Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Nigeria Law For Divorce - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigeria Law For Divorce (45877 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Top Ten Reason For Divorce In 2012 / Attacked By Father- In -law For Catching My Wife Having An Affair. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Law For Divorce by luvjones: 12:33am On Aug 19, 2006
Hi everyone. 
Somebody please help me.  Does Nigeria have a judicial system to legally grant divorce as the Law in the United States? A man I'm dating from Nigeria says that he and his wife are automatically divorced according to Nigerian Law because they've been separated for at least two years.  I've fallen in love and I'm considering marrying this man and I want to make sure we have a legal marriage in the U.S. and he doesn't still have a legal wife back in Nigeria.  Thank you.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by chinani(f): 10:29pm On Aug 19, 2006
No.

In fact hell no!

But this is b/c the Nigerian penal code isn't designed for private matters such as divorce. Divorce is still uber taboo in Nigeria though it does happen. I think this man is telling you stories.

Is he in the UK while his wife is in Nigeria? If so, they're prolly still together & he's just shining his kobo with you. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Idekeson(m): 12:35am On Aug 20, 2006
Check out matrimonial causes under the Nigerian law.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Marriage%20Act.htm
http://www.nigeria-law.org/Marriages%20(Validation)%20Act.htm
http://www.nigeria-law.org/Matrimonial%20Causes%20Act.htm
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by gigitte(f): 2:55am On Aug 20, 2006
i wouldnt say divorce is uber taboo
a taboo but uber? haba now lol
its just very quiet and nobody really talks about it when it happens
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by chinani(f): 10:19pm On Aug 20, 2006
gigitte:

i wouldnt say divorce is uber taboo
a taboo but uber? haba now lol
its just very quiet and nobody really talks about it when it happens

LOL. ok, I rescind my uber.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by mamaput(f): 10:18am On Aug 21, 2006
It all depends on how he got married.
If he got married the traditional way then he can bring no proof he is divorce to you . No written proof. Then its a family thing and he needs a good reason.
If he got married in court, then he has to file for a divorce its similar to British law.
If he got married in the church , then according to the law of the church.
But it is possible that some of these forms of marrage are not even recognized in the states.
Go to your marrage registry and find out.
There are so many Nigerians that are separated from there wives for long time.
But I have never heard of an automatic devoice. never in my whole life.
In Germany you have to be separated for a year and then get the divorce
But Nigerian men do not dump their wives because of an other woman , they try to keep both
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by gigitte(f): 10:25am On Aug 21, 2006
maybe her bobo is a moslem and he sent his wife a text message saying i divorce you three times!
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by ono(m): 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2006
mamaput:

But Nigerian men do not dump their wives because of another woman , they try to keep both

LOL. Makes Nigerian men have a penchant for Polygamy if you ask me. And I know this is very true. Funny.

Nice to be back in family board after all these months.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Radiant(f): 10:26pm On Aug 21, 2006
luvjones:

Hi everyone. 
Somebody please help me.  Does Nigeria have a judicial system to legally grant divorce as the Law in the United States? A man I'm dating from Nigeria says that he and his wife are automatically divorced according to Nigerian Law because they've been separated for at least two years.  I've fallen in love and I'm considering marrying this man and I want to make sure we have a legal marriage in the U.S. and he doesn't still have a legal wife back in Nigeria.  Thank you.

umm, due to my past  experience, I'll like to ask u some questions,ok?
1. where do u reside?
2. if in the US, have u got a US citizenship?
3. is the guy a US citizen or plain green passport holder? lipsrsealed

Umm, like mamaput said, there's nothin like "automatic divorce" even in the Nigerian law. I know that for u to get a divorce, u must have a very strong reason and evidence is a must if u want a fast process. If you don't have any strong reason, u have to be seperated for atleast 2 years before u can get a divorce (UK law). I'll hint you on the rest of the matter but answer those questions , ok?, take care  smiley
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by hotangel2(f): 11:29pm On Aug 21, 2006
"Automatically divorced"? SOunds like Child story to me.

Now what you need to do, is Make sure that this guy isn't trying to marrying you just because he wants to "get" something from you.

You should answer radiant's question, cos those were the first things that came to my head.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Oracle(m): 11:54pm On Aug 21, 2006
Thatz right hot angie
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by donjazzie(m): 12:20am On Aug 22, 2006
hot-angel:

"Automatically divorced"? SOunds like Child story to me.

Now what you need to do, is Make sure that this guy isn't trying to marrying you just because he wants to "get" something from you.

You should answer radiant's question, because those were the first things that came to my head.

TRUE!
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by VOR(m): 12:58am On Aug 22, 2006
Personally I think the guy is spinning you a load of crap.

If he was married to his wife in Nigeria according to the act ,i.e Nigerian Law
then he or his wife would still have to file for a divorce. Being separated and
living apart for two years may well be a ground for divorce but he would not
automatically be granted a divorce by the court.

If he married you without being granted a divorce he would be entering
into a bigamous relationship which I am sure you know is a criminal offence.

Be very wary and try to look well, well before you leap.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by BlackMamba(m): 1:31am On Aug 22, 2006
Radiant:

umm, due to my past experience, I'll like to ask u some questions,ok?
1. where do u reside?
2. if in the US, have u got a US citizenship?
3. is the guy a US citizen or plain green passport holder?

What has citizenship and residency got to do with getting a valid divorce under the Nigerian law?
Inasmuch as there are no "automatic" divorce under the Marriage Act, it may be possible to obtain an automatic divorce after a 2 years separation under one of the many diverse customary marriages that remain valid under the Nigerian Law.
You need to find out if your man was previously married under the Marriage Act or Customary/Muslim law. Customary marriage/divorce is based on tradition and there are no documentations.
Above all these advice, is for you to ask yourself if you really want to marry a man you obviously don't trust enough. No paper proof can give you that emotional security you're seeking.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by chinani(f): 4:29am On Aug 22, 2006
BlackMamba:

it may be possible to obtain an automatic divorce after a 2 years separation under one of the many diverse customary marriages that remain valid under the Nigerian Law.
Naw, if that was true, do you think half the senators & governors would still have wives? Think about who writes these laws. . .think about how many Nigerian couples bear lengthy separations for a multitude of reasons.

How you are Hot A? smiley
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by hotangel2(f): 5:07am On Aug 22, 2006
BlackMamba:

What has citizenship and residency got to do with getting a valid divorce under the Nigerian law?

Sweetie, here's what it has to do with it.

If the guy is a citizen of America, then the probability that he's only telling her all these stories, just so he could marry her and use her to get his citizenship would be "zero".

@ chinani, im doing alrite, u havent been arround for a while now. how u doing?
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by chinani(f): 5:16am On Aug 22, 2006
hot-angel:

@ chinani, im doing alrite, u havent been arround for a while now. how u doing?
I'm fine. Doing better everyday.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by ZuluNation(m): 5:18am On Aug 22, 2006
I thank God say NL no dey the time way I get my Green card, see as una just the pour sand for this man garri. If this oyinbo woman read all this thing way una the write she go run ooo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Radiant(f): 3:37pm On Aug 22, 2006
BlackMamba:

[quote][/quote]
Mr man, i can't believe your question u know.
Here we go! If she's got a US citizenship, then he could want to marry her to get his own green card. Now, if she's just residing there and working or schooling, then he obviously is wasting his time 'cause he ain't going to get nothing from her. (Tho' the story sounds like he wants to get something from her)
She should first of all answer those questions so we can all be sure exactly what's going on.Besides, the issue is "automatically divorced" and not getting a "valid divorce under the nigerian law" shocked
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Remmzy(m): 8:35pm On Aug 22, 2006
@ topic all opinions flows well
Radiant:

Mr man, i can't believe your question u know.
Here we go! If she's got a US citizenship, then he could want to marry her to get his own green card. Now, if she's just residing there and working or schooling, then he obviously is wasting his time 'cause he ain't going to get nothing from her. (Tho' the story sounds like he wants to get something from her)
She should first of all answer those questions so we can all be sure exactly what's going on.Besides, the issue is "automatically divorced" and not getting a "valid divorce under the nigerian law" shocked
but mine; WATCH B4 YOU LEAP GEE  grin, some times Lust appears love from a distance. Use whole Five sense, not just hear him say am dis or dat lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by BlackMamba(m): 8:40pm On Aug 22, 2006
You guys should please stop passing judgment on assumptions. Luvjones asked a simple question. Does the divorce law in Nigeria apply to the facts she got from her man, period? She never asked any of you to analyze the guy's intentions.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by dennylove(m): 10:02pm On Aug 22, 2006
BLACKMAMBA,that's nigeria mentality for you, you go ask them something, them go answer you with another thing.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by pati(f): 10:29pm On Aug 22, 2006
i think he is lying because in Nigeria divorce is not as easy as it is in the state. Does he have a green card? grin
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Busta(f): 1:14am On Aug 23, 2006
dunno bout Nigerian laws thats if they have any but gurl, "watch b4 u leap"
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Radiant(f): 10:04pm On Aug 23, 2006
@ black mamba and dennyluv na una know for there o grin me i still deh ask, the guy get papers? grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by dennylove(m): 1:27am On Aug 24, 2006
haba, how him no go get green card? you want U.S to repatrite the guy come back?
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Radiant(f): 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2006
lovejones, where u @? u not sayin anythin again? Dennyluv hold on until she replies ok smiley
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by iice(f): 10:01am On Aug 27, 2006
Divorce happens but sometimes it's just separation and some consider it divorce and then move on and marry again cheesy
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by otokx(m): 11:03am On Aug 27, 2006
shine your eye shocked
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by eselove(f): 3:56pm On Sep 03, 2006
you are too special to be fooled. ensure he is divorced before you take any step further. delay is not denail. if you want your dream of a happy marriage to come true and last for long then go the extra mile to be very sure about his marital status.
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by Ndipe(m): 10:48am On Feb 03, 2007
Why marry a divorced man? He still belongs to his 'former' wife till 'death do them part'
Re: Nigeria Law For Divorce by JustGood(m): 2:08pm On Feb 07, 2007
Hi everyone.
Somebody please help me. Does Nigeria have a judicial system to legally grant divorce as the Law in the United States? A man I'm dating from Nigeria says that he and his wife are automatically divorced according to Nigerian Law because they've been separated for at least two years. I've fallen in love and I'm considering marrying this man and I want to make sure we have a legal marriage in the U.S. and he doesn't still have a legal wife back in Nigeria. Thank you.
you no know the man well.
you no know him family
you no know him country

but you dey fall in love and you want marry. eye clear you so?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See What A Father Did To His Daughter.....pics Not Appealing *beware* / N100,000: How would You Share This Between Your Parents? / Man Reveals The Length He Went To Make His Independent Wife Submissive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.