Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,276 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Let's See How Intelligent You Are - Forum Games - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Forum Games / Let's See How Intelligent You Are (19861 Views)

Puzzle : Let's See How Fast And Intelligent You Are / Let’s See How Smart You Are: Zoo Animal Face / Let's See How Intelligent You Are! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 23, 2015
"A teacher walks into d Classroom and says; If only Yesterday was Tomorrow, Today would have been a Sunday."

Now on which Day did the Teacher make that Statement?
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by remsonik(f): 8:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
If only yesterday Saturday was tomorrow monday then today would have been a Sunday.

The teacher made the statement on a sunday
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 23, 2015
remsonik:
If only yesterday Saturday was tomorrow monday then today would have been a Sunday.

The teacher made the statement on a sunday

Nice logic but wrong grin
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by remsonik(f): 8:28pm On Jan 23, 2015
striktlymi:

Nice logic but wrong grin
Lemme try again
I guess he made it on a friday cos if only yesterday Thursday was tomorrow monday then today would have been Sunday.

Now don't tell me I got it wrong grin
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by AdeniyiA(m): 8:37pm On Jan 23, 2015
That means the teacher said this on TUESDAY,
I. e if only yesterday (Monday) was tomorrow, of course today would be Sunday smiley cool
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jan 23, 2015
remsonik:

Lemme try again
I guess he made it on a friday cos if only yesterday Thursday was tomorrow monday then today would have been Sunday.

Now don't tell me I got it wrong grin

Hmmmm...

Your logic is a bit.....hmmmmm....I don't know.

If you say Friday is the answer then it means Thursday (Yesterday) was tomorrow (Saturday)?

How then did we arrive at Sunday?
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Rich4god(m): 9:20pm On Jan 23, 2015
Its simple... If only yesterday (thursday) was tomorrow(Saturday), today would have been sunday... The teacher made the statement on FRIDAY... If saturday was to take the place of thursday, then the following day (friday) will be sunday.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 23, 2015
AdeniyiA:
That means the teacher said this on TUESDAY,
I. e if only yesterday (Monday) was tomorrow, of course today would be Sunday smiley cool

Nah... grin

If he said on Tuesday, it means Yesterday was Monday.

If yesterday (Monday) was tomorrow (Tuesday) then today would be Sunday??
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 23, 2015
Rich4god:
Its simple... If only yesterday (thursday) was tomorrow(Saturday), today would have been sunday... The teacher made the statement on FRIDAY... If saturday was to take the place of thursday, then the following day (friday) will be sunday.

Hmmmm....

Check the sentence again. tongue
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Rich4god(m): 9:27pm On Jan 23, 2015
striktlymi:

Hmmmm....

Check the sentence again. tongue
I still stand on my answer...
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 23, 2015
Rich4god:
I still stand on my answer...

That one na wuru wuru to the answer ni grin
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Rich4god(m): 9:33pm On Jan 23, 2015
striktlymi:

That one na wuru wuru to the answer ni grin

i knw my answer is corretc... So I go wait till you drop your so i can see the difference.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
Rich4god:
i knw my answer is corretc... So I go wait till you drop your so i can see the difference.

Okay, cool.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by macof(m): 11:54pm On Jan 23, 2015
If yesterday (Monday) was Tomorrow (which by assumption would be a Monday) today would(by assumption) be a Sunday

He made the statement on a Tuesday
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 24, 2015
macof:
If yesterday (Monday) was Tomorrow (which by assumption would be a Monday) today would(by assumption) be a Sunday

He made the statement on a Tuesday

A number of persons picked Tuesday. I guess there must be something about Tuesday.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by macof(m): 1:40pm On Jan 24, 2015
striktlymi:

A number of persons picked Tuesday. I guess there must be something about Tuesday.

I think Tuesday is correct...am awaiting ur answer
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by sparklebaby: 9:15am On Jan 26, 2015
He said that on a Friday.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by jamace(m): 12:38pm On Jan 26, 2015
Statement was made on SUNDAY.
Reason: Assume you are in ANY day. YESTERDAY takes you a pace backward of ANY day. TOMORROW brings you back to ANY day. So, if TODAY is SUNDAY, then ANY day is SUNDAY. Therefore, statements was made TODAY which is SUNDAY. Its like subtracting one day and adding one day which gives you same day.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 26, 2015
sparklebaby:
He said that on a Friday.

Care to explain your choice of Friday?
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 26, 2015
jamace:
Statement was made on SUNDAY.
Reason: Assume you are in ANY day. YESTERDAY takes you a pace backward of ANY day. TOMORROW brings you back to ANY day. So, if TODAY is SUNDAY, then ANY day is SUNDAY. Therefore, statements was made TODAY which is SUNDAY. Its like subtracting one day and adding one day which gives you same day.

Nope!
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by ooman(m): 6:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
striktlymi:

Nope!

Tuesday.

If yesterday (monday) was tomorrow, then today is sunday.

Only if the tomorrow is monday could that day (today) be sunday.

Monday is yesterday of Tuesday. If monday was tomorrow (but it wasn't), then we'd be in a sunday, however, we are looking forward to a wednesday.

Except if the variables are not complete, the day is definitely a Tuesday.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by ooman(m): 6:41pm On Feb 15, 2015
striktlymi:

Nah... grin

This means the statement can be understood in another way. But if the logic is literal, then the day is tuesday. Else the answer is infinitely looping, and we can never arrive at any day.

I dont like infinity.

1 Like

Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 6:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
ooman:

This means the statement can be understood in another way. But if the logic is literal, then the day is tuesday. Else the answer is infinitely looping, and we can never arrive at any day.

I dont like infinity.

Take another look.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by ooman(m): 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2015
striktlymi:

Take another look.

Something is wrong. Your variables are not complete.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 7:28pm On Feb 15, 2015
ooman:

Something is wrong. Your variables are not complete.

Thought same when I first looked at it. Look again!
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by ooman(m): 7:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
striktlymi:

Thought same when I first looked at it. Look again!

You mean you've solved it and its not tuesday.

Just one question: is the first condition constant?
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by akinsadeez(m): 8:16pm On Feb 15, 2015
striktlymi:

Nah... grin

You are making the same mistake that people often make when answering this question. I have answered this question on a radio station and I got it.
Your mistake is that you are interpreting the 'tomorrow' in the question as a day. The tomorrow there is used in the literal meaning and not as a day. It is not sensible to say if Monday was Tuesday....because Monday can never be Tuesday.

Now while speaking on a Tuesday, the man said if only yesterday(Monday) was tomorrow, today would have been a sunday. To really understand it, change the set up of d sentence and bring 'tomorrow' to d front like this:

If tomorrow was Monday( yesterday), today would have been a Sunday.

Now doesn't that make sense. The answer is definitely and without doubt Tuesday.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 15, 2015
ooman:

You mean you've solved it and its not tuesday.

Just one question: is the first condition constant?

Yes I have and its not Tuesday.

Yes it is!

Now if you insist on Tuesday, the statement would read:

If only Yesterday (Monday) was tomorrow (Wednesday), today would have been Sunday Thursday.

In order words, if Wednesday takes the place of Monday I.e yesterday is Wednesday, it only follows that today can only be Thursday.

That's why the answer is not Tuesday.

I have said too much already.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 15, 2015
akinsadeez:

You are making the same mistake that people often make when answering this question. I have answered this question on a radio station and I got it.
Your mistake is that you are interpreting the 'tomorrow' in the question as a day. The tomorrow there is used in the literal meaning and not as a day. It is not sensible to say if Monday was Tuesday....because Monday can never be Tuesday.

Now while speaking on a Tuesday, the man said if only yesterday(Monday) was tomorrow, today would have been a sunday. To really understand it, change the set up of d sentence and bring 'tomorrow' to d front like this:

If tomorrow was Monday( yesterday), today would have been a Sunday.

Now doesn't that make sense. The answer is definitely and without doubt Tuesday.

Check the explanation I gave to ooman and see why it can't be Tuesday.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by akinsadeez(m): 8:38pm On Feb 15, 2015
striktlymi:

Check the explanation I gave to ooman and see why it can't be Tuesday.

I have checked it and still maintain my opinion. Don't agree with your explanation at all. the tomorrow in that question is not a day as u posited. That is d fundamental mistake u r making which will make ur answer inevitably wrong. until u understand dat d tomorrow used in d sentence is used in its ordinary English meaning u won't get it.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by ooman(m): 5:51am On Feb 16, 2015
striktlymi:

Yes it is!

If only Yesterday (Monday) was tomorrow (Wednesday), today would have been Sunday Thursday.

In order words, if Wednesday takes the place of Monday I.e yesterday is Wednesday, it only follows that today can only be Thursday.

Apply this same logic of yours to your answer, and you would arrive at another day. This is why I warned we could run into infinity and asked whether the condition was constant, or perhaps, we are looping.

If we take it for a fact that wednesday took the place of monday, which in reality can't, then your answer can never satisfy the question because the days would have shifted to satisfy your never satisfied condition.

So its still tuesday or infinity.

Note that if you publish another answer, I will use your logic to prove you wrong. You wont escape that.
Re: Let's See How Intelligent You Are by ooman(m): 6:12am On Feb 16, 2015
striktlymi:

Yes it is!

Is the emphasis on tomorrow or yesterday?

And beside, you have falling into the shifting condition effect I predicted.

You said: If only Yesterday (Monday) was tomorrow (Wednesday), today would have been Sunday Thursday.

Did you even realize that your yesterday has picked up a new identity? From monday, it has become wednesday.

See now that your conditions aren't getting satisfied. Or perhaps you need to tell us to only regard tomorrow not yesterday.

Once again, if the statement has no other condition attached, which you aren't telling us, then you are wrong.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Similarities & Differences ( S & D ) / UK, Japan Economies Slip Into Recession / Genius: Calculate The Number Of Triangles In This Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.