Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

My Thoughts On Recent Events In Egypt, Indonesia, Sri Lanka And Greece - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thoughts On Recent Events In Egypt, Indonesia, Sri Lanka And Greece (664 Views)

Buhari Receives Medical Doctors From Greece (photos) / Contrast World Reaction To Recent Events In Nigeria (shiite And Biafra) / FG Debunks ISIS Figures On Recent Boko Haram Attacks And Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Thoughts On Recent Events In Egypt, Indonesia, Sri Lanka And Greece by johnie: 9:25am On Jan 27, 2015
I hope Nigerians have been monitoring recent political events in Egypt, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Greece.

Well, I have. Here are my thoughts...
Re: My Thoughts On Recent Events In Egypt, Indonesia, Sri Lanka And Greece by johnie: 9:56am On Jan 27, 2015
EGYPT

It is exactly four years after the people of Egypt told Hosni Mubarak that they had had enough of his 30 year rule.

They massed in Tarhir Square demanding that the ex-military ruler turned President step down from power.

Adamant Mubarak initially refused to step down arguing that the country would face serious challenges without him.

Hilary Clinton, then US Secretary of State proclaimed "Our assessment is that the Egyptian government is stable and is looking for ways to respond to the legitimate needs and interests of the Egyptian people" in support of their long-time ally, Mubarak.

Eventually, Mubarak caved in and the army led by Field Marshal Tantawi took over the reigns of power.

Seven weeks after her earlier proclamation, Clinton was physically at Tarhir Square, now cleared of protesters by the army, declared "To see
where this revolution happened and all that it has meant to the world is extraordinary for me." She added that it was "just thrilling to see where this happened."

If that is not hypocrisy, what will you call it?

The same Clinton who refused to classify Boko Haram a terrorist organisation now calls President Jonathan incompetent.

I am not surprised.

She knows that next year when she campaigns for the US Presidency, the Republicans will have serious questions to ask her about this, the death of the US Ambassador to Libya in a violent attack in Tripoli as well as other things she bungled while in office.

Anyway, Mubarak was hauled into prison along with his two sons (one the heir apparent) by the military junta who took over the reigns of power ostensibly on an interim basis to stabilise the country.

Was that the change the Arab Spring Uprising revolutionaries called for? I seriously doubt it!

As a matter of fact, a sizable number of the arrow heads of the revolution are currently either in prison or exile.

What exactly did they think would happen? Did they think they could seize political power without the established power blocs - the military, the
old faces in Egyptian politics and the Muslim Brotherhood?

Eventually the military organised elections which the Muslim Brotherhood won to the consternation of secularists and the revolutionaries who
disputed the outcome of the elections. By this time, the revolutionaries who had instigated the earlier change had been weakened.

Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood President, clamped down on protesters hauling more of them into prison until he was also toppled and clamed into prison. He has not been brought to court again since his show in the court where he claimed he was still the legitimate president.

El Asisi, the army general who ousted Morsi promised elections and did conduct the elections.

The twist in the tale is that he eventually contested in that election and is now the civilian president of Egypt. Just like Mubarak who was also a military chief before he conducted elections and became president.

Exactly four years this week after the Egyptian uprising started Egypt has come full circle, his sons Gamal and Alaa walked home free men (for now). They are free to continue to lead their normal lives.

Mubarak himself has been acquitted of charges leveled against him and he is presently in a military hospital awaiting release.

What has changed since Mubarak's last days in office?

Four years ago, anti-government protesters clashed with police and many were arrested and clamped into detention just like they did this last Sunday.

Can someone educate me - what has changed?

Vultures are always waiting in the wings to capitalise on disorderly change
Re: My Thoughts On Recent Events In Egypt, Indonesia, Sri Lanka And Greece by johnie: 6:30pm On Jan 28, 2015
Pardon the "break in transmission."

Nairaland Spambot banned me.

I am wondering why.

Transmission follows...
Re: My Thoughts On Recent Events In Egypt, Indonesia, Sri Lanka And Greece by johnie: 7:51pm On Feb 02, 2015
INDONESIA

Exactly 100 days after a popular victory at the polls swept the current Indonesian President, Joko Widodo into office. the people are now wondering if things have really changed.

The first two salvos he fired were hailed by his people.

The first was the decision to blow up foreign fishing vessels found in his nation's territorial waters. This decision initially met with resistance from his navy who refused to carry out the order at least two times before Mr. Widodo asserted his authority as Commander-In-Chief. Now Widodo claims his country's fishermen are better for it even though he has stepped on the toes of his neighboring countries.

The second salvo was the decision to execute convicted drug dealers. Unfortunately, a Nigerian was among the first casualties of this decision which led to the recall of the ambassadors of Brazil and Netherlands and protests from the governments of Nigeria and Australia - all of whose nationals are among the convicts.

A third salvo was not so palatable to his people. Widodo has followed the examples of India and Malaysia by removing subsidy on petrol resulting in 30 percent increase in petrol prices. Protests against the removal lasted no longer than a week before dissipating.

(1) (Reply)

The Hipocrisy Of The West In International Politics! / Army Officers Write Open Letter To Jonathan, Urge Obama, Ban-ki Moon To Interven / I Now Pronounce Senator Iyiola Omisore As The Governor Of...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.