Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,848 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram (1759 Views)

Militants & Cultists Surrender Their Weapons To Okorocha In Owerri (Photos) / Ukraine Confirms Export Of Weapons To Nigeria In Fight Against Boko Haram (Pic) / China And Russia Send Sophisticated War Weapons To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by EKONGKING: 2:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
Stories of Nigerian soldiers running away from Boko Haram militants have been widely reported - but low on ammunition and allocated vehicles that don't work, a former soldier says they are being outgunned and overpowered.

"Imagine me and you are fighting," the soldier tells me. "We both have guns but while you are wearing a bullet proof vest, I'm carrying an umbrella."

It is his way of explaining that the fight against Boko Haram is being undermined because the jihadists are often far better equipped than the soldiers.

Abiona is 40 years old and has been in the Nigerian army since he was 17. Or I should say had been, because along with more than 200 others he was dismissed last week for disobeying orders. He was accused of fleeing rather than fighting but says it was a tactical withdrawal.

He has survived several battles, in fact he sounds quite fearless, and wants to tell me about serious problems he encountered in the military.

"I've committed no crime why should I be scared?" Abiona says. "I don't carry a gun or knife. My only weapon is my mouth."

I have heard many reports of Boko Haram attacks where the soldiers ended up running away with the civilians. Traumatized parents separated from their children during the chaos have described to me how they saw troops pulling off their uniforms and fleeing. This is a rare chance to hear from the soldiers themselves.

"It was 10:30 at night," says Abiona remembering one battle in Borno State. "Suddenly we saw Boko Haram very close to our trenches. Those of us with machine guns started firing and I can tell you that was a bad day for Boko Haram. We killed more than 80 of them." After the night-long battle his soldiers were low on ammunition but when they urgently called for more supplies each soldier was given just 10 rounds. Not surprisingly, the next encounter was disastrous.

"Two days later Boko Haram were back," he tells me. "This time they had about 24 four-wheel drive vehicles, some with anti-aircraft guns mounted on them."

Soldiers in Baga, Nigeria
Outgunned and with colleagues being shot dead around him, Abiona says they retreated and spent the next 11 hours on the run as the jihadists pursued them through the bush.

There were other problems. He tells me about armoured vehicles that were in such poor mechanical condition they would just produce smoke and wouldn't move.

During another encounter with the enemy in Adamawa State he says there were military vehicles that ran out of fuel.

"What did you do?" I ask. "We had to abandon them and walk. You can't carry them on your head," was his blunt reply. Boko Haram seized the vehicles. Then in the battle for a place called Bazza he says their guns proved no match for the jihadists' firepower and so they again beat a hasty retreat.

"They overpowered us and many died. Our mortars and rocket-propelled grenades wouldn't even explode they were so old," says Ibrahim, another dismissed soldier who was in Bazza, adding: "Because of the corruption in the nation it makes everything run down."

The soldiers say they have learned that better equipment has recently been supplied to the troops but overall it seems the security situation is getting worse.

Just over 18 months ago, I watched President Goodluck Jonathan address the nation on TV as he declared a state of emergency in the north east of Nigeria and promised a massive military operation against the jihadists.

Within a few weeks I was bouncing along sandy tracks with the Nigerian military who were keen to show me some success.

We reached the just-liberated village of Marte, close to Lake Chad - along with a couple of other remote settlements it had been briefly held by Boko Haram. I met people who were mightily relieved that the black and white jihadist flags were no longer flying and were hopeful that schools would soon reopen. Back then it looked like Boko Haram would never hold territory again.

This week I managed to get through on the phone to one of the people I'd met there. "Where are you?" I asked Abba. "We are all in Maiduguri city. There's not a single person left in Marte now. We all ran away with nothing but the clothes we were wearing," he said.

His village is back in the hands of Boko Haram but as a sign of just how disastrous the military campaign has been, huge swathes of north-east Nigeria are now in the hands of the jihadists

Some may call the soldiers I met cowards. Others will say they were poorly equipped and badly let down.

"I just thank God I'm alive," Ibrahim tells me, adding: "But I pray for our colleagues who died - we couldn't carry their corpses away. May their souls rest in peace."

2 Likes

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by EKONGKING: 2:45pm On Jan 22, 2015
Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Horus(m): 2:52pm On Jan 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxPK6xdukQ

[size=15pt]Nigerian Army And Civilians Fleeing From Boko Haram[/size]

Captured by a resident of Mubi, Adamawa State, this video shows Nigerian soldiers
and civilians fleeing a massive Boko Haram attack
Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by falconey(m): 3:09pm On Jan 22, 2015
I tire
Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Change2015(m): 3:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
And we have a government with trillion naira budgets? Smdh

#change
#GMB
#APC

3 Likes

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Blakjewelry(m): 3:21pm On Jan 22, 2015
Many of these soldiers dey lie, men you need to watch the baga videos see arms wey bh seize, it is enough to sustain army for weeks if not months. It is either they are under manned or something is greatly wrong

6 Likes

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Sagamite(m): 6:42pm On Jan 22, 2015
EKONGKING:

Stories of Nigerian soldiers running away from Boko Haram militants have been widely reported - but low on ammunition and allocated vehicles that don't work, a former soldier says they are being outgunned and overpowered.

"Imagine me and you are fighting," the soldier tells me. "We both have guns but while you are wearing a bullet proof vest, I'm carrying an umbrella."

It is his way of explaining that the fight against Boko Haram is being undermined because the jihadists are often far better equipped than the soldiers.

Abiona is 40 years old and has been in the Nigerian army since he was 17. Or I should say had been, because along with more than 200 others he was dismissed last week for disobeying orders. He was accused of fleeing rather than fighting but says it was a tactical withdrawal.

He has survived several battles, in fact he sounds quite fearless, and wants to tell me about serious problems he encountered in the military.

"I've committed no crime why should I be scared?" Abiona says. "I don't carry a gun or knife. My only weapon is my mouth."

I have heard many reports of Boko Haram attacks where the soldiers ended up running away with the civilians. Traumatized parents separated from their children during the chaos have described to me how they saw troops pulling off their uniforms and fleeing. This is a rare chance to hear from the soldiers themselves.

"It was 10:30 at night," says Abiona remembering one battle in Borno State. "Suddenly we saw Boko Haram very close to our trenches. Those of us with machine guns started firing and I can tell you that was a bad day for Boko Haram. We killed more than 80 of them." After the night-long battle his soldiers were low on ammunition but when they urgently called for more supplies each soldier was given just 10 rounds. Not surprisingly, the next encounter was disastrous.

"Two days later Boko Haram were back," he tells me. "This time they had about 24 four-wheel drive vehicles, some with anti-aircraft guns mounted on them."

Soldiers in Baga, Nigeria
Outgunned and with colleagues being shot dead around him, Abiona says they retreated and spent the next 11 hours on the run as the jihadists pursued them through the bush.

There were other problems. He tells me about armoured vehicles that were in such poor mechanical condition they would just produce smoke and wouldn't move.

During another encounter with the enemy in Adamawa State he says there were military vehicles that ran out of fuel.

"What did you do?" I ask. "We had to abandon them and walk. You can't carry them on your head," was his blunt reply. Boko Haram seized the vehicles. Then in the battle for a place called Bazza he says their guns proved no match for the jihadists' firepower and so they again beat a hasty retreat.

"They overpowered us and many died. Our mortars and rocket-propelled grenades wouldn't even explode they were so old," says Ibrahim, another dismissed soldier who was in Bazza, adding: "Because of the corruption in the nation it makes everything run down."

The soldiers say they have learned that better equipment has recently been supplied to the troops but overall it seems the security situation is getting worse.

Just over 18 months ago, I watched President Goodluck Jonathan address the nation on TV as he declared a state of emergency in the north east of Nigeria and promised a massive military operation against the jihadists.

Within a few weeks I was bouncing along sandy tracks with the Nigerian military who were keen to show me some success.

We reached the just-liberated village of Marte, close to Lake Chad - along with a couple of other remote settlements it had been briefly held by Boko Haram. I met people who were mightily relieved that the black and white jihadist flags were no longer flying and were hopeful that schools would soon reopen. Back then it looked like Boko Haram would never hold territory again.

This week I managed to get through on the phone to one of the people I'd met there. "Where are you?" I asked Abba. "We are all in Maiduguri city. There's not a single person left in Marte now. We all ran away with nothing but the clothes we were wearing," he said.

His village is back in the hands of Boko Haram but as a sign of just how disastrous the military campaign has been, huge swathes of north-east Nigeria are now in the hands of the jihadists

Some may call the soldiers I met cowards. Others will say they were poorly equipped and badly let down.

"I just thank God I'm alive," Ibrahim tells me, adding: "But I pray for our colleagues who died - we couldn't carry their corpses away. May their souls rest in peace."

GEJ for Life!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Boasting about how he would QUASH Boko Haram "soon" but instead of equipping soldiers, they are carrying money in suitcases in a pastors private jet to loot. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Sagamite(m): 6:45pm On Jan 22, 2015
Blakjewelry:
Many of these soldiers dey lie, men you need to watch the baga videos see arms wey bh seize, it is enough to sustain army for weeks if not months. It is either they are outmaned or something is greatly wrong

You are a fuuktard!

Which military college did you graduate from to know how much arms can last an army for weeks?

You counted the number of people the arms you saw was meant for?

Moronic product of a failed education system.

1 Like

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by walton1(m): 6:55pm On Jan 22, 2015
have you seen the arms and ammunitions that boko haram recovered from baga? it took them over two days to be assembling them, and you tell me the Nigerian Army is unequipped?
except there is a sabotage from there commanders in charge of the ammunitions.

1 Like

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Blakjewelry(m): 7:25pm On Jan 22, 2015
Sagamite:

You are a fuuktard!

Which military college did you graduate from to know how much arms can last an amy for weeks?

You counted the number of people the arms you saw was meant for?I

Like your moniker you sound like a sag cunt fool. Did you watch the video to see the amount of arms, ammunition these guys left to bh before sounding like one pus*y waiting to get fu*ked. Or didn't you read were I said maybe they were under manned

6 Likes

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Sagamite(m): 11:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Like your moniker you sound like a sag cunt fool. Did you watch the video to see the amount of arms, ammunition these guys left to bh before sounding like one pus*y waiting to get fu*ked. Or didn't you read were I said maybe they were under manned

You are a cretinous person!

So by looking at a video, you can count ammunition and know if it is sufficient for an army and army operation? You cound tell if it was the right type for the operation and superior to what the enemy has?

Who are you?

GI Fuuktard?
Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Blakjewelry(m): 12:10am On Jan 23, 2015
Sagamite:

You are a cretinous person!

So by looking at a video, you can count ammunition and know if it is sufficient for an army and army operation? You cound tell if it was the right type for the operation and superior to what the enemy has?

Who are you?

GI Fuuktard?
Guy your mumu no get boundary oo, an it seems you just heard the word you keep using. By the way is your father of those Runaway soldiers?

4 Likes

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Horus(m): 1:15pm On Jan 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBMu99Y9R1I

[size=15pt]Nigerian Soldiers talk to CNN on Boko Haram fight[/size]

Some Nigerian soldiers have spoken to CNN and they claimed that they are being outgunned by Boko Haram and that they had to buy their combat kit themselves, pay their medical bills themselves and that the morale of the troops is currently very low.
Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Sagamite(m): 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Guy your mumu no get boundary oo, an it seems you just heard the word you keep using. By the way is your father of those Runaway soldiers?

You are a cretinous fuuktard!

Dimwit, tell us how you knew from a video the ammunitions were enough.

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Blakjewelry(m): 5:20pm On Jan 23, 2015
Sagamite:

Wasted sperm no need to argue with you, it is better your father use a condom or jerkoff the the night you were conceived

1 Like

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by BlackTechnology: 5:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
APC educated illiterates

Watch the attack on Baga and you will see the quantities of weapons captured by BH

Those ammo can help an army division with good fire discipline fight for 1 month. angry

Sagamite:

Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBMu99Y9R1I

[size=15pt]Nigerian Soldiers talk to CNN on Boko Haram fight[/size]

Some Nigerian soldiers have spoken to CNN and they claimed that they are being outgunned by Boko Haram and that they had to buy their combat kit themselves, pay their medical bills themselves and that the morale of the troops is currently very low.
Change2015:
And we have a government with trillion naira budgets? Smdh

#change
#GMB
#APC
falconey:
I tire

1 Like

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by suretman(m): 5:56pm On Jan 23, 2015
Apart from Ammunitions, this soldiers also lack encouragement..

Imagine our President visiting the wounded Soldiers and telling them "Sorry Ehn"

That's Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by BlackTechnology: 5:59pm On Jan 23, 2015
suretman:
Apart from Ammunitions, this soldiers also lack encouragement..

Imagine our President visiting the wounded Soldiers and telling them "Sorry Ehn"

That's Nonsense!

If you have not watched the attack on Baga please keep quiet cool

2 Likes

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by suretman(m): 6:06pm On Jan 23, 2015
BlackTechnology:

If you have not watched the attack on Baga please keep quiet cool

I have watched it.. And how those that affect my opinion..

Please if you haven't watched Jonathan visit to the wounded soldiers and telling them "Sorry Ehn" Please kindly keep quiet

1 Like

Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by femicyrus(m): 6:24pm On Jan 23, 2015
I thought buhari's certificate is more important than this thread
Re: The Soldiers Without Enough Weapons To Fight Boko Haram by Sagamite(m): 5:47am On Jan 24, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Wasted sperm no need to argue with you, it is better your father use a condom or jerkoff the the night you were conceived

Instead of defending you fucktadism, you decided to tell us what your father did wrong and ended up producing you (a worthless fuuktard)? grin grin grin

BlackTechnology:
APC educated illiterates

Watch the attack on Baga and you will see the quantities of weapons captured by BH

Those ammo can help an army division with good fire discipline fight for 1 month. angry

So you counted from a video clip the quantity of weapon that would last an army division for 1 month?

How many times did you fail to get 5 Cs at SSCE?

F9 student!!!

(1) (Reply)

Vladimir Putin Russian President 'missing' / Now The Comedy Has Begun...buhari And His Cow Declaration / You Want A Reduction In FG Allocation But Are Against Resource Control

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.