Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? (2320 Views)

Toddler Dies After Eating Poisoned Rice (pictures Of Suspects) / Two Dead, One Blind After Eating ‘Forbidden’ Fish In Ebonyi / Five Confirmed Dead After Eating Dog Meat In Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by MsFaith: 2:00pm On Jan 21, 2015
Good day Nairalanders!

Some days back my mom, my sister and I argued over the cause of flatulence when we eat beans. My mom always insisted that the beans should be per boiled (first cook for a while and drain the coloured water) as that is the cause of gassing. But I argued with her telling her I was taught in sec school (foods and nutrition class) that the cause was actually the skin of the beans that is why when moi moi is prepared with skin of the beans peeled we don't tend to gas.

Food scientists pls clarify and share knowledge. Your contributions will be very much appreciated without any insults. Thanks!
Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by SAMBARRY: 2:06pm On Jan 21, 2015
the gas inside beans is always much thats why your body takes the quantity it needs and expells out the ones it doesnt
Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by Dahjhi: 2:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
Had few experience on food nutrition.. But beans is just that food people have different reactions to as regards to digestive system.. We have people who can eat it four times without flatulence and we have people who can't take a spoon without doing so.. Maybe its so called nutritional value dough.
Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 21, 2015
MsFaith:
Good day Nairalanders!

Some days back my mom, my sister and I argued over the cause of flatulence when we eat beans. My mom always insisted that the beans should be per boiled (first cook for a while and drain the coloured water) as that is the cause of gassing. But I argued with her telling her I was taught in sec school (foods and nutrition class) that the cause was actually the skin of the beans that is why when moi moi is prepared with skin of the beans peeled we don't tend to gas.

Food scientists pls clarify and share knowledge. Your contributions will be very much appreciated without any insults. Thanks!
It depends on the type of been. It also helps to rid water used to soak. Also, when cooking boil it dry instead of draining after cooking. I think its the hormones produced as the beans take in water.

1 Like

Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by herald9: 3:36pm On Jan 21, 2015
This shiiit always purge me each time I eat it...but who cares...That's my best food undecided

3 Likes

Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by MsFaith: 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2015
muafrika:
It depends on the type of been. It also helps to rid water used to soak. Also, when cooking boil it dry instead of draining after cooking. I think its the hormones produced as the beans take in water.

thanks muafrika. But when you say boil it dry what if I want the beans soft and a little watery, how do I boil it dry
Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 21, 2015
MsFaith:

thanks muafrika. But when you say boil it dry what if I want the beans soft and a little watery, how do I boil it dry
Like wise.

Some people are not harmed by that soup. But for sensitive stomachs, you just have to avoid that water.

You can cook it even softer when you fry, but add fresh water, other than the one it cooked in.

1 Like

Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by Anyigor21(f): 10:42pm On Jan 21, 2015
It happened to me yesterday, and that was the first time it happened. What i think causes it , is when the beans didnt digest. I mean the lactose did not digest.
Re: What Causes Flatulence After Eating Beans? by winta2007(m): 4:36pm On Jan 24, 2015
If the range of flatulence is much That is protein Intolerance,you do not have the needed enzyme to digest protein in your body,it is an inborn error,may be you can try to remove the back of the beans before cooking it,that will reduce the rate of your rate of flatulence.

(1) (Reply)

Antidote To Food Poison : A Must Read For All / What Do Call This In Your Language? / This Food Looks Like A Woman.. Pic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.