Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Will You Lecture In A Public University In Nigeria? Why And Why Not? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Will You Lecture In A Public University In Nigeria? Why And Why Not? (827 Views)

7 Advantages Of Attending A Public University In Nigeria / Edo University, Iyamo, Most Expensive Public University In Nigeria (Pics / Is FUNAAB, Abeokuta The Most Beautiful Public University Campus In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Will You Lecture In A Public University In Nigeria? Why And Why Not? by nollyj: 11:48am On Jan 23, 2015
Yesterday while I was taking a glance on Nairaland front page, a thread immediately captured my eyes. I clicked on the link with the intention to get more insight on the Salary Scale of Lecturers in Nigerian Universities. If you have not seen the post you can go ahead and read it - https://www.nairaland.com/2107126/salary-scale-lecturers-nigerian-universities

The salary structure was well detailed and categorised for Academic and non-academic staff of universities. I was more interested in academic staff most especially Lecturers.

The reference thread stated that
Lecturer I CONUASS 4 in Nigerian public universities earns between N2,079,996 – N2,684,010.00 per annum which is equivalent to 173,333 - 223,667

Lecturer II CONUASS 3 in Nigerian public universities earns between N1,649,509 – N1,979,640.00 per annum which is equivalent to 137,459 - 164,959

Although to the best of my knowledge I think that this is a basic salary and by the time other allowances must have been added, it will be times one and half of the stated amounts.

But do you think that it is good enough to take this job with this pay check?

Wait oo, before you answer yes or no I want to draw your attention on what you will possibly earn if you choose to work with a Federal ministry or parastatal. From the information I gathered, I realized at a graduate entry level position (Level cool you will earn between 50,000 - 90,000 Naira as basic salary in Federal ministries, Government agencies and Parastatals.

The difference depends on where you work. Revenue generating ministries pay more than non-revenue generating ministries. If you like you can read more about entry level salary structure in Nigeria here http://toscanyacademy.com/blog/career-in-nigeria/much-entry-level-graduate-level-8-earn-new-salary-structure-nigeria/

On the negative side, most people will chose to lecture because of many opportunities some lecturers have in their arsenal to milk student dry.

Let’s imagine, we live in an idea society and lecturer work for the salary? Will you still choose this job?

Please kindly share your opinion or choice with us.
Re: Will You Lecture In A Public University In Nigeria? Why And Why Not? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 23, 2015
Most good lecturers and profs derive pleasure in building people than monetary gain.

Lecturers that are really cut out for lecturing complain little about money.
Not some struggle lecturer IIs that would frustrate hell out of their students. These type of people would complain because they didn't get their dream jobs.

1 Like

Re: Will You Lecture In A Public University In Nigeria? Why And Why Not? by Coolboyz: 1:18pm On Jan 23, 2015
Op I think you are still a student, you hv not graduated.
Believe me, it is only students that will say they will decline that offer. But when they graduate, they face reality.
Graduates hv been the ones creating the thread like "when is civil defence recruiting?"

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

List of 2015 Undergraduate Scholarships / 25 True Facts That Dont Seem True. / Fire Outbreak In Uniuyo Female Hostel(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.