Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,498 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches (3296 Views)

Open Letter To All Nigerians; Imagine The Way Our Leaders Are Using Our Heads / The Citizens Are Suffering; The Leaders Are Smiling / Should You Respect Women Even If All The Women You Know Are Witches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:30pm On Jan 23, 2015
All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches

This is an article from OkikiOluwa1's Castle.
The Balogun Gburu-Gburu of Egbaland & the Western Nigerian Garrison.

This is written for the Iyalodes, who have been mis-read as witches.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
There’s this wild superstition and believe among some set of people in Nigeria especially females that Iyalodes (Women Leaders) are witches. An Iyalode is a Yorubaland’s chieftancy title for the women leader-Africans over time had associated witchcraft to mostly women especially aged ones.

I have met several people who has always maintained that Iyalodes are witches or occultist people because they act like a witch or looked like a witch. I think these set of people are only judging based on behaviour or looks of those Iyalodes they have met. Maybe those Iyalodes also added their own part by being strict, wicked or callous. The truth here is most witches will never let you know who they are. And there are people who are wicked or callous but they are not witches. In addition, our home videos especially English and Yoruba movies have portrayed some Iyalodes or grandmas as wicked people with witchcraft. People have also taken the wrong lesson from the society by thinking that anyone who is given the title has gone to the occultist world.

Sometimes ago, I met a young girl who was having family challenges. She was so sure that it was her grandmother who happened to be an Iyalode who was behind the misfortune experienced by the family. When I asked her to give me her reason, she said her grandmother is always mean, looked dirty, ugly and wicked. She just described what I read in a story book called “Ralia The Sugar Girl.” I couldn’t control my laughter when I heard this. Few months later, the family got over the problem and they were doing fine. She was not happy with herself because she once had a negative thought towards her grandma.

In 1997, my maternal grandmother became the Iyalode (Women Leader) of a prominent town in Oyo State, some people started perpetrating rumours that she’s going to join a witchcraft society or she’s already a witch. They said her children and grandchildren including me are meats in her soup. They said we should be prayerful. Yes, we became prayerful not because we feared that grandma will bewitch the family but to clear any danger from people who really want to make trouble. But the fact is nothing bad happened to us. It’s just that some people have been conditioned to think that Iyalodes have witchcraft. Afterall, all traditional title holders must v been introduced to fetishism, black magic or ‘one kind juju’. One funny thing happened when grandma became the Iyalode. There was a middle aged woman who came to meet her for help. She said she wanted grandma to help her avenge her case by punishing her husband. She want the husband to be rendered impotent and also improvrished because he married two other wives almost at the same time. My grandma was shocked that someone could come to her for such a wicked assistance. Grandma later reported her to the Chiefs and King of the town because she wanted to pass a clear message to other people like that woman in the town that she’s not a witch or someone that anybody can come to for such request.

Recently, a young girl who just finished secondary school visited my grandma. She made a new hairstyle which grandma touched while appreciating the hair dresser that made it. This young girl went to her mum and started crying because Iyalode has touched her head. The mother was a woman with good understanding. She didn’t flare up but rather rebuked her daughter for having such notion toward the Iyalode of the town. Both mum and daughter later came to my grandma to apologise. When the girl was asked why she had such notion toward my grandma, she said it was due to the discussion between her friends that most Iyalodes have witchcraft because their chieftancy title has been associated with witchcraft and occultic societies owing this effect to the African mentality and Nigerian home videos who portray Iyalodes and aged grandmas as witches or evil people.

Last bullet
I think it’s time we start judging less every book by its cover. It’s time people stop associating aged grandmas or Iyalodes with witchcraft. Let’s stop this naive thinking.

Signed
OkikiOluwa1 (CFR)
Balogun of Egbaland & the Western Nigerian Garrison.

1 Share

Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by pickabeau1: 1:35pm On Jan 23, 2015
interesting read

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 23, 2015
I have yet to encounter a witch o. Nairaland witches please PM me only if you can prove your witchcraft. I have serious assignment for una.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by crackhaus: 3:35pm On Jan 23, 2015
Timbuktou:
I have yet to encounter a witch o. Nairaland witches please PM me only if you can prove your witchcraft. I have serious assignment for una.
Lmao...

You wan die? grin
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 23, 2015
crackhaus:

Lmao...

You wan die? grin
Make I hear word. I say I get work for them. Shuo. Why dem go wan kill dia employer?
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by crackhaus: 4:33pm On Jan 23, 2015
Timbuktou:
Make I hear word. I say I get work for them. Shuo. Why dem go wan kill dia employer?
I know one, maybe she'll see your advert. grin
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 23, 2015
crackhaus:

I know one, maybe she'll see your advert. grin
heheheh. Biko, help a sister out. Let's put an end to unemployment. grin
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 23, 2015
Funny but true. Many people believe Iyalodes to be witches or be into some serious juju.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Ilekeh(f): 5:53pm On Jan 23, 2015
Lol what kinda thread is this?

Im iyalode sha, but I no be witch oo.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by cococandy(f): 10:52pm On Jan 23, 2015
I guess only Yoruba folks will understand this thread.
Why are the so called iyalodes believed to be witches? In this day and age too undecided
Ilekeh:
Lol what kinda thread is this?

Im iyalode sha, but I no be witch oo.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:20am On Jan 24, 2015
Timbuktou:
Here's one.
Any biz for me?
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Ilekeh(f): 1:24am On Jan 24, 2015
cococandy:
I guess only Yoruba folks will understand this thread.
Why are the so called iyalodes believed to be witches? In this day and age too undecided

I'm playing along.

I thought iyalodes were busybodies and amebos.

I learn new things everyday.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by cococandy(f): 1:53am On Jan 24, 2015
Ilekeh:

I'm playing along.

I thought iyalodes were busybodies and amebos.

I learn new things everyday.
mmm. Ok. And I was hoping you would explain the entire concept to me.

1 Like

Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 24, 2015
OkikiOluwa1:
Here's one.
Any biz for me?
Credentials and CV, please. I can't just hand a job over to you without checking your background to confirm suitability.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by EfemenaXY: 12:57pm On Jan 24, 2015
Where's 5minsmadness when you need him?

Oya come 'n summarize this article for moi, whilst highlighting the salient points... tongue tongue
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by 5minsmadness: 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2015
EfemenaXY:
Where's 5minsmadness when you need him?

Oya come 'n summarize this article for moi, whilst highlighting the salient points... tongue tongue
angry
I resemble ya secretary?
Or I be SSCE student?

Put some money into my account, then we can talk tongue
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by EfemenaXY: 1:28pm On Jan 24, 2015
5minsmadness:

angry
I resemble ya secretary?
Or I be SSCE student?

Put some money into my account, then we can talk tongue

You should be grateful. angry angry

Of all the people, in all of Nairaland, and all of the whole wide world, moi chooseth thou to translate and thou speaketh grammar? tongue tongue cool

1 Like

Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:25pm On Jan 24, 2015
Timbuktou:
Credentials and CV, please. I can't just hand a job over to you without checking your background to confirm suitability.
Which one do you want to give ya enemies?
Epilepsy or leprosy?
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 24, 2015
OkikiOluwa1:

Which one do you want to give ya enemies?
Epilepsy or leprosy?
Let's start with epilepsy. If they don't learn the error of their ways, we increase the dosage to leprosy.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Padipadi(m): 1:41pm On Jan 26, 2015
I disagree with the Op.
Most Iyalodes are aggressive, wicked and mean.

They are somehow possessed with one kinda spirit. E.g: Efunsetan Aniwura of Ibadan.
She became mad after the death of her daughter.

She forgot that in life, there's pain & gain. Because she's in pain, she shouldn't inflict her frustration on others.

1 Like

Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 26, 2015
Padipadi:
I disagree with the Op.

They are somehow possessed with one kinda spirit. E.g: Efunsetan Aniwura of Ibadan.

She forgot that in life, there's pain & gain. Because she's in pain, she shouldn't inflict her frustration on others.

Hmmmm.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by cococandy(f): 3:25pm On Jan 26, 2015
Padipadi:
I disagree with the Op.

she probably became mad from grief and the unsympathetic approach of people like you who judge them harshly because of stereotype.

Being a leader demands that one has a strong personality. Is that what they term wickedness and aggressiveness?

Well even if a few are bad, I don't believe they all are

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Padipadi(m): 3:33pm On Jan 26, 2015
cococandy:
she probably became mad from grief and the unsympathetic approach of people like you who judge them harshly because of stereotype.

Being a leader demands that one has a strong personality. Is that what they term wickedness and aggressiveness?

Well even if a few are bad, I don't believe they all are
She took it too far. What is the crime of some of the slaves she beheaded?
Have you read any book on Efunsetan Aniwura?
She's just a witch!
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by cococandy(f): 3:43pm On Jan 26, 2015
Padipadi:

She took it too far. What is the crime of some of the slaves she beheaded?
Have you read any book on Efunsetan Aniwura?
She's just a witch!
oh. I thought the person you're refering to is a living being.
Mind you I don't get the concept of iyalode or the story behind the title.

The only thing I managed to grasp is that they Yoruba women leaders.

Does it mean you're judging the present iyalodes by the actions of that evil one or the evil ones?.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by Padipadi(m): 6:31pm On Jan 26, 2015
cococandy:
oh. I thought the person you're refering to is a living being.
Mind you I don't get the concept of iyalode or the story behind the title.

The only thing I managed to grasp is that they Yoruba women leaders.

Does it mean you're judging the present iyalodes by the actions of that evil one or the evil ones?.
The Op is referring to Iyalodes. In present day, they are known as women leaders of each town. Even till present time, most of them are diabolic and callous people.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by bgates: 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2015
OkikiOluwa1's

send me your Email: I have something for you:

faithrita3060@gmail.com
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by maclatunji: 6:23pm On Feb 03, 2015
OP, I know you love your grandmother but you should simply understand that technically in Yoruba land, the Iyalode is the leader of all the women including the witches. Sadly, traditional Yoruba institutions are tied to witchcraft with extremely rare exceptions.

The Iyalode holds the title of the head of all the witches in her jurisdiction. Whether, she lives-up to the title is another matter.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:23pm On Feb 03, 2015
maclatunji:
OP, I know you love your grandmother but you should simply understand that technically in Yoruba land, the Iyalode is the leader of all the women including the witches. Sadly, traditional Yoruba institutions are tied to witchcraft with extremely rare exceptions.

The Iyalode holds the title of the head of all the witches in her jurisdiction. Whether, she lives-up to the title is another matter.
So, how do we stop the generalisation that all Iyalodes are witches?
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by maclatunji: 12:45am On Feb 04, 2015
OkikiOluwa1:

So, how do we stop the generalisation that all Iyalodes are witches?

It's going to be difficult.
Re: All Iyalodes (Women Leaders) Are Not Witches by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:58pm On Mar 17, 2015
maclatunji:

It's going to be difficult.
I don't think so.
That's why I created this thread to shed light on the issue...

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Wife Cannot Dissociate Herself From Her Ex / Why Are You A Single Mum? / If You Were In His/her Shoes...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.