Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito (856 Views)

Scientist Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquitoes / Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquitoes / Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquitoes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Akbee(m): 5:59am On Jan 14, 2015
Scientists have found a new species of
mosquitoes resistant to bed nets treated
with malaria insecticide in Mali.
The discovery by scientists from the
University of California,United States, is
coming at a time when the outbreak of the
Ebola Virus Disease has killed more than
7,000 people in West Africa.
According to the World Health Organisation,
malaria kills nearly one million people,
mostly children, every year.
The organisation also posits that more
than three million people- more than half
of the world’s population- is at risk of
malaria.
In a study published in the journal,
Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences, researchers said the new species
were created by interbreeding between
two mosquito species. The study also
maintained that the development was an
‘evolutionary change caused by the
introduction of the treated nets to the
environment.’
The lead researcher, Gregory Lanzaro said
the development was not surprising.
“Growing resistance has been observed for
some time. Recently, it has reached a level
at some localities in Africa where it is
resulting in the failure of the nets to
provide meaningful control and it is my
opinion that this will increase,’’ he said.
A statement by the University on Monday,
said the study, ‘provides convincing
evidence indicating that a man-made
change in the environment –the
introduction of insecticide- has altered the
revolutionary relationship between two
species in this case, a breakdown in the
reproductive isolation that separates them.’
A virologist with the Lagos University
Teaching Hospital, Lagos, Prof. Sunday
Omilabu, who spoke to our correspondent
on Tuesday, said the new species of
mosquitoes would pose challenges to
health systems.
While admitting that scientists will need to
control its spread, he said it was important
for people to keep a clean environment.
“The control will be difficult. We have to
study this species and destroy their lava.
We have to act on their breeding methods
because there is the possibility if
transmitting viral diseases. We need to
make sure that the environment is clean
and do away with stagnant water where
their eggs can hatch,’’ he said.
Credit: www.punchng.com/health/scientists-discover-insecticide-resistant-mosquitoes/
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by adeememman(m): 6:23am On Jan 14, 2015
okay
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by herald9: 6:32am On Jan 14, 2015
Nawaocheesy

Since the hunters have learnt to shoot without missing, I've also learnt to fly without perching
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Akbee(m): 6:35am On Jan 14, 2015
those tiny n lousy creatures suck.
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Akbee(m): 6:37am On Jan 14, 2015
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by zolajpower: 6:38am On Jan 14, 2015
wonderfulation
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Redoil: 6:44am On Jan 14, 2015
All these mosquitoes resistant insecticide are not false.
1. Some of them are APC cyber mosquitoes who have sworn to turn truth upside down against gej as envince on nairaland e.g omenka barcanista berem passingshot et al.
2. Some are APC footsoldiers a.k.a BH who are fond of metamorphosing into mosquitoes so as to escape the bullets of JTF.
3. While the rest are winches and wizard who want to make sure that they fill the 365 large drums of blood b4 they are caught.
I hereby call upon the JTF and the christian prayer warriors in the house to intensify their effort in eradicating them fast so that people can sleep with their two eyes close.
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by ramdris(m): 6:49am On Jan 14, 2015
Hmnn. This is no news to me na. Av discovered dis way back while in my former area Where mosquitoes wears gas mask wen attacking u. No matter d level of insecticide used,dem go suck u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Akbee(m): 6:56am On Jan 14, 2015
ramdris:
Hmnn. This is no news to me na. Av discovered dis way back while in my former area Where mosquitoes wears gas mask wen attacking u. No matter d level of insecticide used,dem go suck u.
u got my ribs cracking this mawning...au is life treatn u?
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Nobody: 7:00am On Jan 14, 2015
Redoil:
All these mosquitoes resistant insecticide are not false.
1. Some of them are APC cyber mosquitoes who have sworn to turn truth upside down against gej as envince on nairaland e.g omenka barcanista berem passingshot et al.
2. Some are APC footsoldiers a.k.a BH who are fond of metamorphosing into mosquitoes so as to escape the bullets of JTF.
3. While the rest are winches and wizard who want to make sure that they fill the 365 large drums of blood b4 they are caught.
I hereby call upon the JTF and the christian prayer warriors in the house to intensify their effort in eradicating them fast so that people can sleep with their two eyes close.
Coming from the chief mosquito cheesy

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by PassingShot(m): 7:06am On Jan 14, 2015
barcanista:

I just ignored him. He's craving for attention unnecessarily.
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Akbee(m): 7:22am On Jan 14, 2015
PassingShot:

I just ignored him. He's craving for attention unnecessarily.
on the contrary, i don't see anytn wrong with his comment...he is just trying to sound witty n satirical(playing with words-pun)i hope u were once a literature student in high school..
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by ramdris(m): 8:04am On Jan 14, 2015
Akbee:

u got my ribs cracking this mawning...au is life treatn u?
Thanks bro! Life is treating me fine n I pray it treats u better.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Redoil: 9:46am On Jan 14, 2015
barcanista:
clown how far
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Redoil: 9:50am On Jan 14, 2015
Akbee:

on the contrary, i don't see anytn wrong with his comment...he is just trying to sound witty n satirical(playing with words-pun)i hope u were once a literature student in high school..
you they mind passingshot abi na passingbomb. Even their head prefect bacanista who attended schools built by buhari accepted it
Re: Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito by Akbee(m): 9:57am On Jan 14, 2015
ramdris:

Thanks bro! Life is treating me fine n I pray it treats u better.
Amen

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Don't Nigerians Do Autopsies? / Well - Motivated Radiographers As Panacea To Medical Tourism In Nigeria / How You Can Lose Weight, Even With Your Busy Schedule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.