Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,979 members, 7,821,418 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 (1089 Views)

I’ve Forgiven You, Fayose Tells Outgoing Lawmakers / Why I Support Buhari Despite His Government Jailing Me – Tunde Thompson / I’ve forgiven Buhari, says Tunde Thompson, journalist jailed under Decree 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by sinorte: 1:19am On Jan 11, 2015
BY OLAKUNLE OLAFIOYE

Just like in his previous outings, the ghost of Decree 4 of 1984 is haunting General Muhammadu Buhari(rtd), presidential candi­date of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as he once again takes another shot at the presidency. The infamous decree which made the duo of Tunde Thompson and Nduka Irabor of The Guardian newspaper the first victims of military law, has in recent weeks gained cur­rency with political rivals using it as a weapon against the former military head of state.

But Tunde Thompson believes Buhari’s op­ponents are deliberately confusing and mislead­ing Nigerians . In this interview, he lays bare the issues surrounding their detention as well as unmasked those behind their ordeal. Excerpts:

Are you saying if there was any hurt he’s been forgiven?

Left to me, the hurt was inadvertent; it was aimed at protecting the government. I know it was not for journalists alone, there were other professional groups other than journalists that the decree was targeted at. I am very happy that we faced the bullet and the bullet was deadened at our end. The press and the government are rivals in the search for in­formation. They are also rivals in secrecy matters. The government wants to keep its secrets secret and we want to make the secrets open because we want to inform our audience. That’s why we always quarrel and that’s why I believe the govern­ment and the media need more fora to understand themselves. There are hostilities because we don’t understand ourselves.

Are you saying you wish General Buhari well as he aspires to rule Nigeria?

Yes, as far I am concerned now and considering the fact that there is an order that the Minister of Petroleum should not appear before the National Assembly to defend her conduct and considering the fact that the Naira had been further devalued. Now listen, in Ghana the Cedi we used to mock, the Rupee we used mock and the Yen. The Naira is just not there again. We say revalue the Naira but they said they cannot because we only have one commodity. The government has been saying a lot about agriculture. Cocoa provided the mainstay of the defunct western region under Chief Obafemi Awolowo. Groundnuts provided the mainstay of the defunct northern economy under Sir Ahmadu Bello. Have our farmlands suddenly become infer­tile? We have solid minerals; we have gold in Ilesa. What I am trying to say is that if we look critically, we have other commodities and if they are har­nessed we will be able to say we have more than oil. I appreciate what the Minister of Agriculture, Akinwunmi Adesina is doing now. Rice is be­ing produced on massive scale but the problem is mechanization. They are trying to see if we can grow wheat here. I believe enough efforts have not been made to find alternative income-generating activities.

Some even seem to be too powerful. They are sacred cows and they cannot be tamed. Is that not dangerous? I believe that a person like Buhari at this time can call anybody to order and some people are afraid of that.

The fear of a few people who have plundered the treasuries of this country should not be allowed to hinder our economic progress and political trans­formation. I think Buhari is humble. How many times did Abraham Lincoln run for presidency of United States? Was it not about 11 times? But Bu­hari is running for about three, four times and peo­ple are saying he is too old. He is not too old. Let them go to India, let them go to other places there are examples. I will not like people to use Decree 4 as an excuse to deny somebody, who can help bring discipline through democratic means, to Nigeria, another opportunity of getting to the position of president of this country. I think God is getting tired of the injustice in this country.

That is why some of us are seeing the reason to rally round the man and support him. The Sun is not a newspaper for any candidate, it is a national newspaper. I am very happy that you raised the is­sue about what my position is on somebody who put me in jail. I think 30 years is long enough, we should forgive and forget and let there be progress. Those who are ready to continue confusing issues out of their ignorance should be pushed aside and let us do what our conscience dictates. Except we want to suffer for another four or eight years, it will be costly to make a wrong decision again.

7 Likes

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by Dez80(m): 1:35am On Jan 11, 2015
Even people who arent suppose to forgive Buhari are with him as a result of Gej's incompetence n thievery.
Put all issues aside, be it ethnic,religion,etc or whasover n lets salvage Nigeria from total collapse

dont waste ur vote AGAIN!

3 Likes

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by hyfr(m): 1:49am On Jan 11, 2015
I like that post above me cheesy. "Even people who aren't supposed to forgive buhari are with him" So they even know the truth. cheesy. Deceit101

1 Like

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by eleko1: 1:53am On Jan 11, 2015
That is the Spirit.BUHARI SPREADING GOOD TINDDING/SPREADING like harmattan bush fire everywhere.Only the THIEVES AND UNFIT/MISFIT ARE AFRAID OF HIM.SAI BUHARI INCORRUPTIBLE PRESIDENT 2015-2019 cool

1 Like

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by Mancity26(m): 2:17am On Jan 11, 2015
Do u knw if GMB don forgive u? Anoda 100yr in prison is smelling if he mistakenly rule dis naija

1 Like

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by brutef0rce101: 5:07am On Jan 11, 2015
Jona in trouble. Chai..my belle dey sweet me.

1 Like

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by cuteboy2: 5:28am On Jan 11, 2015
Nigerians and short memories
Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by azzima(m): 5:32am On Jan 11, 2015
FRONT PAGE PLEASE!!!

1 Like

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by sleekp1: 5:34am On Jan 11, 2015
But Tunde Thompson believes Buhari’s op­ponents are deliberately confusing and mislead­ing Nigerians . In this interview, he lays bare the issues surrounding their detention as well as unmasked those behind their ordeal.

I read up to this point and realized he was paid and I became disinterested. He is now blaming people who confronted Buhari when he was jailed, wow he didn't even disguise the fact he was rewarded for this.

1 Like

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by gabriel212: 7:39am On Jan 11, 2015
sleekp1:

I read up to this point and realized he was paid and I became disinterested. He is now blaming people who confronted Buhari when he was jailed, wow he didn't even disguise the fact he was rewarded for this.
am appalled at your logic.
somebody said he hold no grudge against GMB coz it was done to protect the country integrity but you are here disappointed. who should be u/him?
Many of the allegations against GMB are twisting of facts. He has the moral right to put things straight on like Gej who is unknowingly campaigning against himself. imagine
{ HOW MUCH DOES NWOBODO STOLE?
THE MONEY NOT UP TO THE PRICE OF A PEUGEOT AND HE WAS SENT TO JAIL} was he suppose to steal at all?

1 Like

Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by egift(m): 7:53am On Jan 11, 2015
sleekp1:

You are crying more than the people affected by the events. Shame on you for even accusing the man.

This is Democracy, their are many check and balances and we have Professor of Law and Order to help guide the People's General if he is over-stepping his bounds. Together we will stop Corruption and build a better Nigeria.

GMB all the way!
Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by SweetJoystick(m): 8:19am On Jan 11, 2015
Nice, i personally, shouldn't even be supporting GMB because of his role in my grand fathers arrest, then sacking, but that is gone. I can't because of bitterness choose to follow or support GEJ who is not man enough to pilot the affairs of Nigeria. CHANGE!!!!
Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by Code213: 9:28am On Jan 11, 2015
sleekp1:

He was paid because he decided to put his Country's interest ahead of his own personal grievance?

I no blame una!! U guys don't know what selflessness means!!

Febuhari 14 -show love to your country! Vote wisely.
Re: I’ve Forgiven Buhari, Says Tunde Thompson, Journalist Jailed Under Decree 4 by 9jatriot(m): 9:45am On Jan 11, 2015
sleekp1:

Maybe its my level of education, but I read that script, I can't seem to find where you saw where he said he was paid.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BUSTED! Office Of Chief Economic Adviser Misrepresents Gej's Achievement (pics) / My 100 Days Covenant With Nigerians – Muhammadu Buhari / PHOTO: Massive Queue For Kerosene After It Goes From N130 To N50 Per Litre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.