watching only NTA......

dharyour93:

I have issues with the part I highlighted. I'm sure the per s4 who wrote this report has not been to Nigeria or has been watching just NTA
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by dharyour93(m): 9:42pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:

If I may ask, what does the writer mwan by GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY POLICIES?
I'm sure you see that only on NTA
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2015
Maybe u have been reading too much Saharareporter . In that area only GEJ and OBJ tried...Obj created the institutions we have now Fighting corruption......GEJ rely more on prevention of corruption through transparency...

fertilizer distribution
New i payment for civil servant salary, saved billions of Naira
Election rigging reduced
Police Checkpoint bribery reduced

......the list long our Transparency rating improved under GEJ..

If I may ask, what does the writer mwan by GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY POLICIES?
I'm sure you see that only on NTA[/quote]
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by dharyour93(m): 10:22pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:

1. $3million F. Lawan bribery scandal

2. $6.8 billion petrol subsidy scam

3. N60 billion police pension scam

4. Oduah N225 million car scandal

5. N10 billion Allison jet scandal

6. N10 billion laundered by Lamidos

7. Missing $20 billion from Fed account

8. Haliru Mohamed £1million bribe

9. $1.1 billion Malabu bribe scandal

10. $180 million Halliburton scandal

11. $32billion ill-equipping defense

12. $713 billion port authority fraud

13. Immigration death scandal

14. Bart Nnaji NEPA scandal

15. Dame dollar laundering scandal

I just saw this thread on nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/2081512/did-all-these-happen-under#29588146

1 Like

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 10:32pm On Jan 07, 2015
dharyour93:

1. $3million F. Lawan bribery scandal : What has that got to do with GEJ.... is GEJ Lawan??

2. $6.8 billion petrol subsidy scam The Culprits are in court

3. N60 billion police pension scam The Culprits are in Court

4. Oduah N225 million car scandal Any prove she broke the law ?

5. N10 billion Allison jet scandal ??

6. N10 billion laundered by Lamidos Is Lamido GEJ ?

7. Missing $20 billion from Fed account do u have prove

8. Haliru Mohamed £1million bribe Halliburton scandal predate GEJ

9. $1.1 billion Malabu bribe scandal ?

10. $180 million Halliburton scandal same as nr 8

11. $32billion ill-equipping defense ??

12. $713 billion port authority fraud

13. Immigration death scandal Tragedy can happen anywhere in the world .. eg New year stampede in China

14. Bart Nnaji NEPA scandal That is the best energy minister we ever had dont know of any scandal

15. Dame dollar laundering scandal

I just saw this thread on nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/2081512/did-all-these-happen-under#29588146

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by dharyour93(m): 10:37pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:

I rest my case. Your comments proves that you're a GEJist and I don't want to engage in an online battle. wink
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 10:39pm On Jan 07, 2015
Me too undecided undecided ur comment prove u are GMBist
dharyour93:

I rest my case. Your comments proves that you're a GEJist and I don't want to engage in an online battle. wink

1 Like

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by dharyour93(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:
Me too undecided undecided ur comment prove u are GMBist

That's where U got it all wrong. I'm not a GMBist neither am I a GEJist. I'm just interested in what will move Nigeria Forward. I rep Transformation & I rep ProgressForNigeria.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 07, 2015
op you think like a slave. You are actually proud of your president being called the most pro western leader in Africa. Kai. Where does one start in educating someone like you? Tufiakwa. Umu onukwu.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 10:58pm On Jan 07, 2015
Not really if u check the headline most "western-oriented leader", is in the way he is practicing democracy ...we borrowed democracy from them.... grin grin
ROSSIKE:
op you think like a slave. You are actually proud of your president being called the most pro western leader in Africa. Kai.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:
Not really if u check the headline most "western-oriented leader", is in the way he is practicing democracy ...we borrowed democracy from them.... grin grin
Please just shut up. Ignoramus.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 11:02pm On Jan 07, 2015
Why are u abusive....

ROSSIKE:
Please just shut up.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:
Why are abusive....

You have a lot to learn.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by deji68: 11:05pm On Jan 07, 2015
Mr teacher...thanks dont want to learn abusive language, carry your wahala go grin
ROSSIKE:
You have a lot to learn.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
deji68:
Mr teacher...thanks dont want to learn abusive language, carry your wahala go grin
No probs. Enjoy your dumbitude.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by Eziachi: 11:09pm On Jan 07, 2015
Wow western oriented!!,That must worth some Nobel prize for orientation.
While he is busy borrowing billions from the Eastern oriented Chinese.
Re: GEJ Is The Most Western-oriented Leaders On The African Continent ( Spectator) by SleekyGee(m): 11:34pm On Jan 07, 2015
can't u read wat u are writing

asking the U.S for weapons, they don't have ur time and may never in 2015, they are busy dealing with ISIS and u re here begging, we need to be flexible to survive the coming years
and there is notin good about being too western inclined cos it's killing our tourism, we need an innovative president not a copycat

(1) (Reply)

Vhema: My Little Advice Against Feb 14 Election (think About It) / See PDP Advert On Guardian Newspaper [photo] / APC States Being Mobilised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.