Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,515 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads (692 Views)

Police To Arrest Unauthourised Users Of Siren Nationwide / Nigerian Govt Bans Other Para-military Agencies From Use Of Camouflage Uniforms / Fg Bars Service Chiefs, Ministers, Others From Use Of Tinted Glasses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads by muhsin(m): 12:12pm On Dec 24, 2008
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Paul Dike, has outlawed the use of siren by military personnel in the country henceforth.

In the same vein, no military officer must be seen carrying horsewhip around, either as personal paraphernalia or an instrument to intimidate civilians in the society.

In a statement in Abuja by the Defence Headquarters and signed by the Director of Defence Information, Chris Jemitola, the CDS said the use of siren and whip by military men is a sign of intimidation and oppression that has continued to rub-off negatively on the image of the military as an institution.

The military, he said, is ordinarily supposed to be people friendly.

Dike's latest action is an apparent reaction to the recent ugly incident during which a naval chieftain's convoy reportedly brutalised a civilian leader on a Lagos road.

The CDS noted that the use of siren and whip by military men has had a lot of negative effect on the citizenry as series of dire consequences has been created in the course of forcing civilians off the road for officers to pass, using the siren and whip as objects of effecting such.

In banning the use of siren by the military men, the CDS exempted his office and that of the other service chiefs in all the three services, although with a caveat that siren must be used "sparingly and when absolutely necessary".

Coming down hard on the use of horsewhip by military personnel in forcing people to obey their commands, the CDS said, "the horsewhip is not part of the military uniform and will not be tolerated to be seen in the possession of anyone".

http://allafrica.com/stories/200812240209.html
Re: Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:18pm On Dec 24, 2008
na today we begin dey hear that kain law. grin
Re: Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2008
muhsin:

Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Paul Dike, has outlawed the use of siren by military personnel in the country henceforth.

In the same vein, no military officer must be seen carrying horsewhip around, either as personal paraphernalia or an instrument to intimidate civilians in the society.

In a statement in Abuja by the Defence Headquarters and signed by the Director of Defence Information, Chris Jemitola, the CDS said the use of siren and whip by military men is a sign of intimidation and oppression that has continued to rub-off negatively on the image of the military as an institution.

The military, he said, is ordinarily supposed to be people friendly.

Dike's latest action is an apparent reaction to the recent ugly incident during which a naval chieftain's convoy reportedly brutalised a civilian leader on a Lagos road.

The CDS noted that the use of siren and whip by military men has had a lot of negative effect on the citizenry as series of dire consequences has been created in the course of forcing civilians off the road for officers to pass, using the siren and whip as objects of effecting such.

In banning the use of siren by the military men, the CDS exempted his office and that of the other service chiefs in all the three services, although with a caveat that siren must be used "sparingly and when absolutely necessary".

Coming down hard on the use of horsewhip by military personnel in forcing people to obey their commands, the CDS said, "the horsewhip is not part of the military uniform and will not be tolerated to be seen in the possession of anyone".

http://allafrica.com/stories/200812240209.html

do as i say, not as i do. . .
Re: Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads by Muza(m): 2:12pm On Dec 24, 2008
I can bet all my life savings that those power drunks will not adhere.  grin
Re: Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 24, 2008
Damn, the military are supposed to protect the people not frighten them. I bet they can't get arrested for their crimes neither.
Re: Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads by ilaugh1: 2:45pm On Dec 24, 2008
very good thing - welcome development.

I am sure the fagots on NairaLand will write it off as usual.
Re: Nigeria: Military Men Banned From Use Of Siren, Horsewhip On Roads by bracelet: 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2008
@i_laugh

I'm not aware there are "Fagots" on Nairaland.

@post
Lets wait until we see someone purnished for fluanting this rule.

It will never happen. cool

(1) (Reply)

Who Was The Nigerian Of 2008?:Ribadu, Oshiomole, Kutigi, Fashola .. ? / Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped / Ancient Egptians Ingenuity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.