Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,223 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy (4239 Views)

Harmful Foods Your Puppy Shouldn’t Eat / When To Deworm Your Puppy Or Dog / When To Deworm Your Puppy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Prodeegee(m): 3:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
for those who mised this...
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by redfigure(m): 9:28am On Dec 08, 2015
Prodeegee:
Overtime I've always wanted to teach an adult boerboel I brought home a few commands. I read about using treats to teach sit, but that's gonna take alotta time. So I taught my dog to sit by always waiting for her to sit before I place her food before her. Then I added d word cue as time went on.

It's an old post, but since you updated for others to see, lemme chip in something.

What you read is actually right. Using treats is by far the easiest and fastest way to teach a Dog. The method you read can help you teach a Dog to sit in 10 mins if taught properly.

1 Like

Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Goldcheddar: 12:59am On Jul 02, 2018
arcbay:
On a more serious note now, I hate saying the same things over and over again...This particular issue has been addressed on several threads here on NL pets...

Anyways, let's deal...so we can all learn and grow together.
I don't really believe in "coercive training", which involves the use of commands to dogs; STAND! SIT!! CATCH!!! Don't treat your pets like they are some sort of slaves. At some point, they tend to forget or mix up these command prompts.

The easiest method is "persuasive training" where the only thing it needs is building a chemistry with your pets. A dog is like a growing kid who have every tendency to learn from their leads. Do you know dogs actually read minds? But u need to bridge the communication gap in order to realize this natural gift of theirs, build a connection between your mind and theirs, read into their sub-.conscious...I never chose any particular method in training my dogs any of these social attribute, it happened naturally...

I can leave my dogs indoors and leave a plate of chicken on the table, and i'll be rest assured that even if I go for 2hrs, i'll meet the plate of food untouched...All I need do is give them a warning look and an occasional "don't go there, its mine"....They tend to read me even without saying a word.

This is the point where I support smileysmiles' opinion on the use of body language but all these cuts down to the chemistry thingy...

Now the question is this, How do you build a chemistry between you and your dogs? I'll ask you this, when was the last time you fed your dogs from your hands? For those who give pet tabs and dog supplements, do you open up their mouths to insert the tabs or you just put it in their food? Have you ever slept in the same bed with your dog? All these things build bonds but most people don't know, they believe its all about keeping dogs locked up in cages and kennels...

You might think i'm weird but could you believe I actually take baths with my dogs, they've seen me nude on several occasions...When I eat, they all sit around me, they wont even give me a second glance cos they've been trained not to stare...All these things builds bonds. They see themselves as a part of me, they understand my moods, they learn through love and not thru pain....

I can go on and on... but i'll rather not bore you with my talks...

What a pity I'm just replying this thread 3 years later.
Honestly, this is literally one of the best write ups I've seen about dogs and their owners. Some people just get dogs for the means of making profit (breeding) and if they're not working out as planned they get rid of the dogs, some get dogs and lock them up in cages or chain them throughout the day and some beat their dogs like thieves out of anger, then I begin to wonder if the owners are beasts or humans. Some like it when they're feared by their dogs and don't know the difference between a dog being scared of you and a dog that respects you. I really love the way your dog naturally sees and respects you as the alpha. Some say you loose your alpha status if your dog gets too clingy with you and that's a big fat lie. There's one thing I also noticed about your write up, you didn't teach your dog basic commands, he just picked them up through your body language. Dogs are great masters of body language. I love the fact that you don't have a difficult time in communicating with your dog (which is very easy because he respects you as the alpha), a dog will always do what will please it's leader. I hope y'all learnt from his write up. I hope the dog is still alive though, it's been 3 years now
Cheers ���
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Nobody: 12:13am On Dec 09, 2018
Wish I had one sef even if it's an unhappy one cry. Busy reading you guys comments like a deserted chicken. cry cry
Re: Easy Tricks To Teach Your Puppy by Nicklaus619(m): 11:25am On Dec 13, 2018
It's really heart breaking, I lost my dog to a Pavo virus last year, I was a novice to dog thingy then, his name was Vegas. cry i loved him like mad, when he was 3 month old, he started backing, and comparing the loud and deep sound of his voice to his seize then it's just funny, grin , he is a retriever dog and very harsh, because I never allowed him to see people except my girlfriend, Vegas prefer to stay hungry than to get feed by someone else except my girlfriend or my. Self, I kept him in my room and I started training him when he was little, he poed on my tiles ones and brought him close to his poo and I asked him to sit beside the poo, I quarreled him and he was giving me this sweet pity puppy look, since then he never poo in the house again, I have trained him to alway poo beside the flower. Reading you guys comments here brought tears to my eyes as u guys reminded me of my sweet Las-Vegas. cry I wish anyone here could gimme one for adoption here.

#Adios #Papi cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dog For Sale (localasian) / My Pup"s Belly Is Getting Bigger / Caucasian Pups For Sale. Females and Males available. You gonna love them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.