Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,178 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas (19457 Views)

FG Orders ‘Eat, Drink Nigeria’ At State Functions / FG Orders Arrest Of Ex-customs Boss At Airport / Buhari Orders MDAs To Run Treasury Single Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by presiade(m): 11:27am On Jan 09, 2015
kowema:
Chai, on this note, I pity those old Generation Banks especially Union bank cus their Pocket wud be emptied.....Its Govt. Funds dat has been sustaining them since
Stop living in the last decade, the bank is really transforming. Nothing is static.

4 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by chimah3(m): 11:28am On Jan 09, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Hollawaley(m): 11:29am On Jan 09, 2015
That doesn't mean millions won't be entering montly chris e.t.c
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by peddyholly: 11:30am On Jan 09, 2015
Now our otuoke president is making U-turn frm his cluelessness. Good1

2 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Kx: 11:30am On Jan 09, 2015
As much as banks will be affected, does this not spell more job loss in the sector?

1 Like

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Trypant(f): 11:31am On Jan 09, 2015
FrankC3:

Actually, this is a Government policy that predates the CBN Governor and he MUST be commended for seeing reasons to continue pushing it.

This directive is aimed at providing single collection box for government revenues to ease account management, streamline the process, tracking, taxation and most importantly, reduce the giver and taker contact that make up corruption. Every sane Nigerian should applaud the government in this effort. It means that when you import your cars, you will make your payment for port clearance at your chosen bank probably via online transfer or POS, the fund immediately reflect in this electronic wallet linked to ALL banks and within the control of the CBN. This way, the responsible agency only have the responsibility of ensuring that funds are coming it under their names in the account. Funds can only leave the electronic wallet with the approval and knowledge or identified personal and everything is tracked electronically. This is the real anti corruption war.

And for the records, no serious country, even some unserious countries (including Afghanistan and Syria and Sudan) allows MDAs to maintain accounts with commercial banks. MDAs are the execution tools of the government and the CBN is the banker for the government. This is how things should be. It seems that people are so used to aberrations for far too long.

I agree that other policies should also be developed to facilitate the funnelling in of diaspora funds into the country, though the country is not doing badly in foreign remittance from relatives abroad.

Thanks for the explanation!

4 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by martmag: 11:33am On Jan 09, 2015
Advert Procurement Officers are currently needed at Mart Mag, interested individual should forward their CV to Martmag13@gmail.com
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Eastherbunny(m): 11:35am On Jan 09, 2015
Aha and they say Jonathan is not fighting corruption.
Before catching a rat you first block the escape rout and that is what mr president is doing not wasting on trying to prosecute the corrupt he just to first to their ways of looting. open your yeye eyes and see the underground work the man is doing.
Even though am not a supporter of his I know good thing when I see one. It is always said that good things are not appreciated until it is lost.
Mr president keep doing it till...........20..

10 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:36am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

This is going to knock out a number of banks. To be honest with you I don't like the new CBN governor. He lacks foresight and is very parochial. What Nigeria should be doing is targeting diaspora transfers that can be in excess of $45billion a year through special instruments. Our human resources abroad make more foreign exchange than oil and gas makes for us locality and also many things are possible if only the man were really bright instead of bringing ideas like stealing N65 from cross ATM transactions.

The money will still be held in banks but via a centralized electronic system unlike the haphazard system in place now.

5 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by NoreenUG(f): 11:37am On Jan 09, 2015
iiichidodo:
This is better than dumping people inside crates...that is why an Illiterate has no place in our helm affairs...

GEJ is plugging loopholes and curbing corruption intelligently while buhari's understanding of anti-corruption is jailing ppl aimlessly without trial and witch-hunting his political enemies like obasanjo did.
that is the difference between a graduate and a stark illiterate.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by chronique(m): 11:38am On Jan 09, 2015
GEJ understands the system of corruption in Nigeria,and is doing the right things to curb them by implementing reforms that would bring checks and balances to the whole system. This is much more productive than spending tax payers money to feed corrupt people in jail. Good education surely has an advantage in all spheres of life.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Daintilicious(f): 11:40am On Jan 09, 2015
[size=16pt]Fighting corruption by building and strengthening institutions [/size]
GEJ till 2019

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Chigold101(m): 11:40am On Jan 09, 2015
Demburrows:
Naija, they still will find alternative loopholes for diverting funds. But for some banks it won't be funny.
this is what it mean to fight corruption... Build instutions that stop corrupt practices...
I like this, how ever i pity deposit banks ooo...

7 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Nobody: 11:40am On Jan 09, 2015
wordcat:
What are the pros and cons of this directive??

Somebody help please, I don't know and I don't want to pretend as if I know.

Electronic Data Interchange is what the Federal Government is trying to implement in the Revenue sector. With EDI, revenues will go through payment platform with online electronic wallets, and each payor will see how much he has been remitting so far to government and funds will be held by the reserve bank. The addenda of the EDI will have electronic forms to enter details and memo about the funds and everything is stored online on intranet or internet for auditing. Corruption will be zeroed, because the process will no more be manually managed, unlike now, that revenue collectors can collect bits of revenue to lie to government and pocket some change due to cumbersome paper-works. I will say, apart from fertilizer distribution process, this is a major financial management integration system and futuristic policy for Nigeria's revenue growth. This is the best anti-corruption policy and its world class.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by iiichidodo: 11:40am On Jan 09, 2015
NoreenUG:

GEJ is plugging loopholes and curbing corruption intelligently while buhari's understanding of anti-corruption is jailing ppl aimlessly without trial and witch-hunting his political enemies like obasanjo did.
Will you marry me?...

8 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by JesslordKay(m): 11:41am On Jan 09, 2015
GEJ was right when he said his administration is building institution to fight corruption. Though expecting the APC version.

6 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Forwetinnah: 11:42am On Jan 09, 2015
Governors too should do same..

4 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by researchgenes(m): 11:44am On Jan 09, 2015
A lot of Banks would start struggling especially Banks with Salary Accounts of FG staff

1 Like

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Chigold101(m): 11:45am On Jan 09, 2015
chronique:
GEJ understands the system of corruption in Nigeria,and is doing the right things to curb them by implementing reforms that would bring checks and balances to the whole system. This is much more productive than spending tax payers money to feed corrupt people in jail. Good education surely has an advantage in all spheres of life.

So much On point man...

We dont need people in jail what we need is to block every holes where our money leaks out from...
Institutions and orientation... Thats all

7 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by NoreenUG(f): 11:45am On Jan 09, 2015
iiichidodo:
Will you marry me?...

lol
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 11:46am On Jan 09, 2015
Adesiji77:
The Federal Government on Tuesday directed all its Ministries, Departments and Agencies to close their revenue accounts with Deposit Money Banks latest by February 28.

The government gave the directive while unveiling an electronic revenue collection platform aimed at checking theft, diversion of collected revenue and all sorts of corrupt practices associated with revenue collection.

READ MORE HERE http://businessnews.com.ng/2015/01/08/close-revenue-accounts-banks-fg-orders-mdas/

Bankers, which way forward?
its time to take my hacking course seriously ..........
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by heroarams(m): 11:50am On Jan 09, 2015
They are saving up.

Another missing $20 billion (this time revenue) money waiting to happening.
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by 9inches(m): 11:52am On Jan 09, 2015
One of the machines to check corruption. Nice one Mr. President. More to come on board soon!

May God grant us Love and Goodluck come February 14, ni oruko Jesu....

7 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by jeje123(m): 11:53am On Jan 09, 2015
kowema:
Chai, on this note, I pity those old Generation Banks especially Union bank cus their Pocket wud be emptied.....Its Govt. Funds dat has been sustaining them since
Dormant account balance with union bank is enough if dey like let dem close federation account my vote must be count for GMB come next month.
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by snakie86: 11:53am On Jan 09, 2015
wordcat:

Do not be offended broda, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this policy?

Can u help me please?

This is a welcome development cos it means that government has denied MDAs the mandate to collect, warehouse and remit revenues at the end of the month to the Consolidated Revenue Funds (CRF).Revenue accruing directly to the CRF are expected to be paid into the account of the federal government in any commercial bank which is thereafter remitted to the government’s single treasury account, otherwise known as the CRF, within 24 hours.

FIRS,NIMASA,NNPC,CUSTOM,FAAN and other agencies that have revenue accounts in commercial banks are expected to remit whatever comes into their account to FG within 24 hours.

In a lay mans language.....We all pay taxes (PAYE,WHT,VAT,STAMP DUTY etc) to Government through FIRS. these taxes are processed by Banks, FIRS maintain revenue accounts in all commercial banks which all these taxes goes in on a daily basis...What they do with the money once it hit their revenue accounts in these banks is to wait till end of the month before consolidating all revenue from banks and remit to the CRF. Government is now saying that, once revenue is processed by Banks, it must get to the FG within 24hrs.

The advantage of this is that some loopholes for embezzlements will be blocked and there will be transparency in revenue collection.

For commercial Banks, it will be a great disadvantage as float being enjoyed by this banks on millions of revenue account wont be there again....it will reduce their income in terms of float on daily balances on this account but this can be cover up a bit with aggressiveness of the amount of revenue they help collected from individuals and corporation on behalf of federal government.

I hope my little explanation helps and hope the link below on failures of MDA's in non-remittance of FG revenue will help in understanding the concept of this policy better
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/disquiet-over-non-remittance-of-fg-s-revenue/139336/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by Betboss(m): 11:55am On Jan 09, 2015
Nice move mr president....

3 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by chemali: 11:56am On Jan 09, 2015
Chigold101:

So much On point man...

We dont need people in jail what we need is to block every holes where our money leaks out from...
Institutions and orientation... Thats all

The judiciary is an institution. The prison services is an institution. The police is an institution. Efcc is an institution. When people disobey the laws, when the steal, when they are corrupt, these institutions are saddled with getting them. Is he destroying these institutions and building other institutions?
Irrespective, this is a good development

3 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by betterabia: 11:56am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

This is going to knock out a number of banks. To be honest with you I don't like the new CBN governor. He lacks foresight and is very parochial. What Nigeria should be doing is targeting diaspora transfers that can be in excess of $45billion a year through special instruments. Our human resources abroad make more foreign exchange than oil and gas makes for us locality and also many things are possible if only the man were really bright instead of bringing ideas like stealing N65 from cross ATM transactions.

i heard indians and chinese working in nigeria pay their taxes in india and china
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by nellycobs: 11:58am On Jan 09, 2015
Do you know who collects the revenue for lagos? wake up bro. Tinubu's company makes all the bulk and gives what they want to Eko.

nduchucks:
GEJ and his administration seem to be learning from Tinubu's successful revenue collection system, implemented in Lagos and many other states. I wonder what took them 6years to do this. Barawos

5 Likes

Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by justscorch: 12:01pm On Jan 09, 2015
NoreenUG:

I don't know what u mean but I just want make dem jail ALL the corrupt politicians jare,dia cup don full.I'm voting Buhari just for that single act
Re: Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas by londoner: 12:02pm On Jan 09, 2015
jingh:
People will still have their way in thieferry and stealery

Yes, people still have their ways of stealing in every country in the world, but this is a fantastic development.

GEJ has the right ideas and is actually ACTING upon them.

His hand are the better hands to change Nigeria in the short to medium term future. He is thinking of closing loopholes and reducing corruption at the source and Buhari is only talking about punishment after the fact.

Could this be why he has delayed the budget, if he has?

This man is no fool.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dankwambo Unfit For President, Gombe Group Tells Mbaka / BREAKING: Finally, Senate Passes 2018 Budget Of N9.12tr / Fayose Blows Hot Over Suspended Rivers Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.