Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

My Thought On GMB'S Age & Public service - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thought On GMB'S Age & Public service (530 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / After Watching AIT Sponsored Program On GMB / Gmb's Age Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Thought On GMB'S Age & Public service by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 24, 2015
I read something @babyosisi wrote today and i was in deep thought she said and i quote " no serious minded person begins a career @72" thats was thought provoking for me, then i quickly remembered when ASUU went on strike sometime ago demanding that professors retire at seventy. See what this Dr from UI said
Dr Victor Osaro Edo A senior lecturer in the History Department, University of Ibadan, Oyo State,who is also a member of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), he said this and i quote “if I were to speak as an individual, I do not support that a civil servant should remain in service up till the age of 70.”

“If we take a cue from the advanced societies, the developed societies are, indeed, talking of how to narrow down the age of public servants so that the youths of their societies could be gainfully employed.”

The lecturer, who asked the government to come out with a strong position to oppose ASUU demand for the extension of service, added that one would have become a spent force by age of 70.

“Even at 60, one is already becoming a spent force but it can still be managed. But to say that one should remain in service for 70 years,

Then ironically he said this
"I think for such people politics is there for them to go into. Having contributed their quota at that age when they were still strong, their experience could remain used perhaps at the political level, helping in the formulation of policies for the society rather than remain in the service at a point when one’s health could no longer carry it.

“I am afraid. I don’t want a situation whereby academic staff would begin to die in office of ill-health. We must be careful and government itself must be in a position to come out with policies and be able to address the nation as far as this issue is concerned. It is true that people in the judiciary, perhaps at the Federal level, the Supreme Court, lives up to 70. But then again, one realises that at that level, their task is not as difficult as the task of a teacher who would need to assimilate and come back and pour them to the students"
http://universitiesofnigeria.com/dr-victor-condemns-70yrs-retirement-age-for-university-lecturers/
Please dont forget we are talking about 70years for a public servant to retire!!! the job of the president is no joke, matter of fact we all saw umaru musa yar'adua drying up by the day when he was there... it is called retirement because The person in question is going into seclusion or privacy, retirement is a place for withdrawal from service life... not a time to recycle dead energy.... GMB SHOULD RETIRE!!!!!!!! GBAM

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Thought On GMB'S Age & Public service by DickDastardly(m): 6:31pm On Jan 24, 2015
Has he found it yet? cheesy grin

Forgive me folks. I'm just being a Proud TANOID! And am loving it cheesy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thought On GMB'S Age & Public service by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 24, 2015
DickDastardly:
Has he found it yet? cheesy grin

Forgive me folks. I'm just being a Proud TANOID! And am loving it cheesy grin
Being a saTAN.. Hhehe is like the coolest thing on the planet ryt now my niccur!! grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

The Time Has Come For We Southerners To Take Our Destinies Into Our Hands / Terrorism: US Ignores Nigeria To Work With Chad, Cameroon / Interesting Reason Why Buhari Must Boycott Presidential Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.