Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. (2570 Views)

CAMERA/LENS & PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT @amazing Price / Unexplained Focus With A Glass And Arrow! / Top Ten Photographs From My Camera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by miniziter(m): 3:57pm On Jan 25, 2015
I just bought my NIKON D3000 like a month ago and I just observed the lens can't focus unless I switch to manual (which is very frustrating). Please my people is there any way out?
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by VillageBoi(m): 6:17pm On Jan 25, 2015
miniziter:
I just bought my NIKON D3000 like a month ago and I just observed the lens can't focus unless I switch to manual (which is very frustrating). Please my people is there any way out?

I hardly use Nikons so can't say for sure what the issue is but try the few things below.

I know this sounds silly but first check the 'switch' on the lens is at AF (I know some Nikons have this button on the 'body' of the camera... check that too)
Try cleaning the contact points on both the lens and the camera... be careful doing this. DO NOT use a 'cleaning' fluid!!
Try a different Nikon lens.

You might have to go into the menu to let us know what is going on -
MENU - WRENCH - FOCUS MODE. - Try the AF-A and AF-S modes and see what it does.

Hopefully this helps; if not let us know.
Oh what lens are you using? In you camera menu settings is autofocus 'greyed' out? Is your big round 'dial' set to the green 'A' - auto function? Switch it to 'M' and try.

Sorry most of this is guess work as Nikon does strange things with their different body models.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by miniziter(m): 3:39am On Jan 26, 2015
I have done most of what you said but the issue is still thesame. I was told to change the lens rotor or so.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by VillageBoi(m): 10:11am On Jan 26, 2015
miniziter:
I have done most of what you said but the issue is still thesame. I was told to change the lens rotor or so.
Good you've done most so do the rest of it. Get onto Nikon forums that talk about the particular lens in question.
No idea what they've told you but I personally have never heard of a lens rotor.

If the problem is the 'motor' which I doubt... a bit more likely to be the AF cable inside the lens... well since it's only a month old get it sorted on your warranty.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by SmooshCHN: 4:58pm On Feb 11, 2015
The problem may be that the Auto-Focus drive is damaged. It could arise from maybe when shooting the lens switch is on Auto and your Camera mode is still on Manual. If you're shooting Auto, both Camera amd Lens should be Auto or both Manual. I'll advise you go to a Nikon store if you never made the mistake.

1 Like

Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by VillageBoi(m): 6:36pm On Feb 11, 2015
SmooshCHN:
The problem may be that the Auto-Focus drive is damaged. It could arise from maybe when shooting the lens switch is on Auto and your Camera mode is still on Manual. If you're shooting Auto, both Camera amd Lens should be Auto or both Manual. I'll advise you go to a Nikon store if you never made the mistake.

Nice info, I never knew that about Nikon cameras.

1 Like

Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by SmooshCHN: 8:56pm On Feb 11, 2015
Wait a minute.. What type of lens is it? I mean the full name the focal length, aperture and letter that are written on it. It may be that it doesn't naturally auto-focus.. There are lenses made that way. If you always auto focused with it before and it stopped then it's the auto focus drive system but if you had never auto-focus with it, then it naturally is a manual focus lens. Start trying to Manually Focus. Don't be missing shots
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by SmooshCHN: 8:59pm On Feb 11, 2015
The nikon nikon 50mm f/1.8D and Nikon Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D naturally doesn't auto-focus. If AF-S is not written on the lens, it wouldn't auto-focus. It it has, then go for maybe repair or replacement.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by Peterwizzy: 9:05pm On Feb 11, 2015
plss, does nikon or canon have stores in Nigeria? or how can i get these cameras? cause i need one for videos now!
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by VillageBoi(m): 10:48pm On Feb 11, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Wait a minute.. What type of lens is it? I mean the full name the focal length, aperture and letter that are written on it. It may be that it doesn't naturally auto-focus.. There are lenses made that way. If you always auto focused with it before and it stopped then it's the auto focus drive system but if you had never auto-focus with it, then it naturally is a manual focus lens. Start trying to Manually Focus. Don't be missing shots

No idea what lens... the OP didn't drop much info so we're just guessing here. Anyway that's one reason I personally have never liked Nikon (far too many weird things)... Canon is so much easier even though I got rid of most of mine... just keeping only one Canon now.

1 Like

Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by SmooshCHN: 6:34am On Feb 12, 2015
VillageBoi:

No idea what lens... the OP didn't drop much info so we're just guessing here. Anyway that's one reason I personally have never liked Nikon (far too many weird things)... Canon is so much easier even though I got rid of most of mine... just keeping only one Canon now.
Yeah. True.. I personally like both models. if you're using Nikon keep your manual close cheesy Canon is so much easier but Nikon offers you better Camera for reasonable price unlike Canon. Why did you get rid of your Canon?
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by VillageBoi(m): 1:22pm On Feb 12, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Yeah. True.. I personally like both models. if you're using Nikon keep your manual close cheesy Canon is so much easier but Nikon offers you better Camera for reasonable price unlike Canon. Why did you get rid of your Canon?
I rarely use Nikons just once in a while when a certain company hires me to shoot stills for them (their own cameras). I'm mainly into filmmaking and the Canon DSLRs which have always been better than Nikons for video just aren't that great anymore (unless one is using the MagicLantern hack). That's why I sold two of mine and just kept the 7D for stills mainly. I've shifted to BlackMagic cameras for filming... the 'dynamic range' is leaps beyond what DSLRs offer.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by tozabes: 2:10pm On Mar 03, 2015
Hi...please where can I repair my canon camera or lens here in Nigeria
VillageBoi:

I rarely use Nikons just once in a while when a certain company hires me to shoot stills for them (their own cameras). I'm mainly into filmmaking and the Canon DSLRs which have always been better than Nikons for video just aren't that great anymore (unless one is using the MagicLantern hack). That's why I sold two of mine and just kept the 7D for stills mainly. I've shifted to BlackMagic cameras for filming... the 'dynamic range' is leaps beyond what DSLRs offer.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by VillageBoi(m): 8:45am On Mar 04, 2015
tozabes:
No idea sorry, I'm not in Nigeria. Maybe someone in this thread might know.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by Jerryspryng: 4:43pm On Mar 06, 2015
Peterwizzy:
plss, does nikon or canon have stores in Nigeria? or how can i get these cameras? cause i need one for videos now!
I only know of Nikon store in Lagos, opebi 2 b precise
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by Jerryspryng: 4:47pm On Mar 06, 2015
tozabes:
I repair my camera here in Lagos, @ oshodi
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by Jerryspryng: 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
VillageBoi:

Personally, I prefer Nikon to Canon for one reason, & that is because Nikon is user friendly.
Re: My Camera Lens Can't Auto-focus Any Longer. by VillageBoi(m): 9:23pm On Mar 07, 2015
Jerryspryng:

Personally, I prefer Nikon to Canon for one reason, & that is because Nikon is user friendly.
Nothing wrong with your preference - some prefer tea and some prefer coffee. I personally find Canon to be more user friendly.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Ghana? / Totally Invisible: Body Paint That Makes You ‘ DISSAPEAR’ | PHOTOS / Teamleo's Beach Party Design:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.