Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik (44997 Views)

5 Facts You Should Know About The Efik People / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by driand(m): 12:17pm On May 02, 2015
K
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by whitelondon: 12:21pm On May 02, 2015
I for like that kain tradition wella... even make I no marry or date one, make I just dey feed my eyes.. BBW remain d best
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by StarboyMichael(m): 12:21pm On May 02, 2015
Dem dey prepare wife for Rosay
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by ApexTitan(m): 12:24pm On May 02, 2015
Efik men probably had a fetish for BBW back in the days past. That fetish probably must have waned after the marriage aged and excitement of the wedding had waned. By then the realities of a fat wife would have started hitting home, the shortness of breath, the constant sweating(especially in those days without electricity or air conditioners) and the aura of unattractiveness that usually accompanies overweight people would have taken their toll the man's libido.

He must have compensated by over working his imagination, wondering what the supple women of other tribes must feel like, heck he must have considered the young maidens in his land, the ones who weren't eligible yet for the fattening rooms. Ah, to be with a woman whose weight didn't get in the way of the indulgence of this very primal urge... These thoughts must have crossed his mind. Alas he was stuck in a society that had directed that overweight women were desirable, how dare he break free. The women would not allow it, they had successfully turned a condition that ordinarily should have counted against them into an advantage - by being fat they (according to custom) still had some currency in the attraction marketplace. Afterall wasn't it the man that said he wanted big booty?

The Efik man of today must really be thankful for evolving customs. smiley
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Goddyj(m): 12:25pm On May 02, 2015
But their backyard dey kill o
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by pamcode(m): 12:31pm On May 02, 2015
wao i once read about it in a novel, so it efik sha,
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Mannylex(m): 12:34pm On May 02, 2015
Efik girls rock... But OP your wrong! They weren't taken to the fattening room to be "Obese" but to add weight. obese is something else entirely... And its Ekpang kukwo not "Ekpang Koko"

Efik Eburutu.....

Have no fear; Mannylex is here

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Taich(m): 12:36pm On May 02, 2015
Nice write up. African culture took care of the family, that's why we have low divorce rate. Our Oyibo Oga don't have time to tutor any bride on her role just go in there, if u don't like what u see get out. Chikina no long turunchi

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by billyG(m): 12:48pm On May 02, 2015
After d fattening,how much is d price of 1 pig?

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by MGeey(f): 12:53pm On May 02, 2015
The OP forgot to include teachings on how to satisfy a man in/outside of bed.
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by orzborn001(m): 1:01pm On May 02, 2015
Iyalasisi:
I dodge dat kain tradition abeg.... I dey try make I no blow pass as I dey, one yeye tradition go come blow me up shocked

I no gree oh!

Pix looking great
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by MrHighSea: 1:05pm On May 02, 2015
Redoil:
Somebody should please introduce me to any type of food to eat, any type of indian hemp to smoke and any type of strong drink to drink for me to fat?
dnt worry, welcm to #teamectomorph. GMB z our chairman. Ikpa, just live ur life, tek gud k of d big blokos dt cms wit it. Beans up, gym up, n cheer up.
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Nicepoker(m): 1:06pm On May 02, 2015
Iyalasisi:
I dodge dat kain tradition abeg.... I dey try make I no blow pass as I dey, one yeye tradition go come blow me up shocked

I no gree oh!
that kind tradition has gone into extinction. Now its by choice no one will ever force u to do it.

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by wahalababe(f): 1:06pm On May 02, 2015
get ur facts right. the efik ARENOT domiciled in LARGE parts of Akwa Ibom Stateget ur facts right. the efik ARENOT domiciled in LARGE parts of Akwa Ibom Stateget ur facts right. the efik ARENOT domiciled in LARGE parts of Akwa Ibom State

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by wahalababe(f): 1:11pm On May 02, 2015
Mannylex:
And its Ekpang kukwo not "Ekpang Koko"

its actually Ekpang Nkukwo
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Sugardiva(f): 1:40pm On May 02, 2015
wahalababe:
get ur facts right. the efik ARENOT domiciled in LARGE parts of Akwa Ibom Stateget ur facts right. the efik ARENOT domiciled in LARGE parts of Akwa Ibom Stateget ur facts right. the efik ARENOT domiciled in LARGE parts of Akwa Ibom State

tell him! Still can't figure out why it's so difficult for other peeps to differentiate between the two states.

@ OP MBOK THERE ARE NO EFIKs IN AKWA IBOM STATE

4 Likes

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by cocoberry(f): 1:40pm On May 02, 2015
Bitter Soul!!!

billyG:
After d fattening,how much is d price of 1 pig?
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Redoil: 1:53pm On May 02, 2015
MrHighSea:
dnt worry, welcm to #teamectomorph. GMB z our chairman. Ikpa, just live ur life, tek gud k of d big blokos dt cms wit it. Beans up, gym up, n cheer up.
stop sniffing that sh.it
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Mannylex(m): 2:10pm On May 02, 2015
wahalababe:
its actually Ekpang Nkukwo
Ladies own the Kitchen, so I'll accept the correction... Are you an efik lady?

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by mmsen: 2:12pm On May 02, 2015
Kentrasso:

Do they think of the serious health issues that come with being obese?

Sadly at the time that these practices became the fashion they were more worried about ensuring that the woman could withstand the rigours of childbirth.

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Mannylex(m): 2:13pm On May 02, 2015
Sugardiva:

tell him! Still can't figure out why it's so difficult for other peeps to differentiate between the two states.

@ OP MBOK THERE ARE NO EFIKs IN AKWA IBOM STATE

Please tell him....

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by wahalababe(f): 2:17pm On May 02, 2015
Mannylex:

Ladies own the Kitchen, so I'll accept the correction... Are you an efik lady?

i am frm aks n there are no efik in aks

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Ihuomadinihu: 2:18pm On May 02, 2015
Nice pictures and culture. Is this fattening room still practiced?
Anyway, from the pre colonial and colonial pictures of Igbo,being fat was not really popular. Girls were not necessarily forced to eat and grow fat,they were told that being moderately curvy was ok. Fattening rooms were also practiced by igbos,it was not meant for the girls to grow fat and out of shape. It's popularly called 'iru mgbede' in igbo language(Southern Igbo).

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Glowstone(m): 2:48pm On May 02, 2015
Alphaoscar:
I can even date a fat lady talkless of marrying one. They just don't look attractive and they can be soooooo lazy.

LAZY?

YOU never meet. Anyone that will be lazy will be lazy wether fat or slim

And you might be surprise that there are fat people that are very hardworking
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by dewstar: 5:04pm On May 02, 2015
I've always loved big women. I won't call it fat, a rounded figure it is.

Most fat 'white' women are not a good sight to look at, so that is an exception for me.

I do not admire lekper(thin) girls and there is nothing physically beautiful about Abdgani Darego apart from her face.

Team BBW.
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 02, 2015
Leez:

Sk and magic moments(no add juice o) will make u soooooooooo fat
what is sk and magic moments??
Am also interested!
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by dewstar: 5:21pm On May 02, 2015
ApexTitan:
Efik men probably had a fetish for BBW back in the days past. That fetish probably must have waned after the marriage aged and excitement of the wedding had waned. By then the realities of a fat wife would have started hitting home, the shortness of breath, the constant sweating(especially in those days without electricity or air conditioners) and the aura of unattractiveness that usually accompanies overweight people would have taken their toll the man's libido.

He must have compensated by over working his imagination, wondering what the supple women of other tribes must feel like, heck he must have considered the young maidens in his land, the ones who weren't eligible yet for the fattening rooms. Ah, to be with a woman whose weight didn't get in the way of the indulgence of this very primal urge... These thoughts must have crossed his mind. Alas he was stuck in a society that had directed that overweight women were desirable, how dare he break free. The women would not allow it, they had successfully turned a condition that ordinarily should have counted against them into an advantage - by being fat they (according to custom) still had some currency in the attraction marketplace. Afterall wasn't it the man that said he wanted big booty?

The Efik man of today must really be thankful for evolving customs. smiley

Evolving culture that also pushes you to a corner that directs that thin women are the true example of a beautiful woman.
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by ApexTitan(m): 5:41pm On May 02, 2015
dewstar:

Evolving culture that also pushes you to a corner that directs that thin women are the true example of a beautiful woman.

When culture synchronises with the Natural order then we will all rejoice evermore, but as it is, it is still a way off. The process of evolution continues. That said, anorexia or overly thin women are just as undesirable as overweight women and thankfully people who subscribe to this concept of beauty are in the minority. What is really sought after between the extremes that anorexia and obesity represent lies in the middle, that healthy lean woman who is fat in all the right places. wink

I still think that the Efik man in my previous post is happy that that part of his culture is past.
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by ezeagu(m): 7:25pm On May 02, 2015
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Ihuomadinihu: 8:02pm On May 02, 2015
ezeagu:
Before

After

From: http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/26928663007/seclusion-of-girls-among-the-efik-old-calabar
Efik attire didn't really change unlike Igbo. We need to revive our native attire.

1 Like

Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by LaRoyalHighness(f): 8:23pm On May 02, 2015
smileyYours Truely...
Re: The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 02, 2015
Hahahahaha.........please come and fatten me o........lmao grin

Ezeagu that transformation is pure magic cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Things Igbo People Like. / Ubang, Cross River, Nigerian Village Where Men & Women Speak Different Languages / Photos Ooni Of Ife Before The Crown With His beautiful Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.