Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

UK's Aid to Nigeria For Fight Boko Haram 250million Pounds In 2014...where Is It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK's Aid to Nigeria For Fight Boko Haram 250million Pounds In 2014...where Is It (750 Views)

£250million Given To Buhari By Britain - Dailymail / See How Buhari Reacted 2 Allegations He's Using UK Aid 2 Fight His Opponents / Nigeria Using UK Aid To Persecute PMB's Political Foes Rather To Fight Boko Hara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK's Aid to Nigeria For Fight Boko Haram 250million Pounds In 2014...where Is It by PRD(m): 9:38pm On Jan 15, 2015
A Discussion about the Terror attack on floor of the House of Commons in Uk on the 12th of January has it that Nigeria is well funded to address Terroism...

We are more than stepping up to the crisis. I have said that we have one of the biggest bilateral aid budgets to Nigeria in the world—it is approximately £250 million a year—as well as the additional packages I have just announced. For the diaspora here, that is something of which we can be proud. The hon. Lady said that, given the wealth in Nigeria, Nigerians have the capacity to handle these things, but I disagree. I would say that they should have the capacity to deal with them, but the reality is that they do not. That is why a lot of UK support is going towards helping to build the capacity they need, with direct tactical training and advice to the Nigerian forces. I agree that they should have it, but currently I do not believe that they do.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmhansrd/cm150112/debtext/150112-0001.htm#15011222000003

1 Like

Re: UK's Aid to Nigeria For Fight Boko Haram 250million Pounds In 2014...where Is It by PRD(m): 9:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
Nigeria discussion starts from column 601 in the manuscript...

Extracts from Column605

No one living outside the affected areas in Nigeria should believe for one minute that they are immune to the possible terrorist activities of Boko Haram. As I said, there is an election in February, and presumably there are those who wish to campaign in this large chunk of the country in the north. It is a problem for Nigeria. Yes, we certainly wish that its institutions were stronger, but I think that both the Nigerian Government and the international community are absolutely certain that Boko Haram needs to be routed out, and quickly, before it does further damage within the country and to its vulnerable neighbours.

We have deployed assistance to Nigeria and we will continue to do so, particularly on the intelligence side. I repeat that Nigeria is one of the richest countries in Africa and it spends 20% of its own budget on defence expenditure. In the normal course of events, it should be able to handle these things itself, but it cannot, and that is why we are providing assistance to enable it to do so. Drawing any parallel between what is going on in Syria and Iraq is not useful, if I may say so. This is something localised to Nigeria, and we want to prevent it from spreading across other parts of Africa.
Re: UK's Aid to Nigeria For Fight Boko Haram 250million Pounds In 2014...where Is It by PRD(m): 9:50pm On Jan 15, 2015
Column 609
Members of the Nigerian armed forces have complained that one reason why they cannot defeat Boko Haram militarily is that money destined for equipment has been siphoned off by senior officials. To go back to a question that my hon. Friend the Member for Brent Central (Sarah Teather) asked, what specific action is my right hon. Friend the Minister taking to tackle corruption in Nigeria?

There are allegations of equipment going missing and money not reaching the right place, and unfortunately I believe that all those allegations are founded on truth. That is why we have training teams in Nigeria—to try to build better institutional capacity for a better, more accountable and more transparent military, so that such things do not go on happening.
Re: UK's Aid to Nigeria For Fight Boko Haram 250million Pounds In 2014...where Is It by PRD(m): 9:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
Around Column610

Mr Philip Hollobone (Kettering) (Con): No one can have a sensible discussion about Nigeria unless they consider its exponential population growth. In 1950 there were 33 million Nigerians, and there are now 175 million. The UN’s central estimate for 2100 is that there will be 730 million. One in five Africans is Nigerian, and half the population is under the age of 14. Against the background of that huge demographic instability, is the Minister satisfied that the Foreign Office understands the potential catastrophe for Africa of a successful Islamic insurgency in that country?

Mr Swire: We are extremely concerned about the problem spreading—I have already said that—but let me look at the glass as being half-full, rather than half-empty as my hon. Friend sees it. Nigeria is the richest economy in Africa, and it has huge talent—we have only to look at the Nigerian diaspora in this country to recognise that. It is rich in resources, so there are huge opportunities for it. However, it has endemic problems, such as a disparity of wealth, including a north-south geographical disparity, that is far too great.

I believe that if an incoming Nigerian Government of whatever persuasion in February are determined to invite in the international community in a more open way to help rebuild a modern Nigeria, they can become a shining beacon on the African continent of what such a country can achieve.
Re: UK's Aid to Nigeria For Fight Boko Haram 250million Pounds In 2014...where Is It by PRD(m): 9:57pm On Jan 15, 2015
And Towards the End...

Mr Swire: I simply do not recognise any of that. My hon. Friend talks about photo opportunities and Boko Haram, but there have not been any that I am aware of. We have one of the biggest bilateral aid budgets at £250 million, and we are doing a lot on education and safety in schools in Nigeria. However, Nigeria is a rich country and it needs to be taught to do those things itself. I believe that the UK is at the forefront of trying to assist Nigeria, but we cannot impose assistance if it is not asked for. There is something called sovereignty, which may have escaped my hon. Friend’s notice, and the Nigerian Government are perhaps, as I have said, too slow to ask the international community for help. The United Kingdom should be proud of its record at the forefront of attempts to right some horrible wrongs going on in that country.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Governorship Aspirant, Agbaje, Begs Dangote For N9 Billion Campaign Fund / You Have Not Yet Picked Your PVC Card / Patience Johnathan Paid Thugs To Disorganise APC Rally, Rivers State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.