Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Facts You Never Knew About Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facts You Never Knew About Africa (1492 Views)

10 Astonishing Facts You Never Knew About The Great Wall Of China / Kogi State : 10 Interesting Facts You Should Know / 5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts You Never Knew About Africa by Nelsonesq(m): 2:32pm On Jan 11, 2015
25 Facts We Bet You Never Knew About Africa !
1. Gambia has only one university.
2. Equatorial Guinea is Africa’s only Spanish-speaking country.
3. South Africa is the most visited African country.
4. Nigeria has the richest Black people in Africa.
5. Samuel Eto’o is the highest paid Footballerof all time, he received about £350,000weekly in Russia in 2011.
6. A person from Botswana is called a Motswana, the plural is Batswana.
7. A person from Lesotho is called a Mosotho.
8. A person from Niger is called a Nigerien. A person from Burkina Faso is called a Burkinabe.
9. Nigeria has won more football cups than England.
10. Zimbabwe’s President, Robert Gabriel Mugabe is the world’s most educated President with 7 degrees, two of them are Masters.
11. Al-Ahly of Egypt is the richest club in Africa.
12. Didier Drogba is Chelsea’s highest goal scorer in European competition.
13. Johannesburg, South Africa is the most visited city in Africa.
14. Zinedine Zidane wanted to play for Algeria, but the selector rejected him, saying they are already many players like him in the team.
15. President Jacob Zuma was once a referee in prison.
16. President Robert Mugabe was jailed for 11 years for fighting for freedom.
17. President Robert Mugabe is Africa’s oldest Head of State and the world’s second oldest Head of State. He was born 1924.
18. The Seychellois are the most educated Africans. Seychelles’ literacy rates (Adult: 92%, Youth: 99%), Zimbabwe is 2nd (Adult: 91.2%, Youth: 99%).
19. Rwanda is a better country for gender equality than England and USA.
20.Somalia got its first ATM on October 7,2014.
21. South Africa has the most Grammy Award winners in Africa.
22. Ethiopia has the most airports in Africa.
23. Ethiopia’s economy is growing faster than China's.
24. Eritrea’s President, Isaiah Afwerki is the least richest President in Africa.
25. Ethiopia is Africa’s oldest independent country,

1 Like

Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by axum: 4:49pm On Jan 11, 2015
Nelsonesq:
25 Facts We Bet You Never Knew About Africa !
1. Gambia has only one university.
2. Equatorial Guinea is Africa’s only Spanish-speaking country.
3. South Africa is the most visited African country.
4. Nigeria has the richest Black people in Africa.
5. Samuel Eto’o is the highest paid Footballerof all time, he received about £350,000weekly in Russia in 2011.
6. A person from Botswana is called a Motswana, the plural is Batswana.
7. A person from Lesotho is called a Mosotho.
8. A person from Niger is called a Nigerien. A person from Burkina Faso is called a Burkinabe.
9. Nigeria has won more football cups than England.
10. Zimbabwe’s President, Robert Gabriel Mugabe is the world’s most educated President with 7 degrees, two of them are Masters.
11. Al-Ahly of Egypt is the richest club in Africa.
12. Didier Drogba is Chelsea’s highest goal scorer in European competition.
13. Johannesburg, South Africa is the most visited city in Africa.
14. Zinedine Zidane wanted to play for Algeria, but the selector rejected him, saying they are already many players like him in the team.
15. President Jacob Zuma was once a referee in prison.
16. President Robert Mugabe was jailed for 11 years for fighting for freedom.
17. President Robert Mugabe is Africa’s oldest Head of State and the world’s second oldest Head of State. He was born 1924.
18. The Seychellois are the most educated Africans. Seychelles’ literacy rates (Adult: 92%, Youth: 99%), Zimbabwe is 2nd (Adult: 91.2%, Youth: 99%).
19. Rwanda is a better country for gender equality than England and USA.
20.Somalia got its first ATM on October 7,2014.
21. South Africa has the most Grammy Award winners in Africa.
22. Ethiopia has the most airports in Africa.
23. Ethiopia’s economy is growing faster than China's.
24. Eritrea’s President, Isaiah Afwerki is the least richest President in Africa.
25. Ethiopia is Africa’s oldest independent country,

Mogadishu got its first ATM, People in northern Somalia use cell phones to exchange money into their accounts and have ATM.
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by Rafikizolo: 5:44pm On Jan 11, 2015
axum:

Mogadishu got its first ATM, People in northern Somalia use cell phones to exchange money into their accounts and have ATM.

Remove yourself.
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by axum: 3:28am On Jan 12, 2015
Rafikizolo:

Remove yourself.

Remove your lies. And DONT TALK ABOUT SOMALIA/ETHIOPIA/ERITREA, STICK TO TALKING ABOUT BANTUS
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by Rafikizolo: 10:15pm On Jan 13, 2015
axum:

Remove your lies. And DONT TALK ABOUT SOMALIA/ETHIOPIA/ERITREA, STICK TO TALKING ABOUT BANTUS

You'd be sad to learn how many Ethiopians I know who consider themselves black. Somalis too. I think you're the liar. I think you're trying to paint a narrative of every Somali being a racist, backwards fool. When in reality all of us here know this is not the truth.

1 Like

Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by 1shortblackboy: 1:07am On Jan 14, 2015
abeg wat is wrong with axum.
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by axum: 6:28am On Jan 15, 2015
Rafikizolo:

You'd be sad to learn how many Ethiopians I know who consider themselves black. Somalis too. I think you're the liar. I think you're trying to paint a narrative of every Somali being a racist, backwards fool. When in reality all of us here know this is not the truth.

Again I dont need to tell you about How Somalis/Ethiopians view themselves or see Bantus, our history speaks for itself, but seeing as you have low self esteem you will hang on to anything in order to attach yourself to anyone who is not Black
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by Rafikizolo: 7:34am On Jan 15, 2015
axum:

Again I dont need to tell you about How Somalis/Ethiopians view themselves or see Bantus, our history speaks for itself, but seeing as you have low self esteem you will hang on to anything in order to attach yourself to anyone who is not Black

If Ethiopians and Somalis never existed i would still be proud to be black. 99.99% of all of the famous and successful sub-saharan Africans and people of the sub-saharn diaspora are not Ethiopian or Somali. You can name any single profession from engineering to arts to the sciences and beyond and can name a "bantu" person who is/was noteworthy (often times world famous for being a geniusbor the best) in every single field you can possibly imagine (even slave trade).

You cannot do the same for Somalis. So take yourself and your misplaced pride elsewhere.
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by axum: 2:13pm On Jan 15, 2015
Rafikizolo:

If Ethiopians and Somalis never existed i would still be proud to be black. 99.99% of all of the famous and successful sub-saharan Africans and people of the sub-saharn diaspora are not Ethiopian or Somali. You can name any single profession from engineering to arts to the sciences and beyond and can name a "bantu" person who is/was noteworthy (often times world famous for being a geniusbor the best) in every single field you can possibly imagine (even slave trade).

You cannot do the same for Somalis. So take yourself and your misplaced pride elsewhere.

Your a slowpoke. If Somalis/Ethiopians didnt exist I would not exist. Since they do and I am them, why would I claim to be black.

Its like Somalis forcing telling the Bantus inside Somalia to be proud of being ethnic Somalis when they are Bantu. It makes no sense.

There are Somali/Ethiopian doctors, lawyers, who do you think runs Somalia/Ethiopia its ethnic people from those countries.

Being a Doctor/Lawyer is a trade anyone can learn. Look at your history and compare it to ours.
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by Rafikizolo: 6:07pm On Jan 15, 2015
axum:

Your a slowpoke. If Somalis/Ethiopians didnt exist I would not exist. Since they do and I am them, why would I claim to be black.

Its like Somalis forcing telling the Bantus inside Somalia to be proud of being ethnic Somalis when they are Bantu. It makes no sense.

There are Somali/Ethiopian doctors, lawyers, who do you think runs Somalia/Ethiopia its ethnic people from those countries.

Being a Doctor/Lawyer is a trade anyone can learn. Look at your history and compare it to ours.

You're missing my point. Of course every country has doctors. But how many Somali/Ethiopian nobel prize winners are there? How many are world renowned actors/ musicians? How many have been recognized for major medical breakthroughs? How many are as influential as Nelson Mandela?

To this day, I can not name a Somali who is the best/highest paid/most famous/ or most influential at ANYTHING. Not at sports, not at music, not at any form of science from medicine to engineering, not at philosophy, not at poetry, not at acting, not even at journalism or human rights advocacy. I can think of many Bantus who are either well known or hold the top spot in all of those categories. Maybe there's a Somali who's the best at brushing hair or something, or piracy.

Did you know that the richest person of all time was black? Mansa Musa. Look him up. He's the richest Emperor and person of all time and he was West African.

You keep talking about how Somalis owned slaves... Bantus owned slaves as well. And there were Bantu West African Empires that were larger and richer than the ones in the Horn of Africa. They traded with the middle east as well.

The thing about us bantus is that we can exclude Somalis and Ethiopians from the equation and still talk about extraordinarily succesful bantus from the past and the present. You on the other hand realize that Somalis are vastly outnumbered and outperformed by bantus in every field today. Its shameful how u choose to live in the past. You dont realize how foolish it makes you look. If you were really so great in the past and we were so awful and low, then how did you fall to the bottom of the bottom, and how did we rise so far above you into excellence?
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by gallivant: 7:15pm On Jan 15, 2015
LOL

Axum, we are waiting for a response. grin
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by axum: 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2015
Your comparing apples and oranges. Because Bantus/Negro are more than 500 million compared to Horn Africans 100 millions its only normal that their are more winners of nobel peace prize simply due to numbers

But there have been Somali winners and Ethiopians winners too. Also the fact that many bantus live in the west at a heavier concentration than Horners also makes difference.
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by Rafikizolo: 9:13pm On Jan 15, 2015
Fun fact, there's about 805 million bantus living in Africa. So you're right. You're outnumbered (so much for dying of HIV and wigs, right?). But that doesn't matter.

China outnumbers every other East Asian country, but there are countless internationally renowned success stories from people in Japan and South korea and Singapore and Thailans and their Diasporas. China's overwhelming population didn't stop those countries from developing either.

Living in the West s a big help in gaining notoriety, I will admit. However, there are also large numbers of blacks who live in Africa (or grew up in Africa) who became internationally renowned. Such as, Nelson Mandela, Brenda Fassie, Miriam Makeba, Wangari Maathai, Leila Lopes, Desmond Tutu, Kofi Annan, Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Lupita Nyong'o and so many more. The only household name from Somalia I can think of is Iman.

And not to beat a dead horse, but I was wondering... If Somalia has the world's most homogenous population, how come you guys fight each other the most in your own country? Every other country in Africa is more diverse and all of them are safer, and when there is conflict in those countries it's usually between tribes/cultures. How come Somalis hate themselves axum?
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by axum: 3:38am On Jan 22, 2015
Rafikizolo:
Fun fact, there's about 805 million bantus living in Africa. So you're right. You're outnumbered (so much for dying of HIV and wigs, right?). But that doesn't matter.

China outnumbers every other East Asian country, but there are countless internationally renowned success stories from people in Japan and South korea and Singapore and Thailans and their Diasporas. China's overwhelming population didn't stop those countries from developing either.

Living in the West s a big help in gaining notoriety, I will admit. However, there are also large numbers of blacks who live in Africa (or grew up in Africa) who became internationally renowned. Such as, Nelson Mandela, Brenda Fassie, Miriam Makeba, Wangari Maathai, Leila Lopes, Desmond Tutu, Kofi Annan, Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Lupita Nyong'o and so many more. The only household name from Somalia I can think of is Iman.

And not to beat a dead horse, but I was wondering... If Somalia has the world's most homogenous population, how come you guys fight each other the most in your own country? Every other country in Africa is more diverse and all of them are safer, and when there is conflict in those countries it's usually between tribes/cultures. How come Somalis hate themselves axum?

There are a total of 800 Million people in ALL of Africa, 100 Million of those are North Africans, and another 100 Million are in Somalia/Ethiopia/Eritrean/Djibouti
Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by Rafikizolo: 3:59am On Jan 22, 2015
axum:

There are a total of 800 Million people in ALL of Africa, 100 Million of those are North Africans, and another 100 Million are in Somalia/Ethiopia/Eritrean/Djibouti

No. Axum, take a look at the screenshot below.

Now, if you do your research there are about 195 million people in North Africa (I've provided another screenshot if you don't believe me or are too lazy to look this up)

And there's slightly more than 100 million people in the Horn of Africa (see attached screenshot)

Now, if you do the math and subtract 295 million from 1.1 Billion you get 805 million (yet another screenshot attached but you can go ahead and double check any of this if you must)

Re: Facts You Never Knew About Africa by axum: 10:25am On Jan 22, 2015
Rafikizolo:

No. Axum, take a look at the screenshot below.

Now, if you do your research there are about 195 million people in North Africa (I've provided another screenshot if you don't believe me or are too lazy to look this up)

And there's slightly more than 100 million people in the Horn of Africa (see attached screenshot)

Now, if you do the math and subtract 295 million from 1.1 Billion you get 805 million (yet another screenshot attached but you can go ahead and double check any of this if you must)

I see the figures have been updated from the site I looked at previously. Also I only count the Cushitic/Semetic native people of Ethiopia/Somalia/Eritrea/Djibouti since souther Ethiopia has Bantus, and there are still tens of thousands of Bantus in Southern Somalia.

(1) (Reply)

#historythursday: Memories Of Nigeria Civil War 1967-1970 / Does Make Up Make You Age Faster? / Why Do Ghanaians Have Similar Culture With Black Americans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.