Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,911 members, 7,835,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results (6874 Views)

Dino Melaye's ABU Statement Of Results (Photo) / Buhari’s Statement On Aisha Is A Wake Up Call For Women – Senator Olujimi / Social Media Reactions To Aisha Buhari Statement On Edo Prostitutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Jarus(m): 10:42pm On Jan 22, 2015
I have watched with keen interest the new round of controversies that were triggered by supporters of President Goodluck Jonathan on the Social Media over the veracity of the results released by Government College, Katsina. The arguments defy common sense and they are not worth replying in a formal medium like a newspaper OP-ED page. However, seeing that even well respected citizens like a senior lawyer that was on Channels TV the morning of the day the result was published in national dailies, not getting this basic fact, it becomes imperative to offer some explanations to the questions raised. I will take them one by one.

One, that this is a statement of result, not certificate.

Do people know the meaning of certificate at all? Certificate is issued in one copy, and by the examining body, not the school, which is a mere examination center. My WASSCE certificate, issued by the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) in 2000, after showing my details, says “having been in attendance of the following recognized school…”. This follows what should be common knowledge that, it is the examining body, not the school, that issues results, and the result is the property of the student, not the school. What the school issues is statement of result which is copied from the result mastersheet also supplied by the examining body to the school, and retained by the school. It is this masterlist that is the property of the school.

Of course, schools may – and that is common now – keep photocopies of the certificates for their own records, but that is just a cautionary approach for acknowledgment, it doesn’t override a more compact masterlist which is what is for the school for keeps. And I can pardon a school that did not photocopy the originals of certificates handed to students in 1961 – in a core northern school for that matter, at a time when education was just picking up in that part of the country. Even if copies were kept, it is also pardonable that such results may not be found in 2015. How many public schools can produce 1951 records?

Certificate, it should be noted again, is issued by the examining body, not the school. It is only a statement of result that a school issues, and that is what was published by Buhari’s school. A statement of result can be issued as many times as possible since it is just by copying the information on the masterlist sent to it by the examining body.

Two, that the result carried a 2015, not 1961, date.

Simple: Does anyone expect the current principal to use 1961 as date for a re-issued statement of result? If you completed secondary education 50 years ago and, due to loss of the initial copy you were issued, you applied for another one today, do you expect the current principal to backdate the issue date to 1961? Of course, the current principal could not have been the one that issued the initial copy 50 years ago. Do you expect him to go and invite the principal of the school 50 years ago to come and sign – even if we assume he is alive? Is it not the current principal that will sign? Do you expect the principal in 2015 to backdate to 1961, when he may not even have been born?

Three, why are we seeing A1, B2, B3 etc, a recent grading system, on the published statement?

A1, B2, B3 etc grading system was introduced in 1999. There is what is called template. Every institution or organization has a template for issuing documents, and this evolves overtime. If I lose my WAEC statement of result and go to my secondary school today to apply for another copy, I don’t expect the school to still be using the template it used when the initial copy was issued 14 years ago, today. Do I expect them to go and revert to their old template because of me?

Another analogy: If I apply for my 1994 bank statement in say GTB, do I expect it to look like that I collected in in 1995, when the bank may have changed the format, and all that. Is it not the date of transaction, credit, debit, balance and beneficiaries that are important to me? Why do I have to mandate GTB to use the format they used for me in 1995 for me?

Simple: Buhari’s school has only used the current template it uses in issuing statement of results which has A1, B2, B3 printed somewhere on the side, and doesn’t change the substance of the result.

53 Likes 10 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Jarus(m): 10:42pm On Jan 22, 2015
Four, the result reads Government College, Katsina state but Katsina state was not existing in 1961.

Poor debaters, so if someone that schooled in say Lokoja, old Kwara State, now Kogi state, in the eighties applied for a fresh copy of his statement of result today, the result will read, “ABC College, Lokoja, Kwara State” and the signature will bear 2015!
I guess Union Bank should also be using Barclay’s Bank letterhead if it wants to respond to a 1971 enquiry in 2015. As we say on the Social Media, shaking my head!

Five, that the passport used was recent.

The school was issuing another copy of Buhari’s statement of result in 2015, in the currently used template, which requires passport photograph affixed. The school never claimed it was not a 2015 document – it is a 2015 document confirming a 1961 event.

Six, that the result reads “Mohammed Buhari”.

Well, maybe I should also throw away my WAEC-issued o’level certificate despite carrying my picture. After all, the name reads “Oyewale Tunji Surajudheen”, and my official name currently reads “Oyewale, Surajudeen Oyetunji”, which was the spelling I used when I wrote my UME in 2000, just few months after my WASSCE. It is the UME spelling that stuck till today.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Jarus(m): 10:45pm On Jan 22, 2015
Seven, that Nigerian educational system did not have class 6 in 1961, contrary to what the school claimed.

Another product of poor research. I will just reproduce what Dr. Ogbonaya Onu, former governor of Abia state, said on this: “Many young people don’t know we used to have Form 6. I attended Form 6. I attended higher school that is what it is called then and you spend 2 years at the lower and the upper. You can’t go to Form 6 unless you completed your Form 5 and he got all the credits in the relevant subjects. So all those are in his file.” – (Vanguard, 22 January 2014).

Eight, that Hausa language was not offered as a subject in 1961.

Another lie. An email sent by my friend, Sodiq Alabi, to Cambridge Assessment Archive Service, when the debate was raging on the Social Media, was replied within hours. Responding to Sodiq, Jacky Emerson, Archives Service Delivery Officer of Cambridge Assessment (archives@cambridgeassessment.org.uk), wrote: “Dear Sodiq Alabi, According to the regulations for 1961, African language papers, including those for Hausa were set for West African School Certificate”.

There are many other more weak grounds put forward by those that have so far dismissed the published result. In addition to the re-issued statement of result, the school also published the masterlist sent to it by Cambridge University, the examining body at the time, showing the Buhari’s name and results, alongside other students that wrote the exams for the school in that year. The document is in Cambridge University letterhead, and I wonder why anyone would forge a public document of such criticality and have Cambridge – of all places – as issuer. Punch newspaper has taken the initiative to verify this from Cambridge. We await the response to their inquiry.

I know the already jolted anti-Buharists will not let this rest as it has continued to serve the distractive purpose they set to achieve, but that will not stop some of us from knocking these basic facts into their heads.

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Jarus(m): 10:49pm On Jan 22, 2015
LAST BULLET:

If you think Buhari will forge result given what is at stake (including disqualification from contesting if found true), then your ignorance is pathetic.

If you think anyone would be stupid to release a fake document bearing Cambridge - of all places - in a matter of this criticality....

If you think PDP cannot be using this to deflect attention as a political gimmick...then you're the political ignoramus here.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 22, 2015
Una don come again

Shehu musa Yaradua wrote that exams with him in 1961 as claimed.

What year did shehu Yaradua then go to the royal military academy sandhust and how many years did he spend there. he returned in 1964 as stated in many records.

The footnote on the spreadsheet points to something like 1960

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Seun(m): 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2015
What he scored in WAEC before GEJ was born doesn't matter. What matters is what he has in his head right now versus his opponent.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by glory2glory: 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2015
Don't mind them. They know these truths. PDP is just afraid of the increasing support for GMB. This mudslinging is only making the general more popular. Thank God, he still focused and undistracted.

14 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Wealthyone: 10:54pm On Jan 22, 2015
Mr Suraj, who told u saTANists don't know all these? They are just bunch of losers that doesn't want to accept defeat.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Wealthyone: 10:56pm On Jan 22, 2015
Seun:
What he scored in WAEC before GEJ was born doesn't matter. What matters is what he has in his head right now versus his opponent.

Did u just write this? But u are one of d pdp goons undecided undecided undecided

7 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Seun(m): 10:56pm On Jan 22, 2015
Wealthyone:
Did u just write this? shocked shocked shocked tot u are one of d pdp goons
No, I am not. I'm a truth goon.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Wealthyone: 10:57pm On Jan 22, 2015
Seun:

Ok oh. We shall see cool
Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by awodman: 10:59pm On Jan 22, 2015
Jarus you didn't address how he got an A1 in Igbo..so he did Hausa & Igbo together then? Thought its only one Nigerian Language?

2 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 22, 2015
Jarus:
LAST BULLET:

If you think Buhari will forge result given what is at stake (including disqualification from contesting if found true), then your ignorance is pathetic.

If you think anyone would be stupid to release a fake document bearing Cambridge - of all places - in a matter of this criticality....

If you think PDP cannot be using this to deflect attention as a political gimmick...then you're the political ignoramus here.
Taule

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 22, 2015
Seun:
That's the issue. There is nothing in his head.

8 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 22, 2015
Seun:

Deep inside you, you are reluctantly embracing "Change"........

5 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by micolaj: 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
Great
Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by francizy(m): 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
Wetin concern me.. Both are political hoodlums...
Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by omenka(m): 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
Jarus, thanks for this painstaking explanation. The problem is, most of these kids won't read it. They are most likely to open the thread, scroll to the bottom, and then reply with an insult.

The fuel that powers the PDP propaganda machinery is the horde of gullible and genuinely ignorant Nigerians roaming the streets and workplaces. They pick up the lies and satanic distortions to stories, served by the president's handlers, and then spread same like a virus.

All we hope for is to see more and more Nigerians break away from their mould of ignorance and illiteracy, and express themselves independently, effectively relegating the likes of Okupe, Abati and FFK to the back seats.

I hope Seun finds it in his heart to ensure as many people as possible get to read this piece and rid themselves of their ignorance.

Thanks a million.

19 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by awodman: 11:04pm On Jan 22, 2015
Also Jarus you didn't explain how Shehu Yardua who joined the service in 1959 got to write WASC together with Buhari in 1961

3 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 22, 2015
One of the RICHEST MEN in the world happens to be a school drop-out! Certificates matter but COMPETENCE matters MORE!

7 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by alaoeri: 11:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
Knockout blow for the saTANist, whether they like it or yes GMB is contesting & defeating the ogogoro drunken master come FEBUHARI 14.
GMB/PYO 2015.

7 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
The Statement of Result Has been shown
Cambridge Confirmed it
Katsina State Ministry of Education Endorsed it.
Those with objection [size=22pt]Should GO TO COURT[/size]

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by gen2briz(m): 11:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
Millions of TAN's, abati, fayose, mimiko, FFK and the like can not change my opinion.
#GMB till further notice...

8 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
Is not funny that the people that call buhari illiterate are actually worse illiterate themselves. Good job jarus

7 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by damoskiy(m): 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
General Mohammed Buhari released a copy of his certificate yesterday and this are a few things you need to know.
1. They realesed a statement of result: if you return back to your secondary school to collect a statement of result anytime they would never back date it. The would put the date the principal signed it.
2. Its a government school he attended. All secondary school owned by government use the same proto-type for statement of result.No school can use any other than the one produced by the state Ministry of Education.
3. As we know that Neco didn't exist then.The statement of result is a new one obtained and all government schools use the same. The reason why NECO was cancelled there because he did WASSCE.

4 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by omenka(m): 11:09pm On Jan 22, 2015
awodman:
Jarus you didn't address how he got an A1 in Igbo..so he did Hausa & Igbo together then? Thought its only one Nigerian Language?
Chief stop living in denial. That was not a "1" but just a "stroke", meaning he didn't sit for the subject. There are over 5 of such on that result sheet.

15 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Seun(m): 11:09pm On Jan 22, 2015
sincerenigerian:
Deep inside you, you are reluctantly embracing "Change"........
I want what's best for my country.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
awodman:
Also Jarus you didn't explain how Shehu Yardua who joined the service in 1959 got to write WASC together with Buhari in 1961
1959 that you got from Wikipedia? Haven't you seen buhari and yardua's picture in school together on this same forum?

8 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 22, 2015
awodman:
Did Buhari also score A1 in typewriting, commerce and accounting? Common sense should tell you that is a slash, he didn't sit for those subject with the slash in front.

12 Likes

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 22, 2015
aguiyi:

Una don come again

Shehu musa Yaradua wrote that exams with him in 1961 as claimed.

What year did shehu Yaradua then go to the royal military academy sandhust and how many years did he spend there. he returned in 1964 as stated in many records.

The footnote on the spreadsheet points to something like 1960

Obiagelli:

1959 that you got from Wikipedia? Haven't you seen buhari and yardua's picture in school together on this same forum?
Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by lumzybo: 11:13pm On Jan 22, 2015
This is an eye opener. Kudos man.

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 22, 2015
Seun:

I want what's best for my country.

May I know what you think is the best for your country? You once vowed here not to vote for Buhari. What has changed?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amaechi Spotted With PMB Today (pic) / Atiku Congratulates Nana Akufo-Addo On His Re-Election / Bode George: I Can Help Stabilise PDP Until After 2023 General Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.