Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? (5018 Views)

YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market / Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by alesh4real(m): 8:58am On Aug 20, 2006
Hi, my Dearest people, I am a Disabled from UniBadan, in Lagos. I wonder if people like me av any hope in d Naija of 2day. If it is not job mobility, experience, years or lobby, age, it will be 'go to headquarters'. Isn't it funny that I have never being invited for an interview nor test.

Thanx to a clue on my CV about my disability. Is there no justification for my NYSC in Sokoto, pains to finance my education and lots of sacrifices?
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by gigitte(f): 9:57am On Aug 20, 2006
oga alesh you did not tell us what you studied now?
after that i think some suggestions will be forthcoming
also what kind of places did you apply for work and what did you hope to do there
if you dont mind. what is your disability
and what did you do during NYSC
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by alesh4real(m): 10:16am On Aug 20, 2006
Thanks. I studied Microbiology, am on Elbow crotches i.e av bad legs but one beta one. Av applied 2 nicon,gtb,gn, etb,nestle etc. For NYSC, I was wt Gen. Hospital Lab. I don't mind any productive job. Hope this info is useful.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Seun(m): 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2006
Why not create your own job? If you create something that's valuable, do you think customers would refuse to buy it because you're disabled? If you were the one who developed Nairaland, would people refuse to join because the owner is disabled? No! So the best protection against job discrimination is entrepreneurship. Why not try it?

do you write stories, by the way?
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by gigitte(f): 6:52pm On Aug 20, 2006
oga alesh abeg no vex
but was it one two or what?
anyway microbiology is an excellent degree, and crutches is not so bad, at least u don't need wheelchair sturves which naija is lacking.

so oga alesh what kind of job did u apply for in all those companies
i think since u did your nysc with a gen hospital lab why not think of becoming a lab tech for a company like chevron, let me know if us interested and i can see if it is feasible
furthermore as seun said, why not think about setting up your own thing. u know u could end up opening a lab company that does blood adn drug tests adn things like that

holla back
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by alesh4real(m): 7:56pm On Aug 21, 2006
THANKS Gigittee, av 2 bad legs, 1 is a bit shorter and weaker while d other is stronger except at the thigh but I can stand upright&even dance wtout holding anything. I don't mind d chevron stuff. My project ws on Oil-degradatn ( Envtal Microb). Anyway, I am really thinkn ahead but whr is d capital? I blv life goes on. Thanx alot.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Seun(m): 8:54pm On Aug 21, 2006
There are some businesses that don't require much capital, if one is ready to humble onesself. The difference between a job and busines is that even though the business might not be prestigous, there's no limit to your income!
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by mustafar1: 4:10am On Aug 22, 2006
dont know much about microbiology but one thing i know is that searching for a job in banking might not always be the best option.

if possible why not take away that clue that u think gives away ur disability and see wat comes out of it. u get a chance to interview and u prove to them that ur disability is no hinderance to ur performing ur duties. (u prove it not by telling them it wont but by proving that u are as good at wat u do as the guy standing next to u if not better.)
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:15pm On Aug 22, 2006
true

Try writing a nromal CV without indicating your disability, If you are invited for an interview, you can call them to discuss your situation or just turn up

what does the law say about disability in nigeria anyway?
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by onyek: 5:32pm On Aug 22, 2006
I read about a disabled gentleman who has a Msc degree and runs his own internet radio station. It's very successful and lots of people tune in to listen to him. Find a niche(of which there are lots in Nigeria) and set up your own radio station at live365.com
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by bucknor33(m): 9:15pm On Aug 22, 2006
Big brother,
I am marvelled that u still feel disabled. Well it depends ON how u mean by disablilty. if u must know in life,every body gets a form of disability in one time or the other.If i may asked,if u are cash trapped,what do u call that? Or a person that did not go to school like you did? Or those who do not have a job? Plez dont use that Language on yourself again.
Did you watch Galaxy television yesterday when one guy on wheel chair was interviewed? Well some clue,he is Mikey Dread, a product of Unilag,a musician and is currently a clerk to the Ikorodu.So I begin to wonder about your own state,Do u know some graduates cannot use the computer.Bros which one you dey na? Abeg think out an ability from what you term disability plz.God hide a talent in you plz discover it.
Dont give that pitiable excuse again ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

All the same,One love.
ME2U
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by dennylove(m): 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2006
of course, YES,do you know that DISABLE peoples do extra-ordinary things?infact,there's something they can do that the ABLES can not do,even the deaf n dumb have hope not to talk of DISABLED GRADUATES for that matter.but the real truth is that EVERYBODY IS DISASBLED.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by mammyword: 12:35pm On Aug 23, 2006
HI alesh first im wonderin if ive met u does RCF ui ring any bells well i salute ur courage to have done nysc in sokoto and i heard theres a bank in nigeria who has a disabled top gun im not sure which one but that means you can be wht ever u wanna be after all, u have come this far. i agree that u shd delete ur ability status from ur cv until u get to be at an interview also make sure u are not markd out at test venues dont mind that some pple just dont know that stuff like that doesnt matter so they wont even let u pass the test even if u cld pass it therfore,make sure u dont get marked out at test venues wen called.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by alesh4real(m): 9:34pm On Aug 23, 2006
THANK U ALL, mammywd, YES, I was wt RCF, U.I & RCCF, Sokoto. It's nt sprsn 2 me to be known by a nairalander. I was very active& famous in U.I& SOK, but u know dt 'ireti pipe nmu okan shaare'. Anyway,I apprct u all& prms 2 adhr and 2 tk sm steps while exptn ur kind responses d more.
Thanks and God bless u all. Later.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by nigeriaone: 1:58am On Aug 25, 2006
alesh4real , do you have a computer at home, if you do? will you like to work for us at http://www.NigeriaONE.com we would pay you,  not like an oil company but something to start with for awhile,
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by alesh4real(m): 8:02am On Aug 25, 2006
THANX, No, I don't av any at home but I'm comp. litr. I use cafe& my phone thanx to vmobile. ANYWAY, I apprct ur effort& won't mind any more of such. GOD bless u.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by nigeriaone: 7:34am On Aug 26, 2006
Ok, I see, email me, at Info@nigeriaONE.com
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Ofuks(m): 5:56pm On Aug 15, 2007
Guys!

Disability is a state of mind!I am physically challenged (the fingers on my right hand are very tiny and stunted) but I am a survivor ! Infact I have a passion for overcoming challenges!I am managing in the head office of one of the leading banks in Nigeria and I dont have any big shot looking out for me, I know that banks are always recruiting 24/7 and I know of lots of banks that employ people based on merit.I suggest you put in more efforts in the job search and use what God gave you (disability) to get what you want.Dont foget that there are lots of kind Nigerians out there who are willing and ready to help a brother, Pray hard and work smart! It is well!
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by fuzek: 11:40pm On Aug 15, 2007
who says 9jerians are bad and dont love, all d comments v read here v actually brot me to tears cry cry and im so moved by all ur comments, it means we v 9jerians are good, God bless yall and help y'all in ur shortcomings. kiss kiss

@topic, uve head ur fellow pple. we all love you and im sure dat since u could find love here, how much more in d society, i pray ul meet wit d favor of God. disabilty is no excuse, if didnt stop u from graduatin and even servin, m sure d sky is d starting point, just be patient and keep on tryin. neva give up ok and know dat we care and love u very much ok. wink wink wink

come back to share ur testimonies wit us ok. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 16, 2007
@Topic

Yes, there is hope! wink. Disability is not Inability

I think there is a lot that the Physically Challenged individuals can learn from Cosmas Okoli, the CEO of MAARDEC, Nigeria. www.maardecng.org. I met with him some few months back and was highly challenged by his courage. He doesn't see himself as a disabled fellow but sees himself great, he is into sport, politics, runs his personal business NGO, I guess he started lowly too.

As a PC, You need not wait for white collar jobs, because you rarely find one. I'd suggest you learn to discover your talent and build it fast. Go into lucrative business and you'll be happy you did.

All the best wink
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by ebos(m): 12:52pm On Aug 16, 2007
The guy said no capital to start up business, yet we said go into business with any little capital. Now, you can help by telling him the type of business he can go into with little capital and then offer advice where it is necessary. I know a lot of people can easily say, go into business, there are many you can start with little capital, but cannot point out one of such business (es). Only someone who was in that position will understand the poster of this thread. I am not trying to discourage him, but I feel if we can help more by pointing out such businesses that requires little capital.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by LearnBook: 1:46pm On Aug 16, 2007
Ok, Here goes: Businesses that require little or no capital:

1. Remote IT Support
2. Web Design
3. Proof Reading
4. Blogging

Thanks
(Aid is not the answer to Poverty)
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2007
ebos:

The guy said no capital to start up business, yet we said go into business with any little capital. Now, you can help by telling him the type of business he can go into with little capital and then offer advice where it is necessary. I know a lot of people can easily say, go into business, there are many you can start with little capital, but cannot point out one of such business (es). Only someone who was in that position will understand the poster of this thread. I am not trying to discourage him, but I feel if we can help more by pointing out such businesses that requires little capital.

Hi man, check the date to this post, I guess since Last Year August. wink tongue grin I'm sure the poster must have gotten something tangible by now.

So, our present responses is sure for those who find themselves in similar situation and not necessarily the poster who was without a capital base? .
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by fesse(f): 3:25pm On Aug 16, 2007
@ poster,
there is absolute hope for you.
as somebody said disability is not inability.

God knows why your condition is like that. In everything you have to give God all the Glory.

I advice you start from somewhere i.e start with small firms, our Nigerian banks, companies recruit on whom you know, so i suggest u start with small firms and try create your own and be your own boss. From doing so,surely God will visit you and your dream will come thru.

Believe God because HE never fail His people. Good Luck.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by fatty27: 4:42pm On Aug 16, 2007
Seun, you are a wicked soul. You and your enterpreneural doctrine. You forget that the same problems afflict able body men and women. If it is all about establishing business, you would not find a single able man jobless. The challenges facing diables are more daunting than you can imagined. Nigeria simply don't love them.

Yes, there is hope.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by fatty27: 5:09pm On Aug 16, 2007
Olowo Tee, I have long been yearning to meet Cosmos Okoli, could you be kind to give me a clue how I can meet him?
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 16, 2007
fatty27:

Olowo Tee, I have long been yearning to meet Cosmos Okoli, could you be kind to give me a clue how I can meet him?

oh sorry for that,  .

Guess Seun's idea wasn't welcomed by you. embarassed  embarassed Sorry for that, and please, may I meet you. Or do you fall into the said category. I'd like to meet you too. I can feel your infuriation right here. really vexed!!!!
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Seun(m): 6:12pm On Aug 16, 2007
All over the forum I've been posting vacancies and nobody, abled or disabled, responds to them. If you don't have capital why not come to us with your idea and see whether or not we will help you to establish it?
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Ofuks(m): 6:35pm On Aug 16, 2007
Alesh dear,

I served in Sokoto State too (2005/2006). Dont ever allow the comments/contributions on this thread weigh u down, as they say"its the person that wears the shoes that knows where it pinches most". But one thing is for sure be strong, serve God and trust that there is no smoke without fire! Trust me when I say that you will never beg 4 food! Start by working on your attitude and your mindset, love yourself and accept yourself for the way your are, and remember that no amount of self pity is goin to change your situation.Never give up! For now, I'll try my best to give u tips and info that I think will help u. chat or mail me on ofukwu4real@yahoo.com.

warm regards.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by fatty27: 7:03pm On Aug 16, 2007
How do we contact you, seun?
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by Seun(m): 8:31pm On Aug 16, 2007
www.seunosewa.com - you can find my email address there.
Re: Any Hope For Disabled Nigerian Graduates? by alesh4real(m): 10:15pm On Aug 16, 2007
Thanx 2 All.
Ofuks, I was d Corpers Welf Assc PRESIDENT, Rabah, Sok(2004-2005). Pls, I can't access messenger cos I'm posting this wt my phone.
I knw Cosmas Okoli in person.He's our President in one Disabled Assc.
Sm of us c 'DISABLED' as a social group nd has nothing 2 do wt hw I see myself. I believe dt smday I'll definitely share my testimonies here.
Pls, All &d guy who wants 2 c me in Agege, u can contact me at lovealesh@yahoo.ca & 08027479305 &add me 2 ur messenger.
Still hoping 4 a rewarding job.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The National Youth Service Corps? / Cornerstone Invite .....for Real? / Help Me Get A FG Job And Take my Six months Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.