Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) (70267 Views)

Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 – 99) / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 – 99) [see Photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by olusimeon: 6:59am On Jan 15, 2015
Gbam! This Tory shak me eh. I use am for my breakfast. I blf am sote I become happy. Finish am my boy! I dey enjoy am. God punish the devil and all liers.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Buchika: 7:04am On Jan 15, 2015
Ruffychuks:
Many have heard about this match. Some
think it’s an urban legend. Some think it’s
only a joke. But only few know the truth.
A long time ago, few months after the end
of the Nigeria-Biafra war, the Military
Governor of Lagos decided to stage an
exhibition match at the then glorious
National Stadium Lagos. He thought it
would be a special way of celebrating
Nigeria’s victory in the war, a way of
helping Lagosians to forget the sad bloody
years that had just passed. He wanted to
stage the match between Nigeria & Ghana
but was advised against it. His advisers
reminded him how Ghana trashed Nigeria
3-Nil at the 1960 Independence Match,
that another loss to Ghana might defeat
the purpose of the exhibition match. His
advisers suggested that they choose a
team that would be very easy to beat.
Brig Gen Mobolaji Johnson agreed.
Ethiopia was considered. Zimbabwe was
considered. India was considered. USA was
considered. And India was chosen. He &
his advisers believed that India would be a
walkover. But had he known what would
happen he might have chosen Brazil. Yes,
Brazil were the reigning world champions
at the time but… Oh, had he known.
India agreed to play the exhibition match
with Nigeria. In fact, they were overjoyed.
Nigeria was one of the best teams in
Africa. And they had never played with an
African team before. What more! They were
most overjoyed that Nigeria had agreed to
their three special conditions. What were
these conditions?
Well, on that fateful day, a bright Saturday
afternoon on August 15th, 1970, the
National Stadium Lagos was filled with
excited spectators. That was Condition No.
1, that the match be played on India’s
Independence Day. As the players of
Nigeria & India came into the pitch,
spectators screamed with more excitement
as they saw that all the twenty-two
players were barefooted. That was
Condition No. 2. (Remember that India
had withdrawn from the 1950 World Cup
because they weren’t allowed to play
barefooted.)
Priiii… Referee Mohamed Touati blew his
whistle to begin the game. (The Tunisian
referee had been suspended by FIFA earlier
that year but had accepted to officiate this
special match.) Indian forward Amer Al-
Amer made the first pass. And before
anyone could say “Bosnia-Herzegovina”,
one Majed Suleman fired the ball high into
the air towards the Nigerian post. The
gaint of a Nigerian keeper, Emmanuel
Okala, dived to the right while the ball
dropped into the left side of the net.
Gooooaaal!!! 3-0. That was Condition No.
3, that each goal scored by India would be
counted as 3points while each by Nigeria
would be 1 as usual. (Nigeria agreed
because they believed that India could
never score. Or at least couldn’t score
more than one goal.) Emmanuel was
looking confused. He was very sure he had
dived towards the ball. Every other person
thought he’d deliberately let the Indians
score just to spice up the game.
Meanwhile, India’s fan club was going wild
with jubilation.
Priii… The Nigerian forwards Sunday
Atuma & Thompson Usiyen passed. As
Thompson passed to Paul Hamilton, he
was surprised when he saw India’s Faisal
Al-Dakheel with the ball. Faisal quickly
shot the ball into the air towards Nigeria’s
post. Goooal! 6-0. Thompson was so
confused. He could have sworn it was Paul
his teammate he had passed to.
Priii… Sunday Atuma passed into the
Nigerian half. Alloysius Atuegbu passed to
Haruna Ilerika. Haruna made a long pass
into the Indian half to Samuel Okoye. He
was shocked when he saw the ball in the
legs of Abdullah Al-Shemmari. Haruna
wiped his eyes in disbelief. Too late!
Abdullah shot the ball into the air. Goal!
9-0. Three goals in barely six minutes?
Nigerian spectators were wondering what
was happening.
Priii… Goal! 12-0. Yusuf Al-Suwayed.
15-0. Amer Al-Amer. 18-0. Majed
Suleman’s second goal. 21-0. Abdulaziz
Al-Buloushi. 24-0. Majed’s hat-trick.
27-0. Faisal Al-Dakheel’s second goal.
30-0. Waleed Al-Mubarak. At the twentieth
minute, Nigeria’s Paul Hamilton ran with
the ball all the way to India’s box-18. But
as he raised his leg to shoot, he slipped &
fell. India’s defender Mahboub Jumaa
easily took the ball as Paul lay on the
ground moaning like a baby. That was the
nearest Nigeria had gotten to the Indian
post so far.
Twenty-five minutes later & eight goals
more, the score stood at 54-0. Some
spectators angrily left the stadium even
before the half-time whistle. Others waited
patiently, hoping that Nigeria would
revenge in the 2nd half.
“Boys, what the hell is happening out
there?!” Coach Jorge Penna was furious.
“You’re the damn captain, answer me!!” he
was shouting at Emmanuel Okala.
Emmanuel was speechless. He didn’t know
what to say.
“Co-co-coach…” Godwin Achebe began “I
think I know what’s happening sir”
The coach was glaring at him now.
“Those Indians dey use juju. They’re using
ma-magic.”
“Yes! Yes!” his teammates echoed &
nodded & murmured amongst themselves.
“Shut up you fools!! Magic my foot!!! There
is no magic in football!”
you can spin a tale, see a waste of fiction writing skill
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 7:12am On Jan 15, 2015
eyesofgod:
This story predates Okwaraji era. The tale has it that the match was between Green Eagles of Odegbami, Chukwu, Okpala era. Okpala, as the goalkeeper, was always seeing seven balls whenever an India player shot at goal hence the high score.
Another fairy tale involves India absence from athletics at the Olympics. It was said that their feet never touch the ground while doing the track events. Also, another tale claims the javeline thrown by the Indian athlete in one of the Olympics in the 70's is yet to be found

this lie is sweeter than honey gringrin
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Chigold101(m): 7:14am On Jan 15, 2015
Lolzzz this story has been there for decades even before Sam Okwaraji died.
The story does not only exists in Nigeria. Cos when we were growing up in Bamenda North West of Cameroun we were also told that India defeated Cameroun 99-1.
Even as a small boy I never believed the story... But such lies a fun to listen to anyway...
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by ncpat(m): 7:16am On Jan 15, 2015
The poster did not do his research well or maybe not born in the 80s , when the story was told in the 80s nobody mentioned okwaraji the name they usually called was thunder Musa or thunder balogun which they claimed he is the one that scored the only goal with his left foot. Rumours even have it that he killed his brother who was Nigeria best keeper when they went for a bet that his brother can not catch his shooting and he will be using his right leg because his left leg is obituary but on the process of running to kick the ball the greedy wife shouted at him to remember his left leg and that was how he used the left leg and the brother caught the ball and died. Oh boy these were the 80s stories oh and by then I was like 8 years old so what do you want me to say then. I have heard the story before the match between Nigeria and Angola where Samuel okwaraji lost his life. May his soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Desdola(m): 7:17am On Jan 15, 2015
Thunder Balogun!!! Remember your left.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 15, 2015
prettyboi1989:

Kidding u? Lemme tell u d tail part of d vid, he was singing without his mask on. B4 den they showd a 9 yrold girl talkn bout bein asked by beiber to pee on her. Internet is free man.
yee!!!....its true o......wait wich site did u download it
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by UjSizzle(f): 7:22am On Jan 15, 2015
You do realise saying this is akin to telling a child that Santa and the tooth fairy don't exist, right? angry

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by ncpat(m): 7:24am On Jan 15, 2015
Desdola:
Thunder Balogun!!! Remember your left.
yes you are with me that was the story I was told in Ajegunle
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by ifeanyidavid: 7:25am On Jan 15, 2015
Uncle please tell us a story
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by kevoh(m): 7:28am On Jan 15, 2015
Nexxy007:
i have always wondered why India has never participated in any football tournament though

Because they find it difficult to qualify to major tournaments like the World Cup. India is an Asian country and will have to compete with countries like U.A.E, Japan, China and even Australia just to qualify, even the ongoing Asian Cup they still didn't qualify. But they have a local football league which is more recognised than our Glo premier league.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Mathematical(f): 7:30am On Jan 15, 2015
FALLACIOUNESS shocked
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by mrkings84(m): 7:36am On Jan 15, 2015
From my foundings, such a match never held although we grew to meet and believe this fictional story. I long made my research about the story. The truth about India is that, they were actually banned from int'l tournaments in the early 20th century for refusing to adapt to FIFA'S new rule (introduction of football boots). Though the ban has been long lifted but hence they could not qualify in a any major int'l tournament that made the whole thing still believable. They have play the likes of Japan, China, Korea, Australia etc in the Asean zone to qualify. Indians are not a footballing nation though, but they do well in other sports like rugby, cricket and other field events. Their participation in Olympics has not been rewarding hence their names are usually not found on the medals table. But i bet u, these guys are good in acting snake films. Have u watch that new India snake film titled anaconda vs Mammon's?

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Daniel058(m): 7:40am On Jan 15, 2015
Holywizard:
My name is Wisdom...not just by name. I heard it when i was in primary skul & i knew it was all lies!!!
holywizard grin grin
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by starboiblinkz: 7:46am On Jan 15, 2015
just waiting for d gods to confirm wat u said is true
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by freecocoa(f): 7:46am On Jan 15, 2015
OP please mind yourself o, this story is true as far as we know jare grin.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by timmy7(m): 7:47am On Jan 15, 2015
Well, the version I heard, it was one Thunder Balogun that was acclaimed to have scored that goal for Nigeria and not Samuel... undecided
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by searay(m): 7:50am On Jan 15, 2015
ugodollars50:

How do we verify this?
The full story is HERE
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 15, 2015
eyesofgod:
This story predates Okwaraji era. The tale has it that the match was between Green Eagles of Odegbami, Chukwu, Okpala era. Okpala, as the goalkeeper, was always seeing seven balls whenever an India player shot at goal hence the high score.
Another fairy tale involves India absence from athletics at the Olympics. It was said that their feet never touch the ground while doing the track events. Also, another tale claims the javeline thrown by the Indian athlete in one of the Olympics in the 70's is yet to be found
hahahahahaha... I salute the Indians o!
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by BizBloke(m): 7:54am On Jan 15, 2015
Lol, funny story.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 15, 2015
The story is true but can't be found on the internet.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by olusimeon: 7:58am On Jan 15, 2015
Some of the people named are still alive. Call them
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Tee99(m): 8:06am On Jan 15, 2015
Different version of the story here don dey make me believe am sef
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by niggi4life(m): 8:13am On Jan 15, 2015
The match was real jare, it was THUNDER BALOGUN that scored the only goal and not Samuel okparaji. The ball changed to a stone and thunder balo hit the shot with much power.

it was also believed that Thunder balogun killed his brother (who was a goal keeper) when they had a bet that he can't score a penalty from the brother, he took a direct shot, it went straight and dashed into his brother's tummy and came out from the other side, that was how the brother died...... Cheiiiii, we dey hear correct lie in dose days oooo
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by joshuaidibia(m): 8:14am On Jan 15, 2015
LoL grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nicklaus(m): 8:15am On Jan 15, 2015
Hero10001:
"If you wanna hide anything from a Black man, put it in a book"

@OP, Why was India banned from the game?
Just becos it aint real doesn't mean it didn't happen.
. Then how did it happen when it aint real ? Do you understand it yourself ?
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Olodapsing(m): 8:20am On Jan 15, 2015
grin i cant. help but laugh my a$$* off, i believe all the story and there is nothing u can say that will change my mind set about India grin grin
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by deekseen(m): 8:20am On Jan 15, 2015
The version I heard in the 80's was that of Thunder Balogun. This was even before Okwaraji's death.

India was leading by 99-0 and we had a last minute penalty kick. No player was bold enough to step up to take it, so Thunder Balogun did. He was going to use his right foot but as he was about kicking the ball his brother shouted, "Thunder Balogun, remember you left." And so he hit the ball with his thunderous left foot and the ball blazed through the goalie, tore the net and flew outside the stadium. The referee ended the match and we won cause India bragged that if we could score a goal then we were winners.

Fictions for 80's no be here o.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by deekseen(m): 8:22am On Jan 15, 2015
niggi4life:
The match was real jare, it was THUNDER BALOGUN that scored the only goal and not Samuel okparaji. The ball changed to a stone and thunder balo hit the shot with much power.

it was also believed that Thunder balogun killed his brother (who was a goal keeper) when they had a bet that he can't score a penalty from the brother, he took a direct shot, it went straight and dashed into his brother's tummy and came out from the other side, that was how the brother died...... Cheiiiii, we dey hear correct lie in dose days oooo

Very strong lies Ehn. I heard these stories too. But the lies dey sweet to hear o.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by ceejay80s(m): 8:32am On Jan 15, 2015
The op is a lair and the mod helped move lies to front page Samuel okparaji did not die in that match, which show that the entire story is a lie
@ op ,how old are u?
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Accurate11(m): 8:35am On Jan 15, 2015
Ruffychuks:
Many have heard about this match. Some
think it’s an urban legend. Some think it’s
only a joke. But only few know the truth.
A long time ago, few months after the end
of the Nigeria-Biafra war, the Military
Governor of Lagos decided to stage an
exhibition match at the then glorious
National Stadium Lagos. He thought it
would be a special way of celebrating
Nigeria’s victory in the war, a way of
helping Lagosians to forget the sad bloody
years that had just passed. He wanted to
stage the match between Nigeria & Ghana
but was advised against it. His advisers
reminded him how Ghana trashed Nigeria
3-Nil at the 1960 Independence Match,
that another loss to Ghana might defeat
the purpose of the exhibition match. His
advisers suggested that they choose a
team that would be very easy to beat.
Brig Gen Mobolaji Johnson agreed.
Ethiopia was considered. Zimbabwe was
considered. India was considered. USA was
considered. And India was chosen. He &
his advisers believed that India would be a
walkover. But had he known what would
happen he might have chosen Brazil. Yes,
Brazil were the reigning world champions
at the time but… Oh, had he known.
India agreed to play the exhibition match
with Nigeria. In fact, they were overjoyed.
Nigeria was one of the best teams in
Africa. And they had never played with an
African team before. What more! They were
most overjoyed that Nigeria had agreed to
their three special conditions. What were
these conditions?
Well, on that fateful day, a bright Saturday
afternoon on August 15th, 1970, the
National Stadium Lagos was filled with
excited spectators. That was Condition No.
1, that the match be played on India’s
Independence Day. As the players of
Nigeria & India came into the pitch,
spectators screamed with more excitement
as they saw that all the twenty-two
players were barefooted. That was
Condition No. 2. (Remember that India
had withdrawn from the 1950 World Cup
because they weren’t allowed to play
barefooted.)
Priiii… Referee Mohamed Touati blew his
whistle to begin the game. (The Tunisian
referee had been suspended by FIFA earlier
that year but had accepted to officiate this
special match.) Indian forward Amer Al-
Amer made the first pass. And before
anyone could say “Bosnia-Herzegovina”,
one Majed Suleman fired the ball high into
the air towards the Nigerian post. The
gaint of a Nigerian keeper, Emmanuel
Okala, dived to the right while the ball
dropped into the left side of the net.
Gooooaaal!!! 3-0. That was Condition No.
3, that each goal scored by India would be
counted as 3points while each by Nigeria
would be 1 as usual. (Nigeria agreed
because they believed that India could
never score. Or at least couldn’t score
more than one goal.) Emmanuel was
looking confused. He was very sure he had
dived towards the ball. Every other person
thought he’d deliberately let the Indians
score just to spice up the game.
Meanwhile, India’s fan club was going wild
with jubilation.
Priii… The Nigerian forwards Sunday
Atuma & Thompson Usiyen passed. As
Thompson passed to Paul Hamilton, he
was surprised when he saw India’s Faisal
Al-Dakheel with the ball. Faisal quickly
shot the ball into the air towards Nigeria’s
post. Goooal! 6-0. Thompson was so
confused. He could have sworn it was Paul
his teammate he had passed to.
Priii… Sunday Atuma passed into the
Nigerian half. Alloysius Atuegbu passed to
Haruna Ilerika. Haruna made a long pass
into the Indian half to Samuel Okoye. He
was shocked when he saw the ball in the
legs of Abdullah Al-Shemmari. Haruna
wiped his eyes in disbelief. Too late!
Abdullah shot the ball into the air. Goal!
9-0. Three goals in barely six minutes?
Nigerian spectators were wondering what
was happening.
Priii… Goal! 12-0. Yusuf Al-Suwayed.
15-0. Amer Al-Amer. 18-0. Majed
Suleman’s second goal. 21-0. Abdulaziz
Al-Buloushi. 24-0. Majed’s hat-trick.
27-0. Faisal Al-Dakheel’s second goal.
30-0. Waleed Al-Mubarak. At the twentieth
minute, Nigeria’s Paul Hamilton ran with
the ball all the way to India’s box-18. But
as he raised his leg to shoot, he slipped &
fell. India’s defender Mahboub Jumaa
easily took the ball as Paul lay on the
ground moaning like a baby. That was the
nearest Nigeria had gotten to the Indian
post so far.
Twenty-five minutes later & eight goals
more, the score stood at 54-0. Some
spectators angrily left the stadium even
before the half-time whistle. Others waited
patiently, hoping that Nigeria would
revenge in the 2nd half.
“Boys, what the hell is happening out
there?!” Coach Jorge Penna was furious.
“You’re the damn captain, answer me!!” he
was shouting at Emmanuel Okala.
Emmanuel was speechless. He didn’t know
what to say.
“Co-co-coach…” Godwin Achebe began “I
think I know what’s happening sir”
The coach was glaring at him now.
“Those Indians dey use juju. They’re using
ma-magic.”
“Yes! Yes!” his teammates echoed &
nodded & murmured amongst themselves.
“Shut up you fools!! Magic my foot!!! There
is no magic in football!”
U av invented ur own lies wen we r still trying 2 remove d first lies ur grand parents told, dem sent u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua Loses to Andy Ruiz Jr. Knocked Out In The 7th Round (Pics) / How To Predict And Win Virtual Football League (vfl) / Super Falcons Wearing Skirts In France (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.