Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Casting The Headline - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Casting The Headline (2182 Views)

Nlproblemchild's Jamb Result Made Headline On / 7 Types Of Headline Headaches / 7 Types Of Headline Headaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Casting The Headline by Hawlahscho(m): 12:42pm On Jan 14, 2015
Hi, nairalanders/moderators.

I was reading a book this morning when I saw this I'm about to post, I think it can be useful for some nairalanders and our moderators, I just feel like sharing it with people. It simply teaches us how our headlines (Subjects) should look like. Here I come:

When casting your headline, you must use the simple present perfect tense and not the past tense: Bank donates equipment to hospital (not donated)

You must not use "and" in your headline. Use the comma instead: Assassin kills mother, son (not mother and son)

You must also not write your headlines in capitals

Use the dash to introduce speaker: Police have enough evidence to prosecute Lawan - Akanbi, Ajibola.

Use abbreviations where necessary: ACN govs storm Edo for Oshiomhole.

Use capitals for acronyms: Activists support review of EFCC, ICPC powers.

Reports must be easy to understand by people from different social, cultural and educational backgrounds. Therefore, long sentences full of clauses are not 87385: Geoffrey(p.7) says newspaper English must be simple and straight forward, the type of English a "busy person will prefer".

Use the active not the passive

Your language must not bore or confuse your reader. Use specific words: Say white or purple rather than bright coloured shirt.
Say it is foggy, drizzling or raining rather than bad weather.

Use positive words: He is ugly not a negative like he is not handsome. The readers are in hurry to know how ugly the man is.

Do not use too much of emotive or dramatic words like astonishing, flabbergasted, fantastic, sensational.

Use plain words: Began, Said, Ended, instead of Commenced, Stated, Terminated.

Do not use might, would and may unless it becomes unavoidable.

Do not use unknown quantities like very, really, truly, quite, etc

Do not qualify absolutes: A thing cannot be quite unique, quite impossible, glaring, obvious, most essential, etc.

Use short sentences But must not always be of the same length. If a sentence appears like there is something wrong with it, indeed, something is wrong with it.

Check words for spelling and meanings because words are facts and they must be accurately used.

Adjectives should only be used if they have something to say: A grey haired gives a good description but fantastic says nothing. Adjectives should answer questions not raise them. How fantastic is fantastic.

You must ask if words ate working for you.

Your sentence length must be short because it is not easy to write clear, long sentences in hurry even less less to read them in hurry.

Use the right word: Planning to change my apartment not contemplating to have a change of environment.

Do not be afraid of idiomatic English if it is appropriate to the subject or occasion and best expresses your meaning: A stitch in time serves nine may be more appropriate than saying, if he fails to do the right thing at the right time, he will have to begin again.

Avoid the use of slang and contradictions: Advertisement not "advert" or "ads".

Do not start your sentence wt "But" and "And",

Avoid the use of technical language you do not understand. Look it up in the dictionary.

***END***

Your views are needed.

source: A book titled "Writing Made Simple"
by: Bamidele Olugbenga, Kolawole Amos and Olufemi B. Taiwo.
ISBN: 9789789030767
Re: Casting The Headline by Hawlahscho(m): 7:59am On Aug 26, 2015
Lalasticlala Ishilove Farano

(1) (Reply)

Download Free Project Topics & Materials in Various Departments! / Aaua Resumes. / Direct Entry Nau(unizik)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.