Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well (1777 Views)

My Frustration Over My 1999 Camry Fuel Consumption Ratio / What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months / My 1999 Camry LE Doest Pick Up Speed On Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by fecremmy(m): 8:20am On Jan 23, 2015
I seek your advice on what line of action to in fixing my 1999 camry odo (mileage).
It has been working perfectly until recently when I changed gear. Since then, I noticed the mileage number intermittently disappear and sometimes takes about 20mins to come up if I put off the engine.
I have engaged the service of my rewire whom I trust to an extent and after trying what he could confess to me that I should look for those rewire that works on the gear.
I further asked him to recommend someone to me but said he could not because most of those people doing the work are not trust worthy and he does not want to get involved.
I understand this could easily affect the gear as I sensed this anytime I am on speed and the mileage went blank, the engine system will change immediately.
I really need your advice to enable me fix this problem as fast as possible as the car is my main source of movement.

Await your usual advice.

Thank you,
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:08am On Jan 23, 2015
Does it go blank on the display? Or stops reading speed?
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by fecremmy(m): 10:31am On Jan 23, 2015
It does go blank and whenever it comes up, it shows continuous reading.
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by mayor2013: 10:50am On Jan 23, 2015
Have you tried running a scan? Is your Abs light on?
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by fecremmy(m): 11:15am On Jan 23, 2015
@mayor2013: I am not sure Camry 1999 has this Abs. If it has, I dont know where it is located.
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:07pm On Jan 23, 2015
Since you said the problem started when you changed your gearbox, then I will assume the speed sensor is responsible (even though I don't see any reason why it goes blank) fit the old speed sensor on your old gear box to the new one and see if it fixes the problem.

For a camry 1999-2000 it has nothing to do with your abs.
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by mayor2013: 2:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Since you said the problem started when you changed your gearbox, then I will assume the speed sensor is responsible (even though I don't see any reason why it goes blank) fit the old speed sensor on your old gear box to the new one and see if it fixes the problem.

For a camry 1999-2000 it has nothing to do with your abs.

Yes I concur a vss could cause that. It is usually located on the gear box towards the drive shaft region
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by fecremmy(m): 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2015
@ GAZZUZZ:
Thank you for the advice. I will discuss with the mechanic that changed the old gear to help me find the speed sensor. However, i presumed I will have to get another one if he has mis placed the previous one for i did not bother to carry the replaced gear from him. If I then need to get another one, how can I go about it to enable me get the original one.
I can be reached on 08035214399.

Thank you,
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:33pm On Jan 23, 2015
fecremmy:
@ GAZZUZZ:
Thank you for the advice. I will discuss with the mechanic that changed the old gear to help me find the speed sensor. However, i presumed I will have to get another one if he has mis placed the previous one for i did not bother to carry the replaced gear from him. If I then need to get another one, how can I go about it to enable me get the original one.

Thank you,

I can be reached on my signature also wink
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by Meringe(m): 12:33am On Jan 31, 2015
fecremmy:
@ GAZZUZZ:

Thank you,
How far? Have you changed the sensor? If yes, what's the situation now.
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by stephcruse(m): 1:35am On Jan 31, 2015
well most likely your electrician has damage your instrument cluster, take it to qualify technician who has diagosis skill or call 08038042709 for better info.
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by Nobody: 7:32am On Jan 31, 2015
stephcruse:
well most likely your electrician has damage your instrument cluster.

I disagree.
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jan 31, 2015
I guess your gear slips when then odo is blank

If that's the case, leave your gearbox and speed sensor alone. Change your instrument cluster. You can get one from a scrapyard, or tell your mech to get one for you.

Should cost <N7k

Source: experience
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:54pm On Feb 01, 2015
noxide:
I guess your gear slips when then odo is blank

If that's the case, leave your gearbox and speed sensor alone. Change your instrument cluster. You can get one from a scrapyard, or tell your mech to get one for you.

Should cost <N7k

Source: experience

no i dont think so
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

no i dont think so

I had a similar experience and that's what worked for me. There could be other solutions
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by fecremmy(m): 9:50am On Feb 02, 2015
Thank you all. I have changed the speed sensor early on Sunday and the car worked well all day but started again this morning while coming to work. Need your input please.

Thank you,
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by supertravell: 12:43pm On Apr 23, 2015
super travel is a holistic travel manager offering high-quality business and leisure travel services

with a personal and relational touch. With 35 years of experience and servicing some of World largest

corporations, we have earned a reputation for excellence.We find pleasure in making your bookings easy

and fast.

We also make travel easy and more reliable and comfortable, we give you 90% discount of every

bookings.
we also run a TRAVEL BEFORE FULL PAYMENT.
50% of your travel are run by the management after which you pay back with no interest.

TRAVEL TO:

SWINDON
HOG KONG
TURKEY
ITALY
CANADA
UNTIED KINGDOM
MALAYSIA
LONDON
INDIAN
DUBAI
SOUTH AFRICA
AUSTRALIA
CARIBBEAN
MID-WEST
BRAZIL
NEW ZEALAND

for low rate and you can travel to the countries listed above on our TRAVEL BEFORE FULL PAYMENT

system.

CONTACT US FOR:Flight Bookings
Hotel Bookings
Ticket booking
more!!!
Contact us via Email: supertravelling0@gmail.com
Re: My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well by chucky234(m): 4:41pm On Apr 23, 2015
Replace the speedometer/instrument/gauge cluster and your problem solved.

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Car Rental In Ibadan. / My Car Is Displaying Check Engine Light On Dashboard / Brand New Mercedes Benz G Wagon 2019 Available!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.