Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,478 members, 7,830,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Cost Question For Roofers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Cost Question For Roofers (2042 Views)

Imported Stone Coated Roofs Supplier, Expert Roofers In Nigeria? +2348131880944 / Question For You My People. How Did Facing Board Roofing Look Like? Any Picture / Question For Builders And Recent Owners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Question For Roofers by Nobody: 1:41am On Jan 15, 2015
Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to roof part of a single story consisting of 1,216 square feet using mid grade material.

Ibadan price I beg, no lofty Lekki, VGC et al prices grin
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by mufutau55(m): 1:45am On Jan 15, 2015
CityNG:
Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to roof part of a single story consisting of 1,216 square feet using mid grade material.

LOL! You mean no "water-logged" roofing PRICES.. I no blame you jare... smiley

Hajji M.
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 15, 2015
mufutau55:

LOL! You mean no "water-logged" roofing PRICES.. I no blame you jare... smiley

Hajji M.

I seriously just cannot believe how much money those guys are spending just to get out of the ground. It's mind boggling and makes no financial sense to me. Some of those properties are more expensive than Hawaii.
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by mufutau55(m): 2:32am On Jan 15, 2015
CityNG:

I seriously just cannot believe how much money those guys are spending just to get out of the ground. It's mind boggling and makes no financial sense to me. Some of those properties are more expensive than Hawaii.

When I first said what you are saying now, people think I was too cheap.. or too poor. Even if I have plenty money I will surely not want to waste it unnecessarily; there is other ways I can spend it.

Hajji M.
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by Nobody: 3:04am On Jan 15, 2015
mufutau55:

When I first said what you are saying now, people think I was too cheap.. or too poor. Even if I have plenty money I will surely not want to waste it unnecessarily; there is other ways I can spend it.

Hajji M.

I think it's the Nigerian experience that is limiting exposure to alternative ways to spread disposable income. There are so many things that one can spend money on to enjoy like boating, sailing, flying (pilot), traveling, weekend getaways, shows, opera, circus, theater, etc

A big monolith/edifice in basically a swamp does not blow up my skirt. I think they actually do a disfavor to the building marketplace as they inflate pricing unreasonably.

I wish that we can get a standard price per square foot for areas in Nigeria. One day sha.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Question For Roofers by mufutau55(m): 3:29am On Jan 15, 2015
CityNG:

I think it's the Nigerian experience that is limiting exposure to alternative ways to spread disposable income. There are so many things that one can spend money on to enjoy like boating, sailing, flying (pilot), traveling, weekend getaways, shows, opera, circus, theater, etc
A big monolith/edifice in basically a swamp does not blow up my skirt. I think they actually do a disfavor to the building marketplace as they inflate pricing unreasonably.
I wish that we can get a standard price per square foot for areas in Nigeria. One day sha.

Their only other recreation is going to Dubai. smiley
Look at the pictures below and feel sorry for money wasted on abandoned projects.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Cost Question For Roofers by abdulwastecx(m): 6:46pm On Jan 24, 2015
CityNG:

The problem is people always want to build using conventional and conservative method... modern method will surely lead to lower cost
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by abdulwastecx(m): 6:53pm On Jan 24, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

I'm of the view that people need to build more with bamboo wood, polystyrene materials and steel. civil/building engineering need to be involved more than the conventional method of cement and gravel.

people are building with bamboo in tropical third world countries in central and south America countries like Colombia, peru and brazil. some of these design are out of the box thinking and technical know how.

You will love some of these design because they combined aesthetics, structural integrity and most importantly COST
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 24, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I'm of the view that people need to build more with bamboo wood, polystyrene materials and steel. civil/building engineering need to be involved more than the conventional method of cement and gravel.

people are building with bamboo in tropical third world countries in central and south America countries like Colombia, peru and brazil. some of these design are out of the box thinking and technical know how.

You will love some of these design because they combined aesthetics, structural integrity and most importantly COST

This is why I am looking for a builder like that who is interested in breaking away from the mould.

For example, especially on single story structures, why do they keep on using concrete lintels when steel will do or at the very most, a precast concrete lintel.

Building with wood and other natural materials allows architects and builders to create unique and impressive looking shapely structures.
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by mufutau55(m): 7:11pm On Jan 24, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I agree with you 100%. I have travelled extensively and covered almost all parts of the world, so I have seen many houses built with alternatives methods. I wish I was interested in buildings then, I would have had many pictures to show.. But Yes, we need to explore more alternatives and Mr. CityEng has been saying this in every of his posts.

Hajji M.
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by abdulwastecx(m): 7:40pm On Jan 24, 2015
mufutau55:

I agree with you 100%. I have travelled extensively and covered almost all parts of the world, so I have seen many houses built with alternatives methods. I wish I was interested in buildings then, I would have had many pictures to show.. But Yes, we need to explore more alternatives and Mr. CityEng has been saying this in every of his posts.

Hajji M.

though as a young structural/civil engineer, I'm looking for ways to break some of those tradition.

I believe we should be able to build very low cost very attractive building.

I am looking at bamboo structures.
I am looking at serious rib slab using polystyrene as a permanent former .
I am looking at high yield wood as truss member
I am looking at very cheap pre fab houses

A combination of architecture, civil engineering and quantity surveying will do the magic. I'm learning so many 3 D archi softwares and some project management/costing to complement my primary structural/civil engineering knowledge
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by abdulwastecx(m): 9:42pm On Jan 24, 2015
CityNG:

This is why I am looking for a builder like that who is interested in breaking away from the mould.

For example, especially on single story structures, why do they keep on using concrete lintels when steel will do or at the very most, a precast concrete lintel.

Building with wood and other natural materials allows architects and builders to create unique and impressive looking shapely structures.

I'm of the opinion that bamboo need to be used more extensively here in Nigeria. it can solve most of our buiolding problem of his versatility and its fast growth rate.

Nigeria with a housing demand of about 20 million in a country with per capital of $3000. bamboo and other cheap building materials will do it
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by Rushtec(m): 9:48pm On Jan 24, 2015
Hmm grin
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by abdulwastecx(m): 9:56pm On Jan 24, 2015
CityNG:

what is type of roofing sheet are you planning to use.
are you making the roof truss
How high is the roof truss
are you using step tiles, long span aluminum roofing sheet or zink
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by Nobody: 4:26am On Jan 25, 2015
abdulwastecx:

what is type of roofing sheet are you planning to use.
are you making the roof truss
How high is the roof truss
are you using step tiles, long span aluminum roofing sheet or zink

Personal I prefer a roof like those pictures below. I believe that our African culture celebrates outside living and I'll like to utilize th roof areas to have an elevated patio.

Alternatively a low angled, almost flat roof using the current "Nigerian method" will suffice, grudgingly.

Re: Cost Question For Roofers by abdulwastecx(m): 6:44pm On Jan 25, 2015
CityNG:

Personal I prefer a roof like those pictures below. I believe that our African culture celebrates outside living and I'll like to utilize th roof areas to have an elevated patio.

Alternatively a low angled, almost flat roof using the current "Nigerian method" will suffice, grudgingly.

excellence analysis... But flat roof in tropical Southern part of Nigeria with high rainfal is undesirable as result of the following.
1. Low angled to flat roof tends to slow down water flow and leads to water stagnation which causes leakage.
2. we tends to build our roof truss wood ( as as the cheaper substitute because of our poor industrial production of steel). building flat roof with wood becomes problematic as the span get bigger which leads to sagging of rafter or tie beam as the roof age.
3. wind speed render the roof vulnerability at the elevated level unless parapet is built.
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by abdulwastecx(m): 6:47pm On Jan 25, 2015
CityNG:

I love the simplicity and thee beauty of the design
Re: Cost Question For Roofers by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 25, 2015
abdulwastecx:

excellence analysis... But flat roof in tropical Southern part of Nigeria with high rainfal is undesirable as result of the following.
1. Low angled to flat roof tends to slow down water flow and leads to water stagnation which causes leakage.
2. we tends to build our roof truss wood ( as as the cheaper substitute because of our poor industrial production of steel). building flat roof with wood becomes problematic as the span get bigger which leads to sagging of rafter or tie beam as the roof age.
3. wind speed render the roof vulnerability at the elevated level unless parapet is built.

I hear you and I understand everything that you write. My older Brother owns an Architectural firm here in California and he said the same thing that you said to me.

I'll give you a quote from my favorite President of all, John F Kennedy

"But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…"

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

So yes I know what it's easily possible in Nigeria but that's not for me and why I'm looking for an Architect/Builder that we can work together to create something together. Concrete can be missed with resin to ensure zero leaks, the roof can be slightly convex to ensure that water runoffs quickly, interior walls can be designed creatively to lessen span, steel truss can be used since it can cover more span than wood.

I do thank you though for looking at this from your point of view.

(1) (Reply)

Commercial/Industrial Land for Sale Along Lagos Ibadan Expressway at Diff. Area / FOR SALE, A Functional Filling Station ( 5 Pumps ) / POP Ceiling Finish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.