Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

16 Office Etiquettes For All Employees - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 16 Office Etiquettes For All Employees (776 Views)

All Employees Must Read This / How Much Does Shoprite Pay Its Employees? / 10 Jobs That Make Nigerian Employees Wear Tattered Outfits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

16 Office Etiquettes For All Employees by Nimen(m): 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
Noticed that we Nigerians have a laisez fere attitude to office work, we do things as if it were our home...

The following are Office etiquettes applicable in every office and should be observed judiciously

1. Chewing gum and popping bubble gum in the presence of co-workers is neither cool nor dignified
Never do it while attending customers

2. Be neat, clean and as conservative as the business requires you to be.

3. We are put off by smelly people. So, be sure to shower regularly and use a suitable deodorant

4. Do not cough or sneezein anyone's direction. Use a tissue, if possible, to contain the germs and then say "Excuse me"

5. Keep your interruptions of others to a minimum and always apologise if your intrusion is an interruption of a discussion, someone’s concentration or other activity.

6. Show respect for each others workspace. Knock before entering

7. Speak clearly without shouting.Loud people are a nuisance

8. Do not try to sell things to your colleagues.

9. Don’t hang around while waiting for a co-worker to get off the phone. Leave a note for them to call you or return later

10. Surveys show that the office know-it-all prove to be the biggest gripw amongst co-workers. Don't be a know-all, keep some to yourself

11. Take responsibility for your mistakes, apologise and go about correcting the mistakes
Apologise if you are clearly in the wrong. If in doubt, apologise anyway. It’s no big deal
Never blamesomeone else if it is your mistake

12. The boss always gets the benefit of the doubt. Don’t argue with the boss

13. Keep your work area tidy.Try not to be messy

14. It is extremely rude to arrive late for a meeting
It is ruder still to not attendat all. Having a good excuse does not exonerate you
Do notdominate the meeting. All communication must take place through the chairperson

15. Always be particularly respectful to those older than yourself even if they are junior to you in position.

16. Practice good manners and office etiquette at every opportunity; even in the toilet
‘Mute’ your cell phone in the office. No fancy ring tones.
Re: 16 Office Etiquettes For All Employees by InZA: 5:45pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nice one... I practise almost all of them though.... But I would be more meticulous about the other ones that I faulter in (fancy ring tone grin)
Re: 16 Office Etiquettes For All Employees by Nimen(m): 5:26am On Jan 11, 2015
Many Nigerian employees will be like "it doesn't concern me"
hahaha fancy ringtones, hope it doesn't ring when your boss is with you grin cheesy cos that on its on screams "DISASTER!!"
InZA:
Nice one... I practise almost all of them though.... But I would be more meticulous about the other ones that I faulter in (fancy ring tone grin)

(1) (Reply)

Waec Gce 2015 Geography Obj And Theory Solution / Training Courses For January 2016( 4 Engineers, Jobseekers, Nysc Members) / In Need Of A Volunteer/intern Job..,i Hate Being Idle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.