Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) (23477 Views)

OAU DSA Suspends All Religious Activities In Halls Of Residence (PICS) / OAU Students Celebrate Their Costume Day In Style. Photos / OAU Student Union Budgets N1.8m For Phone Calls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by aleniboro(m): 3:44pm On Jan 08, 2015
Level of Performance Rating: This is the rating of grades obtained in terms of credit points per load unit. The rating used is as follows for 5 CGPA course unit system (OAU):
Level of Performance Rating (credit points per unit)
•A (70-100%) – 5
•B (60-69%) – 4
•C (50-59%) – 3
•D (45-49%) – 2
•E (40-44%) – 1
•F (0-39%) – 0

◦First Class: 4.50 and above
◦Second Class Upper: 3.50-4.49
◦Second Class Lower: 2.50-3.49
◦Third Class: 1.50-2.49

For 7 CGPA course unit system (UI):
•A (70-100%) – 7
•B (65-69%) – 6
•C (60-64%) – 5
•D (50-54%) – 4
•D (55-59%) – 3
•E (40-44%) – 2
•E (45-49%) – 1
•F (0-39%) – 0

◦First Class: 6.0 and above
◦Second Class Upper: 4.6-5.99
◦Second Class Lower: 2.6-4.59
◦Third Class: 1.6-2.59
◦Pass: <1.6

My Question
For a student Name- Abdul, Hazan Rahaman, will his Class of Grade be affected by the above system giving the same performance? Base on my analysis below, does that mean that it is easier to get first class using 7 course unit system than 5 course unit system giving the same performance? You can make your contribution and correct me where I am wrong.

Abdul, Hazan Rahaman in UI:

Course Unit Grade Points
Eco 101 3 65 18
Eco 102 3 65 18
Eco 103 3 65 18
Eco 104 3 65 18
Eco 105 3 65 18
Eco 106 3 65 18
Eco 107 3 65 18
Eco 108 3 65 18
Total 24 144

Total Number of Units 24
Total Number of Points 144
GPA = 144/24
Class Grade First Class

Abdul, Hazan Rahaman in OAU:

Course Unit Grade Points
Eco 101 3 65 12
Eco 102 3 65 12
Eco 103 3 65 12
Eco 104 3 65 12
Eco 105 3 65 12
Eco 106 3 65 12
Eco 107 3 65 12
Eco 108 3 65 12
Total 24 96

Total Number of Units 24
GPA = 96/24

Class Grade Second Class Upper

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 08, 2015
The two grading methods have their advantages and disadvantages!

2 Likes

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by alentyno: 5:42pm On Jan 08, 2015
Taylor184:
The two grading methods have their advantages and disadvantages!
Maybe. But it is easier to sneek into first class with UI's system

Do your math. a 6.3 gpa = 4.5 while 6.0 gives you something between 4.2 and 4.3

No wonder they had 222 first class graduates last time out undecided

PS: pls seun i think it's high time the poster above me gets a well deserved ban for pooing his advert shii on every thread angry

1 Like

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by Tundeajani(m): 6:15pm On Jan 08, 2015
alentyno:

Maybe. But it is easier to sneek into first class with UI's system

Do your math. a 6.3 gpa = 4.5 while 6.0 gives you something between 4.2 and 4.3

No wonder they had 222 first class graduates last time out undecided

PS: pls seun i think it's high time the poster above me gets a well deserved ban for pooing his advert shii on every thread angry
stop being mischievously jealous of omo ibadans..if you wanna make first class..find correct books and read..stop wasting time on nairaland quarelling about grade points calculation of school..it boils down to the same thing either 7 or 5..

3 Likes

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by alentyno: 6:44pm On Jan 08, 2015
Tundeajani:
stop being mischievously jealous of omo ibadans..if you wanna make first class..find correct books and read..stop wasting time on nairaland quarelling about grade points calculation of school..it boils down to the same thing either 7 or 5..
jealousy? cheesy

don't be mischievously ridiculous undecided

who and who is quarelling undecided

all i see here is simple analysis and if you don't have anything to add to it you simply swerve smiley

4 Likes

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by Tundeajani(m): 6:53pm On Jan 08, 2015
alentyno:

jealousy? cheesy

don't be mischievously ridiculous undecided

who and who is quarelling undecided

all i see here is simple analysis and if you don't have anything to add to it you simply swerve smiley
if not for my calling and annointing, i would have prophesie with authentic audacity that you jump into the nearest rail way track but in the spirit of the new year i urge to go and sin no more..back at the topic...all you need it is to read and forget whether you school in china or pakistan,your first class is guaranteed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by alentyno: 7:29pm On Jan 08, 2015
Tundeajani:
if not for my calling and annointing, i would have prophesie with authentic audacity that you jump into the nearest rail way track but in the spirit of the new year i urge to go and sin no more..back at the topic...all you need it is to read and forget whether you school in china or pakistan,your first class is guaranteed.
alright whatever makes you sleep at night undecided

1 Like

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by ddonolu: 7:31pm On Jan 08, 2015
aleniboro:
Level of Performance Rating: This is the rating of grades obtained in terms of credit points per load unit. The rating used is as follows for 5 CGPA course unit system (OAU):
•A (70-100%) – 5
•B (60-69%) – 4
•C (50-59%) – 3
•D (45-49%) – 2
•E (40-44%) – 1
•F (0-39%) – 0

•A (70-100%) – 7
•B (65-69%) – 6
•C (60-64%) – 5
•D (50-54%) – 4
•D (55-59%) – 3
•E (40-44%) – 2
•E (45-49%) – 1
•F (0-39%) – 0

My Question
For a student Name- Abdul, Hazan Rahaman, will his Class of Grade be affected by the above system giving the same performance? Base on my analysis below, does that mean that it is easier to get first class using 7 course unit system than 5 course unit system giving the same performance? You can make your contribution and correct me where I am wrong.

Abdul, Hazan Rahaman in UI:

Course Unit Grade Points
Eco 101 3 65 18
Eco 102 3 65 18
Eco 103 3 65 18
Eco 104 3 65 18
Eco 105 3 65 18
Eco 106 3 65 18
Eco 107 3 65 18
Eco 108 3 65 18
Total 24 144

Total Number of Units 24
GPA = 144/24
Class Grade First Class

Abdul, Hazan Rahaman in OAU:

Course Unit Grade Points
Eco 101 3 65 12
Eco 102 3 65 12
Eco 103 3 65 12
Eco 104 3 65 12
Eco 105 3 65 12
Eco 106 3 65 12
Eco 107 3 65 12
Eco 108 3 65 12
Total 24 96

Total Number of Units 24
GPA = 144/24

Class Grade Second Class Upper

Level of Performance Rating in FUTA (credit points per unit)
•A (70-100%) – 5
•B (60-69%) – 4
•C (50-59%) – 3
•D (45-49%) – 2
•F (0-45%) – 0

2 Likes

Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by mathefaro(m): 7:48pm On Dec 19, 2016
aleniboro:
•A (70-100%) – 5
•B (60-69%) – 4
•C (50-59%) – 3
•D (45-49%) – 2
•E (40-44%) – 1
•F (0-39%) – 0

•A (70-100%) – 7
•B (65-69%) – 6
•C (60-64%) – 5
•D (50-54%) – 4
•D (55-59%) – 3
•E (40-44%) – 2
•E (45-49%) – 1

•F (0-39%) – 0

There's an error in your grading
Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by lilliesboy(m): 7:48pm On Oct 24, 2019
This BIAS, particularly against postgraduate students coming from OTHER (African) universities and/or NON-Yoruba has been going on for MANY years in the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. They only PRETEND about it. If you ask (postgraduate) students/graduates of the University of Ibadan that came from OTHER universities, many of them will confirm what I am telling you.

One major and popular thing they use in identifying and differentiating THEIR own University of Ibadan alumni/first degree holders from OUTSIDE or NON-University of Ibadan graduates is the MATRICULATION NUMBER: all THEIR Unibadan products carry Matric Numbers that begins with number "1," while OUTSIDERS or non-Unibadan (postgraduate) students carry Matric Numbers that begin with "2". Once lecturers/staff see a student's Matriculation Number that begins with "2," they QUICKLY hold a stupid BIAS against the student and begin to NEGATIVELY judge their intelligence/academic performance based on that.

Records have shown that many Nigerian postgraduate students who came from OTHER universities had OFTEN outshine their so-called ONLY "best/brilliant" University of Ibadan alumni/products academically and otherwise. Thus, many lecturers and non-academic staff feel insulted and threatened like they are not good lecturers since it invariably means so if their students are not better than those coming from other universities or NON-Yoruba ethnic group. To justify this, they OFTEN score non-Unibadan or OUTSIDE students very LOW in exams but give their (dull) students/alumni BETTER (unmerited) grades and advantage. They also complement this injustice and systemic corruption by ALWAYS talking DOWN on non-Unibadan graduates or making a caricature of them in comparison to their own (dull) students in order to DEMORALIZE them (OUTSIDE students/NON-Yoruba) by making them feel TIMID or like they do not know anything and never merited their (first) good degrees. This is clearly a form of PSYCHOLOGICAL warfare and should be punished if Nigeria was an advanced society with a high rule of law.

These systemic corruption and injustice are the MAIN reasons why so MANY (Yoruba) students in this part of the country, most of them DUNES, are awarded Ph.D, made professors, SAN etc., than the rest region of the country. It is because they are in CONTROL of the (educational) system, NOT because they are the most intelligent. I tell you, SO MANY of them with Ph.D. and Professorial degrees/tiles know very little or NOTHING compared to those in the Niger Delta and other areas. I and others who have lived here KNOW what we are talking about. Na DASH dem dey DASH many of dere pipul here wit dos (UNMERITED) degrees and awards.

Imagine "postgraduate" students who cannot speak neither write a simple good sentence; some of them in class even talk in YORUBA when presenting seminar paper since they cannot speak in simple English. Their papers are full of many grammatical blunders and misspellings; I and others even help them to edit their works. Yet, whenever results comes out these set of (Yoruba) students ALWAYS score HIGHER - 60% and above, than many of us who are NON-Yoruba and/or NON-University of Ibadan alumni. So much injustice, corruption and so-called tribalism here. Hypocrisy of the highest order!

I will NEVER relent concerning those poor seven (7) results! Let them do their usual gang up and manipulation to subvert justice and cover up their evil tracks; I will not relent. This matter may go very FAR if they do not do the right thing! Those are NOT my real scores and can NEVER be!
Re: Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) by donpata(m): 5:25am On Nov 16, 2020
lilliesboy:
This BIAS, particularly against postgraduate students coming from OTHER (African) universities and/or NON-Yoruba has been going on for MANY years in the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. They only PRETEND about it. If you ask (postgraduate) students/graduates of the University of Ibadan that came from OTHER universities, many of them will confirm what I am telling you.

One major and popular thing they use in identifying and differentiating THEIR own University of Ibadan alumni/first degree holders from OUTSIDE or NON-University of Ibadan graduates is the MATRICULATION NUMBER: all THEIR Unibadan products carry Matric Numbers that begins with number "1," while OUTSIDERS or non-Unibadan (postgraduate) students carry Matric Numbers that begin with "2". Once lecturers/staff see a student's Matriculation Number that begins with "2," they QUICKLY hold a stupid BIAS against the student and begin to NEGATIVELY judge their intelligence/academic performance based on that.

Records have shown that many Nigerian postgraduate students who came from OTHER universities had OFTEN outshine their so-called ONLY "best/brilliant" University of Ibadan alumni/products academically and otherwise. Thus, many lecturers and non-academic staff feel insulted and threatened like they are not good lecturers since it invariably means so if their students are not better than those coming from other universities or NON-Yoruba ethnic group. To justify this, they OFTEN score non-Unibadan or OUTSIDE students very LOW in exams but give their (dull) students/alumni BETTER (unmerited) grades and advantage. They also complement this injustice and systemic corruption by ALWAYS talking DOWN on non-Unibadan graduates or making a caricature of them in comparison to their own (dull) students in order to DEMORALIZE them (OUTSIDE students/NON-Yoruba) by making them feel TIMID or like they do not know anything and never merited their (first) good degrees. This is clearly a form of PSYCHOLOGICAL warfare and should be punished if Nigeria was an advanced society with a high rule of law.

These systemic corruption and injustice are the MAIN reasons why so MANY (Yoruba) students in this part of the country, most of them DUNES, are awarded Ph.D, made professors, SAN etc., than the rest region of the country. It is because they are in CONTROL of the (educational) system, NOT because they are the most intelligent. I tell you, SO MANY of them with Ph.D. and Professorial degrees/tiles know very little or NOTHING compared to those in the Niger Delta and other areas. I and others who have lived here KNOW what we are talking about. Na DASH dem dey DASH many of dere pipul here wit dos (UNMERITED) degrees and awards.

Imagine "postgraduate" students who cannot speak neither write a simple good sentence; some of them in class even talk in YORUBA when presenting seminar paper since they cannot speak in simple English. Their papers are full of many grammatical blunders and misspellings; I and others even help them to edit their works. Yet, whenever results comes out these set of (Yoruba) students ALWAYS score HIGHER - 60% and above, than many of us who are NON-Yoruba and/or NON-University of Ibadan alumni. So much injustice, corruption and so-called tribalism here. Hypocrisy of the highest order!

I will NEVER relent concerning those poor seven (7) results! Let them do their usual gang up and manipulation to subvert justice and cover up their evil tracks; I will not relent. This matter may go very FAR if they do not do the right thing! Those are NOT my real scores and can NEVER be!

I can relate bro. I sometimes regret going there cos when there's opportunity, I see people that won't even come close to me in academics here in the north being favored cos they did their schooling in other universities and got their PhD grades while I went down to Ibadan to come out with some arbitrary grading. They are favored in scholarships than one is. Worst is when there seem not to be any guide concerning assessments. Most lecturers will not give CAs or assignments. They just mark exams over 100. Thus if exams don't go too well, na C or D get person be that.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Info Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro 2010/2011 Admission? / Ajayi Crowther University VC Blast Parents And Students In Open Letter / Kogi State University Resumes On 14 September 2020, Students To Wear Face Masks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.